PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Groin Lymph Nodes

ChickenWhisper124
19-06-20, 11:33
Hello everyone, first time here! For the past month or so, I've noticed I've had a lump in my left (ypur right) side of above my groin, I believe it's called in the inguinal nodes, and it wasn't too big, maybe about a small bean shaped, I'm a skinny 130lb 25 y/o male and I could notice it when I leaned back a bit, I would see a bump rise up and stick out but only leaning back, and as you can imagine I'm sure, I panicked, I suffer from anxiety and I immediately worried thinking cancer or tumor, and what do you know? I make the common mistake of googling it and yeah it can POSSIBLY be cancer so I worry, and I end up going to the doctor and he feels it out and confirms it is a swollen inglinial node and tells me to take doxycycline hydrate for a week and what do you know, the size does go down, now the bump doesn't show up at all no matter which way I lean, but I can still feel it in there if I press in with my two fingers, I did read that cancerous nodes wouldn't go down with antibiotics so that KIND OF alleviates me but for some reason I still feel a bit restless about it since it's still there, and I'm starting to think I feel it on the opposite side too but my issue is I don't remember so well because I only focused on the one once bad side. Now here's the other thing, I've also had this sort of ignored athletes foot for over a month and I see that's a potential cause on the list, and now I'm hoping so badly that it's that so I can relax but I'm focusing now on treating this foot issue. I'm just really worried the doctor didn't seem so worried but I feel I should go back even though I've seen that "cancerous nodes wouldn't go down with antibiotics" thing. It's only on my groin area by the way nowhere else. Thank you so much!

NotDeadYet
19-06-20, 15:34
ChickenWhisper124,

Welcome to the forum. Lymph node anxiety is horrible because it can create the most intense spiral. You have some really great indicators that you can use to ground yourself in reality and pull yourself out of your current spiral.

tells me to take doxycycline hydrate for a week and what do you know, the size does go down

I did read that cancerous nodes wouldn't go down with antibiotics

I've also had this sort of ignored athletes foot for over a month

It's only on my groin area by the way nowhere else

All of these statements indicate that this lymph node is not cancer. Lymphoma or malignant lymph nodes do not go down after taking antibiotics. They continue to grow and tend to grow quite rapidly. Additionally, you have a direct cause and effect with your athletes foot.

You can get out of your spiral through challenging your anxious thoughts by repeating the four truths I've listed above. While you do this, take deep breaths and practice some mindfulness. This is how you can "jump start" your brain and get it out of this cycle.

Best Wishes.