PDA

View Full Version : Blood sugar - need an opinion

kalny
17-05-20, 10:06
Hey guys. I hope everybody is staying safe. Anxiety rears it's ugly head again.

Ever since my teens I've struggled with bouts of low blood sugar. If I don't get, I get low blood sugar. I've had it so many times over so many years that I've learned to live with it. Years ago, I saw a doctor who told me it was because I'm under weight. The advice was to try and eat more to put on a bit of weight. So I've kept up with trying to eat every three hours each day as I was advised. Somedays I miss it, or I'm busy or whatever and then I'll get low blood sugar.

So two years ago I saw another doctor about this and after looking at my BMI she concluded the same thing. I had a blood test too which was clear. I was told to eat more.

I'm 30 now. I still get low blood sugar if I fail to eat during the day. But recently I've noticed something else. Over Christmas I developed this killer thirst which lasted for a day. It sent my anxiety off big time (of course) it was like I would drink a bottle of water, pee loads and still be thirsty. I stupidly googled and it suggested diabetes. Because of my previous issues with low blood sugar I was inclined to believe I had high blood sugar.

This same thing has happened on two occasions this year, a bit after Christmas and last night. It's making me think I should get it checked out. I spent last night freaking out about this. I ate a lot of bread yesterday with some soup and a lot of pasta in the evening, and read about how having loads of carbs can give you high blood sugar. After eating last night I had those same feelings, like a rushing sensation and a bad thirst. It lasted for a few hours and really worried me.

I've got a blood sugar monitor coming on Monday which I really should have bought ages to go to see how low my blood goes during one of my low sugar episodes. The obvious thing to do here is get checked out which I will do - I know it has been extremely hard to get doctors appointments currently which is why I'm just asking for an opinion really. Am I screwed?

cattia
17-05-20, 14:44
You're 30 and underweight so although it's possible for you to have diabetes, I should say it's highly unlikely, especially since doctors have looked into this for you. Are you female, and if so, could this be linked to hormones? I too have had a lot of episodes of low blood sugar over the years. In my twenties it was quite bad and I would often feel faint with it and have to eat right away. Now I'm over 40 and it barely bothers me much any more, but it always used to be a lot worse before my period and I still now get killer thirst for a day or two when I am due on. I also get it if I drink too much alcohol or eat salty food, it will come on a few hours after.

kalny
17-05-20, 16:58
You're 30 and underweight so although it's possible for you to have diabetes, I should say it's highly unlikely, especially since doctors have looked into this for you. Are you female, and if so, could this be linked to hormones? I too have had a lot of episodes of low blood sugar over the years. In my twenties it was quite bad and I would often feel faint with it and have to eat right away. Now I'm over 40 and it barely bothers me much any more, but it always used to be a lot worse before my period and I still now get killer thirst for a day or two when I am due on. I also get it if I drink too much alcohol or eat salty food, it will come on a few hours after.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually male! Interesting to hear about how hormones can have an affect.

Yourboymj99
17-05-20, 21:01
What's up kalny,

Diabetes is pretty unlikely in your case. You mention you have had bouts of low blood sugar since you were in your teens. Your now 30 so if you would have had diabetes since your teens type 1 would be most likely which your doctor would not have missed. It's an autoimmune condition where the body produces little to no insulin. Untreated you would be very sick and no doctor could miss this. I'd say your clear with that one. Let's move on to type 2. It develops slowly due to decreased insulin sensitivity. When your body is exposed to high levels of insulin over a long period of time your cells can slowly become resistant to the effects of insulin. This in turn makes it less effective at regulating blood glucose which causes glucose levels to rise higher then what the kidneys can filter out. Generally speaking, type 2 doesn't develop until the BMI gets higher then normal. It's not impossible for a person with a healthy weight to develop it, say if they eat large heavy meals and processed foods all the time. Still, its atypical, and you most likely do not have diabetes type 2 either. I would try to eat whole foods as much as possible. Keep hydrated, but slowly throughout the day. If you down a whole bottle of water at once your body won't be able to use all that water at one time. Your kidneys will just dump it out in the urine. Also, start exercising if you dont already. It will help your body regulate and function properly as well as easing the anxiety this worry is causing. To answer your question. No, your not screwed. Your good to go. Sounds like your body is just doing what it has for years now but as we age our body changes and we have to adapt to those changes. Take care and good luck

kalny
21-05-20, 09:10
What's up kalny,

Diabetes is pretty unlikely in your case. You mention you have had bouts of low blood sugar since you were in your teens. Your now 30 so if you would have had diabetes since your teens type 1 would be most likely which your doctor would not have missed. It's an autoimmune condition where the body produces little to no insulin. Untreated you would be very sick and no doctor could miss this. I'd say your clear with that one. Let's move on to type 2. It develops slowly due to decreased insulin sensitivity. When your body is exposed to high levels of insulin over a long period of time your cells can slowly become resistant to the effects of insulin. This in turn makes it less effective at regulating blood glucose which causes glucose levels to rise higher then what the kidneys can filter out. Generally speaking, type 2 doesn't develop until the BMI gets higher then normal. It's not impossible for a person with a healthy weight to develop it, say if they eat large heavy meals and processed foods all the time. Still, its atypical, and you most likely do not have diabetes type 2 either. I would try to eat whole foods as much as possible. Keep hydrated, but slowly throughout the day. If you down a whole bottle of water at once your body won't be able to use all that water at one time. Your kidneys will just dump it out in the urine. Also, start exercising if you dont already. It will help your body regulate and function properly as well as easing the anxiety this worry is causing. To answer your question. No, your not screwed. Your good to go. Sounds like your body is just doing what it has for years now but as we age our body changes and we have to adapt to those changes. Take care and good luck

Thanks for this. Very helpful!