PDA

View Full Version : Hurt peroneal tendon in ankle! When will it heal??

O_O
17-07-20, 13:48
A couple of weeks ago I tweaked what I think is the peroneal tendon in my left foot.

It felt mild at first so I went on a walk but it started hurting more and more. For a couple of days afterwards I could barely walk.

For the next two weeks I rested it completely - literally only walking between bathroom, bedroom, living room, kitchen. It seemed to be getting better and not hurting much.

I then tried walking round my garden a bit and I could sort of feel it but it wasn't too bad.

Today I tried to go on a walk and after quarter of a mile I was limping and had to turn back.

I've realised now that it isn't getting better at all - if I tried to do a long walk it would be just as bad as it was two weeks ago.

If I walk on tiptoes, it doesn't hurt.

Should I go to the doctor? What have I done, and will it heal?? I can't not walk - it's my main hobby, and I need to get outside in nature. Has anybody else had anything like this, and what happened?

Thanks.

nomorepanic
17-07-20, 14:05
I would get a proper diagnosis from a professional and take it from there as then you will know what you are really dealing with and how to treat it.

O_O
17-07-20, 14:46
Thanks Nicola, I'm going to speak to my doc on Tues but I was wondering if anybody had experienced anything similar.

I'm scared it's going to be one of those chronic conditions like tendonitis or something and I'll never really be able to walk again.

It literally just came out of nowhere.

Scass
17-07-20, 17:32
I don’t know what that tendon is. I have tendinitis in my heels. It wouldn’t hurt if I was up on tiptoes either. It generally hurts if I wear flat shoes or shoes with no support, or sometimes when I get up in the morning. The tendons on my heels are visibly raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O_O
17-07-20, 17:45
Thanks Scass. I'll be pretty gutted if it's that. I walk and hike so much.

It's only one foot at the moment, and there are no visible signs. I'll see what the doctor says.

ErinKC
17-07-20, 20:18
I agree that it's worth having looked at so you know exactly what the issue is and can get advice on stretches or exercises to help. I had achilles tendonitis that lasted for about a year, but it did get better with rest, ice, and the right shoes. Even when it was bad I could still walk, it just would be sore after. Now, I've starting walking more and being more active and found shoes that don't irritate it and it's not come back, so it's certainly possible even for bad tendonitis to heal with the right treatment plan.

O_O
17-07-20, 20:37
Thanks Erin. How did yours come on - was it like you just felt it all of a sudden?

pav1984
17-07-20, 21:28
Get a proper diagnosis but it sounds like what my wife had a few years ago. She got some good insoles for her shoes. She is right as rain now.

WiseMonkey
18-07-20, 07:18
Hi yes, see your Dr for a diagnosis as you may need an X-Ray/ultrasound. Let us know the outcome xx

Scass
18-07-20, 07:31

It's only one foot at the moment, and there are no visible signs. I'll see what the doctor says.

You still can, you just need to follow the exercises and wear good shoes/boots.

ErinKC
19-07-20, 05:03

Running in shoes with poor arch support and high backs that rub against my achilles.

O_O
20-07-20, 08:42
Thanks guys.

A friend suggested I go to the minor injuries unit at the hospital. I hadn't even thought of that, but apparently it's exactly for injuries like this.

I've not been yet, because for the last couple days I've only been walking on tiptoes and it's been feeling ok. Now I'm walking normally but very carefully and it's still feeling ok.

I haven't tried walking any distance, but I did go to a house viewing and walked round there and round the garden and didn't have any pain.

I'm going to keep on being very careful and see what happens 😬

Scass
20-07-20, 09:40
That’s good. Maybe if it flares again you could get a video call with your gp

O_O
27-07-20, 00:27
Good news!

I really rested my foot, only walking on tiptoes for a bit and then just walking normally but very slowly and carefully for about a week. I didn't leave my house, so hardly did any walking at all.

On Friday I went to Northern Ireland and I was walking about fine in the airport, and I did a big mountain hike and it was totally fine! And still feels fine now!

I'm hoping that's the end of it. I was so scared it was chronic tendonitis but perhaps it was just a one off sprain.

It took 3 weeks of rest to heal.

I am so glad I can walk again. It's as if a big weight has been lifted. I just hope it never randomly flares back up.