PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 02:35
Fishman65 and I have decided to start a gardening thread for pics, tips and other green thumb discussion.

Here's some pics of my cacti that bloomed this year:

MyNameIsTerry
27-06-20, 05:03
Great idea for a thread! I love walking around nurseries looking at plants.

I like your cacti, Vee. We've had them in the past but never had flowers like that. I have considering making up one of those terrariums with succulents as a present for my mum in the past. She has a few. I saw some nice bottle ones a few months back before the lockdown. One was sideways on a wooden stand and it looked like a ship in a bottle style with sections cut out along the top.

For her birthday I got her a dwarf cherry, Kojo-no-mai. So beautiful and unlike most cherry trees it grows outwards as well as upwards. I will have to post a pic.

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 05:56
Well, remember, I can grow those cacti because the winters are so warm down here. We only get snow and frost up in the mountains.

Do you all bring your succulents and tropical plants indoors for the winters?

yes, post pics!

Noivous
27-06-20, 14:52
Fishman65 and I have decided to start a gardening thread for pics, tips and other green thumb discussion.

Who do you think you're fooling? Cacti my Asplenium Scolopendrium! They're a cover for your pot plants! 😆

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 17:19
Who do you think you're fooling? Cacti my Asplenium Scolopendrium! They're a cover for your pot plants! 

It's legal in CA, N. We don't have to grow it in our backyard anymore. Get with the times :P

Noivous
27-06-20, 18:05
Don't you mean get with the high times?

You can buy cacti to but you're still growing it.

I got you pegged for a purist.

Noivous
27-06-20, 18:06
Actually a buddy of mine went out to California and is growing it by the acre he's making a fortune.

Noivous
27-06-20, 18:07
Of course he's stoned out of his mind 24/7 but that's the price we pay 😜

Noivous
27-06-20, 18:13
It's legal in CA, N. We don't have to grow it in our backyard anymore. Get with the times :P

Pot is legal in California now... that explains sooo much.😁

fishman65
27-06-20, 19:21

5105These look lovely Vee well done!! And in all the years my Mum grew cacti, not one of them flowered. As you say it must be your climate. My own memories from childhood concerning cacti are painful ones, some have such lethal spines don't they.

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 19:59
These look lovely Vee well done!! And in all the years my Mum grew cacti, not one of them flowered. As you say it must be your climate. My own memories from childhood concerning cacti are painful ones, some have such lethal spines don't they.

LOL Yes, out here we often use the phrase "hug a cactus" to mean something painful or uncomfortable. One thing I love about socal is that you can grow tropical plants, cacti and succulents all year long.

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 20:01
Don't you mean get with the high times?

You can buy cacti to but you're still growing it.

I got you pegged for a purist.

I'm not a purist, N. You'd know that if you paid a little more attention :P

An no, I don't smoke pot. It makes me paranoid.

fishman65
27-06-20, 21:17
OK you'll have to either lay down or turn your device sideways as I can't seem to get images upright. I've never had this problem on Gardener's World forum, yet strangely they're fine when posted via PM.

AntsyVee
27-06-20, 21:24
Wow, your yard is beautiful, fishman! Thanks for sharing! It looks like pictures you'd see in a travel magazine to go to some quaint little English bed and breakfast!

So what happens during your winter there? How much do you have to put inside? Is most everything an annual that has to be replanted every year or are they perennials that have a dormant period?

I couldn't get my pics vertical either. And they were just showing up as blank boxes on PM. I wonder with all the updates if something got messed up.

fishman65
27-06-20, 23:15
Aw thank you Vee, you are too kind but its really not that good. There isn't a lot I have to put in the greenhouse because I tend to grow plants that are fully hardy and able to withstand low temperatures. And the tender plants that I do grow are annuals such a cosmos. Though I think you can get perennial cosmos too which coming from Mexico would need very mild winters.

I like to grow most plants from seed and the greenhouse has some tomato plants, cucumbers and chillies. I have quite a few perennials and a pond that gets frogs breeding in it. I always try to garden with wildlife in mind, so lots of food for pollinators and potential host plants for butterflies and moths to lay their eggs and produce caterpillars. I've got nest boxes for robins and blue tits ( that's a bird before you ask!!) and I made nesting sites for solitary bees.

I've got one succulent on our kitchen windowsill that stays inside all year though people can grow some species here :)

Noivous
27-06-20, 23:20
I'm not a purist, N. You'd know that if you paid a little more attention :P

An no, I don't smoke pot. It makes me paranoid.

Maybe you're just boring me.😴

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 02:14
Aw thank you Vee, you are too kind but its really not that good. There isn't a lot I have to put in the greenhouse because I tend to grow plants that are fully hardy and able to withstand low temperatures. And the tender plants that I do grow are annuals such a cosmos. Though I think you can get perennial cosmos too which coming from Mexico would need very mild winters.

I like to grow most plants from seed and the greenhouse has some tomato plants, cucumbers and chillies. I have quite a few perennials and a pond that gets frogs breeding in it. I always try to garden with wildlife in mind, so lots of food for pollinators and potential host plants for butterflies and moths to lay their eggs and produce caterpillars. I've got nest boxes for robins and blue tits ( that's a bird before you ask!!) and I made nesting sites for solitary bees.

I've got one succulent on our kitchen windowsill that stays inside all year though people can grow some species here :)

Wow, you have a greenhouse too? That is so cool. At the local botanical garden I go to their greenhouse in the winter to see all the orchids that they grow and bloom. Hardly anyone has greenhouses here unless they grow orchids.

I'm in the process of redoing the landscaping in the backyard right now (I moved a few months ago). When I get it all done, I will show you pictures. I have a lot of perennials and flowering succulents that the butterflies and bees like, but as for the birds, I can only put the feeders in the front yard as cats go in the backyard.

I have a few tropical plants that live in the kitchen window box all year, like a Persian Carpet Flower (edithcolea) that I've had growing for three years. It's only made one flower though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems very happy and has grown like a weed, but still no other flowers. I also have a hybrid succulent that makes flowers that eats bugs.5113

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 02:15
Maybe you're just boring me.

I didn't know it was my mission in life to entertain you, N :p You don't like gardening?

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-20, 04:34
Well, remember, I can grow those cacti because the winters are so warm down here. We only get snow and frost up in the mountains.

Do you all bring your succulents and tropical plants indoors for the winters?

yes, post pics!

We keep our succulents inside. They do get sold in outdoor sections at garden centres but our frosts would kill them.

We've got a few in a small glass jar I got as a gift for my mum plus an arrangement put together from a few smaller ones we picked up in reduced to clear sales which grew much bigger. We also have two Christmas cactus which produce lovely long flowers but some years they struggle when it's a mild winter and don't quite produce them. They sprout leaves through the rest of the year though.

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 04:50
Yes, here the Christmas cacti become enormous. My old neighbor has one that runs across two trellises on her patio

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-20, 05:02
Blimey! (Said just you :winks:) Ours are in small pots. The flowers must be enormous on your neighbour's. I didn't know that got that big. They must be a pretty sight.

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 05:17
I will have to ask her for some pics so I can show you guys.

Lolalee1
28-06-20, 10:09

This is all I can grow Agaves and Yukka’s.I have several varieties of weeds.:D

Noivous
28-06-20, 12:52
You know I have a theory about the lawn. The longer you wait to mow it the better it looks when you finally do. if I mowed it every week no one would even bat an eye but if I let it get 2 feet tall then mow it everyone says wow that looks great!

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 18:49

I love Agaves. I have several. They grow their whole lives, some live as long as humans out in the high desert, and then go out with a bang, blooming right before they die. Plus, they're where tequila comes from ;)

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 18:51
You know I have a theory about the lawn. The longer you wait to mow it the better it looks when you finally do. if I mowed it every week no one would even bat an eye but if I let it get 2 feet tall then mow it everyone says wow that looks great!

LMAO I see why the Mrs. keeps you around, N.

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 18:54

This is from my local botanical garden that I visit all the time. It's my inspiration...

fishman65
28-06-20, 20:02
Wow, you have a greenhouse too? That is so cool. At the local botanical garden I go to their greenhouse in the winter to see all the orchids that they grow and bloom. Hardly anyone has greenhouses here unless they grow orchids.

I'm in the process of redoing the landscaping in the backyard right now (I moved a few months ago). When I get it all done, I will show you pictures. I have a lot of perennials and flowering succulents that the butterflies and bees like, but as for the birds, I can only put the feeders in the front yard as cats go in the backyard.

I have a few tropical plants that live in the kitchen window box all year, like a Persian Carpet Flower (edithcolea) that I've had growing for three years. It's only made one flower though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems very happy and has grown like a weed, but still no other flowers. I also have a hybrid succulent that makes flowers that eats bugs.5113This is a very strange looking plant Vee, is it the Persian Carpet flower? I'm not so knowledgeable on tropical plants, though if it's not producing flowers, try giving it a feed with high potassium. If its producing lots of leaves its probably getting lots of nitrogen and will keep doing that at the expense of flowers. Check what conditions the plant likes i.e sun or shade etc.

fishman65
28-06-20, 20:26

This is all I can grow Agaves and Yukka’s.I have several varieties of weeds.:DCrikey Lola, is that your garden? It looks as big as a national park!!

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-20, 22:16
LMAO I see why the Mrs. keeps you around, N.

Oh, I didn't realise he was talking about lady gardens :blush:

Fishmanpa
28-06-20, 22:25

My wife wants a yucca plant! She's from S America and turned me on to yucca (root)... yucca fries, yucca bread, yucca in soups :) The plant/flower is beautiful and can survive and thrive in our climate.

