PDA

View Full Version : Mind switch - very interesting

jayke
26-07-20, 10:43
Hi everybody.

Palpitations are my primary worry. Skipped, flutters, fast...the lot.

I am 42.

I have suffered from anxiety and palpitations for over twenty years. I have had more tests and hospital visits than I care to remember.

I mostly have everything under control but the anxiety is always there, either under the surface or on top of it. I consider myself a very high functioning anxiety sufferer.

I am now understanding more than ever the power of the mind, and its ability to trigger symptoms subconsciously.

Based on my own experiences and what I read, it is rather obvious that the mind is the issue, or rather the thought processes we have.

For me, I may be clearly anxious about something and so it is apparent I am at risk of symptoms. That much is universally agreed. But if I am honest with myself, when I think I am okay and I have symptoms seemingly out of the blue, I can identify triggers that would cause symptoms. It could be feeling out of balance because of something I shouldn't have eaten or drank; guilt at not exercising; being too focused on my body...so many things that are very much in the background and not in my immediate stream of conscious.

I am starting to consider my thoughts (bother conscious and subconscious) as a switch mechanism. If the switch is tripped, I get symptoms.

Now more than ever I think so many of us could be helped by cognitive therapy and not drugs. I am absolutely convinced it is the mind. The brain produces millions of signals every second. It's full power is not understood by science. This is where we should be looking.

Some ideas: 'it's not the toothpaste you're using, or the beer you drank. It's the thought processes you put in place to form associations with the world around you and how you feel. The doctor says you are fine. Medically all is well. Everything points to the mind - there are no other avenues.'

What do you think??????

J :)

KatieProsecco
26-07-20, 10:53
I 100% agree that it is our thoughts that cause symptoms. In fact I was just watching a utube video by Marisa Peer and she confirmed that they control the mind, very interesting viewing! I am now consciously redirecting my thoughts away from my 'symptom', it does work but need to do it relentlessly and I'm not there yet. Keen to hear what others say. :-)

jayke
26-07-20, 11:34
Yes, very interesting! And obvious, in a way. As humans, we look for an explanation in the physical. Maybe it was not always this way.

If one considers what happens during physical attraction, the mind not only serves to prepare the body (I won't go into detail!), but also (and this is powerful) serves to affect the reality of the individual to influence the outcome (mating). In today's society, this takes place over a prolonged period of time, this placing the parties in a new world of love (idyllic, I know), which has an impact both physically and mentally. Everything (everything!) originates in the mind, even our perception of the world. Our reality streams from the mind.

When people say 'it's all in the mind, as sufferers we don't want to hear that. It denotes a lack of sympathy. Ironically, they are correct.

KatieProsecco
26-07-20, 11:44
Thanks I'm just getting into how the mind works now after years off trying to deal with my one symptom (and by doing so just making it worse). I have had excellent advice from a couple of people on this site recently as well. For info I focus in on a heavy sensation behind my nose area, I at last am beginning to realise that it is 'normal', everyone has it but I I am hypersensitive to it. By constantly thinking about it I fuel it...now the hard work...redirecting that thought within a few seconds! :-)