PDA

View Full Version : Struggling in the heat

clarrie
12-08-20, 17:49
I’m surprised that no-one else seems to be posting about the heatwave in the south of the UK. Had to take my dog to the vet this afternoon in 33 degrees and wait outside while she was seen because of Covid. Very uncomfortable because I don’t tolerate sunshine well. At home it’s been a minimum of 28 in the house for nearly a week with the doors and windows closed and curtains drawn. Hasn’t gone down overnight by more than a couple of degrees. I am feeling so unwell now. I‘ve been drinking plenty of water but am hardly peeing presumably because the fluid is just replacing that lost in sweat. I’m hardly eating or sleeping and I just feel sick a lot of the time. In addition I’ve been bitten by a critter on the leg three days ago and the bites are big and red and itchy still. It’s sending my anxiety into overdrive (plus the fact that the dog’s been poorly). Anyone else struggling or is it just me?

BlueIris
12-08-20, 18:03
No, not just you. I really don't get on well with the hot weather, and I've spent the past few days dripping wet and miserable.

I'm staying hydrated and staying indoors (I had a basal cell carcinoma removed a few years back at a relatively young age), but I can't stand the constant dampness.

Got some relief earlier when I wrapped an ice pack in a towel, then put it behind my neck when I went for a lie down.

Hoping the hot spell breaks soon.

pav1984
12-08-20, 20:42
Sounds stupid but I put something really cold on my left wrist. Sounds mental but it seems to cool me down a treat

Redsmum
12-08-20, 21:03
Same here, i’m on the south east coast & there is normally a lovely sea breeze but for the past week not a puff of wind any where, i really can’t deal with the heat at all, its the nights that are worst for me no matter what i do i can’t cool down. Hopefully cooler days to come��

Carys
12-08-20, 21:06
Cooler days are to come, after tonight....so fear not. Its been really horrible.

clarrie
12-08-20, 21:14
Glad it’s not just me! Mind you, I’m talking myself into a panic. I do normally get an allergic reaction to insect bites but these are particularly bad probably because of the heat and my emotional state. But what with the feeling sick and a bit faint and being hot, Dr Google thinks I should be in hospital. I hate health anxiety!

elincia
12-08-20, 22:39
I struggle with the heat too! I hate heat because it makes me weak and shaky, and it makes my fingers twitch from side to side for some reason. I don't know if it's normal to get twitches and tremors in the heat but it drives me bonkers.

I've been doing a lot better with my health anxiety lately but whenever the heat makes me feel like this I tend to have flare ups. It makes me feel better to know it's not just me.

Fishmanpa
12-08-20, 22:53
Its been a very hot Summer where I'm at in the States. While I like the summer, the extreme heat (seems like its been in the 90's for months) is not my thing. Frankly, its made it easier to deal with hunkering down during the pandemic as its just been too hot to be outside for long periods of time. Looking forward to the Fall :)

Positive thoughts

Carnation
12-08-20, 23:32
Clarrie, try ice cubes on the bites. I got a few too when I went in the garden to cool down.
Don't like the heat either, just makes my anxiety worse and not sleeping good and all the other things people have said. :weep:

pulisa
13-08-20, 08:57
I get bad allergic reactions to insect bites and often end up with cellulitis and antibiotics. I have used loratidine- an antihistamine-which you can buy over the counter and it's really helped stop the bites develop as I've used it when I first notice the bite.

Hopefully the worst is over re the heat here. I'm in Surrey and it's been absolutely draining and it makes everything worse because you are literally dragging yourself around all day trying to get things done. At least with the cold you can do something about it but with this heat you just have to endure it.

Lolalee1
13-08-20, 10:19
It was warm here today in QLD I’m dreading summer along with over 90% humidity and those darn cane toads.
Hope the heat soon eases for you all.Stay cool:D

Carnation
13-08-20, 10:36
I get bad reactions to bites and stings too Pulisa.
Catch it early with antihistamine cream if you can. The ice cubes take away the throbbing heat and white toothpaste watered down will stop the itching. x

clarrie
13-08-20, 16:05
Thanks everyone for your help. Went to the pharmacy today about the bites and the pharmacist took a look and said if it was past the worst, there was no need to do anything else other than continue with the antihistamines. So that reassured me. Also the ice cube treatment brought some topical relief. And, pleased to say, the temperature has dropped a few degrees today despite an increase in humidity and so although it’s still uncomfortable I feel better able to cope. So, thank you all.

Carnation
13-08-20, 16:25
:yesyes:

Kingdawson
13-08-20, 18:28
It's unbearable at night. Tossing and turning throughout.

dorabella
14-08-20, 20:55
You should try London - enjoying the torrential downpours at present - but it has been unbearable for the last week with 34 degrees and blazing sun every day.

I dread the summers in London - the excessive urban heat just knocks the stuffing out of me, makes me anxious, nauseous and feel really lousy. Hay fever has also been bad this year with the high temperatures.

Went to bed one night lying on a wet towel which seemed to help - as does running your wrists under a cold tap.

Anyway, think the heat wave has finally run out of steam - a week's rain which has a (for me at any rate) a welcome psychological cooling effect. Thinking clearly for the first time in a week.

pulisa
14-08-20, 21:15
It's great to be able to walk outside without the searing heat and humidity, isn't it? The prospect of being able to sleep in comfort is also such a welcome relief..It's all been really draining psychologically and physically so good to get back to a normal British Summer, I think?!

NoraB
17-08-20, 07:27
I've got fibromyalgia which is affected by heat and cold, so it's been hard going here too. Hang on in there - Autumn is coming - and hopefully there will be a few mild and dry days. :)