Positive thought

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 22:34
This is a very strange looking plant Vee, is it the Persian Carpet flower? I'm not so knowledgeable on tropical plants, though if it's not producing flowers, try giving it a feed with high potassium. If its producing lots of leaves its probably getting lots of nitrogen and will keep doing that at the expense of flowers. Check what conditions the plant likes i.e sun or shade etc.

That one with the pic is the one who's flowers eat bugs. The bugs fly into the flower and get stuck, and then the flower closes back up and the plant absorbs nutrients from the bug, I guess. That's not the one I'm having trouble with--it flowers all the time.

I'm having trouble with the Persian Carpet flower. I will try the high potassium. It likes filtered direct light and warm climate, which is why it stays in my kitchen box window.

AntsyVee
28-06-20, 22:35
My wife wants a yucca plant! She's from S America and turned me on to yucca (root)... yucca fries, yucca bread, yucca in soups :) The plant/flower is beautiful and can survive and thrive in our climate.

Positive thought

Yucca is very good to eat! Especially Peruvian style. Does your wife also like nopales?

Lolalee1
29-06-20, 00:58

Positive thought

I have a lot of Yukka’s and Agave’s some are huge they grow very quick in North QLD.
I have tried Yukka fries in Mexico along with nopoles.:yesyes:

AntsyVee
29-06-20, 03:18
Yummmmm!

fishman65
30-06-20, 16:42
Baby Aquilegias pricked out today, baby clematis 'Sunset' potted on. Hedge bindweed pulled out, the weed to beat all weeds. Comfrey cut back to encourage a second flowering.

AntsyVee
30-06-20, 16:46
Nice. I'm putting in a bougainvilla along my fence today. I told you I was redoing my landscaping, right?

fishman65
30-06-20, 19:05
You did say Vee, how is it coming along? I just googled your plant...should give you some nice colour?

pulisa
30-06-20, 19:32
This thread is certainly the antidote to Vaccine Wars..:D

Fishmanpa
30-06-20, 20:22
Does your wife also like nopales?

I don't think she's ever mentioned them/that. I'll have to ask her. I know we've never had it. Her homemade empanadas are to die for as well as her cazuela and ceviche. She really is a marvelous cook. Its good to be the "Papi" in more ways than one! :winks:

But when it comes to certain things like smoking, grilling and things like Italian or traditional American, I'm the cook. In fact, just yesterday my son and his partner visited and I smoked two racks of ribs for 9 hours. It was 'melt in your mouth fall off the bone' good! (I do my own rub too) :yesyes: I did my garlic roasted red potatoes and grilled corn on the cob too.

Positive thoughts and now I'm hungry!

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-20, 21:49
Baby Aquilegias pricked out today, baby clematis 'Sunset' potted on. Hedge bindweed pulled out, the weed to beat all weeds. Comfrey cut back to encourage a second flowering.

An old building yard turned to grassland behind my GF's house gets the dreaded Japanese Knotweed.

I remember one year they had problems with it Trentham Gardens.

I had the pleasure of a load of stick grass recently. My gloves might as well have been fly paper.

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-20, 21:50

It gets two green thumbs from me!

AntsyVee
30-06-20, 22:38
You did say Vee, how is it coming along? I just googled your plant...should give you some nice colour?

So I put them in this morning. Yes, I have two varieties. A pink one and a orangey/yellow one. Everyone says that they are hard to get going, because their roots are really sensitive, but once established, they do well. So I'm hoping I got them in okay without disturbing anything.

AntsyVee
30-06-20, 22:39

LOL :yesyes:

AntsyVee
30-06-20, 22:45
I don't think she's ever mentioned them/that. I'll have to ask her. I know we've never had it. Her homemade empanadas are to die for as well as her cazuela and ceviche. She really is a marvelous cook. Its good to be the "Papi" in more ways than one! :winks:

But when it comes to certain things like smoking, grilling and things like Italian or traditional American, I'm the cook. In fact, just yesterday my son and his partner visited and I smoked two racks of ribs for 9 hours. It was 'melt in your mouth fall off the bone' good! (I do my own rub too) :yesyes: I did my garlic roasted red potatoes and grilled corn on the cob too.

Positive thoughts and now I'm hungry!

Omg... Now I want Chilean! I love empanadas and cazuela! Does she make the pebre to dip the empanadas in?

Nice! Yes, I'm also a Grill Queen ;)

Fishmanpa
30-06-20, 23:10
Does she make the pebre to dip the empanadas in?

No, but she makes kind of a paste/dip that has green pepper, red onion, ginger, garlic, cumin, cilantro and other spices that's similar. We use it for dipping and to season meats before freezing as well.

Positive thoughts

WiseMonkey
30-06-20, 23:24

We have a bill in debate at parliament at present, the PM is for it. Could be a referendum at election time in Sept, makes sense as medicinal cannibus is legal here in NZ.

The only thing I have growing in my veggie garden at present is spinach, it's Winter here.

Lolalee1
30-06-20, 23:37
Nice. I'm putting in a bougainvilla along my fence today. I told you I was redoing my landscaping, right?

Bouganvillea is growing wild along the neighbours fence I was trimming it back and holy hell the spikes on it hurt,the colour of it is lovely tho.
They also have Mango trees and avocados and huge yellow passionfruit which they share with me.

Lolalee1
30-06-20, 23:42
This is the colours :D I have plenty of Aloe Vera if anyone wants some.

FMP I was on Gumtree and one of the Yukka’s I Have was selling for $350 :scared15:

fishman65
01-07-20, 00:04
An old building yard turned to grassland behind my GF's house gets the dreaded Japanese Knotweed.

I remember one year they had problems with it Trentham Gardens.

I had the pleasure of a load of stick grass recently. My gloves might as well have been fly paper.You're dead right about the Japanese Knotweed Terry. This is the problem when us humans introduce new species into a foreign ecosystem. For example the JK will have insects back in Japan that likely use the plant as a host for their larvae. Also it will have various fungi and diseases that help to keep it in check.

But here in Europe it has no such natural restraints and thus colonises huge areas very quickly. However we are not blameless because the pioneers took Purple Loosestrife to the US. Here it's fine, I've got some in my pond and its well behaved but in some American states it has totally clogged up waterways. Ecosystems evolve over very long periods and human activity plays a part in their disruption.

AntsyVee
01-07-20, 00:05
Gorgeous, Lola. Where in Oz do you live again? I have a feeling that you and I are in a similar if not the same agricultural zone.

fishman65
01-07-20, 00:15
Vee, have you ever grown chilli plants? I've got two in the GH and have never grown them before so was looking for advice. Anyway bedtime for me folks.

AntsyVee
01-07-20, 00:28
I have but it's been awhile. What kind of chillis?

MyNameIsTerry
01-07-20, 04:23
Blimey, Lola! Those are huge! A yukka a couple of feet high is likely £10+ so something like that would very very expensive over here.

Fishman, my GF has been growing chillies for years. Perhaps between us all we can film in some gaps? She has told me she finds them mostly easy enough to grow. I know she has grown ones like Scotch Bonnet, one called reaper something, Trinidad Scorpion, etc. She makes them up into jams for her, some neighbours and people at work. Her next door neighbour is a chef so he's give her some tips on favouring with them.

MyNameIsTerry
01-07-20, 04:31
You're dead right about the Japanese Knotweed Terry. This is the problem when us humans introduce new species into a foreign ecosystem. For example the JK will have insects back in Japan that likely use the plant as a host for their larvae. Also it will have various fungi and diseases that help to keep it in check.

But here in Europe it has no such natural restraints and thus colonises huge areas very quickly. However we are not blameless because the pioneers took Purple Loosestrife to the US. Here it's fine, I've got some in my pond and its well behaved but in some American states it has totally clogged up waterways. Ecosystems evolve over very long periods and human activity plays a part in their disruption.

Completely agree with you, Mother Nature has a lot more understanding & experience than we do.

Look at the mess grey squirrels have caused to our red squirrel population. Not too far from my GF's place the animal rights activists broke into a mink farm and released them many years ago. Whilst I disagree with the fur trade releasing them caused some many problems that they had to be eradicated. No natural predators and they are very adept at killing the local wildlife.

I think our Aussie friends will be telling us the follies of importing toads https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/frog/t157186.gif

There was an article about how seagull populations were creating so much effluent they were introducing natural predators. I can't remember where in the south it was.

Lolalee1
01-07-20, 10:40
Gorgeous, Lola. Where in Oz do you live again? I have a feeling that you and I are in a similar if not the same agricultural zone.

I live in Queensland not far from the Whitsunday Islands,the climate is beautiful.The northern parts are best known for sugar,mangoes,avocados and tropical fruits and plants.:yesyes:rainforests meet the beaches,other than the humidity it’s a top spot.

AntsyVee
01-07-20, 17:17
Wow! That toad is huge!!

So according to this site, Lola, I think you're in the 7b category?

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-australia-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

I'm in a 10a/10b zone. According to this, that's like Adelaide climate.

WiredIncorrectly
01-07-20, 17:18
I completely dug up my front garden. Dug up all the weeds and had to remove some bushes. A month later weeds are back. I have no idea what to do except cover with black garden sheeting and leave it until next spring.

AntsyVee
01-07-20, 17:48
I completely dug up my front garden. Dug up all the weeds and had to remove some bushes. A month later weeds are back. I have no idea what to do except cover with black garden sheeting and leave it until next spring.

I'm giving you California advice (because I've never lived in the UK)...but what you'd usually want to do is spray the lawn with weed killer. If you don't want to use chemicals, or pay the high prices for them, you can make some great weed killer yourself. You need a gallon of vinegar, a tablespoon of dish soap, and a tablespoon of salt. Shake it all up and mix it together, and you're all set. Apply it in the sun during the middle of the day and give it 24 hours to kill. Then take a bush tool and clear the dead weeds. After that, you want to take a tiller and till the soil, just the top six inches. Wait till it will rain, and spread your grass seed and topsoil right before it's going to rain. There is nothing like a good soaking rain to get a lawn started.

If you don't want to do this now, you can leave the garden sheeting on until you're ready to do this in the spring.

fishman65
01-07-20, 18:51
I live in Queensland not far from the Whitsunday Islands,the climate is beautiful.The northern parts are best known for sugar,mangoes,avocados and tropical fruits and plants.:yesyes:rainforests meet the beaches,other than the humidity it’s a top spot.What a gorgeous place to live Lola, do you get sal****er crocs around there?

MyNameIsTerry
01-07-20, 22:03
What a gorgeous place to live Lola, do you get sal****er crocs around there?

Phill2 lives next to a beach where they get those rude sounding crocodiles :ohmy::blush: Taking his dog out on the beach brings different hazards to ours but then when you live in a country that's trying to kill you in so many ways they must be used to it.

fishman65
01-07-20, 23:28
Yea I did wonder what was so offensive about salt water too Terry. Doesn't Australia have the top 6 most poisonous snakes in the world? Then you have the funnel web spider of course.

The chillies seem to be doing ok and apparently like it hot so the GH is ideal for that especially in mid summer. Having bought them from a charity table, they had no labels and the attending lady didn't know as they had been donated. So they could be mild or one of those 'reaper' or 'ghost' varieties that will take my head clean off :unsure:

AntsyVee
01-07-20, 23:34
Yea I did wonder what was so offensive about salt water too Terry. Doesn't Australia have the top 6 most poisonous snakes in the world? Then you have the funnel web spider of course.

The chillies seem to be doing ok and apparently like it hot so the GH is ideal for that especially in mid summer. Having bought them from a charity table, they had no labels and the attending lady didn't know as they had been donated. So they could be mild or one of those 'reaper' or 'ghost' varieties that will take my head clean off :unsure:

My dad grows his own chillis because he makes his own hot sauce. The reaper and ghost varieties are super rare and expensive, so I think you will be okay.

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-20, 04:35

The dreaded dunny spiders. I suppose when you check under your porch and in your basement for deadly tai pans as opposed to the odd rat or mouse like us it's just life. The worst snakes, the box jelly fish and some horned snails and ringed octopus things too I think. I remember watching one of those 10 most deadly creatures and most, and the worst, were in Oz. Funny thing though is that camels kill the most.

I know my GF grows her chillies mostly in the greenhouse but I've seen one in her kitchen window too. When she was throwing them all out last year they were about 3-4ft tall.

I wouldn't worry since you will be able to check them by looking them up on the net once they take off.

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-20, 04:35
I live in Queensland not far from the Whitsunday Islands,the climate is beautiful.The northern parts are best known for sugar,mangoes,avocados and tropical fruits and plants.:yesyes:rainforests meet the beaches,other than the humidity it’s a top spot.

That toad looks like he's got a right hump on!

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-20, 04:50

You'll always get weeds. Like Vee says you can spray some killer on. Fresh ones will always come though.

Something I recently found is that on a larger area with dense weeds like grass seed one of those push-pull weeders works much better than a Dutch hoe. It churns the soil very easily and then works as a rake.

You could sheet it and weight it down with bricks. Or bury it with a couple of inches of soil. Groundsheeting will stop the weeds getting through mostly.

I guess it depends on what your plans are for it. If you're just going to tip of load if stones on it or a lawn burying the sheet is fine. But if you depth for planting and allowing roots to spread that needs more thought.

Lolalee1
02-07-20, 07:24
What a gorgeous place to live Lola, do you get sal****er crocs around there?

Yes it is a lovely part of the world.:yesyes:
Plenty of salt water and freshwater crocs up here and down where Phill lives,I am trying to find a pic that my cousin sent of a croc eating a cow.

Lolalee1
02-07-20, 07:30
That toad looks like he's got a right hump on!

They must hump all the time,literally thousands of them at a place called The Goose Ponds,don’t even think crocs would eat em the ugly good for nothing MFs:curse:

AntsyVee
02-07-20, 17:25
I love the border ideas on this website. So beautiful...

https://savvygardening.com/landscape-borders/

fishman65
02-07-20, 20:43
The dreaded dunny spiders. I suppose when you check under your porch and in your basement for deadly tai pans as opposed to the odd rat or mouse like us it's just life. The worst snakes, the box jelly fish and some horned snails and ringed octopus things too I think. I remember watching one of those 10 most deadly creatures and most, and the worst, were in Oz. Funny thing though is that camels kill the most.

I know my GF grows her chillies mostly in the greenhouse but I've seen one in her kitchen window too. When she was throwing them all out last year they were about 3-4ft tall.

I wouldn't worry since you will be able to check them by looking them up on the net once they take off.But the Ozzy people can escape all the deadly snakes and spiders by taking a dip in the sea. Right?

AntsyVee
02-07-20, 20:50
But the Ozzy people can escape all the deadly snakes and spiders by taking a dip in the sea. Right?

They have sharks there. Everything in Oz is designed to kill you LOL

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-20, 22:27
But the Ozzy people can escape all the deadly snakes and spiders by taking a dip in the sea. Right?

Except for the salt water crocs, sharks (I thought all of them were eaten by the sharks so said a famous beer ad? :winks:), box jelly fish, blue ringed wotsit snail or octopus, etc. Or you could just get hit by a surfboard I guess https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sport/t31118.gif

Knowing my luck I would avoid all that and get bitten on a boat by a spider :doh:https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/animal/m0207.gif Or hit on the head by Phill's drone :doh:

fishman65
02-07-20, 22:48
The great white, tiger and bull sharks are the most dangerous. But if you want to see a great white get it's butt kicked, watch it go head to head with a killer whale.

Fishmanpa
02-07-20, 23:49
There was a post about growing hot peppers a couple pages back. I've grown red chili, jalapeno and habanero. All were wonderful but those habaneros were HOT! :emot-eek: I blended them and made a peanut butter/habanero sauce. It was amazing! (really hot... but amazing!)

Typically, the wife and I buy starter plants that and re-plant them in our little garden as opposed to starting from seeds. Typically some tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers (for me) and several herbs (cilantro, parsley, basil etc.). We've already harvested tomatoes, some hot peppers and herbs for cooking.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
03-07-20, 04:55
The great white, tiger and bull sharks are the most dangerous. But if you want to see a great white get it's butt kicked, watch it go head to head with a killer whale.

Clever & deadly. Don't mess with Free Willy :ohmy:

The Bull ones are those that can swim in salt and fresh water, aren't they?

We get some sharks off the West Coast. Don't they sometimes see Tigers?

ErinKC
04-07-20, 00:18
I have absolutely NO green thumb, but I finally tackled my small weed-overrun front garden. I pull out all of these weeds on my own, mulched, laid the stones, and then power-washed the brick and the sidewalk/steps. I'm pretty proud - and SORE.

5127 5128

AntsyVee
04-07-20, 00:43
Good for you, Erin! I gotta do that to couple bushes in my front yard. Are you volunteering? ;)

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-20, 04:41
Looks a good job, Erin. It's all well positioned too.

fishman65
04-07-20, 19:22
You've done a great job there Erin, how neat everyone's borders are.

AntsyVee
10-07-20, 22:23
Plumeria are blooming! Woo woo!

fishman65
12-07-20, 20:25
Gorgeous Vee, do they bloom often? Pricked out baby foxgloves before anxiety hit so well timed.

AntsyVee
12-07-20, 23:50
They bloom usually once a year in late spring or summer. Although some more religious gardeners who keep them potted and move their locations can do micro seasons with them and let them bloom twice a year. I think they're indigenous to Hawaii...at least, I know there's a lot of them in Hawaii. Their fragrance is one of my favorites!

Aren't foxgloves poisonous?

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-20, 04:55
They bloom usually once a year in late spring or summer. Although some more religious gardeners who keep them potted and move their locations can do micro seasons with them and let them bloom twice a year. I think they're indigenous to Hawaii...at least, I know there's a lot of them in Hawaii. Their fragrance is one of my favorites!

Aren't foxgloves poisonous?

Yeah (Digitalis) they tried to kill James Bond with it Casino Royale when she poisoned his glass. https://yoursmiles.org/psmile/military/p0238.gif

AntsyVee
13-07-20, 05:46
LOL Finally, something toxic that's not native to Australia ;)

Lolalee1
13-07-20, 10:29
LOL There are thousands of toxic plants and trees here in Aus :scared15:

AntsyVee
13-07-20, 18:00
LOL There are thousands of toxic plants and trees here in Aus :scared15:

LOL And how many of those did you sample, Lola? ;)

fishman65
13-07-20, 19:32
Aren't foxgloves poisonous?Oh yes very. The digitalin affects the heart but in tiny amounts is used medicinally like a number of plant toxins. I should probably wear gloves but have been growing them for a good few years now and I'm still here.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2015-mar/foxglove
Actually I just read through that link and it states that the berries are poisonous too. It doesn't produce berries.

AntsyVee
13-07-20, 19:50
Oh yes very. The digitalin affects the heart but in tiny amounts is used medicinally like a number of plant toxins. I should probably wear gloves but have been growing them for a good few years now and I'm still here.
https://www.poison.org/articles/2015-mar/foxglove
Actually I just read through that link and it states that the berries are poisonous too. It doesn't produce berries.

Do you ever worry about the pets chewing on them?

fishman65
13-07-20, 20:29
Do you ever worry about the pets chewing on them?I used to Vee but the foxgloves were never touched. Ditto other toxic plants like delphiniums and their cousin monkshood (aconitum). Not that I've grown the last one, its a really beautiful plant but very poisonous. Anyway I digress. I sometimes wonder if pets can detect toxins, especially dogs who's sense of smell is way way superior to ours. Grass they would chew to induce vomiting, but never toxic plants.

