PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Out of Lockdown ...

Pages : [1] 2

WiseMonkey
14-05-20, 22:51
We came out of lockdown yesterday (Thursday) so it's business as usual, except for clubs and pubs who have to wait another ten days to open. Schools are back next Monday but parents can keep children at home for longer if they wish as there are educational resources online for one term (12 weeks).

Social distancing and hygiene measures are still happening and people cannot congregate in groups of anymore than 10, the exception is funerals (50 people).

The govt. also released it's new 'recovery budget' designed to get the country up and running. The main focus is on creating new jobs as unemployment continues to rise due to those who have lost their jobs during the Covid crisis, plus those who have returned from overseas. The govt. is borrowing lots of money to distribute so yes there will be lots of debt in the years to come!

This all coincides with our third day of zero confirmed cases :)

Phill2
15-05-20, 00:56
We had 5 weeks of zero cases here in Central QLD and a new one that's been described by the govt as "concerning" popped up today.
We ease up on restrictions tonight.
Fingers crossed everyone does the right thing.

Phill2
15-05-20, 01:40
UPDATE
Turns out it's a nurse in an aged care facility.
Here we go again.

AntsyVee
15-05-20, 02:16
WM, do you have school aged kids? I’m interested to hear how school is going there.

WiseMonkey
15-05-20, 02:23
UPDATE
Turns out it's a nurse in an aged care facility.
Here we go again.

We have one probable case today, which is linked to an existing cluster. However, this person was identified through a follow up test, where they had had symptoms 2 months earlier and had tested negative! From today's Herald ... "The result is considered a 'weak positive' and the person, who has been in isolation through the lockdown period, is not considered infectious now."
Health officials have previously identified instances of "weak positive" cases, which they say can occur some time after an individual's illness."

So this is residual dead RNA material and is not infectious (phew that's better)!! There are still 56 active Covid19 cases in NZ but they are in quarantine. We have recently had some NZers return from India so some of them are bound to have the virus too but also in enforced quarantine.

QLD are doing well (like NZ) and a few cases are bound to pop us as this virus has a long tail. You will be looking forward to coming out of lockdown soon :)

There are bound to be a few odd cases pop up, but as long as our countries borders are closed, this should be minimal. Testing has been ramped up too which will definitely help.

Stay safe neighbour :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
15-05-20, 02:32
WM, do you have school aged kids? I’m interested to hear how school is going there.

Hi, no my two are in their thirties :) but I am a relieving teacher so am in the know. School opened up after Alert Level 3, for those parents who had to work but from next Monday 18th, most children will be back at school. There will be social distancing where possible among the older children and extensive hygiene protocols. Some parents will choose not to send their children to school until therm 3 begins in July and the Minister of Health is happy with this because their are online resources for the pupils.

I'll know more next week, when I chat to some of my teacher friends. I'm not going back into schools until Term 3, it's a personal choice because I'm over sixty and also have CFS.

AntsyVee
15-05-20, 03:28
Yes, please keep me updated because while we are on summer vacation break now, we are supposed to start back in August, and we’re all trying to get ready for that. It would be nice to hear what works and What doesn’t. We’re even planning now for a possible virtual opening in case cases spike again.

pulisa
15-05-20, 08:14
Were you in that midnight queue for the hairdresser's, WM?:D

Great news but no country is out of the woods yet.NZ is as prepared as possible for a second wave, so it seems.

Teaching will be a real challenge in the future weeks and months but every respect to both you and Vee and I suppose you learn from each other's experiences of what works etc. Denmark is apparently leading the field in this respect.

WiseMonkey
15-05-20, 10:04
Were you in that midnight queue for the hairdresser's, WM?:D

Great news but no country is out of the woods yet.NZ is as prepared as possible for a second wave, so it seems.

Teaching will be a real challenge in the future weeks and months but every respect to both you and Vee and I suppose you learn from each other's experiences of what works etc. Denmark is apparently leading the field in this respect.

Yes that's true and the govt. will do a review in 2 weeks time, depending if any more new Covid cases arise. My youngest daughter is a high school teacher (physical education and health) so I'll hear from her too and see how things are going with the older ones. Will definitely take a look at the Denmark teaching model :)

ankietyjoe
15-05-20, 13:10
In the UK the usual suspect sh1trags are calling for the govt and public to 'allow teachers to be heroes' and go back to work, with young children.

While we are still at peak infection rate.

Good for New Zealand. You are the model to look up to.

Lolalee1
15-05-20, 13:30
Yep over there and the States,bloody madness
Our borders have been and still are closed (state and international).
Schools are now opening in most states but with strict rules
In NSW Wales pubs are opening but with only 10 customers load of BS.they should be shut,there is enough domestic violence during self isolation let alone drunken men coming home from a pub pissed ��
I still think we are opening up places way too soon.
I will say how we are very lucky too live where we do.:yesyes:

pulisa
15-05-20, 13:54
Yes you are but it's still a watch and wait situation. I'm all for being cautious but I'm an unpaid carer so don't have to worry about keeping a job and i have a very modest lifestyle. I can appreciate that others would think differently and would have different priorities.

travelgirl77
15-05-20, 17:34
Yes you are but it's still a watch and wait situation. I'm all for being cautious but I'm an unpaid carer so don't have to worry about keeping a job and i have a very modest lifestyle. I can appreciate that others would think differently and would have different priorities.

I am so happy you said this Pulisa. I have cried equally over people who have died from this virus and people who have lost their income and jobs over this. I cannot and will not begrudge anyone from feeling the desperation to return to work. In my company, we have had a few people who have had the virus and recovered, as well as someone's elderly parents, however, I have had far more employees who have been furloughed and even far more who are struggling so hard with not working, not interacting with co-workers, being in a different work environment, etc.

AntsyVee
15-05-20, 18:37
Thanks, P! I'm very worried about education. The kids learn best in-person. I work in an area where school is a safe place from the poverty and demands of home. This extended break has taken its toll on them and they haven't learned much.

fishman65
15-05-20, 19:35
In the UK the usual suspect sh1trags are calling for the govt and public to 'allow teachers to be heroes' and go back to work, with young children.

Good for New Zealand. You are the model to look up to.The Daily Fail I think Joe? Reading that paper, you get the impression that anyone still being cautious by wanting restrictions left in place is somehow 'holding the country back' and being negative.

Of course, let's lift all restrictions right now because CV will respect us more, viruses don't like it up 'em you see, bit of cold steel, empire and all that.

pulisa
15-05-20, 19:49
I am so happy you said this Pulisa. I have cried equally over people who have died from this virus and people who have lost their income and jobs over this. I cannot and will not begrudge anyone from feeling the desperation to return to work. In my company, we have had a few people who have had the virus and recovered, as well as someone's elderly parents, however, I have had far more employees who have been furloughed and even far more who are struggling so hard with not working, not interacting with co-workers, being in a different work environment, etc.

I fully understand how important a job and a regular income are to people..and then you have to weigh that up against the menace of CV and it's a horrible dilemma. It's all very well for the comfortably off who can sit back from their jobs and enjoy leisure time but for those who have financial commitments it's devastating to both mental health and overall security. It must be heartbreaking for you, travelgirl..

pulisa
15-05-20, 19:53
Thanks, P! I'm very worried about education. The kids learn best in-person. I work in an area where school is a safe place from the poverty and demands of home. This extended break has taken its toll on them and they haven't learned much.

These poor children are victims of Covid from a different angle. I do hope that you are able to offer them a safe and on-site education as soon as is feasibly possible. They are lucky to have such a caring and empathetic educator as yourself. They must really miss you and the safe routine of school in general.

WiseMonkey
15-05-20, 23:36
Yep over there and the States,bloody madness
Our borders have been and still are closed (state and international).
Schools are now opening in most states but with strict rules
In NSW Wales pubs are opening but with only 10 customers load of BS.they should be shut,there is enough domestic violence during self isolation let alone drunken men coming home from a pub pissed ��
I still think we are opening up places way too soon.
I will say how we are very lucky too live where we do.:yesyes:

Same here, border is closed and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Domestic flights have just resumed, after 7 weeks of being grounded enabling people to travel around the country again.
I know our PM'S are talking about a Trans Tasman Travel Bubble (that tongue twister again lol), but all of Aus would have to get their numbers down and cases contained before that would happen. Otherwise they'd be in for 2 weeks quarantine when they arrived in NZ. Queensland has about the same population as NZ and mainly zero Covid cases so maybe travel to and from there could happen first ... our ski season is now open Ms L :).

Mostly NZers are being encouraged to take holidays within the country to get tourism back up and running. Tourism is a big part of our economy so had taken a huge dive down. Queenstown (South Island NZ) gets 80% of its revenue from tourism so they're in a real slump!

I know about the pub mentality in parts of Aus (like it is in some rural parts of NZ), not pleasant. By and large in most other areas couples or families go to the pub for drinks and dinner so it's more user friendly. I remember when we first came to NZ in 1964 NZ still had 'the 6 o'clock swill' where men would head to the pub from work and get completely tanked then the pubs closed at 6 pm. Not my Dad though, my mother would have had his guts for garters. :wacko:

We're well into Autumn here and the temperatures are still mild (around 20C) during the day in Auckland. The dams and rivers are at an all time low up here so water restrictions are now in place due to unusually low rainfall.
Yes, extremely lucky to live where we live. :emot-highfive:

Phill2
16-05-20, 01:33
I reckon it's all too soon too especially with the new outbreak in Rocky.
It turns out the infected nurse had been all over the place before she tested positive.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 04:56
I reckon it's all too soon too especially with the new outbreak in Rocky.
It turns out the infected nurse had been all over the place before she tested positive.

Oh no, not good, lets hope she hasn't infected anyone else! Strange that no one else except her has tested positive in the 5 weeks you've had of zero Covid cases?

Zero new cases here today and only 49 active cases (all in quarantine), 3 people in hospital but none in ICU. 96% of all cases have now recovered. Lots more testing being done up and down the country.

Stay safe :)

Phill2
16-05-20, 05:43
Apparently she went to Brisbane and they think she picked it up there.
They've now tested all residents and staff and all tested negative.
Our aged care centres have been bad.
Luckily she was working in reception not treating people.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 06:01
Thank goodness everyone's tested negative for now, I guess everyone there will be in lockdown for another 14 days.

So Brisbane has some community spread and they're part of QLD, which I thought had zero cases for some weeks, or was the zero area more regional?

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 06:17
Thank goodness everyone's tested negative for now, I guess everyone there will be in lockdown for another 14 days.

So Brisbane has some community spread and they're part of QLD, which I thought had zero cases for some weeks, or was the zero area more regional?

Our rest homes have been hit too. All the deaths (21) have been in people over 60 with pre-existing health conditions, most of these were from rest homes :weep:

AntsyVee
16-05-20, 06:24
These poor children are victims of Covid from a different angle. I do hope that you are able to offer them a safe and on-site education as soon as is feasibly possible. They are lucky to have such a caring and empathetic educator as yourself. They must really miss you and the safe routine of school in general.

TY, P. You’re absolutely right. Many of them have had absolutely no routine or structure while at home. Several of them have told me they’ve become nocturnal, staying up all night playing video games and sleeping when the adults are at work and it’s quite in the house.

AntsyVee
16-05-20, 06:25
Our rest homes have been hit too. All the deaths (21) have been in people over 60 with pre-existing health conditions, most of these were from rest homes :weep:

Yes, same here. 95% of the new cases are rest homes and prisons.

Phill2
16-05-20, 07:15
Up here in Regional QLD as it's called we'd had none for 5 weeks until now.
Brisbane is the main infected area no doubt because of population density.
Let's hope everyone stays negative.
One aged care home in NSW (Sydney) has had 19 die.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 07:37
Just saw the news tonight that most of Aust is out of lockdown but still practicing social distancing measures etc, similar to NZ.
What do you think? Do you think certain areas/states should still be in lockdown until they get the virus under control, eg. Brissie?

Hollow
16-05-20, 08:36
New Zealand MP Simon O'Connor Warns of Absolute Tyranny.

<strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWRZK4VUOiA

Phill2
16-05-20, 08:54
Some aren't taking it seriously.
There's pics in The Courier Mail of people shoulder to shoulder at markets and beaches here.
Some people just have no idea of the danger to themselves and others.
Far too soon I reckon.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 09:14
Hollow so what ... (I've seen this video before) and it the police are given powers to protect the people then they should use them if needs be. The opposition spokespersons are free to have their say, that's democracy. You can pull down whatever videos you want from the internet to inject your wacky ideas, but you're not living in a country that's virtually covid19 free :)

We're very proud of what we've achieved, so go eat ya heart out!

ps. Am glad you haven't posted anything misogynistic this time (with a disgusting poster) ... you know where that got you last time!

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 09:19
Some aren't taking it seriously.
There's pics in The Courier Mail of people shoulder to shoulder at markets and beaches here.
Some people just have no idea of the danger to themselves and others.
Far too soon I reckon.

I read that QLD are doing a great job with contact tracing and your Premier has put in some tough restrictions (good for her) so it's likely only a matter of time before the Covid19 cases are controlled. It's a shame some people are thinking just of themselves and not the good of the community, some just don't care and that's the big problem.

Phill2
16-05-20, 09:38
Did you read about Jacinda being refused entry to a restaurant because it already has it's limit.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 09:44
Did you read about Jacinda being refused entry to a restaurant because it already has it's limit.

Yeah, her fiance has taken responsibility for not booking in advance! They wouldn't have minded but a spot did open up a short time after wards, it was a date brunch ...aww :D

Pamplemousse
16-05-20, 10:57
The Daily Fail I think Joe? Reading that paper, you get the impression that anyone still being cautious by wanting restrictions left in place is somehow 'holding the country back' and being negative.

Of course, let's lift all restrictions right now because CV will respect us more, viruses don't like it up 'em you see, bit of cold steel, empire and all that.

It was indeed, and I see there's further calls from the Children's Commissioner For England for this.

IMO, this "heroes" business is REALLY unhelpful - once again, it's Britain looking back to 1945 and labelling any latter-day squaddie in a uniform as such, more so if they made a return home in a pine overcoat via Wootton Bassett. It is one aspect of the UK - well, England really - I hate with a passion.

KK77
16-05-20, 13:42
and it the police are given powers to protect the people then they should use them if needs be. !

Yet we've seen time and time again how police and others in positions of authority can abuse those powers, WM. It is a very slippery slope IMO.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 13:51
Yet we've seen time and time again how police and others in positions of authority can abuse those powers, WM. It is a very slippery slope IMO.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it of course. In NZ police don't carry guns or tasers and their first line of action is to educate, then to warn and then take action (as in arrest) if needed.

WiseMonkey
16-05-20, 14:17
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it of course. In NZ police don't carry guns or tasers and their first line of action is to educate, then to warn and then take action (as in arrest) if needed.

But yes, I can see how people reading various articles about NZ's lockdown and looking from the outside in, might think that we must have been controlled in order to achieve (what we've achieved) in controlling Covid19. I believe the govt. took decisive action (with no hidden agenda) and the majority of people understood what needed to be done, and so far it's working :)

Pamplemousse
16-05-20, 14:56
Meanwhile, here in the UK: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/anti-lockdown-protest-hyde-park-a4442461.html

Note the "Freemen On The Land" type getting hauled away.

MyNameIsTerry
16-05-20, 16:42
Meanwhile, here in the UK: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/anti-lockdown-protest-hyde-park-a4442461.html

Note the "Freemen On The Land" type getting hauled away.

Freedom fighters or conspiracy theory loons? My money's on batshit crazy.

Corbyn's brother got arrested a few days ago didn't he?

MyNameIsTerry
16-05-20, 16:51
Hollow so what ... (I've seen this video before) and it the police are given powers to protect the people then they should use them if needs be. The opposition spokespersons are free to have their say, that's democracy. You can pull down whatever videos you want from the internet to inject your wacky ideas, but you're not living in a country that's virtually covid19 free :)

ps. Am glad you haven't posted anything misogynistic this time (with a disgusting poster) ... you know where that got you last time!

Some people fear this people a new normal, that powers won't be removed from legislation or that they will be easier to implement for other causes in the future. The proof will be in the future when the powers no longer exist and Parliaments still have scrutiny and the ability to vote it down.

It reminds me of the type of people who complain at what a current government is doing trying to portray it as forever as if we can't vote them out. We've had loads of this over the past few years due to the EU referendum. Unless they stop us voting, they can't stop us trying to overturn legislation if we can get a party to put it in their manifesto.

I don't think it's right to conflate the fascism of history with a public health strategy to save lives. But then these types think it's all a hoax. See Pamplemousses link for the mindset. It's a big power grab by the usual players to them.

NZ have done a brilliant job. Now if a vaccine comes along and we can all go back to normal how can they argue we have given away all these rights to some shady individuals?

Well spotted on your last point :winks:

fishman65
16-05-20, 19:46
The bottom line is that the NZ prime minister has taken this action to save the lives of Kiwis. Now if all NZ'ers were being rounded up and put into camps, I could understand cries of 'abuse of power' etc. But as far as I can see, they're not. They are being protected from a virus.

Assuming the virus really exists of course :winks:

Pamplemousse
16-05-20, 19:52
Freedom fighters or conspiracy theory loons? My money's on batshit crazy.

Corbyn's brother got arrested a few days ago didn't he?

He was certainly cuffed today...

Hollow
16-05-20, 19:55

It doesn't get more wackier than believing psychopathic career politicians have your best interests at heart.

BTW, I don't think there was anything misogynistic about that photo, she could have just been carrying a shotgun.

WiseMonkey
17-05-20, 03:02
The bottom line is that the NZ prime minister has taken this action to save the lives of Kiwis. Now if all NZ'ers were being rounded up and put into camps, I could understand cries of 'abuse of power' etc. But as far as I can see, they're not. They are being protected from a virus. Assuming the virus really exists of course :winks:

Fishman65 (the virus is just a figment of our imaginations) :winks: Exactly the NZ govt. just went hard and early, they had a plan of action and carried it through.

*One new confirmed Covid19 case today, linked to a rest home cluster contact of an earlier case so was already in isolation.*

All our cases (at present) are linked to 16 identified clusters. Some of these clusters are now closed as they've been through 2 cycles (28 days) without any new occurrences of the virus. Extensive community testing continues with no positive tests identified (as yet).

Phill2
17-05-20, 05:28
Over 600 of our cases and 19 deaths are linked to the Ruby Princess cruise ship.

WiseMonkey
18-05-20, 02:50
Yep those darn cruise ships are a nuisence alright, the Ruby Princess created a large cluster in the Hawkes Bay district where visitors came ashore and spread the virus around!

We did go on a cruise around NZ in Jan, but the Tasman side was so rough we couldn't get down to the fjords (Milford Sound and Doubtless Bay) which were the main attractions so the ship (Explorer Dream) had to turn around and go down the east side then back up again!! Will do it again one day but not by ship.

This about the Ruby Princess ... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12332807

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-20, 05:51
Not far from me, the story you mentioned, Lola. Poor people RIP

Phill2
18-05-20, 06:01
My mother has been on a few cruises and said that everyone in the cheaper cabins get gastro cause they have shared toilets.
She always paid extra to have a cabin with it's own toilet and never got sick.

WiseMonkey
18-05-20, 07:46
My mother has been on a few cruises and said that everyone in the cheaper cabins get gastro cause they have shared toilets.
She always paid extra to have a cabin with it's own toilet and never got sick.

We paid a bit more for a balcony cabin, it had it's own toilet & shower but I think all the cabins on that ship have them. No gastro, there was hand-san everywhere plus they put some more on your hands when you entered the dining room.
What ships has your mum been on?

Phill2
18-05-20, 08:28
No idea WM.
It was a while ago.

Lolalee1
18-05-20, 10:51
I had a good room with en-suit on the Ocean Diamond the food was ok but around 15 of us had gastro w e never found out by anyone the cause from the company.
I think that ship was one that couldn’t dock in South America due to Covid

AntsyVee
18-05-20, 17:49
Yeah, I had some friends get stuck on one of those Carnival cruise ships a few years ago that got norovirus. Not the ideal way to spend a honeymoon.

Well, I haven't been to NZ yet. I've been to Australia. I will say that when visiting Australia, there seemed to be as much racial tension there as there is here in the US.

Pamplemousse
18-05-20, 18:49
Well, I haven't been to NZ yet. I've been to Australia. I will say that when visiting Australia, there seemed to be as much racial tension there as there is here in the US.

I had a couple of long stays (two months at a time) back in the 'noughties' - once in NSW, once in VIC. To say there was a considerable element of racism from the White European settlers was quite the understatement, especially towards the indigenous and Asian peoples. I couldn't say what it's like now.

Phill2
19-05-20, 01:18
It's nothing like that in QLD.
It still exists but on a much lesser scale.
I was surprised at the difference when I moved here from NSW

WiseMonkey
19-05-20, 03:25
Yeah, I had some friends get stuck on one of those Carnival cruise ships a few years ago that got norovirus. Not the ideal way to spend a honeymoon.

I'd agree and that's because both countries have never truly confronted their racial issues, and tried to right the wrongs that happened at the beginning of colonisation of these countries. The US with the treatment of their native people and with the African slave trade. Australian treatment of their Aboriginal peoples was horrific and later children were taken from their mothers to be raised in institutions or adopted by 'white families'. They were called the Lost Generation. Australian govts. had a 'Keep Australia White' policy up until the late 1960's.

