PDA

View Full Version : actual high blood pressure or false positive?

devo343
16-06-20, 17:22
so last night i did one of those blood pressure tests with one of those automatic blood pressure monitor things. i check and its 126/81 and im thinking that cant be right im young and moderately healthy so im sitting in bed worrying about it for abit go to sleep wake up today its in the back of my mind.i do it again today and its 147/83 and im just sitting there like is this legit or is the thing screwing up.i would go to a doctor and get a actual test done but i can't atm due to the virus and if i did go to the emergency room thats atleast 1000$. i think it may be just the machine screwing up and im just getting worked up over nothing or it could be infact legit. tho it seems odd that it jumps that high so quickly. i do drink coffee ive heard that can influence blood pressure. can you guys give me some help. because im kinda panicking right now

im 18 M 5 feet 5 inches healthy weight so it seems unlikely that i am developing this

venusbluejeans
16-06-20, 18:12
Anxiety can be a cause of high blood pressure, so that would probably about normal for someone with anxiety who keeps taking their BP ( I am no expert)

My advice.... stop taking your blood pressure

devo343
16-06-20, 19:02
so your saying that its prob higher due to me worrying about it and if i stopped worrying about it would prob go back down to a healthy level?

NotDeadYet
16-06-20, 19:05
so your saying that its prob higher due to me worrying about it and if i stopped worrying about it would prob go back down to a healthy level?

Devo343,
Absolutely. My BP is higher when anxious. Also, your first reading of 126/81 is a non-issue. Sure, it's considered "high" by the American Heart Association but one reading is not an indicator of high blood pressure. Take a few deep breaths and move this worry from you as it is nothing to worry about at all.

Best Wishes

venusbluejeans
16-06-20, 19:10

Exactly that

devo343
16-06-20, 19:12
ok last year{last time i took it} it was 117/79 which is perfect so maybe it was just high that day and will go back to that or similar once i stop worrying about it

venusbluejeans
16-06-20, 19:17
ok last year{last time i took it} it was 117/79 which is perfect so maybe it was just high that day and will go back to that or similar once i stop worrying about it

yep exactly that....Have you ever heard of white coat syndrome? that works on the same principle

White coat hypertension (WHT), more commonly known as white coat syndrome, is a phenomenon in which people exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, although they do not exhibit it in other settings.

In this case, instead of the clinical setting it is when you sit and take your blood pressure at home... both cases because you have anxiety about it.

devo343
16-06-20, 19:31
no i haven't

Fishmanpa
16-06-20, 19:50
The bottom line is its a non-issue and easily explained by an anxious mindset and physiology.

Positive thoughts