PDA

View Full Version : Citalapram and sleep

madamgg
23-10-07, 13:06
Hi all
Been on Citalapram for 12 days and suffered really badly with lack of sleep, literally cannot get to sleep at all. Now having to take stilnoct to help me. How long do side affects last for? I'm really really scared i'll never sleep naturally again, am exhausted.
Any advice would be welcome
thanks
x

daisykate
23-10-07, 13:10
hello there,
the first month of so i was like this on citalopram too, i just couldnt sleep at all, i just wanted to say it does pass, i was fine after about 4 weeks, hold on in there it def does get a lot better.
kate xx

madamgg
23-10-07, 13:20
hi kate
Thank you, 4 weeks though! How did you cope? Did you take anything?

daisykate
23-10-07, 13:24
hello again!
it was horrible i was exhausted and felt it would never end but it does, i didnt take anything at all, but i did use lavender oil a lot you know in the bath and a few drops on a tissue next to my pillow, many times i got fed up and came downstairs and read a book, dont beat yourself up about it, it does pass honestly.
kate xx

madamgg
23-10-07, 13:40
thanks kate the sensible part of my brain knows it will pass but at 4 am when i haven't slept at all feels like i never will again, it's like i've over ridden a switch in my mind and that's it no more sleep ever!
I hope it doesn't take 4 weeks!!

daisykate
23-10-07, 13:46
i know what you mean i can remember being so fed up with it and i even thought of coming off them i was so frustrated with it all, im so glad i didnt stop them now.
what dose are you on? i started out on 20mg and have recently increased to 30mg and feel a bit better again.
when i used to feel like you i came down stairs at 3 or 4 am read a book, watched the tv, made some tea etc and couldnt see an end to it.
my doctor said it does make your senses heighten at the start until it actually kicks in, once you are getting used to it it settles down, and it def does.
if you are worried you can always ring or go and see your gp for some reassurance, but after about 4 weeks i felt so much better.

have you tried a few drops of lavender? i found having a relaxing bath not a shower helped me sleep better too if thats any help.

kate xx

madamgg
23-10-07, 14:00
i started off on 20mg then after 4 days went down to 10 which was better but now going back up to 20 and feel quite buzzy, yet v sleepy if that makes sense.
i feel like i can just about cope with the tiredness but not the being awake all night, i feel like i'll go mad.
i'll try lavender but unfort i've got to keep popping those sleeping pills to get me through..

daisykate
23-10-07, 14:09
hello,
maybe changes in doses have upset your system a little bit?
if the doctor has given you sleeping tablets and they help you then take them, i just didnt want to take anything else at that time, i just waited it out and it did get better.
if you do have to get up in the night, dont kick your self for having too, i think i was telling myself i wasnt going to sleep so i talked myself into not doing if that makes any sense.
i just told myself in the end not to get upset about it, if im awake im awake so be it! i`ll make some tea and distract myself a little, read or even use the computer, i think i got so tired one morning i found i was actually awake at 6.45 my normal time for getting up, i knew then i was getting back to normal.
read some other posts on here about citalopram others have probably experienced it too.
kate xx