PDA

View Full Version : Solution based approach

matt1981
18-10-07, 13:40
My psychologist used this phrase which I found interesting. Instead of talking about how we feel to friends, counsellors, therapists why not explore ways of solving it. Find new strategies to deal with our anxiety/depression/panic etc.

He said "If you have a broken leg and you go to the emergency room and talk about your broken leg; your leg will still be broken. What you need to do is get it fixed by actually DOING something about it.

The same can be said for out problems. "I am feeling depressed/anxious/panicky" what can I DO about it?

Probably not explaining it very well but I hope you all understand. :)

matt

Pink Panic
18-10-07, 16:28
Hello Matt,

Interesting post! I for one don't actually understand what you are saying re DOING something about the problem.
I notice you use the old broken leg scenario and the only problem with using this is that with a broken leg people can actually SEE the cast and comisserate with you, take your arm and help you and there usually is a time limit when the cast will be removed and you can continue on with your usual life. Anxiety unfortunately cannot be seen and others don't always empathise with you when you explain how you are feeling as many simply unfortunately do not understand Mental health problems!!

I am sure that ther is no-one on here who is not trying to solve theirAnxiety that's why this Forum is crammed full of symptoms and others giving tips as to how to DEAL with the problem.
Sometimes we are actually not strong enough to be able to do something about it as it is a very draining illness.

Perhaps your therapist would be kind enough to give you their thoughts on how to solve it as maybe I have missed something.