PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of food/drink going to back of nose

katniss
22-08-20, 17:46
Hi everyone,

I keep having this sensation of food or drink going to the back of my nose. It’s really unnerving and scary. According to google it’s nasal regurgitation: always caused by a neuro disorder like MS, ALS, Parkinson’s, dystrophy etc; I’m scared out of my mind. I haven’t ever choked on my food. I just feel like it comes into my nose - although it never has. But I definitely feel it in the back of my nose. Is this just a normal sensation that I’m reading too deep into? Or is it something worth going to the docs for? When you guys eat can you feel certain food and drink at the back of your nose? Things like pickles, mint gum and onion send a direct spike of scent into my nose. However I’ve never actually had food or drink come out of my nose. It just this pressure. Please help

Fishmanpa
22-08-20, 18:52
According to google....

:doh: :lac:

Positive thoughts

Midnight-mouse
22-08-20, 19:08
When you guys eat can you feel certain food and drink at the back of your nose? Things like pickles, mint gum and onion send a direct spike of scent into my nose

Yes of course! It’s the same thing as when you get too much mustard in the mouth/vapours of it. Extremely normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katniss
22-08-20, 22:01
Thanks for responding. I do feel like even swallowing saliva it spurts into the back of my nose. Is this just a normal symptom? I have always been so scared of neurological illnesses and so randomly this happens!

Today I decided to look at my mouth properly with a flashlight in the mirror and my uvula is sometimes pointing towards the left and I don’t know it seems like my soft palate is assymmetrical. Apparently that can point to CNS disorder. I can’t tell. It’s really scaring me. I’m literally losing my mind here. We spent this weekend at Niagara Falls with family and it was beautiful weather, gorgeous hotel and all I did was sulk, google and pay attention to my swallowing. I feel miserable

Fishmanpa
22-08-20, 22:16
Today I decided to look at my mouth properly with a flashlight in the mirror...

Katniss, c'mon now... That is highly irregular behavior and just feeding your dragon! You know better than that! :lac: Read what Midnight Mouse wrote again. Smell is essential to taste....

Positive thoughts

katniss
23-08-20, 03:10
Thanks for your reply. I know sound crazy and I would really hope that I am being crazy. I am terrified of the fact that I can feel food and liquid behind my nose or almost in my nasal cavity. It’s scary because it could be a symptom of something terrible. Just want to know if this is normal.

katniss
26-08-20, 06:10
Sorry to bump. But please can anyone offer some reassurance. I don’t want to get told that I’m imagining things or that I’m crazy. When you drink water does it feel like it’s touching the BACK of your nose? Could this just be anxiety? I’m scared because soft palette issues are only ever linked to neuro issues and feeling food or drink in nose is a soft palette issue.

Scass
26-08-20, 07:16
I haven’t replied because it’s not something I’ve ever noticed.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist if it’s causing you distress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katniss
26-08-20, 16:19
Thank you Scass.

The only thing that’s positive in all of this is that I haven’t truly ever had anything come into my nose. It just *feels* like it’s coming to the back of my nose — and that could just be my anxiety playing up. When I had trouble swallowing one time last months, I looked up various possibilities and one thing that came up was nasopharyngeal regurgitation and this stuck with me. Now that it’s daytime and things don’t look so gloomy, I can see that perhaps I read so much into this that I truly imagined the food coming up to my nose. I currently have sinusitis as well so I have lots of mucus by my soft palate anyway. So it could be that too. I also don’t have a nasal voice or anything, which could indicate soft palate issues. And the whole thing is just so crazy in broad daylight that I feel like scoffing at my fear. However I know that as the day goes on the feeling will come back. Right now I chugged some water down and couldn’t feel anything.