PDA

View Full Version : Doctor wants my PARENTS to attend appointment with me. I’m 27

Radiationworried
20-05-20, 16:58
Has anyone ever heard of this?

My doctor’s nurse called me today and said my doctor wants both of my parents to attend the appointment I have scheduled for tomorrow.

Just for background info, my doctor knows my parents personally... But why would he want them to come with me? Any ideas?

Fishmanpa
20-05-20, 17:10
Just an assumption based on your other post about radiation fears....

You've had quite a few tests in the last few years. Obviously, the reason being is that you felt something was wrong, went to the doctor and they, practicing CYA (cover your ass) medicine, ordered the tests, all of which showed nothing physically wrong. Perhaps its to discuss your mental health.

Positive thoughts

whispershadow
20-05-20, 17:14
Not sure how it works over there, but could you refuse if your not comfortable with your parents going with you and just go on your own?

O_O
20-05-20, 17:23
That does sound strange. Your doctor seems to be overstepping the mark a bit, due to his personal relationship with your parents.

Or could your parents have set this up? Are they concerned about your mental health?

You are of course within your rights to say no. But perhaps it would be good to have some support from your parents if you're struggling mentally.

Radiationworried
20-05-20, 17:30
Just an assumption based on your other post about radiation fears....

You've had quite a few tests in the last few years. Obviously, the reason being is that you felt something was wrong, went to the doctor and they, practicing CYA (cover your ass) medicine, ordered the tests, all of which showed nothing physically wrong. Perhaps its to discuss your mental health.

Positive thoughts

I had this thought as well. Maybe since he knows my parents he wants to put their mind at ease that nothing is wrong with me.

A small part of me is thinking there’s bad news. But he can’t reveal anything like that because of confidentiality right?

Radiationworried
20-05-20, 17:31
That does sound strange. Your doctor seems to be overstepping the mark a bit, due to his personal relationship with your parents.

Or could your parents have set this up? Are they concerned about your mental health?

You are of course within your rights to say no. But perhaps it would be good to have some support from your parents if you're struggling mentally.

I don’t think my parents set this up. They seem genuinely shocked and concerned over it as well.

Scass
20-05-20, 17:33
Do you know what your appointment is about?

It is sometimes common here for consultants to advise you to bring someone with you to appointments so that they can maybe support or ask questions on your behalf.

Radiationworried
20-05-20, 17:38
Do you know what your appointment is about?

It is sometimes common here for consultants to advise you to bring someone with you to appointments so that they can maybe support or ask questions on your behalf.

I had scans and blood tests yesterday at the hospital because I’ve been vomiting, no appetite and losing weight. (Now 95 pounds - my lowest ever)

Tomorrow is the follow up appointment after those tests.

Fishmanpa
20-05-20, 17:43
I had this thought as well. Maybe since he knows my parents he wants to put their mind at ease that nothing is wrong with me.

A small part of me is thinking there’s bad news. But he can’t reveal anything like that because of confidentiality right?

The doctor/patient confidentiality does come into play here but I'm in line with what you're thinking. No doubt your parents worry about you when you're suffering with physical symptoms but in light of the fact that tests have revealed nothing wrong thus far, he wants to reassure them and discuss your mental health.

I was actually going to ask what the appointment is for as well. In light of what you said, I agree with Scass. Let us know how things go...

Positive thoughts

Scass
20-05-20, 20:49
I had scans and blood tests yesterday at the hospital because I’ve been vomiting, no appetite and losing weight. (Now 95 pounds - my lowest ever)

Tomorrow is the follow up appointment after those tests.

Maybe the nurse got it a bit wrong and meant to say that you could bring your parents if you wanted to.

I think it’s best not to read too much into it because you just don’t know until you get there.

Let us know how it goes.

katniss
21-05-20, 17:43
Hopefully your appointment went well!

Radiationworried
21-05-20, 19:44
For those interested in how it went...

He wanted my family there to “put everything on the table” and question if I have an eating disorder. Which is absolutely not true.

The scans and blood tests were normal so he put me on an appetite stimulant, prokinetic drug and anti nausea meds.

Yay for no cancer, but I STILL don’t know what’s causing my stomach problem to begin with. So I guess the frustration continues.

Fishmanpa
21-05-20, 20:12

He wanted my family there to “put everything on the table” and question if I have an eating disorder. Which is absolutely not true.

The scans and blood tests were normal so he put me on an appetite stimulant, prokinetic drug and anti nausea meds.

Yay for no cancer, but I STILL don’t know what’s causing my stomach problem to begin with. So I guess the frustration continues.

So my inkling was partially correct. He recognizes its a mental issue but its not an eating disorder. That said, anxiety causes stomach/digestion/bowel issues as demonstrated on the forum by the sheer number of posts about it.

Was therapy or meds discussed for that?

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
21-05-20, 20:16
Do you live with your parents, RW?

Sparky16
21-05-20, 23:55

I kind of thought that was what was up. Way to scare people doc! :doh:

I hope these meds help. Stomach issues are the pits.

Scass
22-05-20, 06:51
I’m pleased you’re ok, but I don’t like the way you weren’t given an option about bringing your parents.

I hope the new medication helps, please keep us updated.

ankietyjoe
22-05-20, 12:14
When my anxiety and/or stress is at it's worst, I completely lose my appetite. This has happened three time in my life and I will easily lose 5-10lbs a week.

Reading through your posts, I think you have got into a habitual way of eating too little, and are caught up in a cycle of worrying about something that isn't happening which is paradoxically causing the symptoms of the thing you are worried about that you don't have.

Now is the time to mentally take stock of the completely negative tests, and (with your parents?) come up with a long term plan to get you back to normality. This could include therapy and daily efforts in calorie increase. Fundamentally you need nutrition and mental calm, and you can achieve this over time.