AntsyVee
13-07-20, 23:37
That's good to know. I've heard that aconitum is super toxic. I have a bush lillies and some calla lillies that I keep in an above ground, raised bed, because I'm paranoid of my cats chewing on them.

fishman65
14-07-20, 00:00
I think a lot of the lily family have crystal-like structures that act as a deterrent to herbivores. Or cats?! This species is very common in hedgerows here in the UK and has those properties https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

Yes aconitum has other names than monkshood. Wolfsbane and Leopardsbane being two, ancient hunters would coat their arrowheads with sap from the plant to poison their enemies. A gorgeous plant though https://www.seasonalgardening.co.uk/perennials/aconitum.asp

AntsyVee
14-07-20, 00:14
The problem is, cats aren’t herbivores; they’re obligate carnivores. So I’m always afraid they’ll take a chance on them. They chew on plants to induce vomiting of their hairballs.

Those are beautiful lilies.

Yes, here they call aconitum Wolfsbane. But I don’t think it grows in California. I have seen it in our Midwest and back East.

In California I think our worst plants are poison oak and oleander. People mistake the oleander for plumeria and wind up quite sick.

AntsyVee
14-07-20, 00:25
Here is a pic of my bush lily blooming last January

fishman65
14-07-20, 16:19
Brilliant, just typed out an extensive post and its disappeared into cyberspace :mad:

AntsyVee
23-07-20, 23:37
Anyone have a fountain in their yard? Advice? tips? Pics? I’m thinking of putting one in.

MyNameIsTerry
24-07-20, 04:46
What are you thinking of doing? Fish pond? They can look nice as centre pieces and you can going them up with lights if you want too.

We haven't got one but with have got a pond with a waterfall down from the next level of the garden. Being a history teacher you will appreciate what was there before when my dad bought the house - an Anderson shelter!

AntsyVee
24-07-20, 06:47
No, no, I don’t have the room for a fish pond. Just an above ground fountain because I enjoy the sound of running water.

I hate those old air raid shelters and tornado cellars! It’s a claustrophobic’s worst nightmare! :scared15:

WiredIncorrectly
24-07-20, 11:52
I dug up my front garden about 2 months ago. It looks like a state again. Weeds everywhere, weed bushes have grown back even though I pulled them out at the root. I've honestly had enough of this front garden. I took it down to bare soil and in 2 months its back to how it was before. That's not normal.

Lolalee1
24-07-20, 11:57
5146You can buy this already assembled,just get someone to hook up the water

AntsyVee
24-07-20, 17:26
I dug up my front garden about 2 months ago. It looks like a state again. Weeds everywhere, weed bushes have grown back even though I pulled them out at the root. I've honestly had enough of this front garden. I took it down to bare soil and in 2 months its back to how it was before. That's not normal.

Have you gotten a lot of rain?

The week I was in the UK, it rained 4 of the days I was there :S

AntsyVee
24-07-20, 17:28
5146You can buy this already assembled,just get someone to hook up the water

That's what I'm thinking. I saw some on overstock.com. Some of them don't even require a water hook up. You just fill the reservoir with the hose. I think that's probably the way to go.

fishman65
24-07-20, 21:07
No, no, I don’t have the room for a fish pond. Just an above ground fountain because I enjoy the sound of running water.Leave the tap running Vee? :D I should imagine your average rainfall there in SC is pretty low so the waterfall feature looks your best bet. I've got a wildlife pond that has a very large population of frogs, every spring there's more clumps of spawn. You can hear them croaking at night, quite a lovely sound.

AntsyVee
24-07-20, 22:08
Yeah, it rains about 35-40 days a year...compared to your like 300 a year LOL

WiredIncorrectly
24-07-20, 22:28
Yeah, it rains about 35-40 days a year...compared to your like 300 a year LOL

Still struggling to do the maths on it.

AntsyVee
24-07-20, 23:37
i'm sure you can look it up somewhere LOL

AntsyVee
01-08-20, 03:33
More plumeria!

MyNameIsTerry
01-08-20, 05:08
That's beautiful, Vee!

AntsyVee
01-08-20, 05:13
That's beautiful, Vee!

Thanks, Terry! :hugs:

Lolalee1
01-08-20, 12:40
This is one of many colours of frangipani in my neighbours garden

Vee have ave you chosen a water fountain yet?

AntsyVee
01-08-20, 18:59
OMG, that's gorgeous, Lola. Just looked it up: We call them plumeria, but frangipani and plumeria are the same thing.

No fountain yet. I'm waiting to see what goes on-sale at Costco this month, as they clear out summer things for the fall. I'm still working on the border for the landscape. I think I may have to hire someone to help me finish it, and then maybe someone to re-sod the yard, come fall. I like doing as much as I can myself, but let's face it; I'm a teacher, not a laborer. LOL

Lolalee1
02-08-20, 11:15
I have laid a few bricks in my day Vee:yesyes:shame can’t travel I would help ya out.
Also a pilot,shovel it up here and pilot it up over there.:roflmao:

AntsyVee
02-08-20, 20:07
One day, Lola...we will get together... Then, lookout world! Muahahahahaha!

fishman65
02-08-20, 21:32
I'm a bricklayer by trade :blush:

AntsyVee
02-08-20, 21:44
Damn, fishman. I hear you guys make bank!

fishman65
02-08-20, 23:32
I've never built a bank Vee, sorry. The building trade has always been very dependent on the state of the economy. When its booming you can make a pretty penny, but in a recession its one of the first to suffer. People only have houses/extensions/banks? built when they have lots of spare dosh :lac:

AntsyVee
03-08-20, 02:26
I guess that makes sense, fishman. Well, the masons out here seem to "make bank"...literally and figuratively. We're in a seller's market here. Not enough homes for people who want to buy, so lots of construction...well so far anyway. We'll see what covid does to that market in the end.

fishman65
10-09-21, 16:51
Just thought I'd reboot this thread as the subject of lavender and when it blooms came up in a thread in 'generalised anxiety'.

I made a not exactly correct assertion that lavender should have finished blooming by now. Which was a pretty stupid thing to say when I should know better that there are different varieties i.e French and English lavender. Additionally, the plant's location/soil type/drainage can all influence how it performs. For example, I can only really grow it successfully now in tubs up close to the back of the house, which faces south-west and is a sun trap. Ideal for lavender and I add sand to the compost in said tubs to improve drainage.

However, further down the garden, an ash tree around 15 years old has created increasing degrees of shade, along with the neighbour's two sycamores and a silver birch. If I planted lavender down there it would vanish within a couple of years, never mind flower. And competing with teasel, valerian, meadowsweet, purple loosestrife and red campion would make lavender struggle.

The secret is to know what a plant likes. I remember when we first moved here on 2nd November 1997, the following year I planted an azalea straight into the garden. We have a neutral to slightly alkaline loam, where azaleas need acid soil and it lasted a few months before dying. Of course, pots are the solution where you can create your own micro-conditions to suit each species. I'm sure by now, most people reading this will be asleep :D

Catkins
10-09-21, 18:32
Not at all!

I only have a yard but it's full of pots. I had lots of cherry tomatoes to pick when I got home, I was very excited!!

Tips on slugs are always welcomed by me - over the years I've tried lots of things, copper tape, wool, gravel, broken windscreen, nematodes, slug pellets, beer, coffee grounds and yet the burgers are still here.

fishman65
10-09-21, 19:53
Not at all!

I only have a yard but it's full of pots. I had lots of cherry tomatoes to pick when I got home, I was very excited!!

Tips on slugs are always welcomed by me - over the years I've tried lots of things, copper tape, wool, gravel, broken windscreen, nematodes, slug pellets, beer, coffee grounds and yet the burgers are still here.That sounds like a lovely yard then Catkins!! Pots really come into their own when we don't have a garden as such. I'm glad you have some tomatoes and when they ripen it feels like a validation of our gardening skills.

I've got some cherry ones, Koralik which are of Polish origin I think. Also Roma, a plum tomato.

Yes slugs and snails are a perennial problem Catkins, but I gave up trying to control them and instead learned to live with them, like we have with covid. Seriously though, there are certain plants that molluscs adore. Delphiniums and lupins are two. I used to grow both from seed, watched them mature over time until I thought they were safe to plant out in the garden. But the next morning, stalks. In fact with lupins not even a stalk left, they actively pursued the roots down into the earth.

There is one delphinium however that they don't like, delphinium requienii, a species delphinium from Corsica and Sardinia. It has waxy leaves that seems to put them off. Though with it being a species rather than hybrid delph, it only comes in one colour which is a ghostly pale pinkish/grey. They are fast growing and best treated as a biennial.

But one last word on slugs, what I've done before is sprinkle salt around tubs but making sure the salt doesn't contaminate the compost in the pots. That's always stopped them in my experience, but it's time consuming and a good rain of course will undo your work.

Catkins
11-09-21, 06:26
Thank you.

Slugs are the bain of my life. I'll make a note of that delphinium and maybe think about it for next year. Over recent years I've been trying to replace some of the annuals that I put in with perennials, some have worked, some not.

This year I've been using a plant food that my friend makes with fermented nettles. It hasn't done badly to be fair.

MyNameIsTerry
11-09-21, 06:38
You need some of these in your garden as they love munching on them:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4e5bf7180afba8306d1c21df1c89155d

We have a pond. Some years we get frogs and toads so they keep them in check.

NoraB
11-09-21, 07:06
I have a back yard. As yards go, it's quite a pleasant one. Most people in our street use their backyards as a massive bin, but I try to be creative with my small space..

