PDA

View Full Version : Taking 1.5mg lorazepam for the first time.

Jamie8318
16-06-20, 19:31
Hi I was prescribed 1mg lorazepam up to 3 x a day. I was previously on diazepam only 4mg for over a year and a half. I've read that lorazepam is a lot stronger than diazepam and since I was on such a low dose of diazepam. Now I take 1mg lorazepam a day but it's not helping much I dont understand its supposed to be stronger. So I'm planning to take another 0.5mg tonight will it knock me out?

panic_down_under
16-06-20, 23:53
Hi I was prescribed 1mg lorazepam up to 3 x a day. I was previously on diazepam only 4mg for over a year and a half. I've read that lorazepam is a lot stronger than diazepam and since I was on such a low dose of diazepam. Now I take 1mg lorazepam a day but it's not helping much I dont understand its supposed to be stronger. So I'm planning to take another 0.5mg tonight will it knock me out?

1mg lorazepam is about equal to 8mg diazepam so, at least in theory you're on a much higher dose. In practice it might not work that way. One thing to be aware of is that lorazepam may not be active for as long as diazepam. Taking an extra 0.5mg is unlikely to knock you out.

What is the reason for the change? Diazepam is the better benzodiazepine (BZD) if needed daily as tolerance is slower to develop with the longer half-life BZDs.

Also, are BZDs the only anxiety med you are talking? If so, have you tried an antidepressant?