PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers - new user seeks help please!!!

Steerpike
02-02-05, 22:53
Hi,

I'm new to this forum - from the UK. Really nice to find a supportive community!

I suffer from generalised anxiety for years though have recently begun to sweat and blush excessively. This is causing me much heartache.

I have started to take Propranolol to reduce anxiety and lower heartrate. I found this very effective at 10mg but was upped to 40mg and started to become short of breath (i'm asthmatic). Trying to reduce to 20mg again.

Also noticed my hair seems much drier and am losing more than normal. Anyone else noticed this side effect? I'm thinking it may not be drug related at all as not a common side effect.

Would welcome any reports on propranolol!

blossom
02-02-05, 23:03
from Blossom
Regarding the beta blocker Propranalol, I had been taking it for about a year 80SR, and found that it did help the anxiety as thats what I was given it for. About two months ago, I was told that my blood pressure was high, and have been put on 2 80mgs of SR Propranalol, morning and night,
I have read the pamphlet and it does say if one is asmatic they should not be taken, maybe you should dee your doctor again.
It has brought the top figure of the blood pressure down, but the bottom one is rather low now, and my pulse rate has gone down to about 50, they do help the anxiety. Good luck from Blossom

Meg
02-02-05, 23:07
Hi Steerpike,

You did well to tolerate the propanolol at all with asthma- many cannot take it at all.

The hair thing is new to me. Haven't heard that before.

Glad they've worked well for you.

Feel free to post a bit more about yourself in introductions.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Steerpike
02-02-05, 23:12
Many thanks for your replies and thoughts guys.

I developed Bronchitis which I think was a coincidence but i find myself struggling for breath taking 40mg so am taking no more than 10mg at a time at the mo.

blossom
02-02-05, 23:31
Blossom
Meg, would you be able to help me please, I wrote that the doctor said my BP was high, and at first he put it down to anxiety, when he took it first time it read 210/90, the next time was 196/96, so he started to prescribe 4 40mgs of propranolol a day, but they made me feel woozy, so he changed them to 2 SR 80 one morning and one at night,
I wrote that I bought a machine at his suggestion, I do suffer from Agoraphobia, and panic attacks, also get very depressed as I am unable to get out, but since this last week, I have been taking the BP daily and it has been reading about 148/55 pulse 52, but this morning I took it and it read 133/50 pulse 48. Is the pulse too low, and the bottom reading, he is a doctor one cannot speak to, I was wondering if you eould be able to help me. thankyou meg. love blossom

Meg
02-02-05, 23:43
HI Blossom ,

Its certainly come down quickly which is great as you have responded well to treatment. You're right that you wouldn't want it much lower than it is now so you might want to consider missing your mornings dose tomorrow and relay your readings to the GP via the receptionist or nurse in the morning and ask his advice to how he might want to adjust your dose.

I'm sure you can understand Blossom that whilst I may be qualified I am not your doctor and thus cannot give any specific medical advice.. I'm always happy to help with advice generally speaking.

If its a wrist machine you've got - the actual blood pressure taken from your upper arm at the surgery will be higher then your readings at home.

You didn't say what the pulse reading had been previously but the beta blocker does lower it a bit.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

razocaine_07
03-02-05, 13:59
hi, i was on beta-blockers for about 18 months and what suprises me is that your doctor prescribe them when u have asthma. But like other people have said, u have done really well. Dont worry about the slow pulse or even when its rapid. What i would suggest in my experience/opinion is that u should go and see a doctor that listens and makes time for your problems. Alot of people on this site have the same problem. If u have a slow pulse, just take things really easy.

nomorepanic
03-02-05, 21:55
Steerpike

Welcome to the forum.

Although this is not directly related I thought it would be worth mentioning it. When I was put on meds for high blood pressure I was very short of breath one one of them. The doc said it was not a common symptom but I take asthma inhalers so no idea if that is related.

I was once given Atenolol (a beta-blocker) but it made me very poorly so only took it for one day.

Try reading these previoius threads too ...

Changing Medication to Propranolol ? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2163)

beta blockers! anyone advise me? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=724)

Inderal/propanolol - side effects? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=352)

Hope they help

Nicola