PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Nighttime pacer
05-08-20, 01:38
Hi all,
I’m pretty concerned today as since the middle of March when lockdown started, I’ve lost nearly a stone (14 pounds) in weight. I realise that if I was dieting 14 pounds over 5 months isn’t too bad but I’m concerned as I’m not trying to lose weight. I did lose quite a bit of weight early on as I had coronavirus and no sense of smell or taste and wasn’t really eating that much. I’ve since been eating more but drinking less alcohol than when I was working and probably eating smaller meals so maybe I’ve explained it but just wondered whether anyone else has had this happen with anxiety. My health anxiety has been through the roof at various times during this. I know a GP some years back said you can lose weight due to anxiety as your body is working extra hard all the time.
Enough rambling,
Thanks all and keep well.
Nighttime Pacer

Fishmanpa
05-08-20, 01:41
Can anxiety (Stress) make you lose weight?
Absolutely! No "what ifs" or "yeah buts"...

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
05-08-20, 01:57
Thanks for that Fishmanpa, I’m starting to work with some CBT to help give me some tools to relax. Also I haven’t been eating as many calories as I used to so it’s easy to see why I’ve lost weight I guess. I need to stop assuming it’s some other health issue and just try relaxation techniques and eat more sensibly at regular intervals and I’m guessing the weight should come back on.

Fishmanpa
05-08-20, 02:11
Thanks for that Fishmanpa, I’m starting to work with some CBT to help give me some tools to relax. Also I haven’t been eating as many calories as I used to so it’s easy to see why I’ve lost weight I guess. I need to stop assuming it’s some other health issue and just try relaxation techniques and eat more sensibly at regular intervals and I’m guessing the weight should come back on.

:yesyes: Great reply! You got this!

Positive thoughts

pb
05-08-20, 07:36
Yes definitely, I lost one and a half stone due to anxiety in a couple of months. Had tests which were all normal.

mark212312
05-08-20, 09:20
Keep a food diary like MyFitnessPal - a couple of weeks ago when I was at the height of my panic attacks I was down 5ibs in two weeks; reason - 7000 calories under weekly target so 14000 in total almost the same as not eating at all for 7 days!

Pamplemousse
05-08-20, 11:43
Absolutely, positively it can. A couple of years ago I went down a particular rabbit hole of anxiety and dropped a stone in a month and every time someone said "you've lost weight" I nearly screamed "It's because I'm dying from cancer!!"

I wasn't, of course. I wasn't eating much because of my anxiety and my anxiety was making it worse.

I don't recommend it as a diet plan.

Midnight-mouse
05-08-20, 11:51
I lost nearly 4 stone over 6 months a few years back. Reason: Anxiety. I still go through phases every now and again when I’ll drop a few pounds, just coming out of one now but I have to work to keep a stable weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
05-08-20, 12:30
You're pretty much explained it. You had CV AND you are eating less AND you're drinking less.

When I get mega stressed and anxiety kicks in the weight drops off me. Last year I lost 30lbs in a month.

Nighttime pacer
05-08-20, 21:12
Hi all, Thanks so much for your messages. It’s so reassuring to hear all your similar stories.
Keep well everyone

Nighttime pacer
09-08-20, 16:15
Hi all,
I’m still really worried about this as for the last couple of days I’ve had slight stomach pains and a little bit more belching than usual. The trouble is straight away my mind goes to stomach cancer even though I know it’s rare at 46. I also guess that anxiety can also cause these symptoms. I have been on a low dose of omeprazole for years due to slight excess stomach acid but recently haven’t been taking it as often. I’ll go back to a regular dose. I will consult my gastroenterologist if it continues but at the moment I’m scared of going into a hospital for tests, even blood tests due to risks of Coronavirus.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Nighttime Pacer

Midnight-mouse
09-08-20, 19:13
I have been on a low dose of omeprazole for years due to slight excess stomach acid but recently haven’t been taking it as often.