Anyhoo, I'm trying to attract the birdies into my yard. I have put up bird boxes, fat balls, and planted a tree for them to perch in. I was hoping to attract the likes of robins, tits, and sparrows but so far I've been inundated with pigeons, jackdaws (ack-ack-ack-ack-ack) and crows the size of Wales!
Disheartened, I went out and bought a fake robin to try and attract real ones?
So far, no robins. Or any small birds. And the pigeons perch on his head to get at the fatball..:whistles:

Meanwhile, I went to my mate's house yesterday..

We sat in her newly built kitchen with the patio doors wide open and in those 2 hours, I saw two squirrels playing and one came right up the door to eat some bread. A cat from two doors down was curled up on the chair (snoozing) the entire time. I saw robins, bluetits, sparrows, blackbirds (mum and dad) and the birdsong was AMAZING!

And I saw one pigeon. ONE!

And I swear it's the same bugger who was perched on my fake robin!! :lac:

I get that these big birds need to eat as well but the pigeons round our way are hoooooge and they rip through my fat balls in one day! :ohmy: The smaller birds don't stand a chance..:weep:

Still, I am lucky enough to live a few hundred yards from woodland so I can get my bird-fix that way. :yesyes:

And occasionally, I see the deer that's in there too. :shades: (though the bugger only poses for pics when I only have my camera phone with me, and it panics if I zoom in - the phone, not the deer) the bugger's nowhere to be seen when I haul my camera bag out (and zoom lens) with me! #sodslaw

Catkins
11-09-21, 12:57
You need some of these in your garden as they love munching on them:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4e5bf7180afba8306d1c21df1c89155d

We have a pond. Some years we get frogs and toads so they keep them in check.

I would love a hedgehog in my yard!

pulisa
11-09-21, 14:31
My fox enjoys his daily dose of waitrose diced chicken, brie,chopped pear and blueberries. I also feed an army of pigeons at the crack of dawn and once they have buggered off I put food out for the small birds..

The fox just sunbathes most afternoons in full view..

AntsyVee
11-09-21, 17:43
What kind of fox is it?

pulisa
11-09-21, 17:59
A red fox but sshhh...He is my "secret"! My view is if I feed him he won't eat other poor creatures/birds but I'm probably wrong on this. He is looking pretty magnificent now!

AntsyVee
11-09-21, 18:11
Is he domesticated?

pulisa
11-09-21, 19:42
No he stays outside and is wary of me which is good because I don't want to encourage him too much and I don't want him to get too confident!

AntsyVee
11-09-21, 19:51
Ah, okay. I don't know much about foxes. We don't have many foxes here, and the ones that do live here, live up in the mountains.

Catkins
11-09-21, 20:34
Wow! A fox! I've had the odd toad, mouse and rat, but no fox.

pulisa
11-09-21, 20:43
I'm not quite sure why he chose my garden other than it used to be quite "untamed"...It's much neater now but he still visits every day!

We call him Francis..He's partial to a bit of organic salmon too!:D

Catkins
12-09-21, 16:31
I harvested more tomatoes today. They seem to be turning red at the same more this year than last.

AntsyVee
12-09-21, 18:57
I'm waiting for my lemon tree to produce!

fishman65
12-09-21, 19:18
Lovely to see everyone enjoying their gardens/yards and attracting wildlife which is a big bonus. We have a pond and a very large frog population as a result, lots of froglets too but sadly no hedgehogs. A lot of our neighbours have wood panel fences that close off a garden rather too well. Clearly not too well for frogs though. I wonder if the smell of dogs would put a hedgehog off. I do know we've not had mice since we first had a dog at this address.

NoraB
13-09-21, 06:15
Meanwhile, I went to my mate's house yesterday..

We sat in her newly built kitchen with the patio doors wide open and in those 2 hours, I saw two squirrels playing and one came right up the door to eat some bread.

I have an update!

We've lived in our house for the best part of ten years and in all that time I haven't seen a squirrel in our yard or anyone else's.

I really enjoyed watching those squirrels in my mate's back garden and I thought about them all that day and all through the night when I kept waking up feeling anxious so maybe you can imagine my surprise when the next morning my son shouted me into his room..

Mum! Come look! There's a squirrel in our yard!

By the time I got in there the squirrel was in next door's yard - sat on their rabbit hutch - so I filmed him on my phone to show my mate..

Coincidence? Nah. I'm going with synchronicity...:yesyes:

Catkins
22-09-21, 17:04
I think my tomatoes have got blight. Some of the branches have gone black and some of the green tomatoes have kind of gone squishy from the inside out. ☹

fishman65
22-09-21, 20:26
Oh no Catkins, are your tomatoes outside? I think they can be more prone to it if so. You can't do much with them, if its any comfort Monty Don had the same trouble.

Catkins
23-09-21, 05:07
Yes they're outside

I love Monty Don!

NoraB
23-09-21, 06:59
I think my tomatoes have got blight. Some of the branches have gone black and some of the green tomatoes have kind of gone squishy from the inside out. ☹

My husband's toms had the same problem. The lot went in the bin!

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-21, 07:26
The time is nearing for the end of the brown bins so all the jobs piling up are getting more urgent. Done the hedges over the last two weeks so I might get lucky there. Some tree lopping yet. Once the laviteria finishes flowering we have to cut it back as it's huge. Honestly, if you have a big space to fill quickly put one of these in as they grow very fast and cover a large area. In year two they are massive and such lovely flowers.

Fishman, have you even see a Red Eye rose? My mum loves roses so I often buy her a plant for birthdays, mother's day, Christmas or just to cheer her up. I got one of these for mothers day and so far it has produced flowers twice. The first a solitary one and recently a bunch on another stem. It's strange though as the buds don't seem to fully open. I know that sometimes happens if they are too early or late but this has done it at the normal times many roses flower.

Roses are great flowers. We can still be seeing the odd flower in winter.

Carnation
23-09-21, 09:47
I really love this thread and have no idea why I haven't posted here before because I seem to spend half my life in the garden. It's my therapy, my grounding, my peace haven, my exercise, my joy!
Pulisa I love it that you are feeding all creatures great and small on posh food, that did make me smile on reading.
We don't seem to get foxes near the coast but we get plenty of seagulls and pigeons I think are everywhere. Seagulls are huge and very striking when you get a rare occasion of one sitting still. I've been lucky with birds this year and was lucky to have nesting in all corners of the garden. Blackbirds, bluetits, and robins mainly.
As for my tomatoes catkins I failed miserably to produce a crop. So late in forming and then green for weeks on end. Chucked them on the last cold spell, they just weren't gonna make it. Same last year and the year before. I'm thinking they need to be grown in a greenhouse with this British iffy weather and that I haven't got.
Nora, I love squirrels, probably because they are so naughty. The last place we lived we had a walnut tree and I spent hours watching the squirrels collect their autumn harvest and bury in a secret place, lol.
Terry, I garden all year round. Always something doing.

Peterthegreatworrier
08-10-21, 02:31
Ooh, a fox?! So lucky! Some live nearby but they've never visited our garden unfortunately.
However, we do get another regular furry visitor...possums! (for our American friends, they're a bit like opposums, but cuter looking). They do make really spooky noises at night though, I used to think they were some creepy person XD)

Catkins
08-10-21, 09:08
I guess it's the time of year to start tidying up the back yard for winter. Already have got rid of a few dead perennials, but need to a bit more. Hoping for a dry day over the weekend (and some spare time) to do this.

Carnation
08-10-21, 13:07
Catkins, you are more likely to find that spare time for the garden if you couple it with grounding therapy.

Catkins
08-10-21, 14:40
Well we actually haven't got rain so I'm out in the yard now, although I'm currently sat on the bench with a cigarette and a decaf.

I think that's a very good idea Carnation, I will definitely do that!

Carnation
08-10-21, 17:39
That's my starting point catkins.

fishman65
09-10-21, 21:57
I so often find connecting with the garden is a way to escape from the sources of anxiety. OK it may not be for long, as the anxiety is only ever put on hold, at least for me anyway. I've managed to get nearly all the foxgloves in the ground, forget-me-nots relocated and delphinium requienii planted in tubs. So a sense of achievement. But gardens are never really complete, nature holds sway there and nature is transient, forever changing and shifting.

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-21, 07:20
Terry, I garden all year round. Always something doing.

That's true, Carnation. A lot of what I do is maintenance as my dad is finding it harder to these days. But there can be some planting and he's had me building some brick tiers, walls, etc.

My GF does a lot of growing with something in every season.

MyNameIsTerry
12-10-21, 07:25
I so often find connecting with the garden is a way to escape from the sources of anxiety. OK it may not be for long, as the anxiety is only ever put on hold, at least for me anyway. I've managed to get nearly all the foxgloves in the ground, forget-me-nots relocated and delphinium requienii planted in tubs. So a sense of achievement. But gardens are never really complete, nature holds sway there and nature is transient, forever changing and shifting.

I agree, fishman. I think the 'good 'ole honest toil' thing comes into play too. Something gets done, the exercise does your body good and you sleep better for it.

Coming from offices where one project just gets replaced with two more, I found the sense of achievement quite fleeting. But to grow or build something gives you something tangible that betters your environment.

The most satisfaction I ever felt was working weekends with my dad doing garden maintenance as a young lad. Slept like a baby.

NoraB
12-10-21, 07:59
Any keen gardeners here? Advice needed!

I have some Berberis hedging and for the first few years it was beautiful - especially this time of year. However, for the last few years it's been infested with Sawfly and there's literally no foliage on the bushes from about July. I wondered if anybody has ever had this issue and successfully eradicated the b'stards?

Carnation
12-10-21, 11:17
Yes Nora. Same thing happened to me this year.
I tried hosing the little blighters but of course they are still there but the hedge seems to have recovered a bit to what it was in August. I'm hoping the winter frost will eradicate them. I'm not keen on spraying any substance on the shrub and it seems to be ok on one side and most of the top anyway. First year it's happened.