NZ has some racial issues although we are very multicultural in the main cities. Over the years various govts have given back large chucks of public land to local iwi (Maori tribes) that were confiscated under the Treaty of Waitangi, (which was meant to protect their land but was defunct). Financial reparation for seized land is an ongoing process. We have a large Pacific Island population and a larger Asian population (mainly Chinese who have settled here). From time to time there are racial flare-ups between Islander and Asian peoples.

I hope you get to NZ sometime in the future, you won't be disappointed :)

AntsyVee
19-05-20, 04:22
Yeah, NZ is on my place to travel if I can take the plane ride. I'm very claustrophobic, and that's a long time for me to be cooped up in a cylinder LOL

Lolalee1
19-05-20, 04:28

Hi Vee I have been to the US and Aus is nothing like Strait outa Compton.:winks:
Australians have problems with Muslims entering their shores illegally,they are put in detention on remote islands and forgotten about.
Asians were back in the 70’s on the hit list fleeing Vietnam to a better life the treatment was the same.
The only difference between your country and mine is No Salma Alabama.We have our nut jobs like in all countries but nothing like the crazies at the moment who believe and follow Potus like he is a God.
Phill racism is alive and well in the North of the state.
NSW is bad for it but nothing like up here.
I witness it at work,it’s bloody awful :mad:

AntsyVee
19-05-20, 04:37
Yeah, at the time when I went to the Aus, the racism in the US was very covert. Unless you were in some more isolated places in the country, you didn't really notice it. Now with POTUS, these crazy white nationalists and supremacists think that they have a green like to be overtly racist. It's nuts.

MyNameIsTerry
19-05-20, 04:42
Yeah, at the time when I went to the Aus, the racism in the US was very covert. Unless you were in some more isolated places in the country, you didn't really notice it. Now with POTUS, these crazy white nationalists and supremacists think that they have a green like to be overtly racist. It's nuts.

We had the same after the EU referendum but if it's still an issue the media seem to have lost interest. The lid has to be slammed on these idiots. People may vote the same way but they won't want to be associated with racists like them.

WiseMonkey
19-05-20, 05:05
Hi Vee I have been to the US and Aus is nothing like Strait outa Compton.:winks:
Australians have problems with Muslims entering their shores illegally,they are put in detention on remote islands and forgotten about.
Asians were back in the 70’s on the hit list fleeing Vietnam to a better life the treatment was the same.
The only difference between your country and mine is No Salma Alabama.We have our nut jobs like in all countries but nothing like the crazies at the moment who believe and follow Potus like he is a God.
Phill racism is alive and well in the North of the state.
NSW is bad for it but nothing like up here.
I witness it at work,it’s bloody awful :mad:

The farmers and farming communities are the worse over here, they hold most of the money and they have racist views. My partners sisters husband is a wealthy farmer in the South Island and he and I always clash. It's mainly pakeha (white) down there and I teach in several multicultural schools in Auckland!

Forth day of zero cases :)

Noivous
22-05-20, 13:04
Here's an interesting piece. Not specific to NZ but we're all going through similar conditions to one degree or another right now in regard to lockdowns .

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mass-casualty-incident-over-600-doctors-sign-letter-warning-trump-of-dangers-of-continued-lockdowns

Lencoboy
22-05-20, 14:19
We had the same after the EU referendum but if it's still an issue the media seem to have lost interest. The lid has to be slammed on these idiots. People may vote the same way but they won't want to be associated with racists like them.

By the same token we hardly ever seem to hear of the EDL and the like these days. Back in the early-mid 2010s they seemed to be causing rucks all over the country. Likewise, the media seem to have lost interest in the so-called 'chav' culture that was the subject of a fully-fledged moral panic during much of the 2000s, and ASBO also seems to have lost its 'buzzword' status over the past decade or so.

Pamplemousse
22-05-20, 14:37
By the same token we hardly ever seem to hear of the EDL and the like these days.

That's because the pubs and football are shut :roflmao:

Lencoboy
22-05-20, 19:33
That's because the pubs and football are shut :roflmao:

I was actually referring to the past couple of years in particular, that they have barely received any media attention, to the extent that they did back in around 2012-13 when they and their antics seemed to be at their prime.

They probably keep lower key with their antics these days, coupled with the fact that XR appear to have been the latest, all-the-rage 'protest' group since around the end of 2018 or so. And no doubt they themselves will be superseded by another 'protest' group/movement/fad of some sort in 2021 and/or beyond.

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 05:01
I find it hard to believe that UK have just announced international travellers have to Quarantine for 14 days?our border has been closed for a couple of months I just don’t get it.
The state I live in will not be opening it’s boarders until September and still can only travel 150ks.We have had no reported cases only 1 nurse and 2 people who travelled from Brisbane to the north.

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 05:03
I find it hard to believe that UK have just announced international travellers have to Quarantine for 14 days?our border has been closed for a couple of months I just don’t get it.
The state I live in will not be opening it’s boarders until September and still can only travel 150ks.We have had no reported cases only 1 nurse and 2 people who travelled from Brisbane to the north.

Yep, talk about a late reaction. Lockdown the country but still let people in...as long as they promise too self isolate if needed. :doh:

There was talk about containment but I seem to recall complaints about loss of rights...

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 05:06
I was actually referring to the past couple of years in particular, that they have barely received any media attention, to the extent that they did back in around 2012-13 when they and their antics seemed to be at their prime.

They probably keep lower key with their antics these days, coupled with the fact that XR appear to have been the latest, all-the-rage 'protest' group since around the end of 2018 or so. And no doubt they themselves will be superseded by another 'protest' group/movement/fad of some sort in 2021 and/or beyond.

I think it's a case of multiple factors with the biggest one being the Farage type effect, Robinson moving on from them. Then Britain First seemed to ramp up. And wasn't the new EDL guy found to be the very type of sex offender Robinson was campaigning about, albeit the wrong colour for him :whistles: So like UKIP they fizzled out?

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 05:15
Did those people that entered the country get tested once they set foot on solid ground?it ain’t that hard too test them(good English aye :yesyes:)
I had to self isolate when I came back from NSW which turned out too be closer to 21 days and that’s in my own country not coming in from US or any other country.
Bloody mad over there.

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 07:00

Hi Ms L, it is difficult to understand because it's not our experience or reality, our govt's have done things differently, which has definitely been beneficial for us as NZer's and Australians (with QLD being extra vigilant). No plans yet to open up borders here either.

Phill2
23-05-20, 08:12
QLD is currently saying no international travel before 2023.
I think it's a wise move on their part.

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 08:55
Wow, that is a long time and I guess it could take that long to procure a vaccine. Our PM's have been talking about a Trans-Tasman- Travel- Bubble but that's sometime into the future. It would definitely bolster tourism.

Most of the Pacific Islands locked down their borders early and have got on top of Covid (some didn't get any cases) so travel may be possible there too in the near future. People would still have to quarantine for 14 days when entering the country.

Phill2
23-05-20, 09:43
The trans Tasman bubble has been discussed here but I don't know the outcome.
14 days makes a big hole in a holiday.

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 09:57
The trans Tasman bubble has been discussed here but I don't know the outcome.
14 days makes a big hole in a holiday.

Sure does, I was discussing this with my fiance, people would have to plan at least 4-6 weeks holiday. Our PM is floating the idea of a 4 day working week as we're not running at full capacity. It also gives people a 3 day weekend if they want to travel somewhere and have a bit of a holiday (if they can afford it) as tourism is really suffering.

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 12:02
Same here with our tourism industry,this time of year we have a lot of Grey Nomads that head north plus the islands in the Whitsundays are really struggling a lot of Chinese in tour groups come up here and put millions into our economy.
Can you travel down the South Island WM?when that Trans Tasman bubble starts and I can leave the state in 2023 hey Phill I sure hope that Anna was taking the piss out on the nsw premier lol, I will be heading to MT CooK and also head your way and try some Sourdough :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 12:23
Yep domestic travel has resumed but with social distancing, so the planes are only half full. We can go anywhere in NZ now and the PM is encouraging it especially to get the tourism going. She's been flying around to various tourist spots chatting with the locals :). My partner's (daughter & partner and baby) live in Rotorua, so we'll be travelling down there for a few days in June.

So 2023 for international travel... seems a l o n g time. I know borders won't be opening up here for a long time, it's just too risky. We has 7 days of zero cases then got one case connecting to an existing cluster, so was already in isolation, so it's still smouldering away!! Haven't made any sourdough, :D just buy a g/f loaf if I need one. Made a great g/f date and walnut loaf though.

Pamplemousse
23-05-20, 12:38
Why is it whenever I hear the word "Rotorua" I hear "Rotovirus"?

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 12:53
I don't know, please do tell. Of course if you mean rotavirus, I know what that is :shades:

We call Rotorua= Rotovegas and also Ashburton = Ashvegas, if we're going for our hols there :welcome:

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 12:53
I remember the first time I went to Rotorua the smell knocked me for a Sixer lol was told it was from those hot springs or something like that.
We did the hitchhiking thing and had a ball.Everyone that picked us up new we were Aussies not like yanks or Canadians they had fancy backpacks ours were swags and those cheap striped plastic bags:roflmao:Those were the days WM.
That g/f date and walnut loaf sure sounds good.:yesyes:
I must apologise for my unique writing style not putting in commas or my poor spelling it’s called laziness and don’t care.:winks:

I don’t think it won’t be 2023 before they open the border we rely on Oil and the list goes on.So see you next year I reckon and your new grandchild.

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 13:06
I remember the first time I went to Rotorua the smell knocked me for a Sixer lol was told it was from those hot springs or something like that.
We did the hitchhiking thing and had a ball.Everyone that picked us up new we were Aussies not like yanks or Canadians they had fancy backpacks ours were swags and those cheap striped plastic bags:roflmao:Those were the days WM.
That g/f date and walnut loaf sure sounds good.:yesyes:
I must apologise for my unique writing style not putting in commas or my poor spelling it’s called laziness and don’t care.:winks:

I don’t think it won’t be 2023 before they open the border we rely on Oil and the list goes on.So see you next year I reckon and your new grandchild.

It's the sulphur from the gysers, you can see the steam rising from holes alongside the roads, smells like rotten eggs but great for the sinus :) Hitchhiking was real popular back in the day and the Aussies were/are our mates. :D Borders bound to open up to Aus by end of year ... if you wait until 2023 there's likely to be 2 grandies :yesyes:

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 13:12
5063I have my updated bags ready too go.:yesyes:

WiseMonkey
23-05-20, 13:23
5063I have my updated bags ready too go.:yesyes:

Love the shabby chic gear :) You might need those boots soon as it's blimin freezing over here at present, might be a frost overnight! But it's been a fab Indian Summer/Autumn although we're now on water restrictions as rain's been scarce this year :huh: No winter veggies planted this year except spinach (and rhubarb).