^ Cause and effect right there, give it a while back on the omeprazole as it takes a little while to be really effective. Honestly just sounds like run of the mil indigestion though, which I definitely get more when I’m more anxious but it’s super common without being anxious.

Nighttime pacer
10-08-20, 01:42
Thanks for that Midnight-mouse, I guess I need to try and chill out and get as much sleep as I can and try and meditate and exercise and do all the things which help anxiety and stop obsessing about this as that’s certain not to help.

WiseMonkey
10-08-20, 01:52
Yep, and you put it back on straight afterwards :whistles:

Phoenixess
10-08-20, 22:10
I lost a stone and a half in two weeks when my anxiety peaked I was terrified. However it took me to my lowest adult weight and I have continued to eat healthy and maintain a steady weight loss alongside meds. Though sometimes I get crazy chocolate cravings but I allow exercise and other healthy foods to. Counteract that and keep in control. Prior to all this I used to binge eat and purge so anxiety can affect eating habits in so many ways and weight. Equally it can decrease your appetite and then if not eating regular meals the anxiety worsens. Look after yourselves guys we are all in this together [emoji3590]

Nighttime pacer
21-08-20, 23:56
Hi all,
I’m still really worried about this. I spoke to a GP at my local surgery she said it’s probably anxiety. She also said she is aware of situations where people have lost weight due to coronavirus and it has taken quite a while to stabilise.
She said to make sure she’d send for blood tests. Of course I’m now worried that she thinks I’ve got cancer or something equally scary.
Sorry for posting again.
Nighttime Pacer

Aleman200
22-08-20, 08:54
She will be sending you for a blood test just to reassure you by the sounds of it. I currently have been suffering from lack of appetite due to anxiety over 2 weeks and have lost 2 stone. It is very very possible. And every time I have been anxious to a high level I lose weight, you can end up putting it back on if you don't eat correctly though.

Try not to worry about it, if your doctor thought it was cancer they'd be doing alot more tests than just a blood check.

NoraB
22-08-20, 09:27
I know a GP some years back said you can lose weight due to anxiety as your body is working extra hard all the time.

GP is correct. I lost 2 stone on the nervous breakdown diet. :ohmy:

My body was constantly in SNS mode (fight or flight) where it is on constant threat alert. My heart was racing all the time, and I couldn't eat because you you don't tend to feel hungry when you are scared shitless. My heart rate was 145 lying down at one point, so it was like running for the bus but without actually moving. In your case, you had coronavirus earlier this year, and it will take time to regain that weight and get back to how you were. As with any virus, you can be living with the after effects for months afterwards...

Jamie123
22-08-20, 17:19
Most definitely can lose weight due to anxiety! Over exam periods or stretches of HA I have lost up to 10kg in a month

pulisa
22-08-20, 17:41
Yes you can. I've eaten normally and lost weight so seeing as I'm "old" have been put through a whole load of tests including a body CT scan. Nothing sinister has been found and it's been put down to "anxiety" by the hospital. Hope this helps?

Fishmanpa
22-08-20, 18:50
Not a sufferer but I can attest that stress and anxiety can and does reduce appetite and thus caloric intake. When my wife was in the hospital for three+ months, I lost close to 20 pounds.

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
25-08-20, 13:05
Hi all,
I’m still worried about this but have a blood test booked for a week’s time. At the suggestion of my doctor I’ve been weighing myself as soon as I get up and with an empty bladder at the suggestion of my doctor. On Thursday it was 72.1 kg today it was 71.9kg. I’m guessing that’s not enough of a difference to worry about at least I hope not. My biggest problem is I keep assuming it’ll be cancer.
I’m hoping with relaxation techniques and losing myself in other activities and planning work for the future I will relax and the weight will stabilise. I haven’t had any income since March and probably won’t have until next March. I’m living off savings which is doable but I’m sure bad for anxiety levels too.
Any thoughts anyone?
Nighttime Pacer

