PDA

View Full Version : Food Anxiety Post-Anaphlaxia

RetailMoth
16-07-20, 01:56
This is a bit embarrassing for me to talk about.

Three years ago, I had a late-stage allergy development to something I had previously eaten just fine on a regular basis. I was out in public. My tongue swelled up and I was terrified I was going to suffocate. I didn't need to be admitted to a hospital, thankfully. But ever since then, I've been terrified of eating.

I look at every dish I've eaten before with suspicion. I look at new dishes with genuine fear. I had a literal panic attack when I thought a dish I was eating in a restaurant had come into contact with a plate of my allergen. (Fortunately, it hadn't. The chefs were very careful about cross-contamination, especially after I warned them off my allergy. But I just saw that other plate being brought out and I just panicked.)

It's causing difficulty for both my loved ones and for myself. I hate that I'm too afraid to eat my favorite foods now, and that it takes me so long to eat in general. Meanwhile, my loved ones are frustrated that I'm so wary. They understand why, of course, but I can tell this is putting a bit of a strain on them.

How can I better manage my food anxiety? Does anybody have some kind of advice, or was in a similar situation?

Scass
16-07-20, 03:46
I can understand your anxiety and it’s not something that you should be embarrassed about. It happens to lots of people, and lots of people are scared to eat for many reasons. However, it sounds like you are still trying to deal with the anxiety from the trauma. Have you sought any help for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetailMoth
16-07-20, 03:52
I've only spoken with my loved ones. (Therapists are hard to find/pay for here.)

They've been trying their best, and I am grateful to them. When I eat slowly, they say things like "You can speed up; if you were going to have an episode it would have happened already." Or "I've got Benedryl here/We're in a restaurant with a first aid kit, you're going to be fine."

But I still always have to psyche myself up before I start eating. Or again, go slowly.
It's SORT OF working out, I guess, but I just want to go back to the days where I could just eat something/try something new without even thinking about it.