PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and anxiety

fishman65
29-07-20, 20:55
I'm not sure if this belongs in the therapy section or not, admin please feel free to move it if required.

OK since the beginning of the Covid19 crisis I've been hammering away at the exercise bike that had previously been gathering dust and spiders in the garden shed. Inspired to get fitter largely due to reading about the links between obesity and Covid prognosis, I've been at it on a regular basis. In fact as I type this, I'd say I'm probably fitter now than I have been in years. At least leg-wise and cardiovascular but I've yet to do much upper body work. I've started some this evening with a 12lb bottle of water. I've also lost significant weight from where I was this time 2 years ago, nudging 5 stones. The bulk of this loss has been over a longer period through regular walking, the more recent exercise bike has accelerated it. However in the last 2 weeks I've plateaued at 18st 3lb. This is despite keeping below the recommended 2154 calories per day that my app has put in place.

So my first question would be how to break through this plateau. Would increasing the duration of exercise do it? Or intensity? I've read about more resistance exercise which made me think about the water bottle. Then again I read too that stress affects cortisol that restricts belly fat loss, and my anxiety has been up and running the last few weeks. Coincidence?

Also does exercise have any therapeutic effect regarding anxiety? My own experience would suggest not, I feel much fitter but the anxiety is still very much there. Clearly though there are too many multiple dynamics involved to answer so simplistic a question.

ankietyjoe
30-07-20, 01:17
First of all, kudos for the weight loss. It ain't easy to change habits!

The answer to this is multi faceted tbh and can be dependant to many things.

In terms of exercise for weight loss, the first question would be what is the time and intensity you are putting into your bike work? There comes a point of limited return as your metabolism will adapt to your new output.

In terms of diet, this isn't as simple as calories in/out either, for similar reasons. As you lose weight, you start to need less calories. It also depends on what you're eating and when. It's become common for the last few decades for the general advice to be to eat little and often, but more recently it's been found that this is a terrible idea, especially in terms of weight gain.

Resistance training is one great way to boost fat burning simply because more muscle = more calories used, but in reality actual muscle building gets much harder as we get older so to build any real muscle will take big effort, and can result in an over stimulated CNS for anxiety suffers. It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just not worth relying on solely, rather as an addition to what you're already doing.

Yes, cortisol will play a role in making it more difficult to lose weight, but it's not going to prevent it completely.

Investigating the type of food you eat and the time you eat it is a good place to start I think.

Phill2
30-07-20, 02:24
I used to ride 10km every morning before work and felt great for the day but since my heart attack in 2015 my anxiety has stopped me from riding.
I know you've had 2 FM.
How do you find exercising after that?
I had 1 stent.
Thanks in advance.

MyNameIsTerry
30-07-20, 06:00
Cortisol may be an issue because studies have found it linked to 'trunk fat'. So you might find more around your face, pecs, abs, etc. But it's not a block on getting beyond there since many anxiety sufferers are in gym shape (some on here for a start).

As Joe says, it's harder to build muscle as we are since our testosterone levels drop. However many men put on plenty in middle age. It will likely take longer since you don't have the hormone levels of a 20 year old. But that's about peak and you would get the same issue in your thirties but just to a lesser extent.

Are you considering adding weight as a cardio thing? If so you getting into something similar to kettlebell training which makes you stronger as well as fitter. Unlike aiming for strength, or optimum muscle building, you aren't doing a heavy workout aimed at something like gains in size or power. They can be great for weight loss too since not only do you gain more muscle to burn more calories but your body has to respond to the stress to build them which takes a lot of calories.

So if you are going more for a strength plus cardio approach you won't get the big gains but what you will do is force your body to increase what it is using. That will mean burning more calories and also after you stop as some muscle building action will be taking place. Cardio is more about burning whilst exercising, adding weight increases the need to build more muscle to cope with the increased demand.

With the bike why not consider HIIT training? It's as basic as sprint then peddle moderately then repeat. The sprint is shorter. This method of training emerged from the training performed by athletes who compete in sprints. But you can do it all sorts of ways since you just increase the effort, reduce, repeat. It's much more intensive than stopping to rest between sprints and the moderate 'rest' keeps the body working.

If you were weight training you can do things like HIIT but basing it around the weight. But in weight training there are other ways to keep the pressure on e.g. supersets, volume training, etc.

Cortisol is weight training can be a problem if you do more than 60 minutes. It spikes at this point. But I think this one is complicated with us as our baselines and peaks are possibly higher or worse. You are going to know if you overdo it but given your current level of exercise you have a good base to work from.

As for whether it helps I think this is also complicated & individual. It can, the science says so. But what if like me you struggle with physical sensations, had some of your memorable panics as a result of workouts and struggle with the natural aches & pains of exercise? This is where I think you treat it like any other fear and you exposure yourself to gain confidence. You'll learn it can't hurt you but like any exposure work it can be a mix of "yes, I can do It!" and "oh no, now I feel bad, what is this, will it happen again?"

Then there is the question of whether it helps your anxiety disorder decrease. The science is positive and you will only add to your confidence and self worth through it. Looking at it as a cure though is less positive although it's always a possibility. But you aren't doing this so anyway so you will only gain in the positives.

So, does exercise cause issues with your anxiety? My therapist had me doing sprints and watching my body until I learned it wasn't going to kill me just because my breathing increased. Surprisingly I learnt it quite quickly.

You have done really well so far. That's a lot of weight to lose. Also don't forget that whilst you may be carrying extra weight your cardiovascular system can be healthier than someone who is slim yet gets little exercise. Your lung capacity will have increased. Plus you will have hardened your body to stress in general which is a very good thing.

Have you also looked at what you are eating? I know we all talked about this on another thread. If you can sub some less healthy stuff for more protein to keep you full longer or replace some sugar it will only be helpful.

It is frustrating. Since being diagnosed with hypertension I've lost about 15-20 pounds whilst gaining at least a stone in muscle. The muscle didn't come quick bit in over a year I am much bigger everywhere. I really need to get back into weight training but, and you're a gardener so you will fully understand this, I've done a lot of manual labouring for my dad. Anything he's needed doing, I've done. I've also done it the hard way and removed most work with machines. Many times he's asked why do it the long way and I've said it's good exercise for me.

So, I've done plenty of heavy lifting of tubs of soil (want to make it much heavier? Fill it with water instead), been doing lots of digging, plenty of sawing and carrying wood/rubble/rocks. To help out someone I know with a coal fire during lockdown I got myself along one of the A roads collecting, lugging and sawing up a few of 40lb sacks at a time then carrying them home half a mile.

That's all working for me along with a good amount of protein. I've found spreading that over the day in smaller batches works best for me rather than large amounts in fewer hits.

I've knocked off over 3 inches around the waist and added some inches around each of my chest (2), arms (1.5) and legs (3). Still a way to go but I'm in a plateau too so it's more cardio and proper weight training for me from here.

