PDA

View Full Version : Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (Thyroid)

graham58
12-07-20, 18:47
Hi everyone. I'm booked into the local city hospital tomorrow to have a fine needle biopsy of my thyroid gland, where a recent ultrasound scan showed that I have a small lump (nodule); my ENT consultant said it probably wasn't malignant but he wanted to make sure.

I'm getting a bit nervous frankly. Has anyone had this done, and if so, how did it go?

Thanks in advance,

Graham .

https://www.thyroid.org/fna-thyroid-nodules/

Lolalee1
13-07-20, 10:07
Hi graham:)
I have had one done and I took a diazepam about 1 hour prior to the procedure, I have 3 nodules which I get checked every 6 months they are fine,also have had 2 parathyroids removed which were ok too.
All I felt was a pulling feeling.You will be ok all the best.
Oh you gunna play the Music Chain :yesyes:

Redsmum
13-07-20, 11:25
Hi graham i had this done about 20 years ago as i also had a nodule on my thyroid gland. As i recall they put a numbing cream on the area & then drew some fluid of, just felt a bit strange then & for a while after but other than that no effects. It did result in me having the nodule removed as it was attached to one half of the thyroid gland, but it hasn’t affected me at all since. Hope all goes well for & let us know how you get on. Take care.

graham58
14-07-20, 11:49
Thanks for your support Lola and Redsmum, and glad to see that things worked out well for you in the end. I got through it OK (thanks to a great nurse who engaged me in conversation and took my mind off it) and am recovering from it now.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Graham .

Redsmum
14-07-20, 13:32
Hi graham so pleased to hear you got through it all ok, sometimes all the stress we put ourselves through thinking about it is worse than the actual procedure. When will you get your results? Take care.

pulisa
14-07-20, 14:07
Don't be alarmed by the neck bruising post-FNA, Graham. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the results.

Lolalee1
15-07-20, 11:31
Hi graham:Dpleased you got through it and all went well.x

graham58
07-08-20, 22:54
Thanks to you both :) My neck's healed up now, just got to wait for the results (should be about 2-3 weeks more).

graham58
12-09-20, 16:37
The test results weren't good unfortunately (though not the worst possible), so I've got to have another meeting (different consultant) at the hospital on Monday to discuss what happens next and I may have to have an operation. Still, I'm grateful for the NHS & that they're still taking so much trouble over me.

Lolalee1
13-09-20, 10:24
I am sorry to hear this graham and please keep in touch with what is happening.
Take Care :hugs:

Redsmum
13-09-20, 13:11
The test results weren't good unfortunately (though not the worst possible), so I've got to have another meeting (different consultant) at the hospital on Monday to discuss what happens next and I may have to have an operation. Still, I'm grateful for the NHS & that they're still taking so much trouble over me.

Really sorry to hear that Graham, i hope you can get something sorted out with your consultant tomorrow. Let us know how you get on if you can, take care.

graham58
13-09-20, 15:32
Thanks, and for your concern :) I'll let you know how I get on after my appointment tomorrow.

pulisa
13-09-20, 20:58
I have had thyroid surgery, Graham and it's relatively straightforward with a very quick recovery. I hope you can avoid an op but sometimes fine needle aspiration can only give an inconclusive result and the nodule needs to be removed to be examined more accurately.

graham58
13-09-20, 23:17
Hi Pulisa, thanks for replying and for your good wishes! I was actually warned at the time I had my aspiration that it might not be conclusive and they might have to do some more.

pulisa
14-09-20, 08:30
Please let us know what is decided? I just wanted to say that the surgery is routine and no big deal if in fact they do decide to take the nodule out.

graham58
07-01-21, 21:17
Hi Pulisa (and Redsmum),

Just a quick update to say that I had the surgery just before Christmas (9th November) and am now resting at home (we're all resting at home thanks to Covid, I know). I've also had my follow-up appointment with the thyroid surgeon this week and he told me that the lump was benign after all and I won't need radiotherapy, which is a great relief.

Thanks for all your support and concern.

Lolalee1
08-01-21, 10:03
That is good news graham:yesyes:keep resting and stay safe.x

pulisa
08-01-21, 14:28
Really pleased to hear this, Graham and thanks for letting us know. Look after yourself and make sure you get regular blood tests to check your thyroid levels after the surgery.

graham58
08-01-21, 20:37
That is good news graham:yesyes:keep resting and stay safe.x

Thanks, you too!