PDA

View Full Version : Going overseas

Gregor
23-10-07, 19:30
Hi,

I finally made the decision to go to see my wife in Peru. The ticket's all paid for, so there's no backing out now. I just need some advice and possible encouragement about how to deal with my agoraphobia on the trip which is about 17 hours.

I'm doing everything i can to make the journey as less stressful as possible. My dad is driving me to London the day before to break the journey up a little and my friend has generously agreed to fly part way (to Madrid) to help me cope. We're also going to contact the airline to see what help they can provide me at the airports - i don't want to be standing in queues, etc.

I've been to see my GP and she's given me some Diazepam. I've never taken these before, so i need some advice on that. What sort of effect will they give me? will they really relax me enough? how long do they last? like should i take one before the first flight, then another before the second flight? also, i can't take tablets (an anxiety thing), so can these ones be crushed and taken in that way, if so, is the taste unbearable? I'm going to try one before i go anyway, but i'd just like all these questions answered because i'm nervous about taking anything new.

The big date is 9th November and i'm scared to death! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gregor

JayneH
04-11-07, 22:17
Hi Gregor -

Wishing you lots of good luck for your journey to Peru and very much hope that your travels will be calm and enjoyable.

I think you are very brave for deciding to travel and I am sure it will be a great encouragement to know that your Wife will be there at the end of your journey.

I have just had a look at the leaflet from my Diazepam medication (I was prescribed this at the beginning of my panic attacks when I experienced an unpleasant evening being unable to settle). Diazepam is used as a muscle relaxant and encourages sleep - hopefully they will help you to feel more settled and peaceful during your journey. Very unfortunately, I could not find any advice on the leaflet regarding crushing the tablets but hopefully your GP would be able to kindly advise you regarding this. I was advised to take Diazepam three times a day so hopefully it would work out well for you to take one before your first flight and one before your second flight.

Please very kindly let me know how everything goes - I will be thinking of you very much :hugs:

Love -

Jayne x

Quiet-Lift
04-11-07, 22:51
Hi Gregor...:)

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any advice because I am not in your shoes.
The only thing I can suggest is Rescue Remedy pastilles for the Journey (you can get them from Boots), some reading matter or something else to distract you, and my encouragement to go through with it come hell or high water!

What you are doing is very courageous and you should remind yourself of this no matter how anxious you feel. Double, if not treble - courageous because you have agoraphobia.

One day I would like to do what you are going to do - travel abroad on my own. I dream of it, but you are going to do it.

All the best

sagey
04-11-07, 23:07
In your position I would try half a tablet before you actually need it.that way you will be familiar with and not alarmed by the way it makes you feel. I have had diazepam and can record that it took about 15/20 minutes to hit the spot. It made me feel very slightly woozy but not by any means in an alarming way, after that I felt quite normal and very relaxed. Good luck on your journey.

Gregor
12-11-07, 14:31
Hi again,

I'd just like to let everyone know that i actually made it! I'm here in Peru now and i feel amazing for what ive done.

The trip itself had its ups and downs, but more ups really. I felt fine for the most part. I had fantastic help throughout. My friend came with me for the first flight to Madrid, then i was on my own the rest of the way. I did manage to get assistance from the airline all the way and everyone that helped got me through it.

I did have my diazepam and took about 5 doses during the whole trip, mostly helped.

I still can't believe that i actually did it. I remember it was only a couple of years ago i was housebound for a year and now ive travelled on my own to Peru. It feels like a dream. I always thought i wouldnt go through with it, but i did.

Although there were definitely some scarey moments along the way, it was so worth it. Im back now with my wife and i couldnt be happier.

If i can do this, im sure many of you are capable also of doing the things you fear most. I hope my experience can give others the confidence to do things.

Gregor

honeybee3939
12-11-07, 15:03
Hi Gregor !

Wow a massive well done for getting to Peru, what a fantastic achievement.:yesyes:

You have yourself a great time, thanks for keeping us updated, real proud of you,WELL DONE !:yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

mingsy
12-11-07, 19:09
:yesyes: Hi Gregor

A huge WELL DONE you are an inspiration to us all.:hugs:

nomorepanic
12-11-07, 21:11
Gregor

Wow well done you - fab progress :yesyes: :yesyes: