PDA

View Full Version : doctors hard to get hold of and worrying myself sick

Stagestruck
14-05-20, 10:23
I dont post here often, but I do read and it often helps calm me down when I’m going off on one. But this time my anxiety is spiralling beyond the point where reading is of any help. My doctor is very difficult to get hold of, the website says only phone in an emergency (due to corona), and to book a telephone online. When you try to do that it just says appointments unavailable.

I’ve been suffering from what I thought was reflux since the start of lockdown here in the UK - about 7 or 8 weeks . A noxious foul chemical sort of taste in my mouth, most of the time but worse after eating. It goes into the back of my nose, irritating it and making me sneeze. My mouth, throat and tongue burn and tingle at times.

I did manage to get a telephone appointment with the doctor two weeks ago (after trying for about three weeks). It was very brief, she said it did sound like reflux and gave me a ppi (esomeprazole) for a month to “calm things down” I expressed my concern about ppi s and she said we could try it for a month and see how it went. No follow up appointment offered.

I’ve been taking them for two weeks and they haven’t done a lot of good really. Then last night I suddenly had an attack of diarrhoea, and things weren’t quite the normal colour (sorry). Sort of paler (but not very pale) orangy, yellowy brown. Thing are more solidified this morning, but it’s still a bit paler and yellower than normal.

I keep checking my skin and eyes to see if they’ve gone yellow (they haven’t - yet).

But I’ve gone into full panic mode and my brain has hit on pancreatic cancer as the cause. I was already wound up, worried about the damage all the acid was doing (has already done) to my esophagus, but the worry has jumped to PC now. I’m not getting any pain anywhere, just a foul taste of chemicals and the stomach upset. I had griping pains during the evening of the stomach upset, but ok now, it was relieved after several toilet visits.

I am also trying lifestyle changes (not suggested by doctor, but found online) such as low acid diet, not eating late, sleeping in left side etc. And I started taking a probiotic. Two days ago I added an Actimel probiotic drink, as well as taking the probiotic tablets I’ve been taking for about three weeks. Could too much probiotic cause diarrhoea?

I really don’t feel I can call this an emergency and ring the doctor, I know I need to wait to see if my stomach settles on it’s own. And I suppose I ought to do the final two weeks of the ppi to give them a chance to work.

But it’s very difficult when your anxiety is screaming at you constantly that you could have something awful and it needs sorting now.

Amurfina
14-05-20, 10:43
Hi 👋🏻 I understand your anxiety completely. Last October I started with reflux, pains in my chest and a permanent lump feeling in my throat. The pain and discomfort pervaded for two weeks with no relief from any over the counter meds and I was in tears when I went to the doctor, convinced myself it was oesophageal cancer (I lost parent to it a few years ago). Doctor was very nice and said I was typically too young (I’m mid forties) and it sounded very much like reflux. I was prescribed one 20mg tablet of omeprazole and to come back if it didn’t work in two weeks. I took the tablets and it made it worse. I could feel the acid rebounding and burning my throat, the taste in my mouth was foul. I worried myself sick which didn’t help my symptoms. I was convinced I’d have to have a camera test etc as it was getting worse. Also had a cough. I literally was in so much pain I cried with it and couldn’t sleep at night for pain and worrying. I couldn’t fathom how it couldn’t be anything but serious when it was persistent pain. I went back to the GP and they said they’d try one more thing which was to change me to esomeprazole and doubled the dose to 40mg. (One tablet twice a day). Within a week it had all but gone as fast as it had come on and nothing since. All that worry and anxiety. It’s easy to say don’t worry. I’m here because I have such bad health anxiety that as soon as
I get over one problem another one replaces it almost immediately. Do try to accept that there could be a million different innocuous reasons why you have the symptoms you have before it’s the most serious ones. It may just be you need to change the tablets to different ones that suit you better. It worked for me. Toilet troubles could all be caused by the stress of it all too.

Scass
14-05-20, 10:44
It’s a scary time no doubt.
When I had bad reflux, omeprazole didn’t help me really but you are suppose to take it for a few weeks. Gaviscon helped me much more, also eating smaller portions, not having too much fat, or spice. Certain foods Mande me worse whatever the size.

Your stools will change all the time, especially when you’re stressed and eating differently. Try not to pay too much notice unless it goes on for a few days.

Normally the doctor would want to see you after a few weeks on omeprazole to see how it’s working for you. But I don’t know your case or history so I can’t really speculate on that.

I would definitely try making some dietary changes, maybe trying gaviscon, and also trying to reduce your stress a tad.

X

Stagestruck
14-05-20, 11:13
Thank you both for replying. I know need to calm down and recognise the symptoms I have got, instead of constantly looking for ones that I haven’t. I also have a tendency to skip from disease to another, when I’m at my worst. It’s harder at the moment, the doctors really seem to have put up a brick wall, which is very difficult to get over, unless you have a real medical emergency. When I go to my doctors’ website, the home page is all red capital letters and I think that knowing I don’t have easier access to them is making my situation worse. I’ve seen doctors on tv saying they’re worried that people are’t coming forward for treatment etc; then they really need to look at the messages they’re putting out about their accessibility.

I have quite a long-standing problem with heartburn, which was managed for about 8 years with ranitidine. There was a scare about that, so I just stopped taking it last autumn. Was fine for a few months, then suddenly started with this foul burning mouth, but no heartburn. 8 years ago I was prescribed Omeprazole and then lansoprazole, but they gave me side effects. I can’t remember what, but it was in my record. That’s why she tried esomeprazole this time.

I think if I can manage to get an appointment in two weeks time, I need to level with them as well and talk about anxiety.

carriewriting
14-05-20, 11:25
Hi, I have had reflux for years and take omeprazole. For me it works unless I am super stressed, eat spicy foods or chilli or drink alcohol. Sleeping on an incline is also a must. If you haven't already, raise the head of your bed and try to do some meditation while you're waiting for your appointment. Sending you positive thoughts.

Stagestruck
15-05-20, 07:29
I ended up ringing the doctor. He wants me to take in stool samples. Asked directly about PC and he said that he couldn’t say definitely not, it’s one of the things it could be, but there were many many things to explore before getting to that point. And if I asked him did he think I had PC from what I’d told him, he’d say he didn’t think so, it wouldn’t be part of his differential diagnosis. Not sure I’m reassured by that to be honest, isn’t this how people don’t get the right diagnosis for months?

Stomach is churning, it does feel like a stomach upset or bug. Not sure if that’s anxiety though.

Scass
15-05-20, 08:13
No, this is the same path I followed. Omeprazole for 2 weeks, stool sample to test for that bacteria I can’t pronounce, then I had an abdominal scan and an endoscopy. If you had symptoms that alarmed them they would perhaps act differently.