PDA

View Full Version : Shielding from CV19 but been asked back to work where people don't care about CV19

LittleMissSleepy
25-06-20, 14:53
Really concerned we've had less than 48 hours to get our minds and stuff together eg Covid safe for my OH to go out to work again.
We are both shielding from CV19 and neither have been out since mid March 2020. Relied on home deliveries and not seen anyone else. We have both been working from home. He's also my part time carer.

My stress has been through the roof since pre-lockdown in UK due to my poor physical health, with several panic attacks a week during the night for me (he doesn't know despite me shaking next to him for up to half an hour each time).

The anxiety is made worse because the 'office' space he is going to has a lot of younger people who just don't care about CV19, social distancing or wearing of face coverings.
I am not really ready for this return to work, I thought it would be another month or more away.

Anyone else in a similar situation ? Anxious about going out or going to work after a long lockdown ?

Pamplemousse
25-06-20, 15:58
Yes, me for one. I still feel restrictions have been lifted too quickly.

As for employment - I'm self-employed and was offered work (it was due to start next week) but declined to do so, but luckily most of those around me are my age (mid-50s) or older so will be careful. I am hoping I can hold out until September, by which time there will be virtually no money in the company piggy bank.

LittleMissSleepy
08-07-20, 15:54
Agreed Pamplemousse, it does feel too soon despite the CV19 numbers falling. We are working for ourselves also and similar age bracket and still need to see clients from time to time.
After much changing of schedules, the original people have put the project on hold so the trip was postponed.
In the meantime it has meant being more prepared to go out there and other jobs becoming available.

Exactly the money won't last forever (with no help from the Govt.) hence the need to get back out there and find work and that has caused a lot of friction and extra stress.

Today is the first visit out the house and being amongst others for my OH since mid March.
So my anxiety is building again. Had another PA last night.
He's being careful and limited contact as much as possible (own transport) but I'm still on edge as a lapse in concentration is quite likely.
My physical ailments mean I'm unable to help at the moment, eg I would be going around doing deep cleaning etc but cannot.

Lencoboy
08-07-20, 16:28
Really concerned we've had less than 48 hours to get our minds and stuff together eg Covid safe for my OH to go out to work again.
We are both shielding from CV19 and neither have been out since mid March 2020. Relied on home deliveries and not seen anyone else. We have both been working from home. He's also my part time carer.

My stress has been through the roof since pre-lockdown in UK due to my poor physical health, with several panic attacks a week during the night for me (he doesn't know despite me shaking next to him for up to half an hour each time).

The anxiety is made worse because the 'office' space he is going to has a lot of younger people who just don't care about CV19, social distancing or wearing of face coverings.
I am not really ready for this return to work, I thought it would be another month or more away.

Anyone else in a similar situation ? Anxious about going out or going to work after a long lockdown ?

I totally understand your concerns, but why single out younger people as not caring about CV, social distancing, etc, when I have also witnessed several older people who have appeared virtually oblivious to social distancing rules and the like. And I say that as a (very nearly) 43-year-old!!

Also, we all have to bite the bullet and leave our safe cages at some point, as long as we follow the guidelines, of course.

And it's the ultimate responsibility of your employers to ensure that your workplace is as COVID-safe as possible, and to ensure your fellow colleagues stick to the rules, or there could be serious consequences.

Scass
08-07-20, 16:37
Your work should be understanding about your concerns & if you’ve been working from home & can still continue to do so then they should consider the option. If you look on the NHS website it gives advice about who should be doing what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntsyVee
08-07-20, 18:03
All of us teachers are feeling this way as well. You are not alone. I don't know what will happen, but you're not the only one concerned.