PDA

View Full Version : Panic till you can't panic anymore!

maxine
25-10-07, 17:01
My number one tip even after the tought of it scared me half to death...find the one place you are terrified of get a mate or someone who can support you and go there and no matter how crap you feel do not leave until the panic subsides. It will I promise it always does.

You'll see that panic always peaks at some point , it'll give you the streangth to carry on.

Good luck x

fretty freda
25-10-07, 18:32
sound like a good idea but when i return to work were i know i will panic i cant get anyone to hold my hand:ohmy:
and dont want to talk about it to the girls who i work with only the boss knows

any suggestions

maxine
25-10-07, 21:14
How about trying to get in there a bit early so you have a chance to let the panic peak before too many people come in?

fretty freda
25-10-07, 23:18
yeh ill try that thanks

maxine
26-10-07, 10:08
Take some rescue remedy with you and if feeling all hot and horrid is one of your symptoms i found having some Magicool stuff really helpful in cooling me down.
No-one thinks anything of those things and they wouldn't notice you taking/using them if you needed them.

Goodluck x

fretty freda
26-10-07, 10:35
GOOD IDEA BUT THE RESCUE REMADY DOESNT HELP ME IVE TRIED , READ MY THREAD DIAZAPAN THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ALWAYS APPRICIATED:hugs:

Tom_M
27-10-07, 00:36
It reminds me of the time when I used to suffer from agoraphobia and got stuck in the toilets of Tesco :). I had a panic attack while shopping in Tesco so I hurried to the toilet where I a felt a bit safer. Anyway, I managed to shout one of the girls to see if she would let me out of the back door, but she went straight for the manager. :) Well, they made me feel like some sort of criminal. They asked me all sorts of questions and called the security guard. That was the turning point, as fear turned to anger (try being angry and panicky at the same time), so I just said stuff the lot of you and walked through the supermarket and out the front door. :)

Krakers
27-10-07, 04:59
Hi Tom, a little off thread, but relevant to your post. The manager / Security guards or anyone else are not allowed to detain you. If you consent to it, its different, but if you don't just walk away.

They have absolutely no powers unless they perform a citizens arrest, at which point tell them you'll sue the store, and make it quite clear you'll cite either the manager or security guard.

I've done this believe it or not with a bottle of water I carry around as a bit of a crutch. The security guard at John Menzies let me go in 10 secs. Its unlawful to detain people against their wishes.

Just remember next time you can leave at any time in any fashion - including going through fire escapes / doors. Its their problem, you haven't done anything wrong. Sounds to me like a classic case of bullying. Just walk away.

As much as it may cause you extra anxiety if they restrain you, just remember that in the small calims court they owe you big time. While it may not ease your anxiety at the time, I'm sure a few thousand will help you chill out in the future.

Krakers.

Tom_M
27-10-07, 22:20
Hi Krakers

Well I can laugh at it now, but it was very embarrassing at the time. :blush:
I still go in that store, but now without the acrophobia. :) What I have noticed about supermarkets, and most other shops, is the effect that florescent lighting as on people. I don't know if it purely psychological thing or there is some optical effect due to the flicker, but a few people have told me it makes them feel uncomfortable, and possibly contributes to an anxiety attack? I know I don't like the intense lighting they have in the big stores.

Tom

maxine
30-10-07, 19:10
LOL sorry I've been reading where this thread went ..I think at the height of my anxiety i would have died if i were locking in the loos !

As far as the whole eventually anxiety turns into something else I would whole heartedly agree.
I certainly found with my that after a while i became that p**sed off with being controlled by panic attacks that it did turn into sheer determination to get over it. ( it took 3 years to reach this point like lol)

I started this thread in the hope someone else would have the courage to do this aqnd yeah it does take courage to be honest i was near enough forced into the situation by i will never forget the person who made me do it, I hated them at the time and now he's everything to me.

I know it is easier said than done, been there got the t-shirt so to speak!

anxious
01-11-07, 09:42
Its certainly true that anxiety reaches a peak and then subsides, it won't keep on rising as we fear. This fact is what my CBT is based on.

anx x