PDA

View Full Version : anybody else still staying at home?

uklad
12-07-20, 18:52
Any body else think it's still worth staying at home even though lockdown is lifted?

Lencoboy
12-07-20, 19:18
I suppose it all depends on one's own personal circumstances, and the area in which they live.

AntsyVee
12-07-20, 19:26
I'm staying at home as much as possible. I've got older parents and young kids in my family, and I still want to be able to see them in good conscience. Plus my area has seen a rise in cases, and my city is one of three on the county's watchlist.

Fishmanpa
12-07-20, 19:32
We're in the States and other than a quick trip for groceries once a week, we're not going out anywhere. That said, I'm in essential services and despite precautions, its very stressful.

Positive thoughts

uklad
12-07-20, 20:29
I'm in a predicament were I can stay in for awhile, have old parent and young baby to consider.... people keep saying it's like it's back to normal know has me wondering if it's right keeping people in still....

uklad
12-07-20, 20:32
Ah in I high rate area looking at going back on lockdown.....

MRS STRESS ED
12-07-20, 21:06
l only went out for work but l am off sick now, l hate going out its horrible not a nice experience especially in the shops, l wasn't good in shops before covid l rather stay home as much as possible

best wishes xx

pulisa
12-07-20, 21:20
We are visiting a local farm tomorrow. We'd rather be out than indoors because home is not a safe place in terms of our mental health.

MRS STRESS ED
12-07-20, 21:37
We are visiting a local farm tomorrow. We'd rather be out than indoors because home is not a safe place in terms of our mental health.

l agree with what you are saying but some people feel worse outside at the moment just depends on the individual

best wishes xx

uklad
12-07-20, 22:32
Trip to a farm sounds a nice idea, wouldn't mind getting out more myself not to sure when though..... too indecisive at the moment.

Pamplemousse
12-07-20, 22:49
As I'm classed as "medically vulnerable" I'm staying at home. I tried venturing out a bit more with a face covering on, but then I developed what felt like a swollen throat and a touch of earache in my right ear yesterday. That has frightened me so I'm staying here at home.

Tomorrow I shall speak to the managers of my investment portfolio to withdraw a chunk of it to live on and stop paying myself from my company bank account; I'm one of the "forgotten" so I cannot get any government assistance whatsoever.

Then tonight I thought I heard someone say that the virus may end up being like the common cold in that antibodies don't last long, so effectively we have a 'common cold' that kills now.

uklad
12-07-20, 23:03
I've got Hope's for a vaccine or more effective treatment to be available at some point in the future.... who knows ..... is effecting too many people, so a solution must be needed for economy's to recover.

glassgirlw
12-07-20, 23:46
I’m classified as “essential” so I do have to go to work every day. But other than that, I stay home. I actually don’t mind and I enjoy being at home for the most part. Been doing some fun projects around my home and just enjoying time with my spouse.

pulisa
13-07-20, 08:24
[QUOTE=MRS STRESS ED;1958150]l agree with what you are saying but some people feel worse outside at the moment just depends on the individual

best wishes xx[/QUO

Of course it does and no one should feel they have to justify their decision to stay at home. It's whatever is best for you mentally. We have made the decision to go out because the alternative is worsening my daughter's already precarious mental health. xx

MRS STRESS ED
13-07-20, 09:03
Pulisa l am so pleased your going out l wish l could just where l am mentally at the moment, l hope you have a great day with your daughter xx

best wishes

pulisa
13-07-20, 09:13
That's really kind of you, Mrs Stress ed..I very much hope that you will soon be able to go out safely too when you are ready to. If you're not psychologically ready to it's just not worth it xx

MRS STRESS ED
13-07-20, 12:20
That's really kind of you, Mrs Stress ed..I very much hope that you will soon be able to go out safely too when you are ready to. If you're not psychologically ready to it's just not worth it xx

Thank you for your kind words wishing you well xx

Gary A
13-07-20, 14:11
As I'm classed as "medically vulnerable" I'm staying at home. I tried venturing out a bit more with a face covering on, but then I developed what felt like a swollen throat and a touch of earache in my right ear yesterday. That has frightened me so I'm staying here at home.

Tomorrow I shall speak to the managers of my investment portfolio to withdraw a chunk of it to live on and stop paying myself from my company bank account; I'm one of the "forgotten" so I cannot get any government assistance whatsoever.

Then tonight I thought I heard someone say that the virus may end up being like the common cold in that antibodies don't last long, so effectively we have a 'common cold' that kills now.

There’s reports every few weeks saying different things. At the moment there are one or two studies saying antibodies fade in the system after a few weeks. However, they do not go completely in the vast majority of infected people.

Studies of SARS and MERS, two other coronaviruses, showed that antibody levels peaked after 3 weeks then declined. When tested up to two years later there were still detectable antibodies but at a far lower level than peak response. This particular coronavirus is actually looking more like SARS and MERS than the coronaviruses that cause common colds.

There’s also a lot of evidence that T cells play a larger role in immune response to Covid-19 than neutralising antibodies alone. T cells are harder to detect in blood samples so immunity could be years long when acquired via infection. As is the frustration with this new virus, more studies are needed and over longer time periods.

There’s very little, if any at all, evidence of re-infection and of course cases were being recorded as far back as December, so all isn’t lost with acquired immunity just yet.

ankietyjoe
13-07-20, 15:04
It's probably worth considering that even if you can be re-infected, the likelihood is that it would impact you far less second time around as your immune system knows what to do without over-reacting this time.

Noivous
13-07-20, 15:08
I'm out and about uklad. I was off last week and was all over the place. As a matter of fact I drove by a pretty famous seafood place yesterday near the beach and they were packed in like sardines...no pun intended... But they were as happy as clams...not to make waves but I'm going out...I realize it's no day at the beach for many...but why don't you try going out just once for the halibut and sea how it goes?

N.

pulisa
13-07-20, 16:32
There's no plaice like the seaside for good healthy air! No codding..I'd recommend it heart and sole..

We had some fun getting up close and personal with some lemurs today..No social distancing with them! Made a change from Covid related stuff and the sun was out so loads of Vit D to protect us (so they say..)

Noivous
13-07-20, 17:04
I feel so pun-y in the presence of such a great punner!😁

pulisa
13-07-20, 17:44
I never fish for compliments, Noivous but thanks for the accolade!

Scass
13-07-20, 20:58
We don’t go out a lot, but my daughter has gone back to school now so at least she is occupied & happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntsyVee
13-07-20, 23:43
Well, our governor has put certain counties under lockdown again, mine included. Not that I was going out much anyway, but I hope they can keep some of the smaller businesses open this time and convince some of the younger people to take it seriously.

glassgirlw
14-07-20, 03:00
AV that’s the problem in my state as well. The affected age has dropped way, way down - it’s the 20 somethings now that have tripled our case count in the last two weeks. I’m afraid another semi-lockdown is coming, which is going to be horrible for the small businesses that have already suffered so much.

Everyone is arguing that the “death rates are dropping” so everything is fine - I really don’t think our state leaders are going to take that into account when they decide to shut things down again. If the younger people would just cooperate with the distancing and mask wearing we might get thru this without a ton more businesses going under. It’s so sad to see.

pulisa
14-07-20, 08:09
Younger people think they are invincible, don't they? Awful to say but maybe it would hit home a bit more if a young ,well known face in the social media world got badly affected?

Noivous
14-07-20, 16:04
AV that’s the problem in my state as well. The affected age has dropped way, way down - it’s the 20 somethings now that have tripled our case count in the last two weeks. I’m afraid another semi-lockdown is coming, which is going to be horrible for the small businesses that have already suffered so much.

Everyone is arguing that the “death rates are dropping” so everything is fine - I really don’t think our state leaders are going to take that into account when they decide to shut things down again. If the younger people would just cooperate with the distancing and mask wearing we might get thru this without a ton more businesses going under. It’s so sad to see.

I'm of the mind GGW that the so called cure is far more damaging than the disease itself.

AntsyVee
14-07-20, 16:36
I'm of the mind GGW that the so called cure is far more damaging than the disease itself.

It doesn't have to be. Not if it was done the right way. But as long as some of our leaders refuse to think outside the box, it might be. Sad state of affairs that we have to choose between economic ruin and illness and/or death.

MRS STRESS ED
14-07-20, 18:48
Well l am feeling proud of myself l managed to go out today and walk my doggies not far but its a start, l felt wobbly when l got back home but l did it first time since coming out of hospital xx

best wishes

Pamplemousse
14-07-20, 20:06
Well l am feeling proud of myself l managed to go out today and walk my doggies not far but its a start, l felt wobbly when l got back home but l did it first time since coming out of hospital xx

best wishes

Well done, you!

:yesyes:

pulisa
14-07-20, 20:38

best wishes

Great stuff, Mrs S! It's the first steps which are the hardest and you've done them safely! maybe go out again tomorrow just to keep proving to yourself that there's nothing scary outside? xx

MRS STRESS ED
14-07-20, 21:04
Thank you Pamplemousse and Pulisa xx l am going to try again tomorrow maybe go alittle bit further thanks guys your the best xx

glassgirlw
15-07-20, 03:12
It doesn't have to be. Not if it was done the right way. But as long as some of our leaders refuse to think outside the box, it might be. Sad state of affairs that we have to choose between economic ruin and illness and/or death.

I agree with both points - N, our economy can’t sustain another shutdown, and with treatments improving and yes, the death rate dropping, I don’t think a full lockdown is the answer. But, wearing a mask is such a simple thing to do - especially in places where keeping distance is difficult. If there’s a chance something so simple could reduce the spread, allow businesses to remain open, and ease the burden on the hospitals, I really don’t understand why more people won’t just do it.

pulisa
15-07-20, 08:05
I'm sure people will comply and it will become a normal thing to do after a while. None of us likes change but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. It's so important to have a united approach on this though and all the dithering and mixed messages have added to the confusion.

pulisa
15-07-20, 08:07
Thank you Pamplemousse and Pulisa xx l am going to try again tomorrow maybe go alittle bit further thanks guys your the best xx

That's a very good plan, Mrs S...Take it as it comes and if you can go a little bit further that's great! If you can't, there's always another time xx

Lencoboy
15-07-20, 09:08

best wishes

That sounds lovely, Mrs Stress Ed.

