PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything in my brain going a million miles an hour?

WiredIncorrectly
06-07-20, 18:06
This is not a panic attack. I'm not panicked. But my head is going a million miles an hour. Like everything around me is rushing and my body is buzzing.

I was home alone, silent, everything was fine. Then my partner and son came back and she was talking to me really fast about everything she's done. Like narrating it. It was agitating me because this is when it all started. I ended up being snappy and saying "please just be quiet my head is about to improde". I explained to her what was going on and she then got defensive and moody with me saying "I've just got back in and you're speaking to me like that".

I said "Please, it's not that. My head. I can't focus on nothing. Sounds, light everything is all just rushing".

She kind of understood but I'm still left with this rushing feeling.

AntsyVee
06-07-20, 18:11
It's the hypomania. That's pretty normal for any manic-type state.

Pamplemousse
06-07-20, 18:20
If it's any comfort, I occasionally get like that too. Not very often - but it's bloody disturbing when it happens.

It will pass.

WiredIncorrectly
06-07-20, 18:22
It's the hypomania. That's pretty normal for any manic-type state.

I don't know. Seems to be calming down now I've focused on the forum. I've had to close the blinds and have the room silent.

WiredIncorrectly
06-07-20, 18:23
If it's any comfort, I occasionally get like that too. Not very often - but it's bloody disturbing when it happens.

It will pass.

Thanks pamplemousse. Yeah they're very disturbing. It's like going from 0 too 100 in a split second. In the past these would lead to panic attacks, but my anxiety is heaps better these days. You have AS if I recall?

AntsyVee
06-07-20, 19:11
I saw this. It might help you determine whether or not this is a symptom of the hypomania.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/what-bipolar-mania-really-feels-like-a-first-hand-account/

WiredIncorrectly
06-07-20, 20:35
I saw this. It might help you determine whether or not this is a symptom of the hypomania.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/what-bipolar-mania-really-feels-like-a-first-hand-account/

Thank you so much for sharing this. Everything he shared I can wholey relate too. The racing thoughts is exactly what I had. I am still in that state except the racing thoughts are a lot slower, but still racing. He said about "overlapping thoughts" all at once. That's exactly it. And the self confidence is spot on. It's happened twice that I can recall.

30 minutes ago ... I started chatting to a neighbor and was elated and over excited. He was showing me his drawings and I was speaking to him like he was a God and telling him how he can make so much money. And then I was explaining how I do games etc and if he wanted to draw me some characters - and how we can be rich from it. People here know I'm introverted most of the time and don't really like interaction with people. So I don't get it.

The other time was the other day. I had no idea what I was thinking but I donned a tracksuit, looked like I just rolled out of a bed. I put my camera around my neck and walked into every shop asking "are you on Google?", "Do you need a website?". I know there's ways to do this properly, but this wasn't it. It was like I was overly confident again. Everybody said no, and my son said "What's wrong with you I've never seen you do this before. It's not like you".

That article, he said ...

But of course I’m on a completely different wavelength than other people, so these encounters rarely turn out as planned.

That's exactly it Vee.

Now I'm confused though. When am I normal and when am I over the top, and does this mean I possibly have bipolar?

AntsyVee
06-07-20, 23:15
I think so, but I’m not qualified to diagnose you.

Do you like to read, James?

Pamplemousse
06-07-20, 23:33
Thanks pamplemousse. Yeah they're very disturbing. It's like going from 0 too 100 in a split second. In the past these would lead to panic attacks, but my anxiety is heaps better these days. You have AS if I recall?

Yes, I remember.

Heed Vee's advice, it is good. And when you get a chance it may pay you to discuss this with a professional.

AntsyVee
07-07-20, 01:14
TY, PM.

If you like reading, there is a good book called "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jemison. She's a bipolar psychology professor at UCLA and it talks about her experiences being bipolor and handling her career and helping others. It's a great read even if you're not bipolar.

pulisa
07-07-20, 08:28
It sounds as if you are experiencing some sensory overload too. Sometimes it can all get too much and you just need peace and quiet which should be respected by your family...if you explain it to them.

WiredIncorrectly
07-07-20, 12:36
I think so, but I’m not qualified to diagnose you.

Do you like to read, James?

Yes Vee. I read daily.

WiredIncorrectly
07-07-20, 12:39
It sounds as if you are experiencing some sensory overload too. Sometimes it can all get too much and you just need peace and quiet which should be respected by your family...if you explain it to them.

Thanks Pulisa. This is what I've always viewed them as. Florescent lights are a trigger for this too. That's why I find it hard to walk around supermarkets without sunglasses.

I'm going to have to discuss it with a professional; but there's little hope of that right now.

Pamplemousse
07-07-20, 14:06
I'm going to have to discuss it with a professional; but there's little hope of that right now.

Some time ago I had CBT in the form of online chat; do you think that would work for you if it was offered for what you may be dealing with?

pulisa
07-07-20, 14:16
Thanks Pulisa. This is what I've always viewed them as. Florescent lights are a trigger for this too. That's why I find it hard to walk around supermarkets without sunglasses.

Do you wear headphones, James? it can be a way to block out painful noise. Hyperacussis and synaesthesia can be issues too.

WiredIncorrectly
07-07-20, 14:43
Some time ago I had CBT in the form of online chat; do you think that would work for you if it was offered for what you may be dealing with?

I've done CBT in the past yes. I still do some of the techniques like the breathing exercises. But they don't seem to help with this.

WiredIncorrectly
07-07-20, 14:44
Do you wear headphones, James? it can be a way to block out painful noise. Hyperacussis and synaesthesia can be issues too.

I do yes. Putting them on with no sound blocks out a lot of the harshness. Ear muffs could be a good idea, the sound blocking ones. Good thinking batman :)

AntsyVee
07-07-20, 18:22
P has a good point. I also get overstimulated sometimes, especially if it's been a crazy day at work. I like to lie in bed with all the lights off, the white noise machine on, and a cold cloth over my eyes/forehead.

Did you see that book I recommended?

WiredIncorrectly
08-07-20, 14:06
P has a good point. I also get overstimulated sometimes, especially if it's been a crazy day at work. I like to lie in bed with all the lights off, the white noise machine on, and a cold cloth over my eyes/forehead.

Did you see that book I recommended?

Omg vee were are very much alike. I listen to white noise, or radio static. It's very comforting to my ears. My son got an MP3 player yesterday and it has radio on it. I was explaining to him about the radio static and we got onto the topic of why I listen to it. It's from Japan and has a "Japan Radio" setting which goes down to 70MHz ... was showing him how to listen to cordless phones with it and gave him a little demo using a phone (had to manually change frequency of it). Technically the MP3 player isn't legal because of that ha ha.

Sorry I'm rambling there. I did see that book yes thank you fair sharing. I'm going to give it a read. I've got a PDF of it from *cough* *cough*. I'm broke atm, but when finances are good I shall give back to the author.

Pamplemousse
08-07-20, 15:06
I've done CBT in the past yes. I still do some of the techniques like the breathing exercises. But they don't seem to help with this.

Sorry, I worded my original question badly. I was trying to say that if there was a chance of an online chat session with a therapist/counsellor to discuss your current issues with (the hypomania, sensory overload and other issues) would you consider that?

AntsyVee
08-07-20, 17:46
Sorry I'm rambling there. I did see that book yes thank you fair sharing. I'm going to give it a read. I've got a PDF of it from *cough* *cough*. I'm broke atm, but when finances are good I shall give back to the author.

Don't worry. I've had to download many pdf books for students because they school doesn't have enough money to order them, the kids don't have enough money to order them, and I don't have enough money to pay for them all.

In addition to white noise, I also love fan or air conditioning noise!

pulisa
08-07-20, 18:10
Sorry, I worded my original question badly. I was trying to say that if there was a chance of an online chat session with a therapist/counsellor to discuss your current issues with (the hypomania, sensory overload and other issues) would you consider that?

I would imagine that most online therapists would be out of their depth with this though?