PDA

View Full Version : Different types of Migraine's and symptoms

mirry
18-10-07, 12:10
Hi , It appears there are alot of people on here that are suffering with migraines or silent migraines.
I have been suffering for the past 5 years with both migraine and "unknowingly" silent migraine.

At last I have a diagnosis but really do wonder how many people are suffering with these problems yet do not know it ?

My silent Migraines effect me like this ...........

feeling tired alot.
dizzy.
walking off balanced.
a falling feeling in my head.
feeling like my head is getting pulled towards the floor.
feeling the floor shift to the side very fast.
feeling blurrey eyed (even when wearing my glasses)
sensitive to light.
BUT NO HEADACHE !!!
you can read more about these types of Migraines here .....
http:www.emedicine.com/ent/topic727.htm
------------------------------------------

my headache migraine ,usually start with a pressure over my eye ,then spreads over my head ,usually on one side of the head, then I get a throbbing sensation that gets severe and makes me feel sick, I have to close my eyes and hide in a peaceful dark room. I usually get this type of Migraine around the time the month.......it is called a menstrual Migraine.

living with these problems can cause alot of anxiety (especially the silent Migraines) , simple tention headaches can be a mild MIGRAINE , and I have come to realise that alot of Gps dont know an awful lot about these problems.

The good thing is , once recognised there ways you can control it , with either preventive medications or diet.
Hope this helps at least one person who is suffering :yesyes: .

belle
18-10-07, 12:29
Hi there..

Mine will start off as a "normal" headache, but then it will settle itself over one of my eyes and stay there. Last one i had i was at work. It was horrendous. I could barely keep my eye open. I had to go home and lay with my sleeping eye mask on :(

I've only ever had two as far as i am concerned, but reading what you've put....who knows?

x

kittykat
18-10-07, 12:34
Hi,

I've just recently started to get these, mines starts with a feeling of nausea and then i get bright shapes with jaggy edgys in my eye / line of vision and it flickers ( hope this is normal and not a brain tumour starting), I take an ibuprofen and just shut my eyes for a while and it does eventually lift. Any advice on these is very helpful for me .

xx

Elly 2
18-10-07, 14:12
Hi Mirry, what an informative post, I have been a chronic migraine sufferer for the past 20 years. I get them every week and once the pain has kicked in they last at least 24 hours, I am always vomiting approx every half hour for the first 12 hours. With me, the pain usually starts in the right nostril, almost in the eye socket then spreads to my head as well. Unfortunately because I suffer with Reynauds Syndrome (cold hands and feet, a circulatory condition) I can't take medication which makes the blood vessels constrict which is the most effective medication for migraine, so I just have to wait it out! I do sympthasize with anyone who suffers from migraine as it is so debilitating and dictates how we live our lives as I'm sure you already know. I can't tell you how many times I have had to cancel appts, holidays and outings because of them.
Big hugs
Elly x

no1worrier
18-10-07, 23:42
I have suffered from migraines since having my 2 children so think it's a hormonal thing. I also seem to get them around my period. The main symptom of mine is a feeling of numbness on one side of my face (like when you've been to dentist). Also a piercing pain in eye socket. They usually last approx 24 hours.

Pickle
19-10-07, 19:54
Hi Mirry

As I explained in your previous post I suffer from Hemiplegic migraines, which can be mistaken for a stroke, which in my case, resulted in an emergency hospital admission in August. The reason this type can be confused with a stroke are the symptoms. I don't suffer with all of them but the ones I do are:

No headache or head pain at all
Hemiplegia (paralysis on one side of the body)
Impaired consciousness resulting in confusion
Ataxia (defective muscle coordination)
The onset of the hemiplegia may be sudden and simulate a stroke.
Phonophobia and/or photophobia
Speech loss/impairment - I know what I want to say (1) but I cant get the words out (2) everything comes out back to front/wrong words
Loss of reflexes

An MRI, CAT scan and numerous blood tests finally resulted in the diagnosis of this type of migraine. Apparently it's genetic but altho my mum suffered with migraines, she suffered with the classic type.

Altho it was a scary thing to go thro, I now have an explaination and feel i can cope should it happen again

Take care