PDA

View Full Version : Is there a toolkit to beat anxiety?

jesterx
22-10-07, 10:36
im not sure about a toolkit, but there is few tips that i can give that have helped me beat this thing......dont worry if you feel helpless and that it can never go away....know that you can beat it if you really want....and your determined.

1) admit you can't stand it anymore...this wont be hard for some, and go see your doctor. make sure you sit down and spill your guts for him, to see which direction to take.

2) Ensure yourself that you are not "crazy" or "going crazy."

3) Learn relaxation techniques even when your not reaching that point of no return, u know just before you feel an attack come on. This will help with relaxing when an attack does come.

4) breathing...its all about the breathing. Place one hand on your stomach.
Breathe in slowly and deeply into the bottom of your lungs. You should be able to feel your stomach expand while your chest and shoulders
move only slightly. Pause for a moment, then breathe out slowly. As you breathe out, allow your body to relax. Repeat at least 10 times, keeping your
breathing smooth and regular.

5) Control that damn brain of yours. I know its hard and you are the controler of your emotions and everything upstairs goes haywire some times. but if you can learn the art of visualisation then you can severly cut the chances of brining an attack on.

Trying to ignore or fight panic symptoms is likely to make them worse. It is important to acknowledge that you are beginning to experience a panic
attack and try to avoid tensing up.

At this point, it is often helpful to talk to yourself about what you are experiencing, statements such as, “I’m having another panic attack”, “I’ve coped with this before”, “It will pass”, “I can deal with this situation”.

During a panic attack most people focus on the physical symptoms such as the pounding heart, dizziness, sweating and so on. This only increases
anxiety, releases more adrenalin and worsens the physical symptoms. The first step in breaking this vicious circle is to examine the thoughts you associate with these symptoms and to challenge them by
looking at them in a realistic way. For example:

“I’m having a heart attack.”

I’ve felt like this before and it wasn’t a heart attack.

“I can’t cope.”

This has happened before and I can cope with it.

“What will others think of me.”

Most people will not even notice.

“Oh no, here it comes again.”

Now I understand what’s happening I can deal with it.

“I can’t stand these feelings.”

I don’t like these feelings but they will pass.

you will be suprise that you can change to these thought pattens around in an instant, and you will notic small changes turn into bigger ones over time.

these things have helped me...and i am sure that if you just try one of these it will make all the difference.

nomorepanic
22-10-07, 21:12
Thanks for that

Have you read this page on here as well..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=firststeps