PDA

View Full Version : Worried about rabies

Jamie123
22-08-20, 17:13
I have been on a rabies streak for about a week now and been really panicking today. I am from the UK so the chances are really low however I remember around 5-10 years ago I was in Bulgaria (the country where i am originally from) and a dog came at me? barked at me, came really close to me and was quite aggressive and I had to put my foot (with shoe on) in its mouth to keep it at distance. Now I'm not sure whether it bit me but I do not recall having any significant injury. This dog hadn't been that aggressive before but I am pretty sure it used to bark at us regularly however what worried me is that I cannot remember whether I ever saw it afterwards which makes me think maybe it had rabies.
Now this week I noticed I've always had a tingling feeling and twitching in 1 of my feet so became worried. Also this week I have been getting some spasms in my throat when drinking water which was what pushed me over the edge, these happen when I take a big mouthful and my throat almost jumps. These happen at most 3 times a day but only when I am drinking water. Can anyone give me reassurance this is not rabies as having read of some of the symptoms and long periods before symptoms does not help?

nomorepanic
22-08-20, 18:34
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

nomorepanic
22-08-20, 18:35
Wouldn't you be dead by now if it was Rabies?

Jadex9
22-08-20, 22:59
My friend,

I'm also in the midst of a rabies panic, let me reassure you on a few things.

Firstly, the dog bite occurred TEN years ago, you say you're not sure it bit you, trust me, if a dog bites you, you know it.

The tingling is good old fashioned anxiety, I have tingling, muscle aches, headaches etx

I'm also 37 years old and my time as a spring chicken has come to pass 😂

You don't have rabies, you have health anxiety.

MRS STRESS ED
23-08-20, 11:25
My friend,

I'm also in the midst of a rabies panic, let me reassure you on a few things.

Firstly, the dog bite occurred TEN years ago, you say you're not sure it bit you, trust me, if a dog bites you, you know it.

The tingling is good old fashioned anxiety, I have tingling, muscle aches, headaches etx

I'm also 37 years old and my time as a spring chicken has come to pass 😂

You don't have rabies, you have health anxiety.

You need to apply this to yourself sorry it made me laugh when l read and replied on your rabies post xx

Best wishes

Redsmum
23-08-20, 12:43
If only we could practice what we preach!!!!

Jadex9
23-08-20, 19:30
I guess the meds are finally kicking in😂

Jamie123
27-08-20, 16:09
Thank you for the reassurance, after some time has passed the throat issue has gone so probably just good old HA.

Jamie123
08-09-20, 10:08
I was walking to work today and felt a discomfort on my arm but nothing major, so I looked into the bush I was walking next to as I am currently going through a rabies fear. I cannot see anything but then I pull down my sleeve a little bit and saw the picture below. I am worried that a bat bit me and am having a panic travelling to work. I forgot to look on the floor nearby only the bush and am thinking what if there was a rabid bat there or on the tree next to me I did not see which had just bitten me. I googled and read there are bats in my area which has made me freak out. I have never seen a bat anywhere before and have lived here for over 10 years but am really panicking and am scared I cannot be sure. Can anyone tell me if it looks like a bat bite?
I am really struggling as I was trying to stop being so anxious and wanted to carry on with my day and forget about this but am really panicked that this could cause me to miss seeing the bat and get the medication for rabies.:weep:

BlueIris
08-09-20, 10:16
Are you in the UK, James, like your location flag suggests?

nomorepanic
08-09-20, 11:16
Why did you delete your other post about rabies?

The same advice on that one is relevant here.

I am also removing the pictures as we do not want people posting pictures asking for advice.

Jamie123
08-09-20, 11:17
Hi BlueIris, I do however I have read that my area in the UK has daubentons bats which are the ones which carry the virus in the UK.

Jamie123
08-09-20, 11:27
Hi, the other post I deleted was exactly the same one I just added the wrong attachment so had to delete it as I could not remove them from my phone, there were no replies.
Also I am not sure why the pictures have been removed since others have posted pictures before which were not, is this a rule? Apologies if I am breaking the rules just quite worried

Why did you delete your other post about rabies?

The same advice on that one is relevant here.

I am also removing the pictures as we do not want people posting pictures asking for advice.

BlueIris
08-09-20, 11:39
People in the UK don't get rabies, end of. Doesn't happen, hasn't in decades.

Most especially, they don't get rabies from nonexistent wounds from nonexistent bats.

nomorepanic
08-09-20, 12:03
Re-read this..

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?223799-So-you-think-you-have-Rabies

nomorepanic
08-09-20, 12:05
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

nomorepanic
08-09-20, 12:05
Sorry I thought you had deleted your first rabies post. I have merged them now anyway.

whispershadow
08-09-20, 13:49
Hi BlueIris, I do however I have read that my area in the UK has daubentons bats which are the ones which carry the virus in the UK.

Bats are more afraid of humans than we are of them, so i'm sure you havent got rabies from a bat :hugs:

My younger cat has a bat friend who comes to talk to her through the door, but as soon as bat sees human movement he/she flies off :hugs:

Jamie123
08-09-20, 16:30
People in the UK don't get rabies, end of. Doesn't happen, hasn't in decades.

Most especially, they don't get rabies from nonexistent wounds from nonexistent bats.