Terry, I'm pleased you are managing getting in the garden because it is so rewarding on so many ways and I'm sure your dad will be grateful.

Fishman, your garden sounds like a dreamy cottage garden and must look a picture in the spring.
It would be so good to see pictures but I haven't the foggiest how to upload on here.

I've just planted my bulbs for next year's display. Mainly daffodils and tulips. I still have cosmos which should run to December. Hot Lips is a favourite of mine and the hydrangeas have turned a gorgeous deep red and they will hold that colour for a good couple of months.
This year I have a nice commune of birds. The usual blackbirds, sparrows, blue-tits, a very tame jenny wren and a robin that follows me around every time I dig. :)

Catkins
19-02-22, 11:09
Well I have succumbed and started fiddling in my back yard. Took a few dead plants out and got a few early growing weeds. Then started googling when to prune my my honeysuckle, clematis and buddlea. It says late winter/early spring. I guess I'll end up just randomly cutting it back like I do most years. I haven't killed it yet.

I'm a bit worried about one white geranium that I put in last year, the pot is very sheltered and when I took some of the dead stuff away the pot was really dry, I've watered it now but I hope it isn't too late.

fishman65
19-02-22, 19:20
The geranium's water requirements in winter are going to be low Catkins, so it should be ok. I've sown some tansy seeds and they're just coming through. Snowdrops in full bloom, crocuses starting to flower.

pulisa
20-02-22, 08:14
I've got various green leaves sprouting in my garden but I doubt whether they will turn out to be daffodils...Other than that the grass is growing so the guinea pigs will get to enjoy some fresh pickings in a few weeks time. I am hoping for minimal weed production this year as I truly hate gardening (sorry but just being honest). I long for paving and potted plants and minimal upkeep.

I am going to paint my new fencing this year though..in a nice bright colour to detract from everything else!:)

Carnation
20-02-22, 11:24
What colour have you decided on Pulisa?
I love the different coloured beach huts by the sea, maybe you could do a makeover on your shed to match your fence.

Fishman, my snowdrops are out in abundance, although a little late this year. Daffs and tulips growing but no buds yet. Crocuses only show their beautiful heads when a sunny day and all the primroses I planted last year have returned to show their amazing colours.
I have quite a few wallflowers (one of my favourites) just showing touches of colour. They are a good filler and backdrop. And I planted some red hot pokers last year, so hoping they have taken.

Catkins, honeysuckle another one of my favourites. My mum had one. She never pruned it at all. It was trained to form a higher boundary on one side of the fence. The smell was amazing.
Clematis I cut right back in the autumn and geraniums are a bit touch and go unless they are well established and of a size. They rarely survive in my pots.
I like lavender in pots and pansies are a good all-rounder.

I'm debating whether to have a hanging basket this year. That Easterly wind destroys every year.

Darksky
24-02-22, 20:53
I’ve had a seeding fit this year. Got loads on the go. How do,people keep the trays moist? I have a spray thingy but not sure it’s doing the job but I don’t want to drown them.
I’ve got cat mint seeds growing. I had them last year but the cat ruined the plants by chewing and rolling on them��

I bought a shed load of tête-à-tête daff bulbs last year and they are all out now. Beautiful.

Lolalee1
25-02-22, 10:30
I planted a Magnolia tree yesterday it was one of my mum’s favourite I just hope it doesn’t cark it like my Hibiscus did.
All the herbs are doing well surprisingly :D

Pamplemousse
25-02-22, 12:10
I bought a shed load of tête-à-tête daff bulbs last year and they are all out now. Beautiful.

Those particular daffs were Mrs. PM's favourite. Next year I shall plant some.

Carnation
25-02-22, 13:24
Darksy, I've got some seeds to be planted around now, if the wind will let me. Still got the remains of Eunice and her friends. As far as the tray thing, I use two. One perforated that sits slightly above the bottom one which is filled with about an inch thick of water. That way I can monitor how much they are consuming.

Lola, magnolia trees are so beautiful. I know nothing about them but have heard they take a while to establish.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-22, 13:35
We've got a big magnolia that dad put in many years ago. It's about 10ft high but would be much bigger if we didn't prune it yearly. They are lovely and the flowers are large.

Darksky
25-02-22, 13:51
I have a magnolia tree, they do indeed take several years to establish themselves, certainly to the point of flowering. Mr.D decided to prune it last year..now it's an odd shape :o

So, Carnation, how do you avoid soggy bottoms in the top tray? It's the first time I've done seeds and what I thought was a simple pastime that a fairly capable five year old could execute, it's obvious I'm out of my depth lol. I really want to get the cat mint going, my cat loved the plants last year.

Carnation
25-02-22, 15:04
Darksy you can buy top trays with either little feet or ledges that will sit in the bottom tray.
An alternative would be to sit your seed tray in a shallow tray of water and the soil will only take what is needed, then remove and put back into the sun. Too much sun can make the plant leggy so partial sun is better.

.Poppy.
25-02-22, 16:11
It sounds like you all have such lovely gardens.

I'm hoping to put in some raised beds this year in my backyard and grow some pollinator flowers and some veggies. But we'll see how successful I am! Last year I tried for peppers and tomatoes - the peppers were successful, but the tomatoes were not. But my mom always has a big garden and gets a lot of tomatoes and zucchini so she keeps me well supplied.

I have some really large Honeysuckle bushes in my backyard that were there when I bought the house. I think I'm allergic to them when they flower, and my dad keeps telling me I'll have to pull them when I put my fence up, but I'm going to keep as many as I can. The birds love them and they make a nice little forest for my dog to wander in. :)

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-22, 16:45
It sounds like you all have such lovely gardens.

I'm hoping to put in some raised beds this year in my backyard and grow some pollinator flowers and some veggies. But we'll see how successful I am! Last year I tried for peppers and tomatoes - the peppers were successful, but the tomatoes were not. But my mom always has a big garden and gets a lot of tomatoes and zucchini so she keeps me well supplied.

I have some really large Honeysuckle bushes in my backyard that were there when I bought the house. I think I'm allergic to them when they flower, and my dad keeps telling me I'll have to pull them when I put my fence up, but I'm going to keep as many as I can. The birds love them and they make a nice little forest for my dog to wander in. :)

I bet he loves that. Mindfulness for dogs wandering in the bushes.

Chillies seem pretty easy to grow. I think BlueIris grows some. My GF has been growing them for a few years to make into spreads for a work colleague who likes them volcanic!

Veg like carrots and potatoes are usually easy to grow.

Maybe you could string some things up the fence?

Darksky
25-02-22, 17:57
I absolutely love honeysuckle. We had a near forest of the stuff rambling through trees like a weed. The smell on July evenings was heavenly. Then one year for some unknown reason, it all died :(

Ive tried to grow chillies....and failed. These little knobs of green chilies started but they never progressed or reddened.

Always had an itch to have chickens ( well they are kept in the garden so its sort of gardening) But, well one word..cats.

Carnation
25-02-22, 18:08
I love honeysuckle too.
Poppy my tomatoes didn't do too well either, even Monty Don had a couple of bad years.
I'm enjoying seeing some flowers out already...

Catkins
25-02-22, 18:38
They're beautiful Carnation!

I wanted to get in the yard today, but it was a bit damp after a promising start.

Last year I had ordered loads of bedding plants already, but funds have prevented it this year. I'm hoping for decent plants in B&M, Home Bargains and Morrisons.

I might have to order some tomatoes though.

Carnation
25-02-22, 18:59
Thank you catkins x
Why not try your hand at some seeds. I always grow my cosmo from seed and a £3 packet will fill several pots.
Some seedlings reproduce, like love - in - the mist which look very pretty in a pot. You can't go wrong with bulbs either. Tulips, daffodils, narcissus, hyacinths, crocus.

Darksky
25-02-22, 23:01
Morrisons have some great plants and shrubs Catkins. Ok they are not huge specimens but they are healthy and at £2 a pop you can’t go wrong.
I bought quite a few last year, just slipped one in the trolley as you do. They are all growing well.

Lolalee1
26-02-22, 05:49
I love honeysuckle too.
Poppy my tomatoes didn't do too well either, even Monty Don had a couple of bad years.

Your flowers are lovely Carnation :Dthey remind me of my mum’s family property Cruden Park.xx

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 06:53
I love honeysuckle too.

Lovely flowers!

Not much growing in ours other than sone daffs and budding roses. The trees have had buds on them since early January with some before Christmas.

Eurysimum is nice. If you want something that seems to be in bloom all year I would recommend them.

Wish this stupid back would go so I could get in the garden. The storms have brought down a few branches and some sweep up is needed.

Carnation
26-02-22, 10:37
Lola, where I live used to be meadow land so I get a lot of free wild flowers. I also get a lot of long grain grass come the summer but the spring brings a wonderful display of bluebells and snowdrops.

Terry what is that plant you mentioned, sounds more like a health complaint, lol.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 10:47
Erysimum (always spell it incorrectly) but I'm not sure if the docs have a cream for it.

We had two but one died in year two. They grow bushy even in pots. The first pic is like we one that died, which was my favourite:

https://bethchatto.2dimg.com/1/erysimum-mutabile-5-4-17a_1a820b3781.jpg

This is the same colour as the one that's still going about 3 years on. It has flowers nearly all year even if only a few. It's out front in all weather:

https://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/d%20-%20g/images/erysimum_bowles_mauve_bloom_01.jpg

You would like them, Carnation. Delicate little flowers are really nice. They come in other colours but I like the rusty looking oranges and browns as they are unusual. Those colours would blend nicely with plants turned brown in autumn.

We usually have some Dianthus too.

Darksky
26-02-22, 11:29
Are they a type of wallflower Terry?

