PDA

View Full Version : Think my thumb is infected - scared I'll get sepsis

HopeI'mWrong:P
24-06-20, 00:39
What the title says really. I cut my thumb 2 and a half weeks ago, and it was quite a deep slice (happened when I broke a thick glass while washing up). It was pouring with blood (sorry) more than any cut I've ever had. I wondered if it needed stitched but the online advice said probably not if it stops bleeding within 10 minutes, which it did. I rinsed it under water, but it hurt so much to do that, that I probably only rinsed it for about 20 seconds. I have kept it covered every day since and have changed the plaster at least once per day. It was looking ok, but today when I took the plaster off, I saw that it has turned red around the site of the cut. I just changed the plaster again (as it got wet) and the redness looks even darker.

I'm really worried. I am going to call the pharmacy/ GP surgery tomorrow (don't know which is best for this?) but it's 12:35am so I have to wait another 8 hours. I'm afraid that I'm going to develop sepsis in that time.

Am I overracting? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fishmanpa
24-06-20, 01:43
Am I overracting?

Absolutely!

Positive thoughts

HopeI'mWrong:P
24-06-20, 02:05
Thank you.

Evizza
28-06-20, 17:18
How is your thumb now?

tan235
29-06-20, 06:16
Redness or inflammation is good, it's the bodies response to healing, so you want the redness, if it were infected, it would really hurt, and there would be pus - however in saying that there is also a natural liquid that comes from wounds as well that you can misinterpret as pus ... take a photo....Sepsis doesn't happen that fast, you'd get cellulitis first, which I've had, - you wont get sepsis.... it's just natural healing by the sounds of it, except it to take 1 and a half weeks for a large cut.

tan235
29-06-20, 06:20
expect sorry not except