PDA

View Full Version : Blood streaked phylem pregnant

ems1981
15-06-20, 03:27
I've had a cough for 3 weeks, really chesty..It seems to be improving but for the past 2 days I've coughed up phylem and it's been streaked with blood. I'm really worried about this and as soon as I saw the blood I went to A&E to get checked. They took some bloods and did a chest x-ray and it all came back clear but I'm still having the blood in the phylem when I cough. What could be causing this? It's definitely coming from my lungs because the blood is mixed in with the phylem.. I've also made the mistake of googling and lung cancer can be missed on a chest x-ray 😥 I'm 8 weeks pregnant and worrying sick..

AntsyVee
15-06-20, 05:19
One time when I had a really bad case of the flu, I had so much phlegm in the my throat, and I was hacking so much, that I actually made my sinuses and throat bleed. I was coughing up the blood in the phlegm, but it wasn't coming from my lungs, it was dripping down from sinuses and throat.

Since everything came back clear, you need to be treating the symptoms. Lots of fluids, bed rest. Did the doc say if you could take something like muscinex or nasal spray if needed?

WiseMonkey
15-06-20, 08:43
Hi, have had this in the past. After an infection the inflamed areas make the tiny blood vessels more vulnerable to bleeding. Then they heal but not completely and therefore breakdown again when you cough. It will clear up given time, saline nasal spray should help.

Congrats on your pregnancy, my daughter is 35 weeks today... very exciting :)

ems1981
16-06-20, 13:49
Thanks for the comments.

The hospital gave me some antibiotics which I've taken. The cough is getting better so we will see how I go. It's just really strange - it's not as if it's a bad cough, I've had worse previously and not had the bleeding 😭

AntsyVee
16-06-20, 17:40
It's not really the "quality" of the cough, it's the "quantity." All of that straining in infected areas can cause bleeding.