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 13:46
Yep it’s rather chilly here too.They had water restrictions here up until February,it’s raining now I mowed the lawn last looks like it did when I moved back,l o n g again grrr.As for growing anything well WM I can grow weeds and cacti’s lol,if you go by our resident conspiracy theorist you might have Covid on your veggies :wacko: I am quite partial to spinach and feta rolls tho.

Thought you would like this.

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 14:18
Just watched the 11pm news and we are allowed 50 people in a restaurant and hotel,I still don’t think the pubs will open way to many overheads.As of next month we can go camping wow. WM I have taken my P/K so have a lovely(whats left of it night xx)and yak tomorrow :D

WiseMonkey
24-05-20, 01:16
Yep it’s rather chilly here too.They had water restrictions here up until February,it’s raining now I mowed the lawn last looks like it did when I moved back,l o n g again grrr.As for growing anything well WM I can grow weeds and cacti’s lol,if you go by our resident conspiracy theorist you might have Covid on your veggies :wacko: I am quite partial to spinach and feta rolls tho.

Thought you would like this.

Most apt Ms L, of course no one on this forum would ever drive like that, they're far too considerate of ones mental health and wouldn't want to cause a motorway panic :shades:

Yesterday arvo we actually pulled weeds and noticed some spinach leaves had rust spots on them, likely to be Coronofungi, geeze I hope there's no local community spread, the neighbours won't be impressed! :ohmy: We've had a couple of cell phone towers set alight, so there's nutters in every countries!

A few days ago the National Party (in opposition) had a meltdown and ousted their leader Simon Bridges so now have a new one Todd Muller! In his office he has a cabinet of American memorabilia, his fav is a MAGA cap (Make America Great Again), so another political nut bar... just wondering how that will go down with his national supporters! :wacko:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/resizer/7WyXugIiNFU34oHOVQ_slSqcqbg=/150x183/smart/filters:quality(70)/cloudfront-ap-southeast-2.images.arcpublishing.com/nzme/GZYIL4BDBZDX5FIR4TWUJMHU5U.jpg

Update: it's raining from a northerly direction, thanks for sending us some from across the Tassie :flowers:

Lolalee1
25-05-20, 00:35
Enjoy the rain:yesyes:

Those caps are made in China where back in January the idiot called the virus a hoax:roflmao:I watched all the stupid things he has said since then about the China Virus the ******.

NSW and Victoria have opened up even further,our Premier is standing firm on not opening up more or the border.
WA and NT are still closed

WiseMonkey
25-05-20, 02:29
Enjoy the rain:yesyes: NSW and Victoria have opened up even further,our Premier is standing firm on not opening up more or the border. WA and NT are still closed

Your Premier AP is very wise to keep the borders closed down. Even though we only had one new case last week, the borders will remained closed. The 10,000th passenger entered the quarantine facilities at the weekend on a flight from Melbourne, so Kiwi's from Aus are still returning home.

Yes more rain today, I'm not impressed but know we desperately need it :welcome:

AntsyVee
25-05-20, 02:48
How long is the flight from Aus to NZ?

WiseMonkey
25-05-20, 02:59
How long is the flight from Aus to NZ?

Hi AntsyVee, it depends what part of Aust you're travelling from as there can be a 7 hr difference:

Perth (Aus) to Auckland (NZ) 7 hrs,
Melbourne (Aus) to Auck (NZ) 4 hrs
Sydney (Aus) to Auck (NZ) 3 hrs
Queenland (Aust) to Auck (NZ) 3.5 hrs

AntsyVee
25-05-20, 04:03
Wow, I didn't think they'd have flights out of Perth to NZ, I figured they'd all be out of Sydney or Melbourne. From the east coast, that's a pretty short flight. Even though I've been to Aus, I didn't realize you all were that close.

WiseMonkey
25-05-20, 04:32
Wow, I didn't think they'd have flights out of Perth to NZ, I figured they'd all be out of Sydney or Melbourne. From the east coast, that's a pretty short flight. Even though I've been to Aus, I didn't realize you all were that close.

Some people think that NZ is a part of Australia! :wacko:

Most of us travel to and fro each others countries, I've been to 5 cities in Aust and my daughters have had holidays over there. Lots of NZ er's live and work in Aust. and visa versa. Although I'm English born, I have far more in common with Aussies, we both have our origins in the same countries and are ex-colonials (like Canadians and English South Africans).

I've got cousins in Aust and many have family here in NZ. Both are lovely places to live except we don't have snakes in NZ :)

Phill2
25-05-20, 05:13
flight from Brisbane to Christchurch is 4 hrs.
This is ridiculous.
NSW and VIC have more cases than any other state.
https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/ridiculous-qld-cut-out-of-travel-bubble-war/4022731/

WiseMonkey
25-05-20, 05:48
Read your article ...hmm seems odd indeed!
This in the Herald ...
PM Ardern said she could not put a time frame on when travel to Australia might resume - but warned "it won't be weeks" - it would be longer. She did not want travel to and from Australia to endanger the very low rates of the virus in New Zealand.

Phill2
25-05-20, 06:00
I'd rather wait longer too.
Our Premier (QLD) has said no international travel until 2023 except maybe NZ.

Lolalee1
25-05-20, 09:43
That is a long time Phill I really don’t think it will be that long, I hope not,spose to go over for Sturgis

WM heard there was an earthquake over there today.

WiseMonkey
25-05-20, 10:08
Yep, was a 5.8 mag, lower North Island so the Beehive (where the govt sit in Wellywood) had a good 'ol shake-up!

WiseMonkey
26-05-20, 08:08
I'd rather wait longer too.
Our Premier (QLD) has said no international travel until 2023 except maybe NZ.

JA will wait longer also, she won't move until the DGOH says it's safe. I was reading that if no new cases show up between 27-33 days then Covid19 could be considered eradicated with a 95% probability. I guess with a bit longer it could get to 100% probability.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-20, 14:33
Just look at these idiots:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-26/common-sense-urged-as-warm-weather-set-to-continue/

:wall: What is wrong with people?!!! This is another reason the government should never have said sunbathing was ok as long as you social distance.

Also where are the police and local councils in any of this? They could have planned for it, monitored incoming traffic, etc.

WiseMonkey
26-05-20, 23:40

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-26/common-sense-urged-as-warm-weather-set-to-continue/

:wall: What is wrong with people?!!! This is another reason the government should never have said sunbathing was ok as long as you social distance.

Also where are the police and local councils in any of this? They could have planned for it, monitored incoming traffic, etc.

Yes Terry, it's the mixed messages from above, that have confused the populace and now I guess they're are just over it with the Summer approaching :shrug:

It was still Summer here, but the messages were always very clear. The fiance and I were on holiday up north at Kerikeri (a popular spot) when we got the first message on TV. We'd only been there 2 days (of our 7) and decided to go home (back to Auckland) ... that was Mon and lockdown came into force Wed 11:59 pm. Anyone who was on the road after that, either had to be going to the supo or the chemist. Police were out on the motorways and there were helicopters around at night, so we all knew how serious it was. In saying that we only have 5 million people so it would have been much easier to enforce. I'm not gloating here, it's just the way it happened :shades:

Even the Australian PM nearly blew it, saying that people couldn't go to the hairdressers but could spend 30 mins at a beauty salon (or visa versa) WTF (mixed messages) which he then withdrew! Luckily some of the wiser Australian State Premiers took more of a hard line, went into lockdown earlier and closed their borders, Queensland is one such State.

Once the horse has bolted, it's so much harder to capture it again (oops one of those sayings again, too bad) :winks:

KK77
27-05-20, 00:45

Lock the idiots up in their homes and throw away their door keys, I say!

The masses cannot be trusted and will seek to enjoy themselves at any given opportunity :lac:

WiseMonkey
27-05-20, 01:41

The masses cannot be trusted and will seek to enjoy themselves at any given opportunity :lac:

In Mrs Browns words "That's nice"

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-20, 05:03

The Health Secretary has a few large indoor spaces gathering dust where they could be accommodated for a spot of re-education :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-20, 05:12
Yes Terry, it's the mixed messages from above, that have confused the populace and now I guess they're are just over it with the Summer approaching :shrug:

It was still Summer here, but the messages were always very clear. The fiance and I were on holiday up north at Kerikeri (a popular spot) when we got the first message on TV. We'd only been there 2 days (of our 7) and decided to go home (back to Auckland) ... that was Mon and lockdown came into force Wed 11:59 pm. Anyone who was on the road after that, either had to be going to the supo or the chemist. Police were out on the motorways and there were helicopters around at night, so we all knew how serious it was. In saying that we only have 5 million people so it would have been much easier to enforce. I'm not gloating here, it's just the way it happened :shades:

Even the Australian PM nearly blew it, saying that people couldn't go to the hairdressers but could spend 30 mins at a beauty salon (or visa versa) WTF (mixed messages) which he then withdrew! Luckily some of the wiser Australian State Premiers took more of a hard line, went into lockdown earlier and closed their borders, Queensland is one such State.

Once the horse has bolted, it's so much harder to capture it again (oops one of those sayings again, too bad) :winks:

With the sunbathing it feels like they just caved in. Every hot day saw articles showing people in mostly London parks. I sympathise with people in larger cities because it's not as easy to avoid crowded areas and I think the authorities could have worked harder.

Early on into the lockdown people started sneaking into Wales to holiday homes or with caravans. The police started putting up roadblocks. I think one of the Yorkshire forces did the same. The Scottish government were constantly talking about it.

We've had some stories about police abuse of powers, and everyone arrested under the new powers have been found to be arrested in error, but then we have confusion between top coppers. I don't really see how it's so complicated for them? And these scenes of beaches take hours to get that way with no police in sight yet we see other articles where they are moving a few people off a beach. Obviously set ups :whistles:

Noivous
27-05-20, 09:55
Hi Terry

I'm sure there are a fair number of cops who say hey I'm not going into the crowd and put myself at risk. Then there are those cops who don't agree with locking up those who aren't locking down. They're in uncharted waters themselves. BTW there haven't been any actual laws passed on most of these lockdowns. Most of it's been done by fiat from on high. I was out walking yesterday and there were a lot of people roaming about many without masks. A cop just drove through and didn't bat an eye.

N.

WiseMonkey
27-05-20, 13:31
Comes down to those mixed messages again, if the police say and do one thing, then later change it to another, there's the inconsistency and people get complacent. Not that they should be heavy handed (they don't carry guns or tasers) in NZ so there haven't been many incidences. It was all about reminding and educating rather than arresting.

Terry, we had some Iwi (Maori) who were locking down roads and patrolling their own areas and police were helping them. Great to see community effort :)

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 03:00
Today there is only one active case of Covid19 in NZ despite extensive community testing to look for more, but the testing continues. It is the seventh day with zero cases. We are in Alert Level 2 so it is unlikely we will drop to Level 1 until there have been 27-33 days pass without any cases. We can now attend functions with 100 people. We have a tracer app on our phones which can help health officials identify, trace, test and isolate any cases of Covid-19. The data collected is deleted after 1 month.

My partner (and the band) have a gig on tonight at a local hall for the rock and roll club, the first for many months :)

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-20, 05:02
Hi Terry

I'm sure there are a fair number of cops who say hey I'm not going into the crowd and put myself at risk. Then there are those cops who don't agree with locking up those who aren't locking down. They're in uncharted waters themselves. BTW there haven't been any actual laws passed on most of these lockdowns. Most of it's been done by fiat from on high. I was out walking yesterday and there were a lot of people roaming about many without masks. A cop just drove through and didn't bat an eye.

N.

Hi N,

It's irrelevant if the police disagree with the law but yes they may turn a blind eye. Just like how they may do nothing when we call them for many reasons and it will just reflect badly on them.

They are in uncharted waters with this one and so many mistakes have been made by the highest of their ranks. One senior copper got slapped down by the Home Secretary after he went into Stalin mode threatening to start searching supermarket trollies and setting up road blocks outside them.

It depends on the country but in our case these were laws passed through Parliament.

It just amazes me how we can follow the new rules yet they can't understand them with a whole legal framework briefing them. :shrug:

Some of the ones in the news just show certain individual police officers as incompetent. The attitudes of some point more to a poor attitude.

With the beaches it's understandable they are concerned for their safety. But I'm talking about hundreds on them. They sat all day watching those cars and pedestrians travelling. They are used to reducing incoming traffic. But I'm blaming the rank, I'm blaming the management. The council, the mayor's, the chief constables, etc.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-20, 05:05
Comes down to those mixed messages again, if the police say and do one thing, then later change it to another, there's the inconsistency and people get complacent. Not that they should be heavy handed (they don't carry guns or tasers) in NZ so there haven't been many incidences. It was all about reminding and educating rather than arresting.

Terry, we had some Iwi (Maori) who were locking down roads and patrolling their own areas and police were helping them. Great to see community effort :)

Yes, can't blame them for trying to protect their communities.

We had an news article where one man did the same stopping moron sneaking in with his caravan.

Phill2
29-05-20, 05:19
6 active in QLD today.
Schools in NSW and VIC Monday and a few have closed again already due to kids testing positive.

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 05:22
Did you all see this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846
(https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846)
OMG, this made my day! :roflmao:

Phill2
29-05-20, 05:38
Did you all see this?

Yep saw it.
Terry throwing his money around again :winks:

Lolalee1
29-05-20, 06:07
:roflmao:That was hilarious Vee. I remember watching that too.

Can’t see the border opening up now Phill and not going home until NSW gets it act together that State is to crazy
Bloody Blackwater is a bit close aye.

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 06:07
Yep saw it.
Terry throwing his money around again :winks:

LMAO :yahoo::roflmao:figures. I should’ve warned you all he was going down there!

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 06:11
Did you all see this?

Mine too, hilarious and love the innuendo too ... one man had 'a big, sharp knife in his trousers' ... good job he didn't stick it to someone, could have got nasty!! :roflmao:

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 06:17
i wanted to know how big the knife was...

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 06:21
i wanted to know how big the knife was...

How many inches/centimetres do you require Antsy? :roflmao:

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 06:24

Ms L or Phil could hunt those dudes down and send 'em over your way once borders are open again :yesyes:

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 06:47

It is the motion of the ocean...but big packages also mean big presents :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 07:02
It is the motion of the ocean...but big packages also mean big presents :yesyes:

Big presents with experience and you've got it made :noangel:

Phill2
29-05-20, 07:18
Remember ladies it's not the size (or that's what all the small guys tell us) :roflmao:
Our borders aren't open yet thankfully!

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 07:21
You pair are rude :roflmao:and I like it:D
I haven’t had a package for umm...can’t remember :shrug:

Abstinence makes the heart grow .... oops that absence!! Believe you me, it's extremely tricky when you need a hip replacement but there are different presents to be had that can be just as satisfying :winks:

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 07:24
Remember ladies it's not the size (or that's what all the small guys tell us) :roflmao:
Our borders aren't open yet thankfully!

Are these two statements related in some way Phil :winks:

Keep those borders firmly locked down! How's your case load in QLD?

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 07:27
:roflmao:Phill I thought it was the size of their feet.lol,or a tongue that’s 10 inches long (like theat Kevin Bloody Wilson Song) Ba!Ha!Ha!

Bloody hell Ms L no tonsil ticklers please! :roflmao:

Lolalee1
29-05-20, 07:36
:roflmao:
Better not hit on that one Lesley:noangel:x

Phill2
29-05-20, 07:49
Not really WM.
It's how your mind interprets them :whistles:

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 17:09
Big presents with experience and you've got it made :noangel:

Hey, remember, I'm a teacher... I can work with a little ignorance ;)

fishman65
29-05-20, 18:01
Did you all see this?

OMG, this made my day! :roflmao:Crikey it takes all sorts doesn't it :wacko:

fishman65
29-05-20, 18:06
Size 14 shoes here :blush:

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 19:39
Size 14 shoes here :blush:

Are you offering to visit my United States, fishman? ;)

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-20, 21:38
Crikey it takes all sorts doesn't it :wacko:

One of Trigger's fans? :winks:

https://a0.amlimg.com/NThhNjJkMWVhYzhiMTNhZjU5ZDA4Y2I2ODUxNDMyOGJng4oegn H1kxdKlUaJD_RraHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzAx MzExNjJlMDg2ZDUwNzEzMTMzN2NkNGEyYjdkNTQzMWUxZDIwYT U2NDMzMDIzY2JjNzQ4MDllMjQyODQ0Yi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4 NTE1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YX Rlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

They had been hired to carry out a client's fantasy of being tied up in his underwear and stroked with a broom.

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 21:59
Terry, we all know you’re talking from experience! :winks:

fishman65
29-05-20, 22:08
Are you offering to visit my United States, fishman? ;)You do realise this thread could be shut down Antsy :D

fishman65
29-05-20, 22:09

https://a0.amlimg.com/NThhNjJkMWVhYzhiMTNhZjU5ZDA4Y2I2ODUxNDMyOGJng4oegn H1kxdKlUaJD_RraHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzAx MzExNjJlMDg2ZDUwNzEzMTMzN2NkNGEyYjdkNTQzMWUxZDIwYT U2NDMzMDIzY2JjNzQ4MDllMjQyODQ0Yi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4 NTE1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YX Rlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpgThey don't make comedy like that anymore Terry.

WiseMonkey
29-05-20, 22:53

https://a0.amlimg.com/NThhNjJkMWVhYzhiMTNhZjU5ZDA4Y2I2ODUxNDMyOGJng4oegn H1kxdKlUaJD_RraHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzAx MzExNjJlMDg2ZDUwNzEzMTMzN2NkNGEyYjdkNTQzMWUxZDIwYT U2NDMzMDIzY2JjNzQ4MDllMjQyODQ0Yi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4 NTE1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YX Rlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg
Definitely looks like a bit of rough! :shades:

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 22:55
Lol we’ve officially scared fishman

WiseMonkey
31-05-20, 02:28
Now for something different, more Trans Tasman Travel Bubble talk ...https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12335313&ref=recommendedv1

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 04:27
Now for something different, more Trans Tasman Travel Bubble talk ...https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12335313&ref=recommendedv1

So to travel you have to self identify? :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 04:29
Terry, we all know you’re talking from experience! :winks:

Just ask Phill. He knows about my Rocky Horror Picture Show get up :whiplash:

I've certainly had some jobs where they may as well have shoved the broom up my https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sex/t1505.gif

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 04:30
They don't make comedy like that anymore Terry.

The BBC ruled comedy for so many years. It's a pity they gave up on it.

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 04:31
Definitely looks like a bit of rough! :shades:

A true 'working man' :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
31-05-20, 05:06
Just ask Phill. He knows about my Rocky Horror Picture Show get up :whiplash:

I've certainly had some jobs where they may as well have shoved the broom up my https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sex/t1505.gif

The visuals of your last comment certainly made my eyes water! :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 05:31
The visuals of your last comment certainly made my eyes water! :winks:

It's ok, it was inserted handle first :roflmao:

Phill2
31-05-20, 05:45
That must have been disappointing for you mate :winks:

WiseMonkey
31-05-20, 06:33
It's ok, it was inserted handle first :roflmao:

Thank gawd for that, could have put a whole new slant on anal fissures! :scared15: :winks:

Lolalee1
31-05-20, 10:50
We are allowed to travel further as of tomorrow but only in the state. I was going to kick start the broom and fly but after reading all of the above think I will drive.:yesyes:
Geez I am tame compared too you lot.:noangel::roflmao:

WiseMonkey
31-05-20, 12:35
We are allowed to travel further as of tomorrow but only in the state. I was going to kick start the broom and fly but after reading all of the above think I will drive.:yesyes:
Geez I am tame compared too you lot.:noangel::roflmao:

It's our English heritage they have a fascination with such things!!
Have a lovely trip tomorrow Ms L :) It's raining here again, typical Auckland winter weather!

Pamplemousse
31-05-20, 13:38

That's because it's all about the winning with our leaders - can't have those damned foreigners getting a lead on us. Plus our tax-exile owned newspapers are now wanting payback for getting their men into power.

fishman65
31-05-20, 17:59
The BBC ruled comedy for so many years. It's a pity they gave up on it.With PC now much of the 80s/90s comedy would be banned. That's why Ade Edmondson has to appear in straight roles in Eastenders :lac:

Lencoboy
31-05-20, 18:44
With PC now much of the 80s/90s comedy would be banned. That's why Ade Edmondson has to appear in straight roles in Eastenders :lac:

What about a lot of today's even more non-PC 'gangsta-rap' music, that is littered with endless four-letter expletives and references to gang violence, murder, guns, knives, drugs, sex, misogyny, homophobia, you name it. Yet many people seem to be blase about it and even defend it all in the name of 'free expression', whilst at the same time having hissy fits over popular old films/TV programming from the 70s, 80s and 90s that were mostly considered innocuous at the time of their original productions but condemning them as non-PC today. OK for rappers (even White) to utter the N-word (the racist one that ironically, rhymes with 'trigger') but not OK for the casts of Only Fools And Horses, EastEnders, etc to utter that same word in episodes from say, 1985, viewed from a 2020 perspective.

Also those who get indignant about the songs 'Fairytale Of New York' and 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' pretty much every Christmas these days, which I never recall anyone batting an eyelid over when I was younger.

Smacks of double standards if you ask me.

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 21:16
With PC now much of the 80s/90s comedy would be banned. That's why Ade Edmondson has to appear in straight roles in Eastenders :lac:

Whenever I watch Bottom I wonder what the BBC would make of it now? Plenty of domestic violence in it.

