PDA

View Full Version : A Wee Problem..

pulisa
26-07-20, 21:17
I've got such a lot going on at home at the moment so the last thing I need is pet problems..However Hubert my 21 month old guinea pig has had 2 courses of UTI specific antibiotics and has just started up with more symptoms so I will be taking him in for an x ray/ultrasound hopefully tomorrow to check for the dreaded bladder stones...

The idea of nursing him through the op plus days of syringe feeding round the clock whilst dealing with my other commitments fills me with dread! Please keep your fingers crossed that it's an irritable bladder/interstitial cystitis which doesn't need surgery!! If it's a stone then he'll have the op but urghhh...Couldn't have come at a worse time. He's a precious pig so he'll get the best treatment but ..just wish it wasn't happening!

Sorry for the moan..I hate my pets being under the weather but know it's all part of being a responsible owner.

Midnight-mouse
26-07-20, 21:35
Moan away! It’s rough when our furry family is under the weather, especially when added to everything else!
When I’ve had issues the veterinary assistants have been happy to take over the care in the immediate time following the procedure. Is there any way you could ask them if they offer any further assistance, it may be cost prohibitive but it might give an extra option for the future if needed.

Fingers crossed that it doesn’t come to it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jojo2316
26-07-20, 21:48
Poor Hubert! The very last thing you need.... I do hope it is not a stone. Let us know..... fingers and toes crossed

MRS STRESS ED
26-07-20, 22:10
Oh us animal lovers totally get it Pulisa l hope little Hubert is okay l really do sending him Guinea pig hugs 🤗

Scass
26-07-20, 23:51
Get well soon Hubert x

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-20, 04:48
The poor little lad. I hope it turns out to be something that can be more easily treated than surgery. Hubert will no doubt love being syringed and all the extra attention from his mum https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/animal/m02109.gif I hope he's not in pain.

If it does happen you know the work involved and you will get it done because that's just you. Be remember to try to get some time to relax & recharge yourself as you have so much on your plate.

I think with pets they depend on us so much even though they are very tough really and will get on with life despite pain. But it's always hard to know how they feel and whether we are doing the right things when they can't tell us in words. But they do tell us in different ways so we can try to help them.

AntsyVee
27-07-20, 05:37
Poor Hubert. I love guinea pigs. :hugs:

BlueIris
27-07-20, 06:49
Poor Hubert! I hope he's able to make a swift recovery.

Seconding what others have said, though, please make time for your own needs, too?

pulisa
27-07-20, 07:56
Thank you so much everyone! I'll be ringing at 8am to get the xray done this morning, I hope..Having said that it's Monday so no doubt they will be snowed under..

I do have metacam for pain relief so can keep him comfortable but I'd just like to know if there is in fact a stone now..It all started on June 20th and I know UTIs can be resistant but....?? I know how stones can be a common problem despite following all the dietary recommendations and filtering the water etc etc..

pulisa
27-07-20, 08:13
Am taking him in at 945 am..Will update later! Fingers crossed!

pulisa
27-07-20, 08:15
Moan away! It’s rough when our furry family is under the weather, especially when added to everything else!
When I’ve had issues the veterinary assistants have been happy to take over the care in the immediate time following the procedure. Is there any way you could ask them if they offer any further assistance, it may be cost prohibitive but it might give an extra option for the future if needed.

Fingers crossed that it doesn’t come to it though!

It used to be an option but now I'm at a different practice and they don't offer anything additional..but thanks for the suggestion xx

Midnight-mouse
27-07-20, 08:21
It used to be an option but now I'm at a different practice and they don't offer anything additional..but thanks for the suggestion xx

That’s a shame, I’ll be keeping fingers crossed for the little fluff!

Carnation
27-07-20, 09:43
I know exactly how it is Pulisa and I hope you have a good result at the vets today. x

pulisa
27-07-20, 13:10
Thanks, Carnation and yes, I've had really good news! No stones at all! He had an x ray and an ultrasound and also some urine was aspirated directly from his bladder for a sterile urinalysis..Will hear back this afternoon if there were any nasty bugs on that but hopefully not.

Guinea pigs can get interstitial cystitis/irritable bladder too..So it's probably all due to the stress of living with us!:D I've got to continue with the metacam pain relief as and when I hear him squeaking when he wees but that's nothing compared to the hell of post-op stone removal drama!

Thanks again to everyone xx

Scass
27-07-20, 14:00
Oh bless him! Glad he’s ok [emoji4]

Carnation
27-07-20, 15:14
That is good news Pulisa �� our fur babies are so dependent on us and we worry so much! x

MRS STRESS ED
27-07-20, 15:23
oh good news bless little Hubert sending you both hugs 🤗🐹

BlueIris
27-07-20, 15:24
Great news! I'm so glad for you!

Midnight-mouse
27-07-20, 17:37
Yay! That’s great! I hope the results come back bug free too.

AntsyVee
27-07-20, 17:39
Yay!!! This made my day!

pulisa
27-07-20, 17:56
Yay..No bugs either!!! I think he just wanted a bit of extra attention!!:D

It's got to go down as sterile interstitial cystitis..but he's not a stressy pig at all! My other pig Felix is far more nervous and skittish-Hubert is very laid back and tame..Oh well..Just very relieved it's all benign!

AntsyVee
27-07-20, 17:59
Yes, he must've needed some extra cuddles :) Do Hubert and Felix get a long with each other or do you keep them separately?

pulisa
27-07-20, 18:06
They were kept together but sadly had an acrimonious uncoupling a few months back. They went to mediation but it failed..so now they live in the same room but in different bachelor apartments!:D It works well!

Midnight-mouse
27-07-20, 18:35
Yay for bug free pee! That’s the best outcome that could of come about. I’m so glad!

pulisa
27-07-20, 19:23
Thanks so much...Yes it's the very best outcome!

Carnation
27-07-20, 20:13
Great news! :yesyes:

AntsyVee
27-07-20, 21:16
They were kept together but sadly had an acrimonious uncoupling a few months back. They went to mediation but it failed..so now they live in the same room but in different bachelor apartments!:D It works well!

LOL I understand. Two of my four cats just "tolerate" each other. That's barely. One I've had ever since he was a kitten, but the other one I adopted from my best friend when he died. I thought they would get along just fine because they were both young and of the opposite sex (they're both neutered and spayed), but I guess it wasn't in the stars. They both sit on the couch with me or sleep with me, but they have to be on opposites sides, and they stare each other down the entire time.

MyNameIsTerry
28-07-20, 04:49
Glad to hear little Hubert has not got the dreaded stones https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/animal/m0293.gif

I just hope they find out what the problem is and get it sorted now. Seeing a pet in distress is hard to watch. I'm glad to hear you have some painkillers for him, with our dog they have made a big difference when he's been ill and watching him feeling more himself was a big relief.

pulisa
28-07-20, 08:10
I think it's a benign condition which just needs to be treated when a flare up occurs so I'm happy with this "verdict". Thanks for your kind words, Terry.

Cats have such a pecking order don't they, Vee?! Tolerance is a wonderful thing to achieve when personalities clash! Keeping the peace is essential but not always easy!

KK77
28-07-20, 10:23
Hope Hubert returns to rude health now he has all-clear :shades:

pulisa
28-07-20, 18:00
Thanks, KK! I'm hoping H doesn't develop HA as a result of his interesting pain syndrome! Will coach him in some Cavy Behavioural Therapy should he start reassurance-seeking!:D