PDA

View Full Version : Nicked self with a rusty nail. A bit overdue for tetanus shot due to adverse reaction

Ultimatejourney
20-05-20, 00:56
I nicked myself with a rusty saw yesterday. The wound is minor (it's really just a scratch) and it seems clean? I'm not even sure that it bled; maybe for a hot second. I last got a booster at 12/13 (I'm 24), but my doctor wants me to see an allergist before I get the next one because last time I had a strange reaction (swelling in finger/lips), though I'm not certain that was actually an allergic reaction. I'm super scared.

Ultimatejourney
20-05-20, 18:09
I can't stop rsearching. I sort of feel as if I'm in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation.

kalny
23-05-20, 21:20
I went through anxiety hell two years ago when I did something similar. I worried myself sick for a month for no reason. Saw a doctor who told me you can't miss an infection like that as the wound quickly deteriorates and becomes inflamed and very painful.

Speak to your doctor about the boosters - not because I'm worried about what you've said, rather they will be in a better position to advise you.

There is also a huge misconception about tetanus. People always seem to think it lives on rust - it doesn't necessarily. Tetanus lives in environments deprived of oxygen, the most common place being soil. Treading on a buried rusty bit of old metal would put you in the risk zone - and even then you've already been boostered. You'd have time to get it fixed.

Breathe! Hope this helps.

AnxietySufferer
18-12-20, 09:00
Hm. I think that non anxious people, it literally would not even cross their mind re tetanus with a small wound. It is good to air on the side of caution so maybe phone the doctor see if they think you need a booster. It sounds like the previous allergic reaction was only minor, but now that you know you MAY be allergic it means you can monitor whether you have a similar reaction again.

ShaunRyder
18-12-20, 13:32
Hey, I was worried about tetanus a few years ago, if you use the search engine on this forum for all past tetanus posts you will come across a number of them which have a lot of information and it really put my mind at ease.