But then Little Britain was filmed more recently with blacking up :shrug:

Phill2
31-05-20, 21:41
How would Love Thy Neighbour go these days?
It used to make me LOL.
British comedy was always good.:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-20, 22:27
How would Love Thy Neighbour go these days?
It used to make me LOL.
British comedy was always good.:yesyes:

Lots of outrage from one side and the other laughing I guess. I never saw it and there are never reruns.

Phill2
01-06-20, 01:24
Lots of outrage from one side and the other laughing I guess. I never saw it and there are never reruns.

I don't think you'll ever see it on TV again.
Maybe at a DVD store??
Extremely funny but wouldn't get near a TV these days.
I agree with a little PC but so much is just overkill.

Lencoboy
01-06-20, 16:35
Whenever I watch Bottom I wonder what the BBC would make of it now? Plenty of domestic violence in it.

But then Little Britain was filmed more recently with blacking up :shrug:

But then what's the difference between domestic violence in older programmes like Bottom and domestic violence today in say, EastEnders, Casualty, etc?

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-20, 16:40
But then what's the difference between domestic violence in older programmes like Bottom and domestic violence today in say, EastEnders, Casualty, etc?

In Bottom it would be portrayed as funny and not socially unacceptable. For instance, Eddie hitting the woman with collecting tin with a mallet and knocking her down the stairs.

Noivous
03-06-20, 02:25
What about the old British comic strip Andy Capp. Talk about domestic violence. Of course Flo gave as good as she got.

N.

Phill2
03-06-20, 02:32
What about the old British comic strip Andy Capp. Talk about domestic violence. Of course Flo gave as good as she got.

N.

Used to read Andy religiously in the paper down here.

Noivous
03-06-20, 02:45
Yeah that was pretty good stuff Phil.

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-20, 04:26
Yep, very popular for those not looking to find offence in everything. :winks:

We have a local version called 'Owd Grandad Piggott. There are still some recordings around (I have a few on cassette from decades ago) online.

In the Scene in Bottom I mentioned above she had kicked Eddie in the balls and hit him with her collecting tin. She was actually collecting for victims of domestic violence so Eddie robbed her tin but threw some change out of it down the stairs for her. Bottom was a very physical comedy.

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-20, 04:28
I don't think you'll ever see it on TV again.
Maybe at a DVD store??
Extremely funny but wouldn't get near a TV these days.
I agree with a little PC but so much is just overkill.

It will be around in DVD. I've seen Rudolph Walker in plenty of shows.

Agreed, things move on but we've ended up with poor comedy on TV due to all the moralizing.

Lencoboy
04-06-20, 16:32
It will be around in DVD. I've seen Rudolph Walker in plenty of shows.

Agreed, things move on but we've ended up with poor comedy on TV due to all the moralizing.

I would hardly call repeated use of the F-word in a lot of comedies over the past 25 years or so 'moralising'. And I'm no prude in the grand scheme of things either, I just find it all very repetitive, unoriginal and in all, lazy writing.

Lencoboy
04-06-20, 16:48
Yep, very popular for those not looking to find offence in everything. :winks:

We have a local version called 'Owd Grandad Piggott. There are still some recordings around (I have a few on cassette from decades ago) online.

In the Scene in Bottom I mentioned above she had kicked Eddie in the balls and hit him with her collecting tin. She was actually collecting for victims of domestic violence so Eddie robbed her tin but threw some change out of it down the stairs for her. Bottom was a very physical comedy.

I know I'm going off in a tangent a bit here, but funnily enough, I have been digitising some old VHS recordings from the 90s today, with tapes that are 25-30 years old, and I've had to keep stopping and starting every 30 minutes or so to clean the VHS VCR heads and capstans with a cotton bud dampened in methylated spirit due to the constant build-up of stray oxide particles, that resulted in random white specks being reproduced on-screen. We're literally spoilt rotten with today's 'HD' AV equipment using non-mechanical media with a lot of the current high-end consumer camcorders, TV sets, etc being better than even the very best fully-professional gear of ten years ago!!

But of course, we didn't know any different before digital AV media came along from around the late 90s onwards.

Pamplemousse
04-06-20, 18:08
I know I'm going off in a tangent a bit here, but funnily enough, I have been digitising some old VHS recordings from the 90s today, with tapes that are 25-30 years old, and I've had to keep stopping and starting every 30 minutes or so to clean the VHS VCR heads and capstans with a cotton bud dampened in methylated spirit due to the constant build-up of stray oxide particles, that resulted in random white specks being reproduced on-screen. We're literally spoilt rotten with today's 'HD' AV equipment using non-mechanical media with a lot of the current high-end consumer camcorders, TV sets, etc being better than even the very best fully-professional gear of ten years ago!!

But of course, we didn't know any different before digital AV media came along from around the late 90s onwards.

Can I just say that a cotton bud applied to the video heads is taking their life in your hands. Take it from an old pro - meths is fine (it just takes a long time to evaporate) but apply it to a lint-free cloth then hold that against the head drum and rotate the head drum so the heads pass over it. ON NO ACCOUNT use an up-and-down motion on the heads themselves, ever.

It's not just oxide building up on the heads either but the backing and plasticisers in the tape. Some tapes are much better than others, some very much worse!

Lencoboy
04-06-20, 19:00
Can I just say that a cotton bud applied to the video heads is taking their life in your hands. Take it from an old pro - meths is fine (it just takes a long time to evaporate) but apply it to a lint-free cloth then hold that against the head drum and rotate the head drum so the heads pass over it. ON NO ACCOUNT use an up-and-down motion on the heads themselves, ever.

It's not just oxide building up on the heads either but the backing and plasticisers in the tape. Some tapes are much better than others, some very much worse!

Thanks for the info, the machine is fine now.

Pamplemousse
04-06-20, 20:36
Thanks for the info, the machine is fine now.

Great news :yesyes:

Some time ago I embarked on a project to digitise some 250 audio cassettes, which are up to maybe 45 years old? You soon learned which brands were going to cause terrific trouble, jamming the machine as soon as you hit play. I've only done 50 to date...

MyNameIsTerry
04-06-20, 21:09
I would hardly call repeated use of the F-word in a lot of comedies over the past 25 years or so 'moralising'. And I'm no prude in the grand scheme of things either, I just find it all very repetitive, unoriginal and in all, lazy writing.

Neither would I. But I was talking about what you mentioned earlier: why we can't watch certain things anymore.

More the type clutching their copy of The Guardian, the type that could be described as woke.

dorabella
04-06-20, 22:24
The professionally offended will find something to take offence at in anything - just as long as it gives them an excuse to stand on their moral soapbox and expound their outrage. What joyless lives these people must live.

Whilst we're going through the canon of 70's comedic brilliance ... what about Porridge? Along with Fawlty Towers, Monty Python and others of that ilk, I still crease myself with laughter after 40 years. My favourite character was always the 'charmless Scottish nurk' screw Mackay. It wouldn't get commissioned nowadays in our humuorless PC society, but by god was it funny and very well written. Of its time and it struck a chord with the massive public viewing figures.

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 02:17
There have been no new cases of Covid 19 in NZ for 14 days in a row and only 1 active case. This is a fact not a 'gloat'. If this continues, then next Thursday we will drop to Level 1, which means all business as usual, except borders will remain closed. There is still talk about (but no time frame set for) the Trans Tasman Travel bubble to begin.

Pamplemousse
05-06-20, 10:40
Thing is, somehow whilst I can believe the figures in NZ I just can't help but think that the figures in the UK are being constantly massaged to make things look better than they actually are.

I 'eagerly' await our second (and third, and fourth) wave.

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 11:58
Thing is, somehow whilst I can believe the figures in NZ I just can't help but think that the figures in the UK are being constantly massaged to make things look better than they actually are. I 'eagerly' await our second (and third, and fourth) wave.

I don't think you can get a second wave until the first wave in under control?
We are waiting to see if another case/s arise from somewhere in the community and this would be a second wave. If another month (2 cycles) goes by without any more cases arising then a second wave is unlikely so it's a wait and see scenario.

Lencoboy
05-06-20, 12:40
I don't think you can get a second wave until the first wave in under control?
We are waiting to see if another case/s arise from somewhere in the community and this would be a second wave. If another month (2 cycles) goes by without any more cases arising then a second wave is unlikely so it's a wait and see scenario.

Exactly. Our first wave still isn't even over yet.

Pamplemousse
05-06-20, 13:56
Exactly. Our first wave still isn't even over yet.

Nobody says the waves have to reach zero...

Phill2
05-06-20, 20:13
With all of the protests happening in Oz this weekend we'll no doubt have an increase :ohmy:

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 22:12
With all of the protests happening in Oz this weekend we'll no doubt have an increase :ohmy:

Oh, what protests anti lockdown, anti-vaxxers or ?

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 22:30
Nobody says the waves have to reach zero...

Health officials have to believe that the Covid cases are under control and that there is no community spread. This would be backed up by consistent community testing with zero cases recorded. A second wave is likely to begin from a person/s who had contracted the virus (from another who'd already had it earlier before they recovered) and had not isolated or had very few symptoms and were not tested.

Of course if borders are still open and those entering the country are not in quarantined for 2 weeks, then the virus could start again fresh from another source.

Phill2
05-06-20, 22:37
Oh, what protests anti lockdown, anti-vaxxers or ?

Black Lives protests.

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 22:56
Black Lives protests.

Aussie is a bit late, we had ours earlier on this week! I think it's a good thing as long as it's peaceful but definitely tricky with the virus still active in the community!
How's the viral load in QLD?

Phill2
05-06-20, 23:04
Only 1 a tive case at the moment.

WiseMonkey
05-06-20, 23:25
Only 1 a tive case at the moment.

Hey that's great news, is that all of Qld (including Brisbane) or just your local area?

Phill2
06-06-20, 02:48
That's all of QLD.
Fingers crossed the protests don't mess it up.

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-20, 04:30
The professionally offended will find something to take offence at in anything - just as long as it gives them an excuse to stand on their moral soapbox and expound their outrage. What joyless lives these people must live.

Whilst we're going through the canon of 70's comedic brilliance ... what about Porridge? Along with Fawlty Towers, Monty Python and others of that ilk, I still crease myself with laughter after 40 years. My favourite character was always the 'charmless Scottish nurk' screw Mackay. It wouldn't get commissioned nowadays in our humuorless PC society, but by god was it funny and very well written. Of its time and it struck a chord with the massive public viewing figures.

Porridge was excellent. They rerun them a lot at night. It hasn't lost it even after all these years just as others like Steptoe and Son haven't.

I didn't watch the reboot though.

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 05:21
That's all of QLD.
Fingers crossed the protests don't mess it up.

