PDA

View Full Version : Are swelled feet a sign of anything?

BrokenGirl
26-05-20, 19:58
My son (who's 18) walked out to me a while ago without any shoes or socks on.
Whatever way I looked at his feet I thought they looked a bit swelled, but I wasn't sure.
I tried to look a few times before he went back into his room, without him noticing, but I'm still not sure.
He was after having a shower about 30 mins before that, not sure if that would make a difference to feet or not.
I know swelled feet (if he even had them) are a sign of something (heart problems come to mind straight away) but would there be other signs of something wrong as well?
Please someone tell me this is the dragon breathing down my neck again - he's doing so much of that these days :scared15:

AntsyVee
26-05-20, 20:31
Usually it's due to over exercise or being on one's feet for too long. Has he had this before?

BrokenGirl
26-05-20, 21:00
Usually it's due to over exercise or being on one's feet for too long. Has he had this before?
It's definitely not due to those 2 reasons anyway - he hadn't been doing much up to that point today.

I don't know if he's had it before, and I'm not 100% sure if he has it now either.
My feet are fairly thin and bony, always have been. Perhaps I'm just comparing them to mine, and then my HA mind is blowing it out of proportion. He appears to be fine and healthy otherwise.
It's just that nagging "what if this is something" thought is going through my mind again

WiredIncorrectly
26-05-20, 21:12
Do you have pitting edema? You can test for this yourself. Push your finger into the skin that is swollen. Does it leave an indent?

I had this problem. For me it was a result of daily drinking. When I quit alcohol it went away and has never returned. If you have pitting edema you're retaining water in your feet. Generally means nothing if you've been sitting on chair all day for example, or on your feet.

Can be a sign of liver damage, kidney damage, blood pressure issues or heart problems. Obviously I'm not saying this to cause you worry. Just sharing my experience of having this myself.

If it's not pitting edema, it's likely nothing to worry about.

WiredIncorrectly
26-05-20, 21:17
Sorry, I read its your son who is 18. That's too young for any of the above. Sitting around, or being on your feet, can cause them to swell a little.

Yourboymj99
26-05-20, 21:56
Hi

It's normal for ones feet to swell slightly if they have been very sedentary. Gravity pulls blood down to the lower extremities, and without moving about will be slower to circulate. That said, I wouldn't worry to much regardless. Your concerns are very similar to someone thinking their left palm is atrophied compared to the right. Leave that determination to the medically trained as I'm sure your son is just fine. Take care

SarahNah
26-05-20, 22:06
I remember when I was a teenager and my Mam would drag me away for Sunday drives and walks. I was a very "online" kinda teen and wouldn't walk anywhere I didn't have too. Long story short- my feet would swell up after walking. Even it was hot and if he was wearing certian socks or shoes it can all lead to some swelling! I'm sure he's fine :) x

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

BrokenGirl
27-05-20, 10:41
Thank you all for replying. I was starting to calm a bit last night but I'm in a bad way again this morning over it. Just thinking the worst, terrified it's a heart problem.
Am I completely over reacting? Because I know I've been doing a lot of that lately.
And I don't want to say it to him if it's all for nothing, I try to hide my HA from the children. What do I do?

AntsyVee
27-05-20, 17:50
How does he feel? Does he feel like his feet are swollen?

BrokenGirl
27-05-20, 18:20
How does he feel? Does he feel like his feet are swollen?
I don't know, and I haven't asked him.

I don't want to say it to him because of my history of completely over reacting when it comes to health issues. And I have been in a bad spiral lately.

Would a person generally know if their feet were swollen? Would it cause some sort of discomfort?

AntsyVee
27-05-20, 19:20
Yes, it does. If he hasn’t said anything, I’m sure it’s all in your head.

BrokenGirl
27-05-20, 23:11
Yes, it does. If he hasn’t said anything, I’m sure it’s all in your head.
I've never had swollen feet myself so I didn't know if there would be any discomfort with them too.
I'm just hoping that he would say something if they were sore or uncomfortable.

HA is so difficult when you're worried about someone else. At least if it was my own feet I could check them properly and decide if they were swollen or not. Not so easy when it's someone else, and I didn't even see his feet today as he wore socks all day......

BrokenGirl
28-05-20, 11:07
Is there something wrong with me that I can't let this go?
I'm reading through the Health Anxiety modules that are in a sticky, and I'm trying to apply them to this current situation. But every time I try to apply logic, the dragon just takes over and tells me there's something seriously wrong.

For example, yesterday evening I was lying on my bed reading a book when my son came in to me. For whatever reason he ran up the stairs quite quickly. And when he came into me he was out of breath. I asked him what was wrong, as he was breathing heavy, and he laughed and said he is just after running up the stairs. After about a minute he was fine again, breathing normal. But I'm thinking he shouldn't be out of breath after a quick 5/6 second run, or should he, I don't know. And of course my mind is thinking out of breath, possibly swollen feet, this all equals heart problems.
I'm withered from this.....

Scass
28-05-20, 11:57
He would tell you if he was worried or feeling ill. He’s still young enough that he’d need you reassurance.

Lencoboy
28-05-20, 14:03
Don't mean to sound patronising but at least no one as yet has attempted to shoehorn COVID-19 into this. And probably quite rightly so.

No pun intended, re bit in bold BTW!!

BrokenGirl
28-05-20, 15:24
He would tell you if he was worried or feeling ill. He’s still young enough that he’d need you reassurance.
So IF this is related to a heart issue, then would he know something is wrong? Would there be a few other symptoms, and would his feet seem very swollen?
(Having HA, we tend to notice every tiny little difference. No matter how small a symptom is, we'll find it)

You just hear of these awful stories where young people suddenly drop dead from an undiagnosed heart condition, and that's scaring the life out of me. I don't know much about the details of these - I tend to not listen to them if possible due to my HA, so I'll turn off the radio/tv or do whatever it takes not to hear it.