PDA

View Full Version : Odds and Chances

wingo22
25-05-20, 15:57
Hi everyone,

I feel like being couped up at home has gotten me thinking about terrible things. I was able to get an EMG and nerve conduction study in December which all came back normal. Then I was fine. Now I am worried about getting some terrible disease in the future. I am big on statistics and numbers. I have been reading a lot of different things that show the chances of getting ALS and MS and all these things. For some reason I am stuck on ALS and trying not to go down the rabbit hole. Does anyone know or a website or have knowledge of the chances of getting ALS vs something common like Cancer or heart disease? I know its a rare disease and I am only 30 but for some reason I have been worried about the future and what the chances are of getting it later on in life.

I have read that getting cancer in your lifetime is like 1 in 4, and ALS is like 1 in 50, 000. Is that correct?? But for some reason I am focusing so strongly on it :( I just need some help and words of encouragement.

thanks everyone and i hope you stay safe

Fishmanpa
25-05-20, 16:00
I suggest you find a way to stop researching. You're never going to be satisfied and all your doing is feeding the dragon :lac:

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
25-05-20, 16:06
Sounds like typical Health anxiety to me..... your brain has had something ruled out so it is now looking for something different to worry about.

The truth being that noone knows what is going to happen in the future, I couldn't tell you that you wouldn't get any of those things in the future, no one can....so you can either spend your life worrying about something that is completely unknown and not in your control, which will make you anxious and quite honestly a waste of time OR you can accept that you can't predict your future and live your life to make yourself happy.

I know it really isn't that easy to just pick and choose what your brain thinks of though

wingo22
26-05-20, 15:59
Vewry true. Im just trying to convince my brain to stop worrying about things. Its hard to get out and keep busy during this time.

pav1984
26-05-20, 18:08
Online chess. Sudoku. Books. Learning new things. These things help me to escape. Not always easy though.

Yourboymj99
26-05-20, 18:43
Hey wingo

The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. That said, stop wasting your time focusing on and worrying about the odds. Nobody knows or has any control of the future. Trying to convince yourself to stop worrying will just keep your anxiety alive. Just let it go. Your healthy right now, enjoy it.

Take care

wingo22
29-05-20, 14:53
:)
thanks for that