PDA

View Full Version : I Really Need Some Help Right Now

Gordon
23-10-07, 16:22
Hi All

I used to run a reggae music forum til last night.

Some members kept posting obscene things on it and also some members kept making personal attacks against me about my mental health and weight issues.

One even posted a horrendous message slagging off a dead friend of mine.

I banned a few of them and then lots of others started having a right go at me for banning them, quoting freedom of speech etc.

So I closed the whole thing down, deleted it, don't even have it backed up, good riddance.

However, I'm now getting people posting on the other main reggae forum slagging me off and calling me all sorts again. This is online bullying and I hate bullying, how can I stop it?

http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?t=24569

I don't know who runs the other board as I'm not a member there anymore (I had a disagreement with the owner as he wouldn't let me advertise my online radio show).

I'm sick of this, there's a witch hunt against me now and for what? An internet forum?

People are out to destroy me and I don't know why. All I did was ban some troublemakers.

What can I do? This is psychological bullying.

Gordon

Believe
23-10-07, 16:36
Gordon,

I am so very sorry that you have gone through this. I hope that you know they are just stupid people. Nobody that goes through what we do, would ever dare to say those things to you.

I know that internet bullying is against the law. What browser where you use, if it's msn contact them. They are cracking down on this.There has to be a listing on that site to contact the owners.

I have learned that people aren't happy unless they are causing trouble or hurting others.

I pray that you don't take this to your heart. You are a great caring person from all I have heard and seen of you.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Take Care
Believe

I Believe That We All Will Get Better !!!!!

Gryphoenix
23-10-07, 17:05
Internet culture. Ugh.

I often go to forums and I think that a lot of people will say what they normally won't say in real life. They've got a persona that will hide them, they can hide behind the screen and not see the real reactions of the people they've hurt. It's easy to insult someone if you don't see the result of your actions. Coupled with the fact that there are cruel people out there anyway...well...stuff like this can happen. And anyway it's a private forum that can set rules on 'free speech', and if you look on something like proboard's terms of service when you register there should be something that bans slander and stuff like that, I'm not sure but you could check it out.

Who cares what they think, anyway?

Hope you feel better.

Gordon
23-10-07, 17:16
It was Proboards I was using and I made it clear in a sticky pointing to the rules that there was to be no slander etc.

I've now been getting veiled threats in e-mails saying that I've "made a big mistake".

Someone else mailed me to say I'd "murdered freedom of speech".

FFS, it's ONLY a message board :(

I don't know who to contact as I deleted my board and I don't have anyone's IP address. Also the other board where people are slagging me off, is under new ownership and I don't know who runs it now.

Gordon

kazzie
23-10-07, 18:07
I have no advice at all Gordy but wanted to give you some of these:bighug: :bighug1: :bighug: :bighug1: :bighug:

Luv Kaz x x x

Gryphoenix
23-10-07, 23:44
Hmm, have you ever frequented on Proboards main forum? They might have a good help topic on something like this--they have lots of good topics on how to deal. Or they could help you. I'm not sure if they'll be that helpful honestly, but there might be a gem or two there.

This will be of bigger help: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/

They've got lots of topics on such things and if you search or leave a post I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Gordon
23-10-07, 23:49
Thanks Kazzie, appreciated XXX

I hope that the scumbags will enjoy their new board and I've opened a new one too and invited the good people and kept the address private.

Why can't people accept that rules are rules. Yes I had a bit of a rebellious streak not so long ago but I learned that it's better to play by the rules and behave. However I can't remember telling anyone to go "bleep" themselves and that they "had better watch their back" etc.........

In a perfect world the person who desecrated the memory of my dead mate would get a right slapping but that would just drag me down to their level right?

Gordon

Gordon
23-10-07, 23:50
Thanks Gryphoenix, that looks like a big help!

Appreciated!

Gordon

Gordon
24-10-07, 19:08
Hi All

I've started up a new board and 40 of my good online friends have joined already

I'm keeping it private invite only.

However, I've recieved around 20 replies from people that I regarded as online friends saying that they don't want to join a board run by me ever again. That really hurts.

I was only defending myself for crying out loud.

The members who were slagging me off have now joined another forum and are making all sorts of vitriolic attacks on me once more including one where they said that my recent health scare was probably just "friction burns from too much masturbation" - that is despicable and the lowest of the low. I really need to look at UK internet libel laws....

Gordon XX

Gordon
24-10-07, 22:25
I emailed this person asking him to desist.

He reposted my e-mail word for word on a forum and then repeated his attack about my health scare and taunted me.

People are all telling me to ignore it but we can't let people like this get away with it.

If I was a gay bloke and he was calling me stuff I could get him arrested, so why is it okay to attack mentally ill people?

Gordon

nomorepanic
24-10-07, 22:33
Gordon

I have my fair share of hassles on here and threats of court action, death, putting NMP out of action, protesting at any conference I attend etc etc.

I know how hard it is mate and can sympathise. I have no idea if I am being slagged off on other forums - never thought to look.

You must contact the people that run the bulletin board and complain - u can find that info on there somewhere

Other than that I have no ideas cos I have the same thing and in the end I ignore it cos we do not have the law easily on our side I am afraid.

If they allow a post like that to remain then they are seriously sad people as we remove anything like that from here.

Gordon
25-10-07, 00:01
I found the following tonight:

http://www.wiredsafety.org/gb/stalking/index.html

Mostly for stalking but covers threatening posts and stuff too.

http://www.internetrights.org.uk/factsheets.shtml?cmd%5B512%5D=i-512-6f36a31f3e6ae887cc96da954d4e19fc&x=53237

Good article on defamation.

Seems people DO have back up if attacked!

Gordon