Nighttime pacer
26-08-20, 00:50
Thanks Aleman, NoraB, Jamie123 & Pulisa,
I’m just annoyed that I can’t stop worrying about this today and keep wondering if I’ve got symptoms of stomach problems. I also seem to be not getting enough sleep and even though I’m eating a lot of calories or trying to it’s mainly not a very healthy diet. I think I need to try and limit my sugar intake and regularly eat 3 proper meals a day. The thing is in a normal situation I’d love to have got down to the weight I am but I’m so scared that at the moment it must be due to illness. I feel like they’re going to find something really bad on the blood tests. I hope it’s unlikely though.
I think the stress of Coronavirus has just pushed me to a place where I can’t cope at the moment.
Thanks all for reading and commenting. This Forum is an absolute life saver at times.
Nighttime Pacer

Nighttime pacer
26-08-20, 22:55
Hi all,
I just can’t stop obsessing about this at the moment. I’ve been belching quite a bit and remember reading that can be a sign of stomach cancer.
I realise it can also be a sign of a lot of things but of course my mind assumes the worst. I’ve also been feeling a little bit spaced out but think that’s probably the anxiety too.
Sorry that I keep posting I just can’t relax at the moment.
Nighttime pacer

Fishmanpa
27-08-20, 00:11
Don't know what can be said other than what's already been said :shrug:

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

NoraB
27-08-20, 07:29
Hi all,
I just can’t stop obsessing about this at the moment. I’ve been belching quite a bit and remember reading that can be a sign of stomach cancer.
I realise it can also be a sign of a lot of things but of course my mind assumes the worst. I’ve also been feeling a little bit spaced out but think that’s probably the anxiety too.
Sorry that I keep posting I just can’t relax at the moment.
Nighttime pacer

I once had a panic attack because I couldn't burp. I also panicked because I hadn't farted for what felt like days (was actually hours):ohmy: Hubs came into the bedroom and found me parting my bum cheeks trying to coax one out. :whistles:

Well I can laugh about it now.....:scared15:

Nighttime pacer
28-08-20, 01:58
Hey all,
I know it’s all just my anxiety and I really need to chill out. I’ve decided not to wallow in it and be more proactive by eating better and taking more exercise and trying relaxation techniques. I’ll go for the blood test and whatever happens, happens. I can’t live in fear forever.

Nighttime pacer
30-08-20, 01:53
Hi all,
I feel like I’m just hanging on till the blood test on Tuesday. The trouble is I’m not sure if I’m belching more than usual or just noticing it more. I spoke to a GP at my practice and he said anxiety can make you lose weight as your metabolic rate increases due to the anxiety. I just can’t stop thinking the worst which I know is what the anxiety wants me to do.
Life is tough at the moment.

mark212312
01-09-20, 11:27
Hope the blood test goes well today - I know from experience that the waiting can be harder than the investigation; Also if you look at my thread from June/July you can see the panic my HA created and the symptoms it manifested, obviously not saying this is the same for you but I can personally vouch that the mind is a powerful thing.

Also don't get afraid if the results don't come back quickly it took 5 weeks for me to get my scan results.

Lolalee1
01-09-20, 11:38
I once had a panic attack because I couldn't burp. I also panicked because I hadn't farted for what felt like days (was actually hours):ohmy: Hubs came into the bedroom and found me parting my bum cheeks trying to coax one out. :whistles:

Well I can laugh about it now.....:scared15:

:roflmao:I can relate to the fart with all the medications I have been on the past few weeks I am panicking I might shart and it terrifies me.:weep:

Nighttime pacer
13-09-20, 18:24
Hi all,
I had suspected coronavirus in April and lost about a stone (14 pounds) in weight. Since then my weight started to go up a little bit has since gone down again. At my heaviest in the past I was 13st 3, now I’m 11st 6. I had a load of blood tests done which came back normal. I’ve got another GP appointment on Weds and just so scared that something has been missed or I need lots more tests. I’m using an app to track my calories and I should eat about 1900 per day to stay at the same weight or 2500 per day to put on a pound a week. I’ve been eating at least 2500 per day for the last 3 weeks and my weight hasn’t gone up at all.
Can anxiety really cause me to burn off so many calories? I’ve been belching a bit more too but my GP thinks that’s anxiety too.
So scared right now.
Nighttime pacer

Fishmanpa
13-09-20, 19:10
Can anxiety really cause me to burn off so many calories?

Have you read THIS? (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?240025-Can-anxiety-make-you-lose-weight)

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
13-09-20, 19:43
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Nighttime pacer
14-09-20, 00:19
Hi Sorry,
I guess it’s sorta part of that previous thread though to me it feels different, I suppose that’s probably another feature of health anxiety too.

Nighttime pacer
05-10-20, 00:24
Hi all, I’m still really concerned about this. Recently I’ve been belching a bit more than usual and sometimes getting a slightly sore throat after I eat. I’m supposed to be talking to my GP again in about 10 days I’m just so worried that I still can’t put any weight on. Most things I’ve read online about anxiety seem to suggest you generally gain weight not lose it. I know my GP doesn’t think I’ve got cancer and especially not stomach cancer. I have had issues in the past with reflux, maybe my symptoms are just that acting up again. It’s the weight loss though. I just hate all this anxiety, it’s taken over my life.
Sorry for rambling,
Nighttime Pacer

ankietyjoe
05-10-20, 08:46
Hi all,
I had suspected coronavirus in April and lost about a stone (14 pounds) in weight. Since then my weight started to go up a little bit has since gone down again. At my heaviest in the past I was 13st 3, now I’m 11st 6. I had a load of blood tests done which came back normal. I’ve got another GP appointment on Weds and just so scared that something has been missed or I need lots more tests. I’m using an app to track my calories and I should eat about 1900 per day to stay at the same weight or 2500 per day to put on a pound a week. I’ve been eating at least 2500 per day for the last 3 weeks and my weight hasn’t gone up at all.
Can anxiety really cause me to burn off so many calories? I’ve been belching a bit more too but my GP thinks that’s anxiety too.
So scared right now.
Nighttime pacer

Calories don't work like that. Calories are just an approximation of potential weight loss/gain. You also have to factor in activity, stress levels (important for you) and also what the calories are comprised of.

If you eat 10 chocolate bars throughout the day equalling 2500 calories, that would be more hormonally significant to weight gain than eating 3 square meals that consisted of whole foods. It makes a pretty big difference.

An app simply cannot give you a precise number for weight gain or weight loss. Your body can adapt to a wide variety of calorific intake and still stay the same weight as your physiology likes homeostasis. In other words, your body doesn't like losing weight unless it has to, and won't really put on weight unless it's absolutely sure there's a glut of resources. That can take weeks to see.

You've had all the tests, the issue here is your monitoring, not the weight itself.

molly15
05-10-20, 19:04
Hi there

Everything you say is what I'm going through just now . I lost a lot of weight with anxiety back in May and developed acid reflux . Its taken me 4 months to put back on 8 pounds and I want to put at least another 5 on but no matter what I eat the scales aren't moving.

I too get in a terrible state about it especially thinking I have something awful wrong with my stomach. I burp constantly and have acid in my throat after eating despite being on meds for it.

I had appointment with gastro doc today and I was sure they would send me for endoscopy but no she said Everything I told her is not concerning and its just reflux caused by anxiety. I told her about burping a lot she said thats not even a symptom that she looks for. But having health anxiety I still think but what if?

Health anxiety is truly awful and I completely get it . Try and stay strong xx

Nighttime pacer
06-10-20, 03:07
Hey AnxietyJoe and Molly15, thanks for your replies. I guess the thing is I’ve never been this anxious for this long before. Also, I haven’t had any takeaways or meals in restaurants since March. In the past I always ate out at least 3 times a week and I’m sure was taking on far more calories than I thought. I’m sure the weight will probably creep back on when I’m not looking, especially as mince pies are already in the shops! (Yay!, I love ‘em). Molly I guess gastroenterologists know what the red flag symptoms are so we should probably both take heart from that. Take care all, I’m going to try and chill out, hopefully eventually we all can.

ankietyjoe
06-10-20, 09:32
Something I learned a long time ago is that 'shit changes'.

It doesn't matter what you used to do, it doesn't matter how the past is different from now because your life and your mind/body will change over time. This is inevitable and expected.

You have all the information here to suggest that yes, anxiety (and stress) can make you lose weight, and unless you have a written record of what you used to eat there is absolutely no way you can estimate the then vs the now.

Try and stop ignoring the obvious reason and looking for the sinister one. It's like waking up with a hangover and wondering if the headache is a brain tumour.

molly15
06-10-20, 10:40
Hi nighttime pacer

I dont eat takeaways at all now ever since the reflux issues started 5 months ago . I didn't eat loads of them but did have a pizza or Chinese on a Thursday night so thats definitely a factor.

You will find you aren't eating as much or the same things since you have had the stomach issues .

I too feel I eat a lot but not according to everyone else . I also never eat after 7pm so I think that makes a big difference too.

My anxiety is at a all time high and its no fun .

Just be reasured your not alone .xx

Nighttime pacer
09-10-20, 03:56
Hey all, thanks for the comments. I realise it’s probably all anxiety. For the last 2 days I’ve been worried about having to urgently pee and then after I’ve gone feeling like I still need to go a bit. I’ve had this before and it always got worse if I thought about it and eventually just calmed down on it’s own.
I’m speaking to my GP tomorrow and I’ll mention it and also mention I still haven’t put any weight on, but haven’t lost any more.
I’ve realised even during this pandemic when I’m not working (I work in theatre) as I’m not struggling too much financially, I could be having a well earned break and enjoying myself relaxing and getting round to all the little jobs I’ve been meaning to do, learning new recipes and even maybe learning a language or some other new skill.
I don’t want anxiety to rob me of any more time.
I’m going to start some CBT but also going to actually listen to my Dr and try and believe him. Then, move on. Once again, thanks everyone for your support. We can beat this thing somehow, surely!

Wanderlust
10-10-20, 23:20
Lord yes anxiety eats me up literally, I lose so much weight, and even when I think I’ve stabilised the anxiety, sometimes it can still drop a bit because I guess there are still biological processes going on that were triggered by the anx, eventually it has always stopped for me and I have returned to my average. Positive that some tests are being done, but yes it is like anxiety symptom 101.
Some of the positive things that you said in your posts were very inspiring, it took me well over a decade to reach the sort of point where I could challenge the thoughts like that, really flipping well done (not intended to be patronising)

lilysmith123
11-10-20, 00:20
My sister lost around 5 stone in such a horrible time period when her partner and her divorced. The anxiety literally just was such a strain on her body! I think it's super common as I know a few folks its happened to. I'm panicking over the peeing issues currently myself so can totally sympathise, its hard to have anxiety over something we have to do to survive lol - no avoiding it! Definitely try CBt if you can like you said, it has made such a difference for me in a few weeks.

Dexter James
13-10-20, 17:16
Hi all, Thanks so much for your messages. It’s so reassuring to hear all your similar stories.
Keep well everyone

I lost 5 stone in less than 1 year i was so paranoid about cancer at one point everyone thought i was ill even thou i had been to the doctors 100s of times and they said i was fine i still never belived it, It took a while but i got there dont panic about it ,It is very common as to much worry causes stress on the body in turn you will loose weight please all ways speak to a GP as well :)