PDA

View Full Version : How are you dealing with COVID fears?

Ethansmom
05-06-20, 05:52
I’ve been getting a little better but still worry I will end up on a ventilator and will die. Some of my days are better than others. I’m a teacher and worried about teaching in the fall!

ErinKC
05-06-20, 12:15
The best thing for me has been to take control of what I can and try to stay in the moment. There is so much uncertainty surrounding this virus that it's just a waste of energy to what if. I'm in law school and I spent a lot of time worrying about if we'd be going back in the fall, what I'd do, if my daughter would be back in school, etc... and I finally realized it's pointless. No one knows. No one knows what the virus will do tomorrow let alone a few months from now. It's really hard to not try and plan ahead because planning is comforting, but I've mostly managed to stay in the now and take things as they come.

And, I've find a sense of control and calm in my own environment. I feel safe in our home. We pick up groceries curbside, we order things online, etc... At this point I really have no fear of actually catching Covid since we don't go anywhere and I feel like we have control over our environment. I'm having surgery in July and need to go in three weeks for pre-op testing. I was VERY nervous about this a few weeks ago, but I've even stopped worrying about that. The numbers are going down and there is so much in place to keep us safe at doctors that I don't even really worry about catching it at the doctor or in the hospital.

I'm really curious to see what happens in the wake of the protests going on now. They are almost like a national study on the potency and transmission of the virus at this stage and I think the change or lack of change in numbers in the next few weeks will actually be very informative.

Elen
05-06-20, 12:40
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

AntsyVee
06-06-20, 05:48
All of us teachers are worried about the fall, trust me. We’re just going to have to take things a day at a time. When it gets too overwhelming for me, I turnoff the news and do something constructive.

FrankT
06-06-20, 08:59
Badly.

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 09:07
All of us teachers are worried about the fall, trust me. We’re just going to have to take things a day at a time. When it gets too overwhelming for me, I turnoff the news and do something constructive.

Surely they won't open schools until the virus is under control and parents won't be sending their children back until they feel confident that it is.

Tamsyn
06-06-20, 12:09
Hi I’m in South Africa we are currently going into winter and the cases has started picking up, I’m from the western cape which is currently the epicenter of the disease here it’s so scary and I’ve tried to stop watching the news , I’m working from home @ the moment but lockdown has been lifted and the numbers are increasing rapidly , it’s flue season and my sinuses are crazy and scratchy throat that things that would normally not bother me has me thinking in overdrive wondering if I have Covid it’s absolutely crazy , praying for a miracle as we head into the peak here

Pamplemousse
06-06-20, 12:20
Badly.

Same here, truth be told. I was a wreck last night, in tears and trembling. Why? I'd developed a cough. It would appear it was no more than an irritation from exposure to something as it passed as I went to sleep.

I now have to take sleeping tablets nightly else I lie awake at night; I can't read because there's a second voice in my head going on about the virus. I barely listen to the radio or watch TV because of the virus; and I try and avoid leaving the house because of same. I'm angry partly at myself because I had an agreement with the regular postwoman for her to sign for parcels and put them in a safe place on my behalf - but she seems to have been replaced and now I have to go to the Post Office to collect them and every trip I take past my garden fence feels like I am playing Russian Roulette with my life. I used to enjoy a takeaway weekly, but I've stopped that as there's a contamination potential, either from the delivery or the driver. Plus, it's expensive.

I lost work back in March (pre-LINO) and recently I was offered some again but despite it being an offer well into four figures, I declined. I just don't feel safe beyond my house. As I don't qualify for any government financial assistance schemes, I am living as frugally as possible from my savings. A once-a-week collection of groceries is as much as I can cope with.

I just don't know how the rest of the UK copes with it, especially those in the NHS 'front line'.

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 12:39
Hi I’m in South Africa we are currently going into winter and the cases has started picking up, I’m from the western cape which is currently the epicenter of the disease here it’s so scary and I’ve tried to stop watching the news , I’m working from home @ the moment but lockdown has been lifted and the numbers are increasing rapidly , it’s flue season and my sinuses are crazy and scratchy throat that things that would normally not bother me has me thinking in overdrive wondering if I have Covid it’s absolutely crazy , praying for a miracle as we head into the peak here

Hi, when did you go into full lock down and how long was it for? Interested as I haven't read much about RSA. We are headed into Winter too but have the virus under control and almost eliminated.

Tamsyn
06-06-20, 16:00
We went on a national lockdown on the 26 March , we then moved down to Level 4 in May and in the 1 June we moved to level 3 , where most businesses are allowed to trade still no visiting , exercising is allowed and masks must be worn when out in public, I must say every effort was put in to help contain the virus.however Cases are increasing at a rapid pace now, however there is no way financially a complete lockdown can last. it’s so scary we just pray

pulisa
06-06-20, 17:58
It's very hard when you're not in an isolated country and at the mercy of others who either make the decisions or flout the rules. Going into Winter makes things more challenging still but I think you've done the right thing by stopping watching the news and keeping yourself as safe as possible. That's all you can do...but please continue to post on here and maybe we can all try to help you through all the fear associated with approaching the peak? x

WiseMonkey
06-06-20, 22:08

When we came out of lockdown to Level 3, schools were opened for children of essential workers. Only the younger teachers (without pre-existing conditions) went back to work, the others continued to support pupils through online learning.

