PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy

MightyPC
18-08-20, 00:02
I have a colonoscopy booked for next Thursday and note they plan to sedate me. I had one 10 years ago and was sedated but a mate said he was given a wonderful relaxant and he watched the procedure and chatted to the nurse and didn’t feel a thing. I would prefer this than be put out. Has anyone had this option?

nomorepanic
18-08-20, 12:19
Do you know why they want to sedate you?

I don't have anything - just stay awake and watch the whole thing - no sedation or anything.

MightyPC
18-08-20, 20:38
Hi Nicola, no idea at all. Is it painful or uncomfortable? My last one I was put out and cannot remember a thing apart from waking and jumping up asking if they found anything.

WiseMonkey
19-08-20, 11:47
They often give you a light sedation, as the air they use to clear and see into the various areas of the bowel, can be painful. I've felt this discomfort even with sedation.

nomorepanic
19-08-20, 12:16
It can be uncomfortable yes but I just seem to be able to cope with it ok.

You can have gas and air as well.

MightyPC
19-08-20, 16:57
Thanks both. I will find out what they level of sedation they propose to administer. I do not want to be put out like before.

I had a sedation for an endoscope and can remember that. Felt I was suffocating, the worst experience apart from the cystoscope I had earlier this year, but I had nothing for that apart from numbing gel that didn’t work or work as much as I would have liked.

I have a feeling the endo will be next if nothing shows in this, which I don’t expect it to.

NoraB
22-08-20, 10:09
I was sedated for mine but I didn't watch it on the screen as I have zero interest in watching a camera wind it's way round my poo-pipes. The experience itself bordered on pleasant. I was pissed, but nice pissed and before I knew it I was being wheeled out to a side ward where, for once, a damn good fart in public isn't frowned on.:yesyes:

Aleman200
22-08-20, 12:54
I was sedated (mostly) for mine, didn't really fancy seeing inside myself to be quite honest, they offered but when I asked for more sedation the happily obliged. Next thing I knew i was being wheeled out onto a ward, let out a nice long fart and was offered some biscuits and a cup of tea. A little bit later I was discharged.

MightyPC
24-08-20, 21:48
LOL NoraB.

I agree, I have no interest in watching it. The last one I had I was out cold, similar experience as Aleman.

Thanks to you all for your replies. Just need to get it wrap up and done now.😩

MightyPC
29-08-20, 18:31
Some advice. Had my procedure of Thurs, left felt fine. Okay yesterday too and ate well. Woke this morning not feeling too clever, bloated, a little light headed and quite a bit of pepsin - silent reflux. Is this normal 48hrs after the event? Would have thought I could have expected this yesterday. I also had two polyps removed, so not sure whether this makes any difference and have diverticula disease. Thanks.