That's excellent Phill2, if there is any community transmission from the protests in will definitely show up with 2 weeks. Even if people had it (and were isolating at home) chances are they would have already been tested. Same with us with the protests earlier on this week, but it's unlikely ... fingers crossed though :huh: :shades:

Phill2
06-06-20, 05:53
It only takes one to ruin it!
Todays news
https://www.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/mass-public-alert-traveller-tests-positive-to-covid/news-story/6d3c258a31a5d4e0650fe7760f73ac20

AntsyVee
06-06-20, 05:55
Hi Southern Hemisphere!! :emot-wave: :hugs:

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 08:00
Hi Southern Hemisphere!! :emot-wave: :hugs:

Hi Antsy, how are you doing now, hope things are calming down a bit? :flowers:

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 08:40
It only takes one to ruin it!
Todays news
https://www.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/mass-public-alert-traveller-tests-positive-to-covid/news-story/6d3c258a31a5d4e0650fe7760f73ac20

Here's another https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-06/arrests-at-sydney-black-lives-matter-protests/12329066?fbclid=IwAR2vwqzyyGw7UaZDHD5DS3NQfjsUO-hYZ9btGOSYDfcQyJ8RihNCQqn-8-g

Pamplemousse
06-06-20, 12:22
Porridge was excellent. They rerun them a lot at night. It hasn't lost it even after all these years just as others like Steptoe and Son haven't.

Porridge is currently on iPlayer.

AntsyVee
06-06-20, 17:20
Hi Antsy, how are you doing now, hope things are calming down a bit? :flowers:

Yes, so far, so good for my city. Keep your fingers crossed!

fishman65
06-06-20, 18:09
You know, I had a mate who emigrated to Oz in 2003 with his Mrs. I wish I'd gone with them :lac:

pulisa
06-06-20, 19:42
What...and replace Everton with Aussie Rules?!!!

Lencoboy
07-06-20, 17:58
I know it's Sunday, but both our CV deaths and confirmed cases announced today are the lowest since our lockdown first started.

However, I'm kind of dreading what the stats may be end up being over the next couple of weeks following the BLM demos around the country. Three months' worth of public co-operation and patience from the vast majority possibly all down the toilet, even though I agree with the principle of the BLM demos.

fishman65
07-06-20, 18:03
What...and replace Everton with Aussie Rules?!!!Hmm I think that might be an extra reason to go Pulisa? :blush:

fishman65
07-06-20, 18:09
I know it's Sunday, but both our CV deaths and confirmed cases announced today are the lowest since our lockdown first started.

However, I'm kind of dreading what the stats may be end up being over the next couple of weeks following the BLM demos around the country. Three months' worth of public co-operation and patience from the vast majority possibly all down the toilet, even though I agree with the principle of the BLM demos.Seconded Lencoboy. While I too agree with the protests, Covid really isn't going to care who it infects, black or white. And cases WILL go up after this. What a mess this world is right now...

AntsyVee
07-06-20, 19:55
Yes, they're encouraging all protesters here to wear mask, and most that I've seen are...but they still take them off to eat or drink. And they aren't 6 ft apart.

MyNameIsTerry
07-06-20, 21:55
Yes, they're encouraging all protesters here to wear mask, and most that I've seen are...but they still take them off to eat or drink. And they aren't 6 ft apart.

Well some of them might not be wearing them other than to mask their faces :winks:

AntsyVee
08-06-20, 00:19
That's true too, Terry. But all of the protests since last weekend have been very peaceful (in LA and Orange counties), except for yesterday's where the counter-protest groups showed up.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-20, 04:50
Not the alt right bunch? That's all you need.

It's mostly peaceful here. It's a very emotive issue so I think we always have to allow for some very aggrieved people, it's not like demonstrating because of lockdown or some poor government decision. Many of them have been through a lot.

So a few spillovers are good in my opinion as it could be so much worse. Even when it was kicking off in one here there were protesters trying to stop the hotheads. That's good to see as we are reminded that most don't view it as opportunity to fight with the police and damage property.

Phill2
08-06-20, 05:11
Peaceful?
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/mathias-cormann-labels-australian-protesters-selfish-seattle-police-use-flash-bangs-on-activists/news-story/85109f0170c6086416dd54b5edf49f02

You won't be able to read the article but the pic should sum it up.

AntsyVee
08-06-20, 06:36
I couldn't see the pic either. What's it say, Phil?

Phill2
08-06-20, 07:18
COP SOAKED IN BLOOD AS UK TURNS INTO CHAOS

Boris Johnson has denounced the “thuggery” of protesters who turned Britain’s streets into chaos for a second day, with bloodied police officers targeted with bottles.
Winston Churchill’s statue was defaced and a lone protester tried to set the Union Jack on fire at The Cenotaph, a major war memorial in London.
In Bristol there were scenes reminiscent of Saddam Hussein’s statue being torn down in Iraq, when the figure of Edward Colston, a 17th century slave trader was thrown into the harbour.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/397b322701620406fd4f9fa4712420c6?width=1024
Protesters throw a statue of slave trader Edward Colston into Bristol harbour during a Black Lives Matter protest rally, in Bristol, England. Picture: APProtesters also closed major roads across the UK as the Black Lives Matter movement, sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis continued.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8324090184a6c13238fd694ed62e933a?width=650
A Police officer receives medical attention after Police clashed with demonstrators in Whitehall during a Black Lives Matter protest in London. Picture: ReutersHowever, some video footage on social media showed a female protester telling people to stop throwing objects at police.
Mr Johnson said the anti-racism demonstrations had been “subverted by thuggery”.
“People have a right to protest peacefully and while observing social distancing but they have no right to attack the police,” he said.
“These demonstrations have been subverted by thuggery - and they are a betrayal of the cause they purport to serve.
“Those responsible will be held to account.”
Police were chased down the streets near Parliament Square and Downing Street, with some officers injured and bloodied in the attacks.
A police officer fell off her horse on the weekend in earlier violent protests.
Churchill’s statue in London was defaced for a second day, with protesters spraying the words “was a racist” under the name of the man regarded as a war hero in Britain.
Neil O’Brien, a Conservative MP, tweeted a picture of the graffiti, saying: “Wait until they find out about the other guy.”
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1aac6fdb1004ad263ae788018211d52b?width=650
Protesters pulling down a statue of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol, south west England. pICXTURE: afp VIA @WILLWANTWRITES

STORYFUL0:56
Black Lives Matter Demonstrators Tear Down Statue of Edward Colston in Bristol

Protesters in Bristol, England, cheered as a statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston was torn down on June 7. Video shows the Colston monument being torn down from ...

The statue of Colston, erected in 1895, has been a target for protesters before, with some angry about Bristol’s links to the man who developed the town but also shipped slaves to America.
However, Home Secretary Priti Patel has said the toppling of the statue was “utterly disgraceful”.
“The acts of public disorder that actually have now become a distraction from the cause in which people are actually protesting about and trying to empathise and sympathise with,” she said.
“It’s right actually the police follow up on that and make sure that justice is undertaken with those individuals who are responsible for such disorderly and lawless behaviour.”
Marvin Rees, the mayor of Bristol, supported the protesters despite the vandalism and the coronavirus risks.
“Thank you to everyone who took part peacefully and respected the need to protect their communities as the Covid-19 pandemic continues,” he said.
“Let’s make the legacy of today about the future of our city, tackling racism and inequality. I call on everyone to challenge racism and inequality in every corner of our city and wherever we see it.”

WiseMonkey
08-06-20, 07:39
I don't like BoJo but he's right, it is thuggery and is no longer about the George Floyd/Black Lives Matter, it's morphed into all their other grievances.

ps. We've dropped to Level 1 and zero active cases, so life as usual but boundaries still closed (of course). Now waiting for Aussie to drop in cases then TransTasman Bubble travel can begin :)

Phill2
08-06-20, 07:44
I don't like BoJo but he's right, it is thuggery and is no longer about the George Floyd/Black Lives Matter, it's morphed into all their other grievances.

ps. We've dropped to Level 1 and zero active cases, so life as usual but boundaries still closed (of course). Now waiting for Aussie to drop in cases then TransTasman Bubble travel can begin :)

Great to see you guys doing so well

WiseMonkey
08-06-20, 08:19
Great to see you guys doing so well

Thanks Phill, QLD next :) ... just got to get the rest of Aus in line :huh:

Lencoboy
08-06-20, 11:50

Yes, our typical 'low-lifes' taking over once again. Really makes a mockery of the original intent.

Still, no reports on the BBC of any looting or buildings going up in flames, neither in London, nor elsewhere in the UK.

I personally think these demos should now cease, as not only have they been taking place for over a week now, but before they get well and truly hijacked by the hooligan element of our society who probably don't really give a flying fig about the original cause, but are just hell-bent on wanton violence and destruction just for the sake of it, particularly the far-right brigade. Detracts from the original principles of the demos and the whole saga is now also starting to deflect from the (still-unresolved) COVID-19 pandemic and the progress most of us have been making.

AntsyVee
08-06-20, 18:16
Phil, I don't know if you've been reading my thread about protests/looting/civil unrest, but in my area, as soon as the protests started, "professional" looters (mostly gangs) took it as a sign to start in. It wouldn't surprise me if other places had the same issue as well.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-20, 22:15

True. I wonder how much crossover we have with anti fascism groups, anti capitalists, anti governments types, etc? They hijacked Grenfell.

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-20, 22:16
Yes, our typical 'low-lifes' taking over once again. Really makes a mockery of the original intent.

Still, no reports on the BBC of any looting or buildings going up in flames, neither in London, nor elsewhere in the UK.

I personally think these demos should now cease, as not only have they been taking place for over a week now, but before they get well and truly hijacked by the hooligan element of our society who probably don't really give a flying fig about the original cause, but are just hell-bent on wanton violence and destruction just for the sake of it, particularly the far-right brigade. Detracts from the original principles of the demos and the whole saga is now also starting to deflect from the (still-unresolved) COVID-19 pandemic and the progress most of us have been making.

The far right brigade might stick out a bit at a BLM meet!

MyNameIsTerry
08-06-20, 22:19
Peaceful?
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/mathias-cormann-labels-australian-protesters-selfish-seattle-police-use-flash-bangs-on-activists/news-story/85109f0170c6086416dd54b5edf49f02

You won't be able to read the article but the pic should sum it up.

Mostly peaceful with some usual idiots looking for trouble. The statue thing is a new one, an import from the US. But at least we aren't seeing shops aren't being looted, cars set alight and running battles with the police

Phill2
09-06-20, 00:02
Thanks Phill, QLD next :) ... just got to get the rest of Aus in line :huh:

The problem with the southern states is all they seem to be interested in is watching football and getting into QLD.
SA , WA and the NT still have their borders closed but aren't copping the criticism QLD is.

WiseMonkey
09-06-20, 04:51
The problem with the southern states is all they seem to be interested in is watching football and getting into QLD.
SA , WA and the NT still have their borders closed but aren't copping the criticism QLD is.

Hi Phill, how are QLD monitoring their borders as it's such a large area to patrol, and likely lots of back roads where others can sneak across?