Relievers (you call them supply teachers) haven't received much work but it's trickling in now. The MOE (ministry of education) paid us 80% of what our wage was in the school term before the lockdown occured. The pay lasted for six weeks which was a bonus. Fully employed teachers got their usual wage.

My daughter who's a college teacher, is back in school now and all classes have returned to normal. She says most pupils are back on track with their learning but a few are still 'zoned out'!! The Government has announced changes to NCEA, which give students more time to prepare for end of year assessment and help manage the impact of the disruption COVID-19 has caused to schooling. NCEA are the assessment and end of year exams for pupils in their last 3 years of college or high school, pupils are 16-18 yrs.

AntsyVee
07-06-20, 04:42
That's good to hear.

Right now, our school district has formed a committee to figure out how we're going to open up in the fall. Unless the state Department of Education puts specific requirements on the opening of schools, they're pretty much leaving it up to each city's district for now. Our summer school is virtual for the time-being. Luckily we were paid fully for the two and a half months we were out of school, but considering how much aid the state has had to pay out to people for this Covid emergency, we are all expecting budget cuts for the fall :S

We know when we go back to school there are going to be a lot of lazy students and more students with mental health problems as those who come from dysfunctional families and families in poverty have pretty much been trapped in those environments.

panicstricken
07-06-20, 08:17
Very badly, I'm pretty much terrified all of the time xx brief moments of restbite when I'm busy with my husband and little ones and then its kicks in that awful voice. What if this, what if that?, it usually centres around me making everyone sick or us catching covid, or is the garden safe? are deliveries safe? is cuddling my children safe? the list is endless😭🤯

Its exhausting, I am trying to be rational and I know a lot of this is anxiety and ridiculous as we are doing everything we can to stay safe but it just slowly eats away at my peace of mind. It didnt help that despite isolating for over 10 weeks at the time, I had been in the garden and my temp spiked the day after, called dr as I felt anxious and fairly I'll. Dr actually said it could be covid u need to isolate sent me into free fall over a month later and I'm still obcessing over it, and anxiety symptoms are worse than ever 😥😥.

pulisa
07-06-20, 08:30
It's easy for a doctor to say it "could" be covid..Of course it could but it's far more likely to be something routine and you've been sent into a tailspin of panic for no reason..

I'm glad your husband and children are fine but you're not, mentally and fear of covid has taken over your life. Do you know when you would be able to feel "safe" again? What would have to happen? x

WiseMonkey
07-06-20, 08:41
We know when we go back to school there are going to be a lot of lazy students and more students with mental health problems as those who come from dysfunctional families and families in poverty have pretty much been trapped in those environments.

My daughter is finding that issue with some pupils who come from dysfunctional families. Being college age, most are aware of their anxiety and know it's because of tension within the family. The school has three counselors who can help pupils and they don't need permission to see one.

panicstricken
07-06-20, 08:44
Hi pulisa, how are you? Thanks for responding x

I honestly think It will take a long time for the covid fear to go away but I think in all honesty I would probably start to feel safe when I see the confirmed cases falling to a lower level. I dont look at them at all now but my husband bless him does and tells me everyday we are going the right way xxx either that or having g a vaccine or medicine to help.

I think for me it's more that my family can get sick my little ones etc. However small the possibility I worry over it, my husband and my children are my world and two of them are classed as pre existing conditions and vulnerable. Its posed a lot of fear as u are always told its these people that get most sick and are at most risk of non recovery.. I want to thankyou for putting up.with my continued anxiety xxx u have been such a help and I find talking on here really helps.
I'm still working through my cbt book will keep fighting as my anxiety will not defeat me. Xxx

pulisa
07-06-20, 13:54
You don't need to thank me, panicstricken. My son has underlying health problems but he is more at risk from severe mental health issues. My daughter has autism and OCD-contamination so for her this is her worst nightmare so I do understand how terrifying the whole situation must be for you. I just have to take my chances with covid as a carer and try not to think about the what ifs because for me it's a question of getting through the days, covid or no covid.

I'm really pleased that you are working through your CBT book because it means that you are making a stand against anxiety and not letting yourself be overwhelmed with fears of something which may never happen. You deserve to get your life back and to stop being a prisoner to covid xx

panicstricken
07-06-20, 14:11
Oh pulisa I think you are amazing xx you are so strong and honestly u are someone I look up to so much xx I hope.your son and daughter are ok it must be so difficult atm for you all xxx

I hope you are all able to find peace and this awful covid disappears very soon xx thankyou so much for all.you are doing and for taking the time to talk to me xxxxxxxxx

pulisa
07-06-20, 14:15
I have other demons so am not as strong as you think but thank you so much for your really kind words and let us hope that this horrible situation gets better as soon as possible. Keep plugging away at your CBT and get your life back to share with your lovely family! xx

AntsyVee
07-06-20, 19:46
My daughter is finding that issue with some pupils who come from dysfunctional families. Being college age, most are aware of their anxiety and know it's because of tension within the family. The school has three counselors who can help pupils and they don't need permission to see one.

Yes, I teach in a high poverty area, so that's something we run into normally, but since so many have lost jobs due to Covid. We imagine it to be worse. Right now we're going to have extra social workers and counselors starting with us in the fall, but I don't know how long that will last due to budget cuts.