Phill2
30-07-20, 09:26
The bit that gets me is when I had the attack I broke out in a severe sweat.
Ever since sweating freaks me.

fishman65
31-07-20, 23:17
Hi folks, I've been meaning to respond to your very helpful posts but life has got in the way in the form of car trouble. Happily I can say its all resolved now, the exhaust was blocked with all sorts of debris, causing fumes to back-up into the engine and leading to performance issues. I really hate car repair shops with their macho atmospheres where I feel it vitally important to hide any suspicion they may have that I'm 'odd'.

Anyway, Phill I think you're getting me mixed up with fishmanpa. I've no heart issues that I'm aware of though that can change of course. Joe and Terry, your answers are comprehensive and I might well print them out, and thank you both for your kind words. I'm 6ft 3 and quite big boned so can probably get away with carrying some weight, at least to a degree but being 23st or so I just had to take action. But yes anxiety can be triggered when I exercise, I suppose its stimulation of any kind that feels the same but has its origins elsewhere. An example is jelly legs after riding the exercise bike, however this has disappeared in the last month or so and can only put it down to increased leg muscle. That said I still exercise when I think we have nobody calling, with the lockdown and restricted visiting that's proven helpful.

Joe, I time myself at a minimum of 20 minutes on the bike though its normally higher and up to 30 mins. I start with a low setting on the resistance dial and then gradually increase until I'm pedalling up what feels like a steep hill. When I started in March I couldn't even move the pedals on the highest setting, now I can manage it quite well and don't get the jelly legs. This I do every other day, I did buy a bike in April but found it a less intensive ride.

I'm using a calorie counting app called Nutracheck. You just enter whatever you eat and it gives you the calorie content. The app does all the maths and tells you what you have left in a 24 hour period. I start the day with porridge, then lunch is normally fruit (apple, orange, banana). Dinner is normally no-added sugar baked beans on two slices of toast (wholemeal) and probably a tin of tuna. Then in the evening have a bag of mixed salad especially rocket, spinach and watercress. Sometimes mixed nuts and more fruit.

Phill2
01-08-20, 01:43
Thanks for the reply.
I did have you mixed up FMP

ankietyjoe
01-08-20, 13:42
I'm using a calorie counting app called Nutracheck. You just enter whatever you eat and it gives you the calorie content. The app does all the maths and tells you what you have left in a 24 hour period. I start the day with porridge, then lunch is normally fruit (apple, orange, banana). Dinner is normally no-added sugar baked beans on two slices of toast (wholemeal) and probably a tin of tuna. Then in the evening have a bag of mixed salad especially rocket, spinach and watercress. Sometimes mixed nuts and more fruit.

What's your eating window? When do you start eating in the day, and when do you stop?

WiredIncorrectly
01-08-20, 18:22
I've been exercising in some shape or form since my teens, but the past 3 I've had a weight bench, olympic bar, and free weights in my kitchen. I use it daily (almost). I've had anxiety before, during, and after. Regardless of whether I'm running 5k, or lifting heavy weights. If it's a bad day for anxiety, then that's just it. I don't think the exercise contributes to anxiety because I tend to think anxiety is a mental thing as opposed to an imaginary fear of doom.

The worst anxiety attack I had was on the way back from cycling 30 miles. I got to my destination and had nothing but a banana in my bag and left my wallet at home. I was so hungry. My water ran out and it was baking hot. The entire ride back alone was hell. When I got home I just collapsed on the bed, drank a lot of water, and had a 5 hour panic attack wondering why my heart is still pounding. 3 days later I did the same again, but was better prepared with food.

Many with exercise related anxiety have a health fear of some kind that triggers. Mine is having a heart attack. When we exercise the heart rate increases, we sweat, we get out of breath. All are symptoms of a something disastrous, so for long time panic sufferers I think we tend to subconsciously link those triggers.

It's hard to push through anxiety during exercise. But the exercise is fantastic for you and keep going with it regardless of the anxiety.

I don't count calories. I don't watch what I eat. I eat when hungry and eat what I like, and fast once a week. I've got very little fat on me now and a great physique. It's taken me 3 years of daily workouts to get this far. I do short explosive workouts all throughout the day. 1 workout will take about 15 minutes, and I do that 6 to 8 times. I'm mostly a hermit so I make up my daily exercise that way. I do go for walks with my camera though so I'm not entirely sat in the house; I just spend more time in it than most.

I treat exercise as just something I do every day; like pooping, peeing or making a cup of tea :roflmao: ... if I don't do it I'm bone idle. And I'm not that. But I sit at a computer most of day. Stereotypical programmers are overweight. I've managed to avoid that and have been conscious of it all my life.

I wasn't always like this. 4 years ago I was 16 stone, had bad acne, drank a lot, oily skin, blah blah. Quitting the alcohol and eating only when I'm hungry has served me well. The fasting is the icing on the cake.

Jumping rope is cool too, but if I'm focusing on building muscle I lessen the cardio. Cardio is great for the cardiovascular system, but believe it or not so is lifting weight. It's just got a bad rap because body builders go silly with steroids and end up having heart attacks very young.

fishman65
01-08-20, 21:03
What's your eating window? When do you start eating in the day, and when do you stop?OK Joe, porridge I have for breakfast, 100 grams with milk, no sugar. That's normally 8 or so in the morning. The lunch is, well lunchtime? :D Dinner is 6ish and any calories I have left over I can use up or let go. But I've cut out all food in between, that's where I was going wrong. Today we had a Chinese takeaway that has blown the calories into orbit so will start again tomorrow.

The big challenge is keeping to this when life gets rough and with a wife who has so many ailments, the rough outweighs the smooth. Wired, you've done brilliantly, well done on sticking with it. I do agree that exercise has a limited benefit as regards mental health. If there is some, its directly after vigorous exercise with me, but temporary. If there is some external factor causing anxiety then that hasn't magically vanished because I've worked out.

WiredIncorrectly
01-08-20, 23:41
The big challenge is keeping to this when life gets rough and with a wife who has so many ailments

Just focus on getting your exercise in. Diets and change in food habbits are hard. A lot of people slip up and think "omg I failed there's no point in doing this". That's just perspective. In reality exercising daily, and eating what you want is better than failing and giving up on exercise.

Give yourself 30 minutes a day, you deserve that even if you have other issues in life to attend to.

There's no need to start again. You're on the journey. Sometimes you fall over. Sometimes you think you've fell over even when you haven't. Keep the focus on the exercise and less on the food (unless medical advice differs). My brother has done keto so many times I've lost count. He'll then quickly slip backwards and give up on the gym. It's a constant cycle for him and I've tried with all my might to give him the advice I learned in prison.

You know, in prison they have a football team (and a rugby team in another). The players are offered no special treatment for playing in the team except they get to train. No special food, or no extra food. You're limited to prison garbage (and it really was that; except on Saturdays we had a fried breakfast which was amazing. If you smoked you got to trade a cigarette for an entire breakfast).

But, these folks who played on the pitch against real outside teams were fit. Their endurance was that of Sunday league players. Pretty fit. A handful were lifers been in jail a very long time. Their physique and endurance was peak. And that taught me one thing ... the majority of it is in your brain. Locked in a tiny cell for 23 hours a day with limited (if any) gym access. You make do with what you have and most of it is body weight.

Tuna, sardines and noodles were available on the cantine. We'd mix them together and get them down. They provided protein and calories.

I have zero focus on food anymore. I let the science keep talking; but what I've seen with my own eyes contradicts science.

Rambling on now sorry. Just keep going.

pulisa
02-08-20, 08:24
It doesn't have to be complicated, Fishman. Just 30 mins of exercise a day as Wired says..Brisk walking will do it.

You've done really well.

ankietyjoe
02-08-20, 12:07
OK Joe, porridge I have for breakfast, 100 grams with milk, no sugar. That's normally 8 or so in the morning. The lunch is, well lunchtime? :D Dinner is 6ish and any calories I have left over I can use up or let go. But I've cut out all food in between, that's where I was going wrong. Today we had a Chinese takeaway that has blown the calories into orbit so will start again tomorrow.

The big challenge is keeping to this when life gets rough and with a wife who has so many ailments, the rough outweighs the smooth. Wired, you've done brilliantly, well done on sticking with it. I do agree that exercise has a limited benefit as regards mental health. If there is some, its directly after vigorous exercise with me, but temporary. If there is some external factor causing anxiety then that hasn't magically vanished because I've worked out.

Don't underestimate just how stressful it is living with somebody who's not well. My partner also has significant health issues (mental health) and the stress is unreal sometimes. Pulisa gets this too. Exercise is going to be benefiting you both physically and mentally, but it's not a magic bullet to negate long term, low level stress. It's just one ingredient.

In terms of eating, my observation is that you're eating very high carb all day long. Losing weight is as much about reducing insulin as it is sticking to calorie levels. The key for you is probably reducing your eating window. For example I (and others here) will often fast for 16-18 hours per day, meaning that you are operating in an almost zero insulin state. There is plenty of information on the internet about this, but as long as insulin is present in your system, your body won't let go of fat. The flip side of this is that if you're consuming carbs all day (cereal, porridge, toast, fruit etc) you're triggering insulin all day and therefore your body takes energy directly from the food you're eating rather than your stored energy (fat).

It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that we have been given the 'eat little and often' mantra for decades, and it's not actually very good for us. It's a marketing line, not a health tip.

I would suggest trying to skip breakfast and just eat lunch and dinner for a week and see what happens. Keep your eating window to 8 hours a day, and try and lower the amount of carbs you're eating. Despite having health benefits, fruit triggers insulin a lot. Replace it with protein and/or fat where you can. For example, start your day with scrambled egg, avocado and a couple of bits of bacon.

RainbowGirl
02-08-20, 14:03
Exercise outdoors helps my anxiety but for a strange reason it doesn't help when I exercise inside. A strange one.

ankietyjoe
02-08-20, 14:15
Exercise outdoors helps my anxiety but for a strange reason it doesn't help when I exercise inside. A strange one.

Daylight, probably.

pulisa
02-08-20, 14:18
Exercise has the potential to be addictive too..Best to aim for the take it or leave it approach.

fishman65
02-08-20, 20:54
Wired - thanks buddy for your input. Strangely enough I've lost 2.25lbs since Wednesday and that's after expecting to have put some on, especially after last night's Chinese meal.

Pulisa - thank you, I've kept up the brisk walking while supplementing with the exercise bike.

Joe - yes I remember you saying before about your partner, I'm very sorry to hear it causes you anxiety too. Yep I know a fair bit about Pulisa's situation, she's a fighter for sure despite her challenging circumstances. But Joe, please don't take my porridge away from me. It's one of the very few pleasures life has left for me. I just love it, made with milk so its sloppy, nothing else added. Could I skip lunch instead?

Seriously though (well I AM serious about the porridge), shouldn't we have fibre in our diet? I get a lot of fibre particularly eating those mixed bags of rocket, spinach and watercress. Also kiwi fruits with the skin still on. Eggs I can eat for sure, maybe replace the beans on toast with them? But thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

RainbowGirl - I've realised that walking around town is better for me in a social anxiety sense than doing intense cardio on the exercise bike here at home. It's the simple things like holding a conversation with an acquaintance or nipping into a shop. What is the saying about the loneliness of the long distance runner? I should find someone to walk with but my friends are all long gone, marriage can do that.

pulisa
02-08-20, 21:33
Porridge is an excellent food source-great for cholesterol too and very filling. It will cut all the urges for mid morning snacks and fill you up.

Kiwis are great for vitamin C-I have 2 a day and I consider them my weapon against Corona!:D Fibre is good for you and protects against BC. The lower sugar baked beans are a good choice.

Do you like fish? I eat a lot of canned sardines-cheap and cheerful! Blueberries are meant to be a superfood so I eat a lot of these too.

I'd find doing intense cardio on a bike extremely boring and would far rather walk for exercise but that's just me...I think you're doing very well with your current regime.

ankietyjoe
03-08-20, 01:26
Joe - yes I remember you saying before about your partner, I'm very sorry to hear it causes you anxiety too. Yep I know a fair bit about Pulisa's situation, she's a fighter for sure despite her challenging circumstances. But Joe, please don't take my porridge away from me. It's one of the very few pleasures life has left for me. I just love it, made with milk so its sloppy, nothing else added. Could I skip lunch instead?

I'm not suggesting you stop eating porridge or carbs all together. I'm just pointing out that it looks like you're eating carbs all day long, which will make it incredibly difficult to keep losing weight. This is a specific tip for the plateau you've reached.

It's no good skipping lunch because as soon as you eat, insulin is spiked. The idea is to be in a 'fasted' state for as long as possible.

A good compromise for now might be to eat breakfast an hour later (if you can) and then have an evening meal consisting only of protein and fat, with as little carbs as possible (side salads and non root vegetables are fine though). Some people are better at fasting later in the day, some earlier in the day. Personally I'm fine not eating until 3pm most days, but you might find it easier to still have breakfast and stop eating earlier in the evening. It's really up to you.

fishman65
21-10-20, 20:28
OK I thought I might return to this thread as my weight is now 16st 7.25lbs. The diet app is still proving useful but I feel the exercise bike is maxed out. The highest setting has become much easier to the point where its become my default, though am doing short sprints on lower setting too. The bike is quite old now, we had it second hand about 10 years ago. Its a BC1510 'Body Sculpture' if that means anything. Any advice on a good exercise bike? Many thanks in advance.

Oh yes, biceps. I'm lifting large plastic bottles of water weighing 12lbs each, 20 times on each arm. Have been looking at dumbbells online. Are they worth it?

ankietyjoe
21-10-20, 22:03
OK I thought I might return to this thread as my weight is now 16st 7.25lbs. The diet app is still proving useful but I feel the exercise bike is maxed out. The highest setting has become much easier to the point where its become my default, though am doing short sprints on lower setting too. The bike is quite old now, we had it second hand about 10 years ago. Its a BC1510 'Body Sculpture' if that means anything. Any advice on a good exercise bike? Many thanks in advance.