Phill2
09-06-20, 05:28
They have cops at the main crossings.
Dunno about back roads :shrug:

Lencoboy
09-06-20, 14:08
Mostly peaceful with some usual idiots looking for trouble. The statue thing is a new one, an import from the US. But at least we aren't seeing shops aren't being looted, cars set alight and running battles with the police

Perhaps a lot of our shops that were ordered to close were already cleared of their stocks by their owners as soon as our lockdown started in order to avoid any possible pilfering. I remember just prior to our lockdown there were fears of possible episodes of looting during the Great Toilet Roll Stampede and all the other 'panic-buying' that was going on back in March when the COVID-19 outbreak really started gathering pace in this country, but thankfully never materialised.

WiseMonkey
10-06-20, 00:01
You know, I had a mate who emigrated to Oz in 2003 with his Mrs. I wish I'd gone with them :lac:

Then you could have jumped the ditch and visited Kiwi-land... forget Aussie rule mate, rugby union's the game :yesyes:

Phill2
10-06-20, 01:12
Anything is better than Rugby League - even lawn bowls :roflmao:

AntsyVee
10-06-20, 01:16
Did you all see this? I guess China has a travel warning for those going to Oz.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52980637

WiseMonkey
10-06-20, 01:21

Agreed on RL tried watching it and just way too predictable/tedious, plus our Warriors (dubbed worriers) are total crap!! RU rules the day, the guys are starting an NZ counties round robin shortly, even Dan Carter has returned and playing for the Blues (Auck)... wonder if he's still got it at 38 :shrug:

Phill2
10-06-20, 01:33
Did you all see this? I guess China has a travel warning for those going to Oz.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52980637

The Chinese are upset because we're backing an inquiry.
They're telling their people we're all racists and they'll get beaten up if they come here.
They admit trying to ruin our tourist industry as revenge for the inquiry.

MyNameIsTerry
10-06-20, 04:34

Lawn bowls has more contact :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
10-06-20, 04:38
They're telling their people we're all racists and they'll get beaten up if they come here.

Aren't those coming to your unis also very likely trying to get out of China because they don't like living under that government?

AntsyVee
10-06-20, 05:15

Ouch. Have there been any attacks on Chinese tourists?

Phill2
10-06-20, 05:16
Aren't those coming to your unis also very likely trying to get out of China because they don't like living under that government?

Surely that wouldn't be the case :winks:

Phill2
10-06-20, 05:27
Ouch. Have there been any attacks on Chinese tourists?

A couple but no more than usual.

WiseMonkey
10-06-20, 05:33
We have a large minority of Chinese living here in NZ, most are quite affluent, fit into society and love our way of life etc (likely similar in Aus). Some schools take Chinese students (who's parents pay a lot to have them come here) and they're very achievement focused, puts some of our students to shame!

Although we've dropped to Level 1, they're the ones still wearing masks, don't know if they're still scared or whether it's now become a fashion statement :huh:

Phill2
10-06-20, 05:54
Yep - same here.
Their parents usually buy them a unit (flat) to live in while they're here.

AntsyVee
10-06-20, 06:54
Yes, we have Chinese nationals that do that here too. But we also have a lot of Chinese Americans who’ve been here for decades/centuries, especially in the Bay Area.

Lolalee1
10-06-20, 10:44
Same here Vee they came here in the 1800’s and set up camps in Victoria in the gold rush days

As for wearing masks and even before Covid they wear them a lot due to smog in the cities over in China.

AntsyVee
10-06-20, 18:27
Yeah, there is some strife here between Chinese Americans and Chinese immigrants, but I think they all got picked on when Covid started, unfortunately. Hate crimes against Asians rose dramatically in the past few months in the US. I'm surprised they didn't start protesting.

fishman65
10-06-20, 19:24
Then you could have jumped the ditch and visited Kiwi-land... forget Aussie rule mate, rugby union's the game :yesyes:I've got cousins in both countries from my Dad's side. Apologies I can't remember exactly where in NZ but in Australia it's Brisbane.

Anyway WM aren't the Wallabies supposed to be the best RU team in your neck of the woods? oo-er red rag to a bull :winks:

WiseMonkey
10-06-20, 21:35
I've got cousins in both countries from my Dad's side. Apologies I can't remember exactly where in NZ but in Australia it's Brisbane.

Anyway WM aren't the Wallabies supposed to be the best RU team in your neck of the woods? oo-er red rag to a bull :winks:

Bite your tongue fish :winks: they've taken a hiding in recent years but they'll be back! It's not their national game like it is ours, but we got done by England last year who got done by RSA. We would rather loose to the Wallabies than any other team though as they're our cuzzies across the ditch :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
10-06-20, 22:09
Bite your tongue fish :winks: they've taken a hiding in recent years but they'll be back! It's not their national game like it is ours, but we got done by England last year who got done by RSA. We would rather loose to the Wallabies than any other team though as they're our cuzzies across the ditch :yesyes:

That's a very different attitude to us. There's nothing bloodier than a local derby. https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/quarrel/m1147.gif

MyNameIsTerry
10-06-20, 22:11
Yeah, there is some strife here between Chinese Americans and Chinese immigrants, but I think they all got picked on when Covid started, unfortunately. Hate crimes against Asians rose dramatically in the past few months in the US. I'm surprised they didn't start protesting.

Who would be protesting though? And would Chinese Americans be viewed as xenophobic?

It's interesting because I think we have the same issues here in Asian communities. Some support tighter immigration.

AntsyVee
11-06-20, 00:09
Yeah, Terry, good questions. It's complicated. We've got the same thing going on in our Asian communities here. That's why I was curious about what was going on in Oz.

WiseMonkey
11-06-20, 01:50
Yeah, Terry, good questions. It's complicated. We've got the same thing going on in our Asian communities here. That's why I was curious about what was going on in Oz.

No real anti-Asian issues here, they make up 15.3% of our population, many are now third generation. There's been a bit of angst between some Island gangs and Chinese but it's minor.

Phill2
11-06-20, 02:15
No real anti-Asian issues here, they make up 15.3% of our population, many are now third generation. There's been a bit of angst between some Island gangs and Chinese but it's minor.

Do you still have black power and the mongrel mob over there?

WiseMonkey
11-06-20, 02:38
Do you still have black power and the mongrel mob over there?
Yep, but many are now getting rather long in the tooth! There was a big police clamp down some years back and since then they've quietened down. BP have a headquarters in Auckland where they run a business. Occasionally the PB and MM have a go at each other and the police leave them to it unless there's a death.

Of concern is a motorcycle club/gang called the Head Hunters who run lots of local business and are into money laundering etc!

Phill2
11-06-20, 05:06
I once worked with an ex MM member.
He'd come over here to get away from them.
More good news from the protests.
A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest has tested positive to coronavirus, and may have been infectious at the rally.

WiseMonkey
11-06-20, 07:43
I once worked with an ex MM member.
He'd come over here to get away from them.
More good news from the protests.
A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest has tested positive to coronavirus, and may have been infectious at the rally.

Yep I've heard it's difficult for ex gang members to leave!
Just heard on news that that Melbourne guy is among 8 new CV's relating to the protests, blimin' heck!! Intense contact tracing required now.

Phill2
11-06-20, 08:28
Yep I've heard it's difficult for ex gang members to leave!
Just heard on news that that Melbourne guy is among 8 new CV's relating to the protests, blimin' heck!! Intense contact tracing required now.

They're contact tracing already but with a crowd like that I don't think it will help.:mad:

AntsyVee
13-06-20, 06:08
So going back to issues in the Asian American community, this lady has been on the loose for awhile now, and police still can't track her down:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/06/12/woman-racist-tirade-wilson-park-torrance-workout-protest/

WiseMonkey
14-06-20, 07:46
Hey, hey first live game of rugby union today with 40,000 fans at Eden Park Auckland (we watched it on TV). This coincides with 23 days of no new virus cases :) .

WiseMonkey
15-06-20, 08:00
For those who think New Zealand is a tiny Island ...https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eaf7wpsU8AAVNi1?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eago4tJVcAAHi0S?format=png&name=small

AntsyVee
15-06-20, 08:17

So we’re back to the size matters argument now ;)

WiseMonkey
15-06-20, 08:23

So we’re back to the size matters argument now ;) Yep remember that a couple of weeks ago, and we both agreed that size matters but it's not the only pre requisite :winks:

I'm just surprised how many people think NZ is a tiny island, so posted a pic to show actual size. When NZ is viewed on a map, it appears small as it's surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea.

AntsyVee
15-06-20, 17:49
LOL It's cool, WM. I'm just being my normal cheeky self ;)

Hey, they say that one day California will be an island!

MyNameIsTerry
15-06-20, 21:59

So we’re back to the size matters argument now ;)

Look! Someone has sent we Brits a gigantic condom! Well, we did say we wanted to tighten up on people getting in :ohmy::blush::biggrin:

AntsyVee
15-06-20, 22:10
That's not a condom. That's a diaphragm. Sheesh. :P

WiseMonkey
15-06-20, 23:18
LOL It's cool, WM. I'm just being my normal cheeky self ;)

Hey, they say that one day California will be an island!

Hey Antsy, cheeky is cool, it livens things up :D My dad was an ex-pom and had an incredible sense of humour that used to send us into fits of laughter (to the chagrin of our mother)! :whistles:

Yes then California will be free for good :). I know there's been lots of talk about them wanting to be independent from the rest of the US.

AntsyVee
16-06-20, 02:09
Yeah, sometimes my "cheekiness" (here it's called 'sass') gets me into trouble. When I went to the UK, I thought I'd fit right in. But I think I was a bit too loud and touchy-feely for their tastes. I'm a hugger, not a hand-shaker. And greetings of "Hey, how's it going?" were met with odd looks sometimes LOL How are my chances in NZ?

Yeah, we have some secessionists here that were not happy with the results of the 2016 presidential election. Thank G-d for term limits.

WiseMonkey
16-06-20, 03:46
Yeah, sometimes my "cheekiness" (here it's called 'sass') gets me into trouble. When I went to the UK, I thought I'd fit right in. But I think I was a bit too loud and touchy-feely for their tastes. I'm a hugger, not a hand-shaker. And greetings of "Hey, how's it going?" were met with odd looks sometimes LOL How are my chances in NZ?

Yeah, we have some secessionists here that were not happy with the results of the 2016 presidential election. Thank G-d for term limits.

As ex-colonials we're more huggy than our UK relatives, we're more outgoing, share more and ask more questions. I found this out when I visited my cousins in 2014, they are far more guarded than NZers! Many still have the British 'stiff upper lip'.

We are very cosmopolitan in our population so you'd fit right in :flowers:

AntsyVee
16-06-20, 03:55
YAY! Sometimes I scare Americans too, but they have to put up with me, they made me ;)

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-20, 04:16
That's not a condom. That's a diaphragm. Sheesh. :P

Hmm. I thought it looked a snug fit :whistles: