PDA

View Full Version : Lump at the top of tonsil

PennyLane85
08-06-20, 18:47
Hello everyone,

I really hope someone can help or offer me some reassurance as I am so depressed since finding a pea sized lump sitting at the top of my left tonsil.

I had discomfit whilst swallowing about a week ago and that has since eased off however yesterday I shone my phone torch in my mouth to see where the discomfort had come from and saw this lump above my tonsil.

All I can think about is cancer and I am literally falling apart.

I emailed the doctor the picture and he agreed that it looked ‘’different to the other side but could be swelling’ and now to give it a couple of weeks to see if it goes...scarily he said if I develop any other symptoms to let him know straight away! Well this has sent me down that horrible deep dark path of anxiety wondering what he is thinking could develop and what it is!!

I am so scared 😟

neuroticcat
09-06-20, 02:09
I have a lump like that too. It looks like a smaller tonsil on top of the actual tonsil. I first discovered it in 2017 I think. Since then, I have been to dentistA, urgent care once for a sore throat and an actual ENT for what I thought it was throat cancer 😅 and none of the doctors mentioned anything about that lump.In fact, my ENT told me that one should not look in his/her own throat unless he/she is a doctor.

PennyLane85
09-06-20, 09:26
Thank you so much for replying.
I hate going down this dark tunnel after ‘discovering’ something. I just want to feel normal and react normal to things like everybody else!

WorriedOlive
11-06-20, 14:15
I have this at the top of my right tonsil, I can always feel it in my throat and it’s bigger than the left. Discovered it about 4 years ago and got referred to the ENT. I remember sitting in the waiting room shaking with fear that I had throat cancer. By the time I got into see him I was a nervous wreck and he took a look and said ‘why are you worried about cancer?’ my tonsil is just lumpy and it’s been that way ever since. That’s good news the doctor is keeping an eye on you, and like me it’s most likely nothing to worry about x