Oh yes, biceps. I'm lifting large plastic bottles of water weighing 12lbs each, 20 times on each arm. Have been looking at dumbbells online. Are they worth it?

Big kudos to the progress :)

To answer the dumbells question, a wholehearted yes. I would go as far as to suggest that a basic inclining bench and a set of cast metal dumbbells open up the possibility of dozens of different exercises that are difficult to do otherwise. Doesn't have to be expensive, or heavy. Weight training can be approached with exposure in mind. You can do either heavy and short, or light and long (snigger). Either one will give you similar results, although using low weights for high reps means you're 'in pain' for longer ;)

These are a surprisingly good starter set of dumbbells -

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6016160

And this would be a good starter bench -

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7923104?clickSR=slp:term:weight%20bench:1:12:1

Argos seems to be better for this kind of inexpensive kit than anywhere else I've found, but if you progressed on to much heavier weights the first thing I'd do is get a sturdier bench.

In terms of exercise bikes, you might find walking to be just as effective and definitely scaleable. The added bonus of being outside can't hurt either. I've found that good cardio equipment can get very expensive, very fast.

WiredIncorrectly
21-10-20, 22:46
Agreed with Joe. Dumbells are well worth it, as is a decent bench and olympic bar. I've been exercising from home for a couple of years now and it definitely helps the anxiety and is great for the physique.

I can link to my setup but it cost close to 800. Having a sturdy bench was the most important thing to me. It inclines, declines, you can do shoulder and military press on it but I do those standing up anyway. The cheaper benches wobble about and it's no good so I got it from a gym supplier.

Great progress though. You must have put in some work on that bike!

ankietyjoe
21-10-20, 22:49
Yeah I think the cheaper 'wobbly' benches are useable if you're holding less than 20kg per arm. It's not the risk of collapse that's the issue (as that's unlikely), it's the risk of injury as you compensate for movement while holding something heavier.

fishman65
21-10-20, 23:20
Thanks guys that's a lot of useful info. I'll definitely look into those dumbbells and bench but not quite yet as we are behind with the rent :blush:

The plastic bottle is ok weight-wise (gets my arm aching) but with a plastic strap I can see that breaking and ending up causing myself injury. Do you guys do press ups/sit ups? I want to lose some more weight yet before press ups because I'm lifting more LOL.

I remember years ago a mate of mine was really into weight lifting. He had all the gear so I had a go but couldn't even raise the bar out of its holder?/brackets? But that was a period where all I lifted was pints of beer.

Thanks to you both, yeah the cycling I increased to every day rather than every other. 30 mins minimum, high resistance. Its when the sweat's pouring off me and I'm swearing that I know I'm doing it right. Sticking to the calorie limit too. Exercise does get addictive doesn't it.

ankietyjoe
22-10-20, 08:25
Thanks guys that's a lot of useful info. I'll definitely look into those dumbbells and bench but not quite yet as we are behind with the rent :blush:

The plastic bottle is ok weight-wise (gets my arm aching) but with a plastic strap I can see that breaking and ending up causing myself injury. Do you guys do press ups/sit ups? I want to lose some more weight yet before press ups because I'm lifting more LOL.

I remember years ago a mate of mine was really into weight lifting. He had all the gear so I had a go but couldn't even raise the bar out of its holder?/brackets? But that was a period where all I lifted was pints of beer.

Thanks to you both, yeah the cycling I increased to every day rather than every other. 30 mins minimum, high resistance. Its when the sweat's pouring off me and I'm swearing that I know I'm doing it right. Sticking to the calorie limit too. Exercise does get addictive doesn't it.

I wouldn't focus on lifting bigger weights to start with. It's actually the joints and tendons that will need strengthening more than the actual muscles, so don't worry about not being able to lift your mates weight!

And yes, push ups are a great idea but you can start by using your knees as the lever point, not your feet. Much easier to do to start with. You could also do some planks on the ground, and some 'pull ups' under a table. It's a good idea to combine both 'push' and 'pull' exercises to keep things balanced. Like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0eEoqSoOc&ab_channel=FitnessNoobs

WiredIncorrectly
22-10-20, 13:23
I've never seen table pullups but I'm definitely giving these a go!

ankietyjoe
22-10-20, 13:51
I've never seen table pullups but I'm definitely giving these a go!

J, I have some of these at home too and they're fantastic. Not strictly necessary, but also a bit of a bargain for the use you can get out of them. Can do lots of different kinds of floor based pulling exercises, but also dips too.

Sorry, I could do dips on them if I didn't weight 200lbs......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K4BC7S1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WiredIncorrectly
22-10-20, 17:44
J, I have some of these at home too and they're fantastic. Not strictly necessary, but also a bit of a bargain for the use you can get out of them. Can do lots of different kinds of floor based pulling exercises, but also dips too.

Sorry, I could do dips on them if I didn't weight 200lbs......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K4BC7S1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh these look very good. I didn't know they existed if I'm honest. The only ones I seen were the ones they have at the gym but they're so expensive. These look a decent price. Are they sturdy when doing dips?

Just placed them in basket for next payday :yesyes: so long as they're sturdy these look like a good health investment.

How tall are you. You're weight isn't that bad. I'm about a stone lighter than you but I stopped weighting myself because of OCD reasons. I've been a bit lazy since having that flu. This past week I've been getting active again. It's strange though because I can not tough any weight for 2 weeks, and I can come back to them being able to lift the same weight.

I'm not lifting that much. 60kg on bench press. 15kg curls. 30kg military press. But it keeps me healthy and fit.

ankietyjoe
22-10-20, 18:08
Oh these look very good. I didn't know they existed if I'm honest. The only ones I seen were the ones they have at the gym but they're so expensive. These look a decent price. Are they sturdy when doing dips?

Just placed them in basket for next payday :yesyes: so long as they're sturdy these look like a good health investment.

How tall are you. You're weight isn't that bad. I'm about a stone lighter than you but I stopped weighting myself because of OCD reasons. I've been a bit lazy since having that flu. This past week I've been getting active again. It's strange though because I can not tough any weight for 2 weeks, and I can come back to them being able to lift the same weight.

I'm lifting that much. 60kg on bench press. 15kg curls. 30kg military press. But it keeps me healthy and fit.

Solid AF dude, it's steel tubing and could take twice my weight.

I'm only about 5'10", so really a good couple of stone overweight, although I have a genuinely heavy frame. My BMI showed as obese at around 10% body fat (long time ago).

You won't lose any strength in two weeks. That's bro science talking. If anything, your tendons have had a chance to repair and rest fully so you're probably a little stronger if anything.

WiredIncorrectly
22-10-20, 18:49
Solid AF dude, it's steel tubing and could take twice my weight.

