PDA

View Full Version : Broken thumb

louise0501
27-05-20, 22:53
Hi. About 8 weeks ago i hurt my thumb and it was swollen and really painful. The swelling went down after about a day so thought maybe I just hurt it quite bad and it will get better and due to covid 19 I was scared to go to the doctors or hospital. It's been 8 weeks and it's still quite painful, it hurts round the base of the thumb, I can move it however. Do you think it's broken? Could it still heal on it's own? I'm really worried about it.

Please reply
Love Louise xxxxxxxxxx

AntsyVee
27-05-20, 22:58
It could have a small fracture or even a tendon tear. You should probably have it checked out just to make sure it’s setting right, if it was broken. Thumbs do take a long time to heal and get full sensation back. I’ve broken mine before. And if you smoke or are diabetic it will take twice as long to heal.

louise0501
27-05-20, 23:24
Yeah the pain is quite bad. I thought it was getting better then last week I was getting something for my son under his bed and hit it again and its started really hurting again. Can a broken bone heal on it's own? If I go to the doctors can they fix it even though I have left it 8 weeks? I'm so scared to even go to the doctor.

Love Louise xxxxxxx

AntsyVee
28-05-20, 01:45
It can...but it might not heal straight or properly.

louise0501
29-05-20, 01:03
Ok. I'm so worried I've left it to long and it wont heal. What treatment could the doctor do?

Love Louise xxxxxxxxx

Fishmanpa
29-05-20, 01:07
Ok. I'm so worried I've left it to long and it wont heal. What treatment could the doctor do?

You need to see a doctor if you're that concerned before jumping to any conclusions.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 03:01
They give you a splint to keep it immobilized, and they will set it straight if they need to.

AntsyVee
29-05-20, 03:01
Plus pain pills if needed