PDA

View Full Version : Medication for HA?

WorriedOlive
18-06-20, 07:18
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone can advise on if medication helps with there health anxiety. I have been prescribed Amitripytline for my constant health worried but haven’t taken any yet (I’m always really scared of taking medication). Would this be likely the help? I’m at my wits end at the moment with health anxiety. I’m waking up every morning in a state of panic and spending hours and hours googling. My worries since lockdown have ranged from Bowel cancer, to breast cancer, to kidney failure and now to a diabetes due to tingling in my hands and feet. I’m worried I’ll never enjoy my life as I’m trapped in my stupid mind.

Any advice would be appreciated x

AntsyVee
18-06-20, 07:32
You should ask this in the medication forum. You’ll get much better advice there.

Redsmum
18-06-20, 08:36
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone can advise on if medication helps with there health anxiety. I have been prescribed Amitripytline for my constant health worried but haven’t taken any yet (I’m always really scared of taking medication). Would this be likely the help? I’m at my wits end at the moment with health anxiety. I’m waking up every morning in a state of panic and spending hours and hours googling. My worries since lockdown have ranged from Bowel cancer, to breast cancer, to kidney failure and now to a diabetes due to tingling in my hands and feet. I’m worried I’ll never enjoy my life as I’m trapped in my stupid mind.

Any advice would be appreciated x

I’ve always found citalopram to be very beneficial for taking your mind of all things health related which is exactly the reason i am 6 days into a new course of it. I’m deep into the black hole of health anxiety at the moment & my mind refuses to think of anything other than my throat which is what its always about😥 i really hope they start to kick in soon, from past experience usually about day 10 i think. Health anxiety certainly messes with your head & its all so illogical & i know that but it doesn’t stop me ruining every day worrying. Sorry i don’t know anything about Amitriptyline, but if you have been prescribed it i would definitely give it a try. Take care.

WorriedOlive
18-06-20, 09:48
Thank you so much for your reply. That’s good to hear that a form of medication has been helpful to you for HA, when you’re in the black hole of worries it’s hard to imagine anything making them go away so I will try what I have been prescribed.

I’m so sorry you’re also going through this horrible worry cycle. At least we’re not alone, hopefully we will feel better soon.

Take care x

Pamplemousse
18-06-20, 10:57
I’ve always found citalopram to be very beneficial for taking your mind of all things health related which is exactly the reason i am 6 days into a new course of it.

I'd add it doesn't work for everyone: I've been on 30mg of it for several years now and it hasn't helped my health anxiety at all.

pav1984
18-06-20, 11:00
I'm on sertraline and I find that helps. Takes a couple of weeks to kick in but assists with the anxiety. You still have to put in the work for your anxiety but the best way I can describe it is it is like having someone spotting you when doing weights. You still have to lift but some of the weight is taken off if that makes sense.

WorriedOlive
18-06-20, 11:16
I'm on sertraline and I find that helps. Takes a couple of weeks to kick in but assists with the anxiety. You still have to put in the work for your anxiety but the best way I can describe it is it is like having someone spotting you when doing weights. You still have to lift but some of the weight is taken off if that makes sense.

That’s a really way of looking at it, thank you. I’ve just finished a round of 10 CBT sessions and it hasn’t really helped me, so desperately trying to find something which may ease things slightly while I try and figure out what I can try next. x