PDA

View Full Version : Third hand smoke from used books is that a thing to be concerned about causing cancer

BigOldDrive
29-06-20, 11:38
Just purchased some used books from ebay and they stink of smoke.

Am i exposing myself to third hand smoke if i read them? Is third hand smoke then seriously increasing my risk of smoking related cancers?

Appreciate any advice!

BlueIris
29-06-20, 11:49
Of course not, no, it smells nasty but the risk of harm is absolutely minimal.

BrokenGirl
29-06-20, 11:57
I think if third hand smoke from some books caused a risk then we'd all be in trouble!!
I wouldn't worry about it. Like BlueIris said, they won't smell nice but I don't think there is any risk of getting a smoke related cancer from it.
Perhaps leave the books beside an open window for a while to air them - might help with the smell.

ankietyjoe
29-06-20, 14:07
Only if you set them alight.

ErinKC
29-06-20, 18:32
Just purchased some used books from ebay and they stink of smoke.

Am i exposing myself to third hand smoke if i read them? Is third hand smoke then seriously increasing my risk of smoking related cancers?

Appreciate any advice!

I went down the third hand smoke rabbit hole years ago when my postpartum anxiety was really bad. We'd gotten a love seat from one of our neighbors years earlier and they smoked more than any people I have ever known. I would lay my baby on the seat all the time and I had spent years laying in it every single day. I flipped out for a while, but then I thought rationally. Yes, scientists do think 3rd hand smoke is a thing, but think reasonably - my dad, for example, grew up in a home where my grandmother smoked like a chimney for his entire childhood. He's nearly 70 and never had any health problems as a result. If the books smell, set them outside in the sun for a few hours. You'll be fine.