PDA

View Full Version : Benadryl?

Lacrymosa
24-10-07, 22:51
I was curious if anyone else has ever tried Benadryl for anxiety. It works wonders for me. Though I try not to take it often only if I'm feeling really anxious. Just the chewable tablets. I think its because it has antihystmine in it. I saw in my anatomy text that this kind of drug can help with anxiety. Just curious if anyone else has had results with it.

nomorepanic
24-10-07, 22:54
Personally I ended up in hospial after taking it cos it interacted with my blood pressure medication and I couldn't breathe so in my opinion - I hate it!

See this ....
http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

eeyorelover
25-10-07, 04:12
Not all antihistamines curb anxiety.
Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine that in REALLY LOW DOSES has been used in treating anxiety to get thru things like dental surgery, medical procedures etc.
That being said the use of antihistamines on a regular basis can CAUSE anxiety. It is a common side effect along with dizziness, dry mouth, and headache.

Not only can you reach a level of dependence taking these drugs but you can also develop a resistance to them.
It isn't advised to stay on antihistamines more than a few weeks at most.
xxx
Sandy

Richie
25-10-07, 11:37
i did try Benadryl , it was the one a day sort and i took 2 but it had no effect on me at all. used to take a cough mixture and it sometimes put me on a high but its not good to take any of these things long term for the wrong reasons
sorry for preaching xxxxxi'm terrible cause get addicted to almost anything.

mirry
25-10-07, 19:21
I found it helped slightly , but not if I was in a very bad way.

It can help some people it seems , especially if you drink lots of water with it.

But generally drinking water can really really help, my gp told me to do this and I never knew why until I tried it, making sure your not dehydrated is esential if you suffer with anxiety. :flowers:

lostsoul
31-05-08, 17:34
Hi all

I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would share my experience with you of hydroxyzine I've just talked my doctor into prescribing it for my anxiety. I'm not really sure if it works or not as soon as I take it my heart starts racing (I'm talking about 5 minutes later) so Its probably me just being paranoid, it does make you drowsy and I feel a bit calmer today. I've only taken half the 25mg tablet as I wanted to see how I reacted to it. I cant say I feel that bad really.

Theres lots of information here about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyzine#Prescription_and_use

I'm not sure about the previous commments about hydroxyzine causing anxiety in the long term I've not been able to find any info on this.

If anyone else has used hydroxyzine and has any feedback on it, that would be fantastic.