I love wallflowers…the scent takes me back to my childhood

Carnation
26-02-22, 12:56
They look like wallflowers to me, lol

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 14:30
Yep, you're right, they are. So many different varieties.

Darksky
26-02-22, 15:55
We used to grow the most beautiful phlox when I was a child. White with purple centres…you never see them now:(

Also while I’m in a nostalgic mood…the sweet Williams we grew had the most glorious scent. I bought a bunch couple of years ago and they literally had no smell at all!

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 16:33
You would see phlox in our garden. We have two. Really nice flowers but I was expecting to see butterflies on them and it's rare. The bees have a go at then at least.

Bees really love rubbing themselves through the bunches of small flowers. I quite like watching bees go about their work. Usually see the enormous queens looking for a home early in the year.

Carnation
26-02-22, 18:58
Just planted some sweet william Darksky :yesyes:
Terry, wallflowers I've got, I'll post a pic when in full bloom because they look amazing.

Fishmanpa
26-02-22, 23:11
I've been buying orchids for my wife for years. They're a challenging plant to nurture but we have a half a dozen that I've cared for for years. Here's a pic of the latest bloomer :)

FMP

Lolalee1
27-02-22, 01:33
Hi Carnation :)It sounds like you live in a lovely place with those wild flowers,I love native plants.

These were taken not not long before mum’s passing my uncle sent them,they are from my grandparents gardens.

Lolalee1
27-02-22, 01:36
Terry:)Those flowers have beautiful colours.
I do hope your back is on the mend xx

Lolalee1
27-02-22, 01:39
Hi :)FMP.My dad always gave mum orchids for Valentines Day instead of roses.They are still going strong.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-22, 09:34
Terry:)Those flowers have beautiful colours.
I do hope your back is on the mend xx

Thanks Lola :hugs: It was but I think I've pulled it doing something too soon as the last couple of days have been bad. Slowly improving again though so hopefully just a blip. Stupid backs! :biggrin:

I once came home from school to find my dad home early from work (landscape gardening so heavy manual work) slithering around on the living room floor. Now I know how crap sciatica can be. His was still worse though.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-22, 09:36
Hi Carnation :)It sounds like you live in a lovely place with those wild flowers,I love native plants.

These were taken not not long before mum’s passing my uncle sent them,they are from my grandparents gardens.

Your grandparents had a beautiful garden, Lola. Lovely varieties of colour and the arch way is amazing on that wall. I bet they spent a lot of time there.

Carnation
27-02-22, 12:08
Lola, that garden is stunning!

Darksky
27-02-22, 15:59
Beautiful garden Lola. I could spend a lot of time there, just sitting. We don’t spend enough time just sitting and taking in our surroundings.

Oh I wish I’d started Sweet Williams, Carnation. Is it too late? Have you grown them before and do they end up smelling llke they did back in the day?

My geraniums have sprouted!!!

Carnation
27-02-22, 18:09
My first time Darksky and I cheated by buying the plants. They are hardly off the ground at the moment so no it's not too late.
Congratulations on your geraniums!

I've been out in the garden today. Cutting the old geranium heads and planting love-in-the-mist in the meadow area.
The garden is not big but there's a lot in it.

fishman65
28-02-22, 21:25
What gorgeous pictures on here, clearly lots of green fingers on NMP.

I love wallflowers, they self seed in the tubs out the back. I've got 'Bowles Mauve' out the front right now Terry.

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-22, 07:05
Very nice variety, fishman. Does it flower pretty much all year like ours?

Not sure which ours were but the one that died looked like Caribbean Island. Monet's Moment is beautiful.

Carnation
01-03-22, 11:07
I bought a red-hot poker last year. It took well. Reminds me of my granny's garden. And I've been lucky with my agapanthas (not sure if that's the right spelling), it's flowered every year but now I've said that it probably won't. Lol.

fishman65
01-03-22, 14:10
Very nice variety, fishman. Does it flower pretty much all year like ours?

Not sure which ours were but the one that died looked like Caribbean Island. Monet's Moment is beautiful.Well its the first year I've had it Terry. It was sent as a young plant by a gardening forum friend. So I planted it in the autumn, I'm assuming it will flower for a long period. Before this I've just had the regular biennial wallflowers.

Lolalee1
03-03-22, 02:21
Hi Carnation :D what is a red hot poker?my mum had a lot of agapanthus of different colours

These are Billy Buttons and Kangaroo Paws they are Aussie natives xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-22, 06:41
Hi Carnation :D what is a red hot poker?

It's how we disposed of King Edward II. :ohmy:

We knew how to deal with disappointing leaders back then :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-22, 06:46
Hi Carnation :D what is a red hot poker?my mum had a lot of agapanthus of different colours

These are Billy Buttons and Kangaroo Paws they are Aussie natives xx

Nice and bushy :blush: I bet are a good fit for many other flowers. Would look good in a rockery.

Here's a red hot poker:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Kniphofia_Species_%287134114493%29.jpg

Lolalee1
03-03-22, 09:23
Wow!! what lovely colours.
The only red hot poker was the one I remember pop putting in the fire to singe his nightly nip of port.:D

Darksky
03-03-22, 10:17
They are stunning. We used to have them next to our Golden Rod….which is another plant I don’t see much of these days.

Carnation
03-03-22, 11:12
Terry beat me to it Lola :D
Love the names of the agapanthas. And pics are impressive!
Now I need to know what a Golden Rod is, lol :D
Yesterday I planted some aubretia. Lovely purple edging plant that will hopefully come back every year.
I'm hoping to try my hand at sowing directly in the ground this year :unsure: maybe I'll just use half the packet, just in case.

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-22, 12:52
Golden Rod looks nice.

Every year in Tesco they have a bag of seeds for wild flowers that look nice. I've wondered if a scattering of them would make a nice filler in?

Darksky
03-03-22, 17:50
Go for it Terry. I love wild flowers, they look so delicate and cottagey. Our local council have small plots of land that they throw wild seeds on every year. Poppies, cornflowers and others I don’t know the name of but the end result is beautiful.

fishman65
04-03-22, 13:37
Those red hot pokers look fantastic Terry. Is that your garden? I planted some primroses out yesterday, the wild ones with pastel yellow flowers. I think nature got it right first time.

MyNameIsTerry
04-03-22, 16:52
Nah, grabbed an image off Google to show Lola. We have had them many years ago.

I wish they could spread wild flowers along road sides. Since I do a lot of walking it's nice to see them appearing in the weeds to brighten things up. Sadly they will spray everything hence all you get is weed.

It's really nice to see councils putting flower pots around bus shelters or bins. I remember seeing how some countries cover their bus shelters in flowers to help bees.

Catkins
05-03-22, 07:05
In our town we have a group of community gardeners who have really worked hard to take places that look a bit awful and plant them. They have done an area at the entrance to the street behind our house, I've been lucky enough to be able to help them with it when I can.

They've also been planting daffodil bulbs all over the place, even on grass verges at the edge of the town. It's made such a lovely difference.

Carnation
05-03-22, 08:49
They do the same in my area catkins. I'll see if I can get a picture during the spring. Yellow verges of daffs are so uplifting. Wild flowers are quite a thing here. Lots of meadows and the council don't cut the grass until early summer so the bees get plenty of nectar.

Darksky
05-03-22, 22:46
Those red hot pokers look fantastic Terry. Is that your garden? I planted some primroses out yesterday, the wild ones with pastel yellow flowers. I think nature got it right first time.

Ooh yes, I love wild primroses. We are so lucky that they grow like weeds at our place. I saw them tentatively start blooming in January this year, which I thought was way early but I suppose our mild winter has confused nature in a lot of ways.
I’ve always said the primulas etc look really gaudy compared to the delicate lemon of the wild primmys.

Fishmanpa
15-03-22, 22:33
The latest bloomer! A beautiful mini-orchid :) And we have another mini that's budding. Pics to follow :)

FMP

Catkins
16-03-22, 06:13
Beautiful!

Lolalee1
16-03-22, 06:32
This a pic of native aussie orchids 5491

Carnation
16-03-22, 08:56
Those colours are amazing Lola

Lolalee1
16-03-22, 10:42
Hi Carnation :Dthank you for your kind replies xx

Here is some pics of my late mum’s family home.54925493

Carnation
16-03-22, 12:11
It looks gorgeous Lola and very well kept.
Did you take any of the plants for your own place?

Lolalee1
17-03-22, 04:09
Hi Carnation :DNo I didn’t,at my place in the tropics I couldn’t grow much,only yukka’s and succulents
I have a new place In Tasmania and the tenants are growing mostly vegetables and fruit.
My late grandparents place is open to the public.

Carnation
17-03-22, 09:57
I'm not surprised about your grandparents place, it's so lovely. A great setting for tea and cake! :)
I've just started to get into succulents, mainly for indoors with our chilly weather in the UK. Probably why my tomatoes take forever to ripe.

Lolalee1
18-03-22, 09:26
You should shallow fry green tomatoes they are yum. I often have them with a mixed lettuce leaves and basmati rice.

Carnation
18-03-22, 13:18
Wow, didn't know you could do that.

MyNameIsTerry
19-03-22, 07:07
That's really nice that people come to see their garden, Lola.

That happens over here too. You can apply to open your garden to the public. I think there used to be a book/guide. There was a TV programme about it. I'm sure Carnation remembers that.

We've got a lovely weeping cherry tree in our front garden. It's beautiful covered but the first wind and its all over the garden.

Lencoboy
19-03-22, 08:01
Yesterday I was out in our back garden cutting down a big bush that was mega overgrown and unsightly, but now that spot in the garden looks stacks bigger already, and shall be cutting down/ trimming further bushes/plants today that are dead or no longer wanted.

I felt a great sense of achievement after doing said jobs yesterday, especially considering I felt on a bit of a downer last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but since Thursday I've felt far more positive.

