PDA

View Full Version : Letting my friend down - not sure how to tell her

.Poppy.
18-08-20, 17:37
I hope this is the right forum, I'm really just looking for advice.

I live in Kansas, USA. My best friend lives in South Dakota, USA. A couple of months ago she asked me if I would come up and visit her at the end of September. She and her boyfriend are going to stay in a cabin, and her boyfriend is going to a wedding but because of COVID she was removed from the guest list, so she was going to hang out with me while he was at the wedding. She just got a new puppy and bought a house and has been wanting me to come visit for awhile now.

For the record, I am an adult (29 years old) but I visit my parents (both in their 60s) every weekend and they have both expressed very strongly that they do not want me to go visit her right now. She has been careful, but South Dakota in general is just not a good place to be COVID-wise; no real restrictions have been put in place and no one is following any kind of guideline.

On top of that, I have been wanting to take a vacation and was able to book a place to stay that overlaps with the time she wanted me to visit. It's a very COVID-friendly vacation; I'm renting a cabin on 70 acres and am going to just spend some time reading and playing with my dog (who is reactive, so is very into social distancing himself).

I feel awful and am not sure how to tell my friend that I can no longer come because a) my parents told me it's a bad idea and b) I made other plans. Any words of advice?