I'm only about 5'10", so really a good couple of stone overweight, although I have a genuinely heavy frame. My BMI showed as obese at around 10% body fat (long time ago).

You won't lose any strength in two weeks. That's bro science talking. If anything, your tendons have had a chance to repair and rest fully so you're probably a little stronger if anything.

Ah, you're a bit smaller. Smaller people tend to pack on muscle pretty rapidly from what I've noticed. Not sure if there's a science there. My partner is on the small side and she gains weight very quickly when she eats junk. Are you eating junk over there Mr. Joe? I'm guilty of it recently. I've done a fair but of comfort eating.

People in prisons have long rest gaps because it's hard to get gym access. Once a week if you're lucky in the B cat prisons. But there's lifers in there who are very big in size. I always wondered how they managed to gain that size with little gym access, and crap prison food. I wonder if the resting actually has benefits now. One thing is for sure, you don't need to eat healthy to look good.

Talking of which there's a builder on Youtube who does mad challenges like eating cereal for a whole week. Or Doughnuts for a week. Cuts out normal food and replaces it with something crazy. The guy is built like a tank. I'll see if I can find it. Would be interesting to see what his bloods are.

MyNameIsTerry
23-10-20, 08:36
The table pull up is a home version of the Australian pull up. If you have cables (like Olympic rings) you can do it from those. They are a good assisted version until you are ready for standard pull ups.

Push ups are good for us older guys as we lose it around the chest. The back gets plenty of work if you have a manual job but little requires the chest in a powerful way. Shoulders too.

Do the push ups on your knees until you are ready. Reduce the weight. Also do vertical ones in a door frame.

Dips are excellent for chest but hard for the same reasons as the pull up (just the opposite plane). But you just create an assisted version whether less range of motion with your heels on the ground and something raising the starting position of your hands behind you (sitting on floor, hands next to or behind the body on some books), even something like lowering yourself from a bath or table. It will all get you closer to the full version. You could even add weight to the assisted version e.g. backpack with weight in.

It will add up. You don't need to be deadlifting massive weight unless you want big & strong. You can achieve enough just through more stress on the body to increase some size if you don't want more.

Dumbbells are good. They are harder work than barbell because you can't hide. Your imbalances will show. But that's a good thing as it will focus more on them than the stronger side compensating. You will have to focus more on form because you just won't have the extra power a 2 handed lift has due to how you can try to power through. With dumbbells too heavy shows more easily.

ankietyjoe
23-10-20, 09:01
Ah, you're a bit smaller. Smaller people tend to pack on muscle pretty rapidly from what I've noticed. Not sure if there's a science there. My partner is on the small side and she gains weight very quickly when she eats junk. Are you eating junk over there Mr. Joe? I'm guilty of it recently. I've done a fair but of comfort eating.

People in prisons have long rest gaps because it's hard to get gym access. Once a week if you're lucky in the B cat prisons. But there's lifers in there who are very big in size. I always wondered how they managed to gain that size with little gym access, and crap prison food. I wonder if the resting actually has benefits now. One thing is for sure, you don't need to eat healthy to look good.

Talking of which there's a builder on Youtube who does mad challenges like eating cereal for a whole week. Or Doughnuts for a week. Cuts out normal food and replaces it with something crazy. The guy is built like a tank. I'll see if I can find it. Would be interesting to see what his bloods are.

I think you mean Matt Does Fitness? He's a (exceptionally successful) Youtube clown, but I wouldn't believe everything you see in his 'what I eat' videos. And even if you do, there's a finite limit to what his body will take before it starts to collapse due to a lack of real nutrition. He's still young enough to get away with it, but we all know the damage that is done over time adds up.

Personally I eat a 90% freak health diet, but dip into junk food a couple of times a week. My diet is mostly organic green juices, 10-15 portions of veg per day, nuts and seeds, some fruit and the highest quality meats I can practically spend money on. Of course I'd love to eat wild caught salmon all the time, but at £40/kilo....no. Then other days I'll order a Dominos :yesyes:

My own weight 'problem' started when my real stress began about ten years ago and I didn't pay enough attention to what I ate, or how much I moved around. The flip side of the problem is that my frame is very big, I have big shoulders, I still have high muscle mass considering my age and activity level and even when I'm 3 stone overweight I don't look fat, so I never really felt the need to do anything about it. The ongoing stress levels meant that if I did try and exercise too much, my body would kick my ass into submission, so I have to take it easy. That's fine. I can still bench over 100kg for reps, but if I do I can literally feel the cortisol ramp up over the next few hours, so I don't. It's frustrating, but I've accepted where I am for now. Oh, and deadlifts are a big no no unless I keep reps low and use practically no weight.

In terms of the diet though, I can't stress enough just what a difference it makes to your mental health and ability to recover from stress.

It will add up. You don't need to be deadlifting massive weight unless you want big & strong. You can achieve enough just through more stress on the body to increase some size if you don't want more.

Dumbbells are good. They are harder work than barbell because you can't hide. Your imbalances will show. But that's a good thing as it will focus more on them than the stronger side compensating. You will have to focus more on form because you just won't have the extra power a 2 handed lift has due to how you can try to power through. With dumbbells too heavy shows more easily.

Much truth here. Dumbells are the best way to train overall in my opinion, and it doesn't need to be heavy.

I would actually focus more on functional training (the new buzzword) where larger compound movements are used, and bigger groups of muscles are activated. I spent a lot of time in the gym in my early 20's, but the largest I ever got was working on building sites in my mid/late 30s for a couple of years. I packed on so much muscle then and I was freakishly strong. It's just because you're activating muscle all day. I miss those days lol, some days now I don't feel strong enough to sit upright :doh:

fishman65
23-10-20, 21:00
I feel a little out of my depth listening to you guys. I'm 55 now so its a bit late in the day to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. However I have never really wanted to, even when I was 19 while working on a building site and doing 70 press ups, 70 sit ups and 30 chin ups every evening. The latter off the roof beam in my Dad's conservatory, he never knew though as it wasn't designed for that :blush:

Anyway fitness will do me fine and I've got some of that back already in my legs and cardiovascular. The steep road I walk up still with our black lab, 2 years ago I was like a beached whale reaching the top. Now it barely raises my breathing. Anyway I've looked on local FB groups and I'm picking up a bull worker and this other thing, can't remember its name. I did own a bull worker when I was a teenager plus chest springs but this one is different. But its a healthy weight I'm after, I want to get to 15st which is about right for my frame being 6ft 3.

ankietyjoe
23-10-20, 23:58
I feel a little out of my depth listening to you guys. I'm 55 now so its a bit late in the day to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. However I have never really wanted to, even when I was 19 while working on a building site and doing 70 press ups, 70 sit ups and 30 chin ups every evening. The latter off the roof beam in my Dad's conservatory, he never knew though as it wasn't designed for that :blush:

Anyway fitness will do me fine and I've got some of that back already in my legs and cardiovascular. The steep road I walk up still with our black lab, 2 years ago I was like a beached whale reaching the top. Now it barely raises my breathing. Anyway I've looked on local FB groups and I'm picking up a bull worker and this other thing, can't remember its name. I did own a bull worker when I was a teenager plus chest springs but this one is different. But its a healthy weight I'm after, I want to get to 15st which is about right for my frame being 6ft 3.

