PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else HATE taking medicine?

Radiationworried
22-05-20, 17:54
I’ve just been prescribed 3 new medications to take for my chronic stomach issues. So far I’ve only taken one of them and it’s causing me a lot of mental distress. I cannot imagine taking all 3.

I have always been the type of person that would rather suffer through a headache than take a tylenol. And there have been plenty of times I buy a medication - only to read the side effects leaflet and throw the whole bottle right in the trash.

I am overly conscious of bodily sensations as it is - and the last thing I want is a substance adding more of them and making me question if it’s serious.

I’ve been prescribed “megestrol” to increase appetite. This has possible side effects of blood clots, pulmonary embolism and heart attack. As well as others.

“Reglan” to help with gastric emptying and nausea - which has a black box label and is banned in several countries. It can prolong the QT interval in your heart causing sudden death.

And “Nexium” for reflux which is the only one I’ve ventured to take so far, and even then I’m so worried about it. I’ve had a few adverse reactions to medication in the past so that’s what I think has triggered this fear in me.

Do any of you deal with similar anxiety and dread when having to pop a pill? How do you deal with it? I know it’s easy to say “there’s only a small chance of it happening” but of course I feel like I’ll be one of the unlucky ones that has the dangerous side effects.

I feel screwed either way. If I don’t take it I’m going to remain very sick, and if I do take it I might still get sick - and maybe be worse off too! Advice appreciated.

Scass
22-05-20, 20:17
God yes, I do and it’s also very common on here.

The people who had a lovely time on those drugs with no side effects aren’t going to take time to post about it. Because they don’t care about that sort of thing.

I have taken omeprazole too, I waited about a week to pick up my prescription and still I was so scared of it. I think it made me a bit constipated- but to be honest so does my anxiety without taking it!

Your doctor has been very thorough and I’m sure he believes that the benefits of these drugs outweigh any issues. He will have checked that they won’t cause problems together, and from all the tests you’ve had done recently he will know that your body is better off at least trying these medications.

Take a few days, but your anxiety will only increase. It might be better to just get it over with and bite the bullet! Your parents are there to watch over you, if you start to get an adverse reaction stop taking them and contact your gp.

But I know it’s horrible, I’ve even made my own thread about it! (And I was fine, they cleared up my problem and caused no side effects).

Fishmanpa
22-05-20, 22:56
The PPI, Nexium, is pretty much a no brainer. Even if its used for a short time and weaned off, it can and will help with the reflux issues. Keep in mind, it can take a couple of weeks to really kick in and you have to watch your diet and avoid foods that aggravate your stomach. Look into the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet. My wife and I follow it and with the addition of Pantoprazole, we do just fine. We keep Mylanta and chewables (Tums) around if needed for breakthrough reflux.

The other meds? If you read warnings and side effects of any med and something as simple as aspirin, you'll get spooked due to your anxiety. Thing is, you need to put on weight! That's why it was prescribed. If you have the inner fortitude and self discipline to make sure you eat enough, then the med could be avoided but you need to eat! As far as the med to help you poo? I take an OTC stool softener (Colace) and daily dose of Miralax to keep me regular and have been doing so for years with no issues.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a doctor. Check with him and discuss before doing anything!

Positive thoughts