PDA

View Full Version : Fear of abandonment

Bill
25-10-07, 02:07
I was just thinking about my past today because my mother said she'd always been a loner. It just made me think so I thought I'd share.

The need to please – fear of abandonment-

I think sometimes we’re born with a feeling of insecurity so we look for security from others but we’re sensitive and so fear being hurt so we do all we can to please them for fear that they’ll abandon us if we offend them and we’ll be back to feeling insecure and alone.

I’m not sure how you overcome this other than to remember you always have good intentions so if they hurt you then try to remember that the fault lies with them for not being understanding and that you’re the good person, that you do your best and always try not to offend because you care. Good friends stick with you through good and bad times because they understand so those are the ones to really care about and keep close.

The need to feel loved-

Perhaps due to our insecurity, if we don’t receive enough affection as a child, it can add to our insecurity creating anxiety as we grow older. However, if we’re over-protected, we’re not allowed to build confidence in our abilities which can also create anxiety.

I know I was born insecure because my mother tells me I’d follow her everywhere needing affection but I can’t honestly remember her ever giving me a cuddle. I can remember in my teens how she’d feel embarrassed, push me away and say wait until I found a girlfriend. It didn’t mean though that she didn’t love me because she loves children and would have had more. She was always there for me but just not affectionate. She said she didn’t want to over mother me for fear it wouldn’t make me strong but ironically maybe if she’d given me more affection it would in fact have made me stronger. Only after losing my father 2 years ago did I feel comfortable holding her because she’d never let me before.

Also my older sister always resented me as she wanted another sister so she also always pushed me away. By the time I was 12 all my brothers and sister had left home and soon after I lost a good school friend which I feel added to health anxieties and my fear of abandonment. I also feel I got married for fear of being left on my own when I lost my parents but because of my wifes illness she too has never been affectionate so when pressures at home and work became too much, it very nearly pushed me over the edge with self harming, od's etc.

My father was a worrier himself and because he cared so much about me, he’d do things for me rather than watch over me and let me attempt them myself. I feel though that maybe if I’d been given more of a free reign I’d built more confidence in myself and in my own abilities which maybe would have lessened my anxiety when it came to having to do them on my own. Maybe my OCD wouldn’t have become such a problem. Who knows.

I think as I’ve grown older I’ve come to understand more about myself and my upbringing. It’s helped me to learn how to cope better and enabled me to come to terms with my life and anxieties. I honestly feel if you can understand yourself and what’s actually happened to create the symptoms, it can help you to tackle anxieties and enable you to move forward.

Gordon
25-10-07, 02:10
I'm the same mate, I always need people to tell me that I'm cared about and needed.

I've had about two dozen long time online friends abandon me in a heartbeat today all because I closed a forum down and it stinks.

Luckily I have my NMP friends. Please don't abandon me, you're all I've got left peeps.

Gordon

Bill
25-10-07, 02:33
Hi Gordon,

If friends abandon you then they probably aren't worth trying to keep because you need friends you can rely on in times of need. I've lost who I considered good friends too but maybe I thought more of them than they did of me. As a result you find out who are worth knowing because True good friends always stay.

I try to stick by friends and True good friends will always stick by you. I'm quite sure you'll find some True friends here.:winks:

Gordon
25-10-07, 04:16
I have already mate! Loads of them!!

I just wish a few peeps shared my love of reggae music then I could chat about it sometimes here!

Gordon

bluebottle
25-10-07, 08:02
I had a similar childhood Bill. It does damage us, but we aren't children now and can change it. THAT is scary as hell, but with my therapist and courage, and saying no when I mean no, and yes when I want to but I'm scared to, things are slowly, slowly improving. They are slow in coming, but if we don't allow harmful people into our lives, and let the good in, then we are half way there. Then we need to love ourselves, and when I get there I will celebrate with you.

Gordon, you can talk about your music, talk about anything.

Take care both of you. You are both OK people.

nanny
25-10-07, 09:34
HI Bill
What you say is so VERY TRUE !

I have a fear of rejection among other things:rolleyes: and even now at the ripe old age of 48 i need approval and affection etc etc. I find myself doing things i don't really want to do just so's people like me, i get cross with myself for doing it coz half the time i don't want too but can't help it. Sometimes the things i do for others will really affect my anxiety and i know i shouldn't have done it but just so they like me i do it.
Thats is so sad it makes me angry......................

i'm just a woose i suppose:shrug: :wacko:

Bill
26-10-07, 02:56
Hi there,

Bluebottle, I know what you mean. We Can change things and in lots of ways I fel I have. I'm certainly more accepting to my past because it's helped me to understand why I am what I am and come to terms with the present. In some ways though I don't think I'll ever change because I'm happy with my inner self as I am. I cope and I'll never stop caring but you're right in what you say.:winks:

Nanny, you're no woose. You just think of others before yourself. You need to learn to be more assertive because your needs are just as important as everyone elses. If they get upset then too bad because they should be more considerate towards you. I know it's hard but some people will take advantage of your kind nature and you really shouldn't suffer as a result of others selfish needs. The genuine ones will always understand and come back, and being more assertive is one way to find out who these are and who will keep you close. :hugs:

bearcrazy
26-10-07, 09:57
:hugs:
Hi Bill,

Agree with everything you say. I am a 'people pleaser'. I had a very strict upbringing, my father especially had some almost Victorian attitudes. I soon found that it was better to be good and do as I was told so that I stayed out of trouble. I have carried this on into adult life and at 51 still feel the need to please people. I get very upset if I think that I have upset anyone and if people are 'off' with me. I do things to make people like me which are often detrimental to myself, like not being able to say NO!
With support from the mental health team I am beginning to be able to be more asssertive but its not easy. Some people dont like the new me, but I can deal with that, its their problem not mine!!!!!

TC xxxx :hugs:

Lilith1980
26-10-07, 12:16
I guess my feelings of insecurity, fear of being let down and the need to be told I am loved comes from losing my Father when I was 13. He was my "idol" and I still think of him so often and that's 14 years down the line.

I consider myself to be a very affectionate person, who looks out for people and I always make the effort to tell people if they have done something I appreciate. Unfortunately though, not everyone does this and I am the sort of person that needs that confirmation, otherwise I become anxious that I have done something wrong.

I too place a lot of importance on pleasing other people, sometimes to the detriment of myself and my happiness but I worry that if I do not please other people, they will think less of me or hold a grudge and I couldnt bear that. Whereas in reality i am kicking myself inside because I know I should do what is best for me, people will get over whatever it is and half the time it probably wouldnt even offend them if I didnt go along with what they want.

D_Blaze
27-10-07, 18:51
Hi everyone. I can relate to this. I have both of these issues. I think mine stem partly from the fact that my mother had issues that prevented her from being as close as she would have liked to my brother and I. She was bi=polar and her moods would quickly and dramatically shift so I never knew where I stood. All I knew was it was my job to keep her as happy as possible until my Dad got home. Also, I had alot of health problems when I was younger so I was in and out of Drs. offices and hospitals. My earliest memory is waking up all alone in a gray hospital room and peering through the bars. I think that in itself started my fear of abandonment.

I agree with the post about not being children. I'm working with my mental health team but I am still uncomfortable with saying no to anyone because they may g4et mad and leave.

Blaze