I find dog walking really relaxing, and if you are going out in graduated steps (and in the open air) whilst still doing the recommended social distancing, you can't go far wrong.

MRS STRESS ED
15-07-20, 09:33
Thanks again Pulisa for your encouragement xx

Lencoboy your so right it is relaxing and I'm going to keep going as much as possible panic can't win thanks again your lovely people xx

best wishes

pulisa
15-07-20, 13:14
Glad that you have made this decision..You'll feel so much better all round. You are strong and need to be able to enjoy being outside safely again xx

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 13:58
Thanks again Pulisa for your encouragement xx

Lencoboy your so right it is relaxing and I'm going to keep going as much as possible panic can't win thanks again your lovely people xx

I wish I had your courage, Mrs. S - since I developed a swollen throat and earache at the weekend I am now even more resolved to stay indoors and am close to tears half the time. I had a phone call from one of my clients last night and I was terrified he was going to offer me work again. I was so pleased that it was just a social call...

MRS STRESS ED
15-07-20, 14:59
I wish I had your courage, Mrs. S - since I developed a swollen throat and earache at the weekend I am now even more resolved to stay indoors and am close to tears half the time. I had a phone call from one of my clients last night and I was terrified he was going to offer me work again. I was so pleased that it was just a social call...

oh bless you l wouldn't say courage l was nervous but I know l can't stay home forever my brain would love to,

l managed a walk again today but it's not easy small steps pamplemousse don't be hard on yourself you will do it just take everyday as it comesxx

sending you hugs and positive vibes xx

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 17:23
oh bless you l wouldn't say courage l was nervous but I know l can't stay home forever my brain would love to,

l managed a walk again today but it's not easy small steps pamplemousse don't be hard on yourself you will do it just take everyday as it comesxx

sending you hugs and positive vibes xx

:)

Scass
15-07-20, 17:25

How is your throat & ear now? I’m so sorry that you’ve been left more upset. Hopefully it’ll pass soon & you’ll have a bit more confidence again.

pulisa
15-07-20, 17:58
I really feel for you, PM..because being classed as amongst those needing to shield by your GP hardly helps your anxiety and it must be hard not to focus on every physical symptom and assume the worst..even though it's not.

You must be being thought of by your clients though which is comforting in a small way, I suppose?

I think you should let rip on here as a form of distraction therapy!:D

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 19:22
How is your throat & ear now? I’m so sorry that you’ve been left more upset. Hopefully it’ll pass soon & you’ll have a bit more confidence again.

Say it quietly... but I think the throat has improved. More than I can say for the ear, but I have had persistent trouble with my right ear on and off for years. I'm not counting any chickens yet though.

I had an email tonight from my client, who said "I forgot to ask last night, but how do you feel about coming down to join us again?" I'm very lucky that I do have clients that appreciate my particular skill sets.

I am toying with saying "would a start in August be okay?" As one of "The Forgotten", the money would be handy but I place a higher value on my feeling of safety right now. Penury is preferable to dying of Covid-19.

We shall see.

AntsyVee
15-07-20, 19:33
Are you taking Sudafed or something similar to help your ear drain of fluid?

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 19:34
I really feel for you, PM..because being classed as amongst those needing to shield by your GP hardly helps your anxiety and it must be hard not to focus on every physical symptom and assume the worst..even though it's not.

You must be being thought of by your clients though which is comforting in a small way, I suppose?

I think you should let rip on here as a form of distraction therapy!:D

Careful Pulisa, I might get in trouble if I did that!

I should clarify I'm not a "shielder", just "clinically vulnerable" - although a former colleague of mine has just returned to his workplace and he definitely *is* a "shielder". I'm diabetic and hugely overweight which pretty much paints a big target on my back for this damned virus.

So yes, this virus has done wonders for my anxiety.

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 19:43
Are you taking Sudafed or something similar to help your ear drain of fluid?

I'm not sure what's up with it, Vee: it's probably in need of syringing again but I've had infections in it in the past. I might nip to the chemist next week to have a chat with them. A bit of me (of course) thinks this is a very weird Covid-19 symptom.

The other thing is I'd have to check if Sudafed is contra-indicated with any of my seven daily medicines...

AntsyVee
15-07-20, 19:47
I get a lot of sinus problems due to my allergies. Usually I take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) and a nasal spray plus my normal allergy medicine when it gets bad. With all the precautions you've been taking against getting CV, I'd say it's more likely you're having seasonal issues than anything else.

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 19:57
It all started after I got that ear full of water during a shower the day before and it didn't seem to drain out/empty. I mean, I take all the recommended precautions against the virus but I am always left with this over-arching feeling of "but what if I...?"

Pamplemousse
15-07-20, 19:59
For example, we have had several hundred new cases in the UK today. Somehow, people are still transmitting and catching this and I'm left wondering "how?"

AntsyVee
15-07-20, 20:00
Try some "swimmer's ear" solution.