PDA

View Full Version : Elective surgery during a pandemic and other proof I'm beating health anxiety!

ErinKC
03-07-20, 18:25
I've had health anxiety since my daughter was born just over 6 years ago. I've had up and downs with it and been in therapy for it for about 5 years. Two year ago I had a horrible flare up when I was diagnosed with a small umbilical hernia. I LOST it with the thought of needing surgery. It was my worst breakdown since the early days of my anxiety. The idea of having surgery was inconceivable to me at that stage. Thankfully, the hernia was small and the surgeon I saw said there was no need to repair it at this point.

Fast forward across those two years. I worked really hard on my anxiety with my therapist and I started law school, which was so self-actualizing for me and really helped me with my anxiety. Over this period I discovered that my fibroids had gotten large, where the cause of my hernia, and were causing a number of other symptoms I had been dealing with for a while. In mid-January, I was in such a good place anxiety-wise that I scheduled an abdominal hysterectomy for May when my law school exams were done.

Then, the pandemic. I've made it through the past 4 months without any major breakdowns. I cry in the shower sometimes when I think about my 6 year old finishing Kindergarten from home while my husband and I work and struggle to give her enough attention, I feel anxious about the unknown ahead of us... but mostly, I'm coping. I moved my surgery to July 8 to give more time for the virus to run its course and to be around to help my daughter finish her school year. Now, the date approached! Although I'm VERY nervous about it, I'm doing it.

ME - someone who has struggled with health anxiety for years - is opting to have a major surgery in the middle of a pandemic. I mean, this is unprecedented and I am feeling really proud of myself.

I support the point of this is that you CAN get through this. I know I'll struggle a bit post-op overthinking possible complications, but I'm ready to tackle that, too, and ready to live a pain-free live without this stupid uterus of mine hanging over my head.

Wish me luck!!!

Scass
03-07-20, 18:29
Ah Erin, I’m so fond of your posts and you. I wish you loads of luck and lots of speedy healing vibes xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErinKC
03-07-20, 18:58
Ah Erin, I’m so fond of your posts and you. I wish you loads of luck and lots of speedy healing vibes xx

Thank you so much, Scass! The feeling's mutual!