Lencoboy
19-03-22, 08:11
That's really nice that people come to see their garden, Lola.

That happens over here too. You can apply to open your garden to the public. I think there used to be a book/guide. There was a TV programme about it. I'm sure Carnation remembers that.

We've got a lovely weeping cherry tree in our front garden. It's beautiful covered but the first wind and its all over the garden.

Whilst on the subject of TV programmes about gardening (a la the BBC's 'Gardener's World'), I remember back in the 80s when I was a kid there was another TV programme about gardening (possibly Midlands based) that my mom also used to watch religiously whose theme tune (intro and outro) had a catchy riff played on a flute, that she used to gleefully whistle along to.

I can't for the life of me remember the actual name of that programme.

Carnation
19-03-22, 11:22
It was known as the 'yellow book' Terry. Gardens open to the public for charity. I think it's changed its title now.
The cherry tree sounds lovely Terry. Obviously not the fallen cherries. Bet you have to watch where you tread, those cherries will stain your shoes no end.

Can't help with the gardening programme Lencoboy. Maybe someone else will remember.

I picked up some more lupins today. Quite a bit is coming through in the garden now. The bluebells are beginning to show, daffs, tulips, hyacinths, peony shoots, wallflowers. The hydrangea is budding. :)

Lencoboy
19-03-22, 14:50
Can't help with the gardening programme Lencoboy. Maybe someone else will remember.

I think it could very well have been a West Midlands-specific regional programme, likely produced by either BBC Birmingham or ITV Central (formerly known as ATV pre-1982).

I think that programme may have been called either 'Gardening Time' or simply 'The Garden(ing) Programme', but can only vaguely remember it.

It was definitely one of a few programmes where I was ordered to shush while my mom was watching it (and no doubt a borefest for me at the time)!

Lencoboy
19-03-22, 20:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9O06ztEHo

Yeah, that's the tune matey!

Ta very much for that link, really nice visiting those distant times once again, even though I was under orders to button it for the duration of said programme, ditto BBC Gardener's World, and of course the news/weather forecast, though the latter's another story altogether.

It would be nice if there were actual episodes of the aforementioned programme on YouTube, if only for curiosity.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-22, 23:18
Today I decided to make a start on garden clear up since my back is a lot better. We have a ladder strapped to the wall running from our back door. I picked up the big hands leaf grabbers to find a little nest behind them on top of the ladder. One white egg in the nest. I reckon this will be a Robin since they will nest in teapots and buckets near houses. I hope I haven't scared her off.

I thought it was a built up pile of leaves at first.

Catkins
21-03-22, 06:52
How wonderful Terry!

I did some general tidying up in my little yard. I swept up all the dead stuff/soil from behind the pots. Cut back a clematis. I also bought 20 pansys from Morrisons when I went shopping. The roots weren't great on them, so I put them all in pots that are hung from the fence/shed/drainpipe. I'm hoping that because they're so fragile them being off the ground will give them a bit of a chance against the slugs.

Also noticed that some of our decking (which isn't to sit in, but raises the plant pots up a bit to give them a bit of height) has got a wood fungus thing going on. It's damaged some of the wood quite badly in places. Fingers crossed it lasts a bit longer.

Carnation
21-03-22, 10:37
Never underestimate a pansy catkins, they are one of the toughest plants for survival. Keep going in all weathers, even survive year to year. Same with clematis.
Your courtyard will be lovely and all your hard work and attentiveness will be there for you to admire.

Love your robin story Terry. I never knew they could nest in such places. Nice to hear you are pottering out in the garden too.

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-22, 16:24
Well this morning I could hear a bird singing very close to the back door so I think she must have returned. The end of the ladder where she has nested is only about a foot away from the back door.

Yes Carnation they are very versatile. My dad has seen one nest in a bucket turned on it's side on the floor when he was still working. You would think they wouldn't do that due to predators.

A few years back we had them nest in the bottom of a bucket on this ladder. Very sadly the gutter seal above broke and drown the poor chicks. We were very surprised they chose a bucket open to the elements.

We did buy a couple of roosting nests which we put in a tree near the house but we've never seen them used.

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-22, 02:44
I went out to feed the fish and throw some bread for the birds so I had a peak. I couldn't make it out at first and then I saw the red breast, made out the beak and the eyes. She was in the best. I went out a few times no more than a couple of feet away and she just stayed very still. So I threw some suet and mealworms on the garden which they seem to like. It might save her foraging so she can stay closer to the nest.

Carnation
24-03-22, 09:30
Aww, how lovely Terry :)
My tulips are starting to open now, spring is definitely present in the garden.

Fishmanpa
29-03-22, 01:45
The latest orchid to bloom. One I bought my wife last Valentine's Day :)

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-22, 07:39
I've been meaning to upload some pics of the cherry tree I bought my mum for Mother's Day in 2020. It was a lot smaller back then and its supposed to be a very slow growing variety:

Here is a pic of where our Robin is nesting on a ladder behind a pair of leaf collecting hands. I didn't want to get too close taking this in case I disturbed her but she was actually right behind me in a tree. Variety is Kojo-No-Mai:

Catkins
29-03-22, 21:34
How lovely Terry!

Today I was having a fight with some ferns. I've got a metal trough attached to the shed, it was originally lined with coir (not sure how you spell that) and over the last maybe 15 years the soil has compacted and incorporated the coir and it's been invaded by ferns, which actually looks really pretty in summer. Well anyway the other day I was looking at it and about 2 inches at the top of the trough was empty because it was compacted so much and I thought if I relined it again I could put some bedding plants in there.

What a palava! Could I empty out the trough, could I hell! All the roots were wrapped round the metal, when I tried pulling the soil out have the trough became unattached from the shed on one side. Then when I eventually managed to get the block of soil out of the trough I had to cut the fern roots with scissors to try and separate them.

Anyway after much toing and froing, I wired the trough back together, relined it, planted some of the (hopefully still alive) ferns back in it and topped it up with fresh soil.

Bit more of an epic than I intended, but fingers crossed for abundant ferns and whatever else I plant in there.

Catkins
16-04-22, 17:17
Definitely lost; a feverfew, a geranium and a heucera.

Planted; pansys, rudebeckia and lots of lobelia.

Now the war against slugs begins in ernest.

Carnation
16-04-22, 18:13
Slugs are slimy they make me cringe catkins.

Planted out my runner beans today.....

Darksky
16-04-22, 18:27
I hate slugs, but isn’t it funny how we don’t feel the same about snails?

How are you putting pictures up Mrs.C ? Instructions at 5 year old level please

fishman65
16-04-22, 19:30
I hate slugs, but isn’t it funny how we don’t feel the same about snails?

How are you putting pictures up Mrs.C ? Instructions at 5 year old level pleaseIf any of you guys have room for a pond, even just a very small one, go for it. Since we've had ours with the frogs moving in, we don't have nearly the amount of slugs we once did. I remember being out there with a torch, picking off tons of slugs munching the plants. Now a natural balance has been restored :)

Darksky
16-04-22, 20:17
I’d love a pond, Fish. We had one when I was little and we had a terrier that spent hours just sitting looking into the pond. We used to say he was ‘froggin’.

Always said I would like another, although MrD has never been that fussed…more work:D

fishman65
16-04-22, 22:21
Its a good investment for wildlife Darksky. Ours is only about 2 metres by 1.5 and about half a metre deep. Frogs use water primarily for breeding, they spend much of their lives on land. Providing an 'open' compost heap gives them a place to hibernate in winter. You could of course get toads or newts instead. Then there's the insect life including dragonflies that would breed in the pond.

I'll see if I can get a photo of ours, the marsh marigolds are looking good right now. I understand that fascination your terrier had, ponds are relaxing.

Carnation
16-04-22, 22:23
Darksy, click on the icon 3rd in from the right hand side. Once opened click on the computer icon, then search for files. Go into documents then click on your photos. Choose your photo then click on load file. :yesyes:

Darksky
16-04-22, 22:51

Good grief I’ve actually done it!

Carnation
17-04-22, 00:51
Well done Darksky :yesyes:

fishman65
17-04-22, 14:55

Good grief I’ve actually done it!That's a pretty flower Darksky.

Darksky
17-04-22, 15:23
Only one of my daffs. I took it to remember the type so I could get more next September. It’s really nice in real life, the only trouble with these double headed ones is that they can’t hold the weight of their heads up which is a shame.:weep:

fishman65
17-04-22, 18:01

Carnation
17-04-22, 19:52
I have the same problem with my double headed daffs Darksky. I later found by tying loose string around the base and leaves gives it extra support. Otherwise wire frames are the answer.
Fishman what are the white flowers?
This is close up picture of the Holly tree....

fishman65
17-04-22, 21:42
I bet the bees love that blossom Carnation!!

The white flowered plant is Honesty (Lunaria Annua). Behind is a lilac variation. They are a biennial and I wouldn't be without them, they self seed quite readily. The seeds are borne in papery discs often used in flower arranging. That's where it gets it's 'money plant' nickname.

Reddog
17-04-22, 22:05
Fishman-are the yellow flowers marsh marigold?

Carnation
18-04-22, 10:16
Yes fishman, I know honesty but never seen white ones before. Or seen such a beautiful display.
Honesty seeds....
My tree in blossom certainly does attract the bees, but I fear numbers are down this year. Normally there's a good dozen or so buzzing around on it. This year, maybe half that amount. :(

fishman65
18-04-22, 18:36
Fishman-are the yellow flowers marsh marigold?They are marsh marigolds yes Reddog :)

Carnation
18-05-22, 15:54
My first sweet william flower :)

fishman65
18-05-22, 18:19
Sweet Williams are gorgeous aren't they Carnation.

Carnation
18-05-22, 19:18
My first time fishman. Think it's going to be a regular from now on.