I have read all the information regarding rabies in the UK and I am convinced that this is it for me. Its strange isn't it how people with HA always think that they are THE ONE but in the moment it is really difficult for me not to since reading about the one man who did get it. Ive been trying to calm myself down but just read about a man who was the 1at to get it in British Columbia since 2003 and that panicked me hard.

Jamie123
08-09-20, 16:55
Bats are more afraid of humans than we are of them, so i'm sure you havent got rabies from a bat :hugs:

My younger cat has a bat friend who comes to talk to her through the door, but as soon as bat sees human movement he/she flies off :hugs:

My worry with this is that if a bat bites me then it can only be rabid since otherwise it would not bite or be out in the day and acting different.

nomorepanic
08-09-20, 16:59
You don't have rabies and you were not bitten by a bat - end of story

whispershadow
08-09-20, 17:33
My worry with this is that if a bat bites me then it can only be rabid since otherwise it would not bite or be out in the day and acting different.

it was likely a insect bite, this country does not have rabies in it :hugs:

Jamie123
09-09-20, 12:46
Hi Guys a small update for those who may care, I have talked to a GP and she reassured me it is unlikely that I have been bitten and referred me to call a number to discuss beginning some sort of therapy which I will do so soon. Now the area has started twitching, itching and feeling like pins and needles in my hand above the injury but I am putting it down to how ive been stressing and stretching my hand looking at it and I don't think they would appear this soon?

Also thank you for all those who did reply it really did help.

Jamie123
09-09-20, 17:25
I've actually managed to panic myself again, I remember seeing something which looked like a bug fly into my room and land on my tv where the side speakers are then fly off. Its wings were quite fast so I assumed it could not be a bat but now thinking back it had brown on its back which I cannot remember seeing before. It only landed for a small time though so I did not manage to see much of it on the tv and now am worried this could be a bat and the cause of the things on my hand, could this be true? Is there any change a small bat is mistaken for a bug?

BlueIris
09-09-20, 17:39
Give it up, you're being ridiculous.

nomorepanic
09-09-20, 20:09
It was not a bat - get some help for this please.

whispershadow
09-09-20, 20:34
Bats are bigger than insects

even small bats

Jamie123
10-09-20, 10:45
I was feeling somewhat better this morning however now I started putting the story together and have panicked again, I am worried the thing I saw on the weekend in my house was a baby bat of some sort and I remember feeling a sharp pain in the spot where I have the 2 marks which look like a bat bite. I am worried it then managed to get out but am now really panicking that I will get rabies, I have started to feel some symptoms in this location and am really freaking out? Do you guys recommend getting the post exposure vaccine?

BlueIris
10-09-20, 11:03
What help are you getting for your anxiety?

Also, just putting it out there, it's very rude to use a PM to solicit reassurance and then not bother to reply.

Jamie123
10-09-20, 11:21
What help are you getting for your anxiety?

Also, just putting it out there, it's very rude to use a PM to solicit reassurance and then not bother to reply.

Hi BlueIris, you are correct it is very rude but in my panic I have been looking and trying to get as much information as possible. I apologize sincerely to you as I did not intend to be rude to someone who was trying to assist me in a bad place. Thank you!

I talked to my GP and she has given me a number and email to call to do with talking therapies which I will do as soon as possible however the panic has not stopped in the meantime so I am still quite worried and looking for more reassurance to rule out the baby bat theory I had as now I believe the "bug" I saw did fall downwards when flying off so I am panicking that this could possibly have been a small baby bat :( this along with the fact I did not see it fly off outside or that I felt a sharp pain where my injury was later that evening or the next day has me going bonkers as usual.

BlueIris
10-09-20, 11:24
I've been down the HA rabbit hole, and seeking reassurance really doesn't help. You need to learn to sit with the discomfort.

Jamie123
10-09-20, 11:27
I've been down the HA rabbit hole, and seeking reassurance really doesn't help. You need to learn to sit with the discomfort.

Yes I agree to an extent. I have had periods where I have done that but I think because it is so crucial with this particular disease to get the vaccine quite early it is difficult to sit with discomfort when I am worried I should be doing all I can to get help.

nomorepanic
10-09-20, 12:27
There was no bat.

Jamie123
15-09-20, 19:31
Hi Guys that fear subsided but now I am worried about a new supposed bat spotting I was walking with my mum at around 7 when something flew over us. It looked completely black but I literally only saw it for half a second so could not even make out how big it was. This panicked me as I was worried so I asked her but she said it did not touch us but there are daubentons in this area and I am panicking about what if it touched me or dropped saliva on my head where I know I have some scratches? It did fly over us quite fast which I am guessing would he quite difficult if it did hit something or landed on me.

nomorepanic
15-09-20, 21:05
Come on Jamie - think about this logically

nomorepanic
15-09-20, 21:05
We still don't have rabies in the UK

textsfromthemoon
17-09-20, 08:33
As someone who has been down the rabies HA rabbithole too you have to recognize that your thoughts are becoming more and more illogical the more you feed the fear, I went through a similar pattern and the only thing that helped was redirecting myself everytime I started to "what if". It took practice and there were definitely times where I struggled and sought out reassurance but the best thing I did was just learn to tell myself "no this isn't realistic or even possible" and then let myself move on. Now when I get those kinds of thoughts, I'm able to dismiss them much more quickly than I used to. You can get there too I promise! :)