I'm only a few years behind you dude, I'm 49 now. There's no such thing as too late, and I doubt I could relive my 'glory days' now no matter how hard I tried, but you can achieve significant increases in fitness and strength at any age. You've already described your own improvements, so just work on those.

fishman65
24-10-20, 19:28
I'm only a few years behind you dude, I'm 49 now. There's no such thing as too late, and I doubt I could relive my 'glory days' now no matter how hard I tried, but you can achieve significant increases in fitness and strength at any age. You've already described your own improvements, so just work on those.Thanks Joe, I picked up a bull worker and chin-up bar today, plus a strange looking contraption that is supposed to tone your abdominal muscles. 16st 4.5lbs today so the bike work is paying off.

pulisa
24-10-20, 19:50
Arnie's in hospital recovering from heart surgery..He doesn't look so good at the moment.

You've done really well, Fishman. Everything in moderation.

fishman65
25-10-20, 20:33
Thanks Pulisa. I didn't know that about Arnie though but I suppose he must be knocking on a bit now.

ankietyjoe
26-10-20, 13:27
Steroids, plain and simple. Always messes up the heart eventually.

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-20, 15:52
I had a bullworker. I'm not sure if it increased by BS output rate though :whistles:

fishman65
29-10-20, 18:20
I have an emergency guys. My exercise bike pulley/strap has broken. Its an old model that we got second hand so its done well. I do have a traditional bike but I can never get the same degree of intensity and then with the winter on its way. Any tips on leg strength/cardio while trying to sort a replacement?

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-20, 09:00
Wear ankle weights on your less intensive cycle to boost intensity.

Jump rope.

Stair climbing with some weight in a backpack.

As you are a keen gardener I'll bet you have a tub 40l+. Fill it with soil and carry it around. If you really want to make it heavy fill it with water which is far more dense so 1l will equal 1kg. Something like a farmers walk will get your heart up and tax your leg and back.

Ballistic movements like box jumping if your knees are ok. If it's too easy add weight so it becomes hypergravity training.

fishman65
30-10-20, 19:21
Did you study sports science Terry? I never knew there was so much to it. I'll bear those ideas in mind, thank you. I've located a second hand exercise bike. It's an Opti bike and cross trainer combined, I pick it up tomorrow. I never realised my anxiety would kick off so much over not having a bike. Its not like I'm going to lose fitness overnight.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-20, 02:06
No, but I've done a fair bit of reading as you tend to when you lift weights. It's a massive industry with new things coming all the time.

Eddie Hall goes to the same fish & chip shop as my GF if that counts? https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sport/t31064.gif

ankietyjoe
31-10-20, 12:08
I have an emergency guys. My exercise bike pulley/strap has broken. Its an old model that we got second hand so its done well. I do have a traditional bike but I can never get the same degree of intensity and then with the winter on its way. Any tips on leg strength/cardio while trying to sort a replacement?

Brisk walking and body weight squats is all you need tbh. Exercise has become overly complicated imo.

You could look at some basic HIIT training videos too, anything like star jumps or burpees will destroy you fast :yesyes:

Carnation
31-10-20, 12:13
I agree with you ankietyjoe on both points.

fishman65
31-10-20, 15:28
No, but I've done a fair bit of reading as you tend to when you lift weights. It's a massive industry with new things coming all the time.

Eddie Hall goes to the same fish & chip shop as my GF if that counts? https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sport/t31064.gifYou'll have to enlighten me on who Eddie Hall is Terry :blush: OK I've got the cross trainer/exercise bike combination but I'm not overly impressed. I've had to up the resistance to maximum to feel my lungs are being tested and even then I have to pedal like crazy. Its not like riding a bike, more like wading through treacle. And those footplate thingys, it feels like the machine is controlling me rather than the other way round. Doing sprints is possible on lower resistance but the whole thing rattles like the London underground. And I took the handle bars off before someone was killed. So I feel that's 80 quid chucked away.

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-20, 13:04
You'll have to enlighten me on who Eddie Hall is Terry :blush: OK I've got the cross trainer/exercise bike combination but I'm not overly impressed. I've had to up the resistance to maximum to feel my lungs are being tested and even then I have to pedal like crazy. Its not like riding a bike, more like wading through treacle. And those footplate thingys, it feels like the machine is controlling me rather than the other way round. Doing sprints is possible on lower resistance but the whole thing rattles like the London underground. And I took the handle bars off before someone was killed. So I feel that's 80 quid chucked away.

Yes, they aren't easy to get speed up on. Running on them will take some practice so your feet don't come out. Do they have foot straps? Cycling in those things feels very different.

You can up the intensity by adding weight to your body for walking. Through on a backpack with stuff in. Or hold weights in your hands if you are swinging them rather than using the poles.

Eddie Hall won Worlds Strongest Man in recent years. Been competing for years. Comes from my area.

fishman65
01-11-20, 20:50
Yes, they aren't easy to get speed up on. Running on them will take some practice so your feet don't come out. Do they have foot straps? Cycling in those things feels very different.

You can up the intensity by adding weight to your body for walking. Through on a backpack with stuff in. Or hold weights in your hands if you are swinging them rather than using the poles.

Eddie Hall won Worlds Strongest Man in recent years. Been competing for years. Comes from my area.Thanks for all your advice Terry, I do appreciate it. I have a rucksack somewhere so will find something to put in it. The footplates don't have any straps. It does feel a lot different to a bike but today I reattached the handle bars as they add a bit more weight for me to pedal. So on max resistance its a bit more testing, not as much as a proper exercise bike but getting there. It will do for now until I can get another bike. I did 10 sit-ups last night and it nearly killed me LOL. Haven't done any for years but trying to make these things a habit.

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-20, 02:41
Is it tensioner based on your weight? If not adding a rucksack whilst sitting won't do anything but it will do plenty if standing. Even more if you have an angle setting for the front. You could also create an incline with objects as long as it's safe which will make walking harder.

Have a look at crunches. Sit ups put stress on the joint but crunches don't and keep your top four abs under pressure more. Also place your hands against your temples (I always make fists) as it will stop your pulling with your arms when things get hard to cheat.

Leg raises will work the lower abs. They are hard though but if you struggle start with legs raised on books or don't raise as high to provide an assist until you can.

Ab exercises are versatile. You can combine them, add twists or go full on Rocky with added angles e.g. an abdo board so you are stretched and hanging (think Rocky 5 hanging off the upstairs floor). Also things like bear crawls might be easy.

The same with your push ups. You can add height with stands or books. There are variations like dive bombers. Hand position variations e.g. triangle, fists...or the Bruce Lee finger push up.

