PDA

View Full Version : Optic nerve slightly inflamed

carriewriting
29-05-20, 07:28
At a recent eye test my optometrist said my optic nerve was slightly inflamed in both eyes. On the report he wrote "NOT papilloedema" which initially helped ease my brain tumour fears, but I've been worrying a lot about MS.

I saw my GP after the appointment and she said I didn't have symptoms of optic neuritis and my vision is excellent. She didn't think any further action was required before I went back to see him to check if the swelling has changed at all.

The appointment is next week and I'm really having trouble controlling my anxiety about a brain tumour (apparently I've worried about MS so much that I've made peace with that). I've had a tension headache for a month. Not bad enough to take painkillers and I had the same thing happen last year both times due to pressure at work, but knowing there's something wrong with my optic nerve has me rattled.

It's hard to put symptoms down to anxiety when you have an actual medical issue and I am a huge catastrophiser so my mind keeps taking me to scary places.

I'm trying to remind myself that my GP said the optometrist told her it might just be a normal reading for me and it might be nothing, but it's so hard.

pav1984
29-05-20, 18:43
I had inflammation of the optic nerve which caused double vision. The optition sent me straight to my gp who send me to hospital. Basically what I am saying is, if your gp AND optometrist think there is nothing to worry about then you should relax. If they thought something was wrong they would have sent you straight to hospital.

pav1984
29-05-20, 18:47
Stupid as it sounds maybe drop the caffeine a little if you are a fan of coffee.

carriewriting
30-05-20, 12:46
I had another episode of night blindness in my left eye last night and was panicking about a TIA so went to the emergency department today. They did a thorough eye and neuro exam plus an ECG and said my eyes look really healthy and there's no signs of a TIA so that was a relief. They said to follow up with the optometrist about the optic nerve inflammation, but there's no sign of optic neuritis so I'm feeling a lot calmer now. I was so scared to go to the hospital, but am glad I did.

pav1984
30-05-20, 13:41
Inflammation of the optic nerve can be something as simple as sinus from my understanding. Glad you got the ok.

carriewriting
03-06-20, 08:13
Had my appointment with the optometrist today. After a bunch of tests that I swear were designed to make me blind, he says all looks good.

I say, "what a relief, so I don't have to worry about MS".

He says, "Not necessarily," then tells me he's also not convinced I didn't have a TIA.

With my panic rising I say "I'm seeing my GP tomorrow, what should I tell her?"

He says "Tell her you're fine. Back to normal."

At this point I want to strangle him, but instead I say "Okay, so see you in 12 months?"

and he says "Unless anything changes."

So I'm 90% reassured.

Now I just need to get good blood test results tomorrow.

pav1984
03-06-20, 13:20
I'm no doctor but it is my understanding that it unlikely that ms would affect both eyes at once. Ms attacks the nerve which is where the inflammation comes from. So for both eyes to be affected would mean 2 attacks at the same time. I would also imagine some damage to have occurred. Blurred vision, double vision etc. Usually recovers over time or with steroids.

Like I say I am no doctor and i may be wrong.

carriewriting
04-06-20, 02:53
GP has ordered a brain MRI just to be sure nothing's going on. That's in 2 weeks time.

RVP
07-06-20, 17:10
Hi Carrie, I am also experiencing similar tension headache to you. Have you had any luck with it thus far? I've had a pressure headache on the top of my head and sometimes on the back/temples (basically all over) for over 2 weeks now and it's constantly there. Nothing really seems to ease it, sometimes get my wife to massage my neck/shoulders and that does help, but then I convince myself that it's all in my mind. All I keep thinking about is a brain tumor like yourself.

carriewriting
08-06-20, 05:50
Hi RVP, the headaches are better, but still there most days (especially when I think about them). I desperately need a massage on my neck and shoulders but things are still closed here.

My MRI is in 7 days. At this point I'm convinced I have a tumour and MS and liver/pancreatic cancer (blood tests my GP ran for the headaches showed slightly elevated liver enzymes). It's amazing how I can write this and know it's crazy, but still be gripped by fear that it's true. I keep trying to remind myself that I'm not a psychic.

I hope you get some relief soon.

carriewriting
18-06-20, 10:18
I had my brain MRI and the GP said it was okay but wants me to see a neurologist to be sure. The report said "No intercranial abnormality" but in the findings it says "There is stenosis" which is narrowing of an artery. My GP didn't mention the stenosis to me or in her referral to the neurologist, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm seeing her again next week and will ask then.

In an effort to overcome my health anxiety I now have a thread called "Overcoming Google addiction" in the Top Tips section.

pav1984
18-06-20, 10:56
Thanks for the update. At least the mri has ruled out MS etc.

carriewriting
16-07-20, 06:45
Another update. I went to see the neurologist today. I think at first he thought I was insane as I rambled off everything that's been going on, but we were getting along famously by the end. I think he liked that I was upfront about my health anxiety and could laugh about it, especially about the typo on my MRI!! Yes, you read that right. The stenosis I mentioned in the post above that was in my MRI report was a typo! My GP checked with the radiologist and he apologised profusely. It should have said "NO stenosis". Seriously!

Anyway, he did a neuro exam and looked at my MRI. He said the MRI is about as clean as you can get and he if he had to say what caused my loss of vision he'd say a migraine, but even then he's not convinced. He's also got zero concerns about the optic nerve. He said it looks normal. I said so can I cross dementia, MS and stroke off my worry list and he said yes. So I'm going to! Thanks to everyone who has been supporting me and helping me rationalise my fears over the past few months.

pulisa
16-07-20, 08:28
Wonderful news!! Just so awful that you should be the one having the typo to contend with but you survived and got it sorted!

Laughing about your HA is one way to challenge it...but only after getting the all clear of course! I do hope this excellent news gives you a boost for managing your HA in future x

carriewriting
16-03-21, 03:12
Just a further follow-up for anyone with similar concerns. I had a follow-up appointment where my optic nerve was checked again today. It's still inflamed a bit. Normal is 140 the optometrist said and mine is 180, but it's been that for 3 tests in a row now so he's confident that's just my normal or he said it might be blood vessels crossing over above the nerve making the reading a bit higher. The good news is he said if there was an underlying cause, he'd expect the nerve reading would go up and down, but mine is stable. I asked a lot of questions and he was great about answering them all. That's something I've learned to do at medical appointments now. Instead of feeling shame and embarrassment about my anxiety, pretending I'm okay and then going home and freaking out I've started forcing myself to ask questions about the things I'm worried about. I've found it's made a big difference to my mental load. All the best x