PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

doddy
31-01-05, 19:44
hello there, hope your day has been better than mine!!

ive had panic attacks for about 12 months now.....was feeling and sleeping a little better but today ive had an attack for most of the day.

I dont tend to get the racing heart anymore just thoughts that i must be a manic depressive then look for reasons why this must be.....last week i thought i must be schzorenic (excuse the spelling!!) and again thought about this all day into panic.

does this happen to anyone else??

the attacks are getting more berable but today i thought i cant cope anymore and must see the doctor....then when i calm down and stop worrying i feel ok then i worry about the swing in mood and think i must be a manic depressive!!

anyone else do this??

ive never been on antidepressents as my doctor said i could get through it without but today i feel like my mind and body are tiring.......should i try and keep strong and battle through it?? my worry is that antidepressants might not help and id just worry about taking them!! id go and research the one he offered and you can always find something bad about them and yes id find it!!! and then guess what....yep,,,,id panic about it!!!

any help and support would be appreciated.

just at home now and feel fine again.......wondering what all the fuss was about!!!

doddy

vernon
31-01-05, 20:13
hi Dody. I think lots do the same. Yesterday I was feeling fine and doing a bit in the garden then within a split second felt realy bad anxipus and down, a horrible feeling. from being ok and doing things to wanting to lie in bed and die in a split second. But I kept going and trying to ignore the thoughts even though hard and they went again. I didnt want any antidepresants but got to the stage where I thought well if I feel this bad what have I to lose. And heared from lots on this site about Cipralex, They made New sarah much better and now after a year she dont seem to be having a bad time getting off them. So I asked doctor for this Med. I been on them about 8 weeks now and feel much better than i did. I wasnt leaving the house or doing anything but go out most days now and seem to waant to do more. Doctor and shrik said they are one of the safest meds out and not to strong either. But that is everyones own choise to go on meds or not. But I am glad Sarah told me how good they done her, and they seem to work for me too. Take Care Vernon

jude
31-01-05, 20:23
Hi Doddy,
You are desribing my thoughts exactly. I find it really hard to cope with the constant negative thoughts. Iv read loads of books and self help theories. Each one telling me its my own mind doing it but cant stop the thoughts. I too am too afraid to take meds. I rang thr GP during a panic attack last week and cant even remember much of what I said I was that out of it. But it is just anxiety. I believe that now (Its took long enough to convince myself). I know it feels like you are losing control, but you are not. Its your decision as to whether or not you try meds, either way, we can stop this illness. We just have to believe we can. Thats the hard part. Im sure you will get plenty of encouragement her. Take care. Jude

seh1980
31-01-05, 20:51
hi Doddy,

i think that lots of us experience the same - it's all part of being a 'worrier'. Whether you go on meds or not is entirely up to you as they help some people and don't do much for others. If you do go on them, I think that the trick is not to read any info about them and that way you will have nothing to panic about!!

Sarah :D

stimpy
01-02-05, 09:22
Yep and me ...

I have to admit my anti-depressants have been a life saver.
But not all anti-depressants suit everyone, it can take 2 or 3 attempts to find the right one that works for you.

Just keep telling yourself there is nothing to fuss about and that you will be fine. It takes some practice to convince yourself. But it helps.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Meg
01-02-05, 15:28
One way to decide whether to try meds is to assess where you are in your recovery journey.

If you are swamped in panic constantly and struggling to function and are not getting help or relief from anywhere then meds may give you a good break in which to help yourself.

If you are gaining understanding and learning coping skills and can honestly say you are not getting any better with lots of self help and are dropping off into depression, exhaustion and misery then meds can be of great help.

If you have seen your worst days behind you and have got an understanding of the process and are seeing some progress and some chinks of daylight and these are slowly becoming windows of normality with some very bad blip times intermitantly -you will do fine without meds.

It is a hard path but it is doable.

Positivity, proactiveness, perserverence and practice.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
01-02-05, 18:16
Hi Doddy

It does come back to remind us that it is still there doesn't it?

How are you doing now? Feel any better?

I don't think you need anti-depressants. I think you have achieved some much without them that you can move forward on this one alone.

Good luck.

Nicola

doddy
01-02-05, 19:30
what can I say but thank you for all your kind words and support......a truly great bunch of people.......and we should never forget that.

nic.....feel pretty good today.....in fact felt almost fine all day!!!

for the last two months i have actually felt like im back in the land of the living.........but the blips still hurt.

went to the doc's new guy as ive just moved house. very understanding....said no to the anti depressents as ive moved forward so much in the last 6 months.....told me i would get there......and it the great words of Meg to have some patience.

prescribed me some betablockrs but to only take when i feel an attack coming on and said i could see the consellor.

this was all brought on after i hit my head and knocked myself out last year......what he said was id obviously not caused any major brain damage but probably some slight disturbance that make me feel a little odd at times that can increase the anxiety and resulting the attack....said its almost like post traumatic stress as it was quite traumatic......quite common in people who have a slight anxiuos disposition he said. he said i must accept that i have had this accident and all that has followed and accept that i have changed with all thats gone on but look for the positives.......the brain will heal slowly....painfully slowly and that these clithes are just part of the recovery.........

he said all this will sink into the past in time......and time is a great healer.

cant belive i feel this good today after yesterday.........the thought of being a manic depressive is not true at all!!!!

its the worry that gets me down at times but today i feel strong again........but it is only with your support......today him about this site and he made a note of the address and said he would take a look.

once again thanks for you kindness, support, friendship and understanding.

love ya all!!!

Doddy

Meg
01-02-05, 19:59
Hey Doddy,

Good decision for you I think... You have done soo well - you're just having blips now.

Send me his addy in one of your emails and I'll send him some flyers for his other patients .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
01-02-05, 21:57
Doddy

Great news! I am glad it was just a blip for you and you will soon get back on track.

You are one of our star pupils so I need you to get better and reassure others lol.

You are doing so well and we are proud of you!

Big hug mate
xx

Nicola