I've got a bodyweight exercise book written by a former US rescue diver and drill instructor with tons of exercises in like these but there is plenty online.

fishman65
03-11-20, 23:20
Is it tensioner based on your weight? If not adding a rucksack whilst sitting won't do anything but it will do plenty if standing. Even more if you have an angle setting for the front. You could also create an incline with objects as long as it's safe which will make walking harder.

Have a look at crunches. Sit ups put stress on the joint but crunches don't and keep your top four abs under pressure more. Also place your hands against your temples (I always make fists) as it will stop your pulling with your arms when things get hard to cheat.

Leg raises will work the lower abs. They are hard though but if you struggle start with legs raised on books or don't raise as high to provide an assist until you can.

Ab exercises are versatile. You can combine them, add twists or go full on Rocky with added angles e.g. an abdo board so you are stretched and hanging (think Rocky 5 hanging off the upstairs floor). Also things like bear crawls might be easy.

The same with your push ups. You can add height with stands or books. There are variations like dive bombers. Hand position variations e.g. triangle, fists...or the Bruce Lee finger push up.

I've got a bodyweight exercise book written by a former US rescue diver and drill instructor with tons of exercises in like these but there is plenty online.Thanks for all this info Terry. I did find a rucksack which I filled with books. I considered bricks but the rucksack would be unlikely to take the weight, or me for that matter. Also doing crunches after looking on youtube.

OK one big issue for me when it comes to hands/arms/upper body workouts is that it really triggers my anxiety. I have an obsession with my hands shaking/people seeing it. I think that's why I was concentrating on lower body and cardio while avoiding upper body. So avoiding the trigger. My solution is to do upper body late at night. I don't know what the answer is here other than my body adapting to the workload. Did you get this kind of reaction?

fishman65
04-11-20, 17:52
Well that's the end of the cross trainer, the belt has snapped just like the exercise bike. The real bike will have to be dragged out of the shed.

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-20, 05:55
Well that's the end of the cross trainer, the belt has snapped just like the exercise bike. The real bike will have to be dragged out of the shed.

Wasn't it new?

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-20, 08:20
Thanks for all this info Terry. I did find a rucksack which I filled with books. I considered bricks but the rucksack would be unlikely to take the weight, or me for that matter. Also doing crunches after looking on youtube.

OK one big issue for me when it comes to hands/arms/upper body workouts is that it really triggers my anxiety. I have an obsession with my hands shaking/people seeing it. I think that's why I was concentrating on lower body and cardio while avoiding upper body. So avoiding the trigger. My solution is to do upper body late at night. I don't know what the answer is here other than my body adapting to the workload. Did you get this kind of reaction?

Is the shaking visible or something you just feel? I'm wondering if it's just muscle weakness. That might go as you strengthen any weaknesses. I get this with my arms but it can happen in other muscles.

Doing it at night is a start. Getting over that is going to mean some exposure work to prove to yourself it doesn't matter what people see.

Why does it bother you? You've mentioned it before but I can't remember what you explained. I have anxiety over workouts too but more the muscle pain that sets me off.

fishman65
05-11-20, 15:43
Hi Terry. I don't think the shaking is visible but anxiety tells me it is. Though as you say, I'm hoping as my arms and shoulders adapt it will lessen. Appearing to shake or tremble in front of people is a long running obsession for me, its the anxiety symptom I fear most. I don't know why because nobody has ever said anything so it can't be noticeable. Thinking now I'm wondering if it goes back to school where I had unpleasant episodes of having to read out loud in English lessons.

Anyway the cross trainer was second hand but had little use from what the lady said. And I believed her as it was in good condition. However on youtube a fitness fanatic was saying some exercise machines seem designed for light and sporadic use but can't handle being put through their paces regularly. He had a Reebok exercise bike fail after just a month. With this cross trainer, I was having to hammer it to get me puffing. But in all honesty I think cross trainers just don't give you the cardio workout that exercise bikes do. Yes they tone your upper body but I've got the bull worker etc for that. I need to find some good workouts for 'older' people on youtube but low impact as my right knee grates.

Exercise gets addictive doesn't it.

ankietyjoe
06-11-20, 15:34
Shaking is pretty normal for muscles that aren't used a lot, and still common for people who exercise regularly. At my peak younger bodybuilding days I would often go for a beer after a workout (well I was young OK!!!) and I could barely get the bottle to my mouth, the shaking was not only visible, it was violent!

Aaaaanyway.

I still don't think you need to worry about machines, and certainly don't take advice from anybody on Youtube, or at least take it with a pinch of salt. There's always going to be somebody with a story about why what you're doing is wrong and why you have to spend WAY more money on something good....."and here's my affiliate link down below" etc etc.

A combination of brisk/fast walking and some HIIT at home is really all you need. HIIT will destroy you in literally minutes lol.

fishman65
06-11-20, 15:50
Shaking is pretty normal for muscles that aren't used a lot, and still common for people who exercise regularly. At my peak younger bodybuilding days I would often go for a beer after a workout (well I was young OK!!!) and I could barely get the bottle to my mouth, the shaking was not only visible, it was violent!

Aaaaanyway.

I still don't think you need to worry about machines, and certainly don't take advice from anybody on Youtube, or at least take it with a pinch of salt. There's always going to be somebody with a story about why what you're doing is wrong and why you have to spend WAY more money on something good....."and here's my affiliate link down below" etc etc.

A combination of brisk/fast walking and some HIIT at home is really all you need. HIIT will destroy you in literally minutes lol.Hi Joe. Thanks for your input and you are dead right. I took your earlier advice and did an over-50s workout on youtube last night. It mostly involved variations on squats with kicks/punches etc on rising. And I can tell you today that my legs ACHE. All down the outsides of my thighs like someone has pummelled them with a sledgehammer. And yes I was begging the instructor to finish LOL. I thought I was fit :blush:

ankietyjoe
06-11-20, 15:54
Doesn't matter how fit you are. HIIT will always hurt because you are pushing yourself to YOUR max.

The only time I'd really advise 'investing' money in equipment is buying a decent set of dumbells and bench, once they're widely available again.

fishman65
20-11-20, 16:11
OK an update on the exercising. I've been following a youtube workout, for over 50s and have been doing it for maybe 2 weeks. It involves a lot of squats, in fact each routine is a variation on squats apart from one which is skipping.

But just lately I've been introduced to someone called Emma Royds. I've not had anything to do with her in 3 or 4 years maybe, but now she's back and a right pain in the backside. I've read on google about squats being bad for putting pressure on the pelvic floor/bum. There's a price to pay for getting fit that isn't always financial.

pulisa
20-11-20, 17:53
Exercise can bring additional "extras" which are not always welcome! So hard to get the balance right but maybe this is a sign that you're overdoing things?

MyNameIsTerry
21-11-20, 09:05
Exercise can bring additional "extras" which are not always welcome! So hard to get the balance right but maybe this is a sign that you're overdoing things?

That's true. Our organic friend is recommending a mixture of heroin and porn :roflmao:

Lolalee1
21-11-20, 09:43
That's true. Our organic friend is recommending a mixture of heroin and porn :roflmao:

:roflmao:Onya Terry

fishman65
21-11-20, 16:28
That's true. Our organic friend is recommending a mixture of heroin and porn :roflmao:Ohhhh I've just got it...duh. The banned person. I hadn't a clue what you were on about Terry.

OK looking for cardio workouts with no squats, there must be something on youtube.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-20, 15:11
Well he was posting links for anal sex on some threads. He must have given your plight some consideration given the piles situation :biggrin:

I remember when I first started having piles as a young man the female GP asking if I were gay. She said we have to ask to understand any possible root cause. I replied "I'm not that brave" and she laughed :biggrin:

My piles all started due to weight training. It's similar to why pregnant women get them; all the straining when pushing into the bottom.

How about lunges? Not sure if they will cause the same but they aren't as intense. Squats are one of the hardest exercises and with weights you can be sore for days. Big impact on posterior chain and great for testosterone and fat burning due to being a major muscle workout.

I'm guessing you're not quite ready for pistols? :biggrin: (maybe assisted version? Pistols are an advanced one)

Bear crawls?

For the wrists you mentioned earlier I think a lot is to be said for just towel twists and squeezes. Carrying heavy objects too. You can often spot a working man by those muscular forearms.

fishman65
22-11-20, 18:02
Are the pistols to shoot myself Terry? :D Yea piles isn't something I like to bring up (eww that sounds weird) in normal conversation. I bought the cream from Asda and paid at the automated till so as to avoid knowing looks from the cashier. I'm sure its the squats that are responsible, so I found some 'knee friendly' workouts. Maybe I should type 'haemorrhoid friendly' instead.

Yes I do wonder how gay chaps go on with it. Not that I wonder about it that often, I mean like just now.

hlvd
22-11-20, 20:09
I'm not sure if this belongs in the therapy section or not, admin please feel free to move it if required.

OK since the beginning of the Covid19 crisis I've been hammering away at the exercise bike that had previously been gathering dust and spiders in the garden shed. Inspired to get fitter largely due to reading about the links between obesity and Covid prognosis, I've been at it on a regular basis. In fact as I type this, I'd say I'm probably fitter now than I have been in years. At least leg-wise and cardiovascular but I've yet to do much upper body work. I've started some this evening with a 12lb bottle of water. I've also lost significant weight from where I was this time 2 years ago, nudging 5 stones. The bulk of this loss has been over a longer period through regular walking, the more recent exercise bike has accelerated it. However in the last 2 weeks I've plateaued at 18st 3lb. This is despite keeping below the recommended 2154 calories per day that my app has put in place.

So my first question would be how to break through this plateau. Would increasing the duration of exercise do it? Or intensity? I've read about more resistance exercise which made me think about the water bottle. Then again I read too that stress affects cortisol that restricts belly fat loss, and my anxiety has been up and running the last few weeks. Coincidence?

Also does exercise have any therapeutic effect regarding anxiety? My own experience would suggest not, I feel much fitter but the anxiety is still very much there. Clearly though there are too many multiple dynamics involved to answer so simplistic a question.

Hi, your next step should be real riding on a bike.
You’ll work far harder without even feeling it on the road due to the moving air cooling down, you’ll also get much fitter riding road.

Lolalee1
23-11-20, 09:45
Riding a bike:D
That reminds me of a time I had seen 3 women standing under a sign that read Town Bikes For Hire :roflmao:
My morning exercise is I must I must increase my bust.

fishman65
27-11-20, 19:20
Thanks hlvd and Lola.

OK about 10 days ago Mrs F was looking through Wowcher and saw some cheap exercise bikes. They were selling for £59, knocked down from £114 I think? Anyway I had grave misgivings but in the past she's called me a snob, so I kept quiet.

Well today it arrived. You have to assemble it yourself which I duly did. It was advertised as a beginner's bike, but all I could do was laugh. That's a huge insult to beginners. It has a dial to adjust resistance, however its the same no matter how much you turn the dial. So I thought I'd pedal faster instead, but then the pedals threatened to come off and the bike felt like it might collapse under me.

So I thought maybe its a 'single use' exercise bike, disposable. Which it may as well be as I'd get more exercise getting out of bed. It really is utter trash. Anyway I hope this gives anyone reading this a laugh, it has me.

pulisa
27-11-20, 19:49
I'm sure she meant well but sorry it was a waste of money. I expect there's a lot of rubbish being touted online at the moment though.

I hate all this self-assembly stuff but that's because I'm clueless with a toolkit..It's the bits left behind which worry me if I attempt to put anything together!:D

fishman65
27-11-20, 20:37
I'm sure she meant well but sorry it was a waste of money. I expect there's a lot of rubbish being touted online at the moment though.

I hate all this self-assembly stuff but that's because I'm clueless with a toolkit..It's the bits left behind which worry me if I attempt to put anything together!:DI'll hasten to add it wasn't a Christmas present, that does make me sound ungrateful but I've been looking for a replacement for a couple of months now.

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-20, 05:45
Are the pistols to shoot myself Terry? :D Yea piles isn't something I like to bring up (eww that sounds weird) in normal conversation. I bought the cream from Asda and paid at the automated till so as to avoid knowing looks from the cashier. I'm sure its the squats that are responsible, so I found some 'knee friendly' workouts. Maybe I should type 'haemorrhoid friendly' instead.

Yes I do wonder how gay chaps go on with it. Not that I wonder about it that often, I mean like just now.

Turn the embarrassment onto them and start fidgeting whilst they scanned it :roflmao:

Could be worse than pistols you would try for the human flag.

I can't do pistols. I can do a crackling impression of a double barelled shotgun lying open on it's side on the floor though :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-20, 05:47
Riding a bike:D
That reminds me of a time I had seen 3 women standing under a sign that read Town Bikes For Hire :roflmao:
My morning exercise is I must I must increase my bust.

:roflmao: How many gears and any space for my pump just in case? :biggrin:

My morning exercise is I must I must decrease my bust :ohmy::blush:

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-20, 05:52
I'll hasten to add it wasn't a Christmas present, that does make me sound ungrateful but I've been looking for a replacement for a couple of months now.

Maybe you need something like a weighted flywheel? Or perhaps you just have legs like Chris Hoy?

I remember an episode of London's Burning where they filled Womble's bike frame with sand. That would do it.

Do you have any resistance bands? People often think of the ones used in women's classes but some them go far beyond that into serious weight. I'm wondering whether you can rig them up on a machine or even peddle with tied to something (there are some exercises like this for the Olympic ring style training kits I think).

Lolalee1
28-11-20, 08:59
:roflmao: How many gears and any space for my pump just in case? :biggrin:

My morning exercise is I must I must decrease my bust :ohmy::blush:

I didn’t get a good look Terry,but maybe a 12 speed kick starter:Dno room for a pump you will have to blow yourself:whistles: