PDA

View Full Version : Just tested positive - no symptoms

DaisyFay
25-08-20, 23:03
Hi,

I took a covid test as all my children were sick last week. They all tested negative but I tested positive. I’m so confused as I have no symptoms?

I’m now beside myself with worry about my children suddenly getting worse, they haven’t been bad at all but I’m terrified they will get pneumonia or something!? I’m just assuming they had it too long before the test to pick up the positive??

Or me suddenly behind hit with awful symptoms.

It’s been 7 days since my children fell ill and 4 days since I took the test.

My health anxiety is off the chart. I’m sooo scared for what might come.

I know no one can tell me what will happen but I just wonder if anyone has come across positive tests with no symptoms? Or could even offer a few words of reassurance while I’m panicking and trying to avoid google.

Thank you x

fishman65
26-08-20, 00:13
DaisyFay :hugs:First of all, I'm no doctor so not in a position to give you 100% reassurance. I really wish I could. OK I'm not going to try and work out why the test results came back the way they have. However, what I will say is that children very rarely have severe illness with Covid and more to the point, I'm assuming they are better now from what you are saying?

As for yourself, I'm making another assumption in that you are a fairly young mother?

Gary A
26-08-20, 00:47
Asymptomatic infection with Covid-19 is not at all unusual, especially in younger age groups. If I remember correctly, it’s estimated that around 35% of all positive cases are completely asymptomatic.

DaisyFay
26-08-20, 13:49
Thank you so much for the reply.

It’s just my eldest, who is still a preschooler, she has asthma and is still coughing. But it’s not consistent and she is playing. I’m trying really hard to think they are through it rather than panic about them taking a bad turn.

I’m in my mid-30s. I just feel a little off. Nothing to bat an eyelid at.

It seems that our mothers, who are both in their 60s and have been with the children, have no symptoms. They are getting tested though.

I didn’t sleep all night due to worry but now trying my hardest to de-stress as I know it will do my immune system no good!!

DaisyFay
26-08-20, 13:56
Wow 35% is a lot!

I am someone with an awful immune system so have been really careful. I pick up everything and usually feel awful with even a cold. So I’m just stunned I’m asymptomatic.

I was in a real panic yesterday but will try to stay focused on that 35%. I could be one of them.

Scass
26-08-20, 14:20
I’m sorry about this, I can imagine how worried you are. I work with someone who tested positive on Saturday and also has no symptoms. All of her family (who she’d been celebrating her birthday with) and 2 colleagues she was in the office with, have tested negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
26-08-20, 16:51
As counter intuitive as it sounds, it seems that suffering with asthma poses no additional risk with covid.

pulisa
26-08-20, 17:53
I'm sure you will continue to stay well, Daisy. This time last year you would have just been dealing with your children being a bit under the weather and thought nothing of it..This year the Covid fear factor has made the best of us nervous wrecks as this virus is just so strange and unpredictable. However, it is reassuring to know that you have actually tested positive yet have been unaffected and your children have probably had it but have tested false negative..You have all had it and come out the other side.

A friend of mine was hospitalised with kidney failure and all the covid symptoms but tested negative..He is in his late seventies with underlying health issues but is still very much alive! I'm not sure that these tests mean anything.

Carys
26-08-20, 18:57
I had a family member in her 80s who went to hospital for something routine, had no COVID symptoms at all and tested positive for it (routine test as she went to the hospital)- she remained well with no symptoms (this was months ago).

pulisa
26-08-20, 19:40
I had a family member in her 80s who went to hospital for something routine, had no COVID symptoms at all and tested positive for it (routine test as she went to the hospital)- she remained well with no symptoms (this was months ago).

Glad to hear that, Carys. I reckon this virus is a law unto itself.

Carys
26-08-20, 21:04
Seems that way doesn't it - unpredictable, or more likely we don't yet scientifically know what makes some people more ill from it. Another family member had it; in her 40s, fit, healthy, perfect weight and a runner - was very ill for 6 weeks.

fishman65
26-08-20, 23:42
Seems that way doesn't it - unpredictable, or more likely we don't yet scientifically know what makes some people more ill from it. Another family member had it; in her 40s, fit, healthy, perfect weight and a runner - was very ill for 6 weeks.The unpredictability of this virus is the only predictable thing about it. I'm on my exercise bike every day and it could all be pointless :shrug:

pulisa
27-08-20, 08:04
It won't be pointless, Fishman. It'll be a great investment for your future health. No one can predict how CV will affect them but you can do all you can to improve your immune system and keep your weight down and the rest is all down to luck.. That's what I think anyway.

Anyone heard of the insect repellent which kills off covid?!!:D Cue stampedes to hardware stores etc. Not sure how you administer a dose but my daughter saw it yesterday on one of her news feeds!

DaisyFay
29-08-20, 14:47
Just to post a little update.

My children are much better now, which is great.

I am however on my second day of feeling under the weather. For me, I just feel like I have a heavy head cold.

I’m still not convinced the positive was correct? But it would have to be a huge coincidence to get a positive and then fall ill with a cold, surely!?

Either way, hopefully I will feel much better tomorrow. If I had not done the test, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at this as I currently feel like every head cold I’ve had before plus a couple aches in my legs!

Scass
29-08-20, 17:02
Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon. Glad the children are better.

pulisa
29-08-20, 17:50
Who knows with the unpredictability of these tests..Think of it as a standard head cold-it probably is anyway. If it's CV then you've got it out of the way..

Glad your children are on the mend and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Twisted-Melody
02-09-20, 14:08
Hi DaisyFay, how are you feeling now?

DaisyFay
03-09-20, 13:53
Hi, thank you for checking in.
After posting the update, I did develop a cough so I’m now sure that the positive test plus a dry cough, means the test must of been correct.

I found it very hard to believe, partly because we have been careful and live in a low risk area. But also, I expected to feel worse.

For me, I felt somewhere between a cold and a mild flu. Mostly, I was very sleepy as if my energy were being drained. The cough started on day 4 and ended on day 6. It ended very suddenly, literally one last coughing fit and then no more.

My husband who is older than me, who I thought would get hit worse, had cold symptoms and a slight cough for a couple days.

We were already all taking vitamin D. My husband had been for a long time... When I got the positive test, we all started taking vitamin C, zinc etc. I lost my appetite so made every bite count. I tried to eat fresh, healthy foods that would help my body fight anything off. Drank lots of hot lemon, orange, ginger & manuka honey. And slept on my stomach. Whenever the cough wouldn’t stop, that hot drink and lying on my stomach, did stop it. I would also listen to healing meditations whenever I was asleep, mainly to stay focused on getting better and not panic.

I’m not sure if any of these things helped, but they didn’t do any harm so was worth a try in my mind.

I may go for an antibody test soon to see if it was covid. Although a lot of people have now said to me that being poorly after a Positive test, should be answer enough for me!

We had also been around older family members before we found out and they did not catch it.

I wouldn’t ever want people to relax about any social distancing measures as we must of caught it when we were being as careful as we possibly could and also out of respect to everyone fighting/suffering this awful virus. But, if anyone finds themselves in a similar position, panicking as they’ve tested positive, I hope this will offer some reassurance. We don’t hear enough of the mild case stories.

As I’m naturally anxious, I’m still a little of edge wondering if anything else will come but it’s been a while since my test now, I keep reminding myself that!

Twisted-Melody
03-09-20, 15:44
That's great to hear :) My health anxiety has been pretty good these last few months but I got coughed on earlier this week and my fear has sky-rocketed! Good to hear about a mild case, though. Sounds like you'll both be better in no time!

pulisa
03-09-20, 18:02
We certainly don't hear enough of the mild case stories..probably because they are not dramatic enough and will get people questioning the point of social distancing etc ?

It's good to hear that you are well on the mend, DaisyFay and your account of your personal experience of covid is a really helpful, reassuring and useful contribution to all matters CV on here. Thanks so much for all the advice and information and look after yourself! x

DaisyFay
03-09-20, 18:22
Absolutely! I’ve barely told anyone that I tested positive. Mainly because I don’t want to contribute to people thinking “oh she barely had a short mild flu, let’s stop distancing so much”. It’s probably reasons like this, that we don’t hear more about mild cases.

I’ve avoided googling covid as I’ve been so anxious about it, but since I’ve now tested positive and got better, I did have a look at some mild experiences. For anyone feeling anxious, this is a very anxiety friendly video and may be reassuring.

Fear is a big issue as it can cause me to feel breathless and dizzy anyway. Plus I was very conscious that it stops the immune system working as well. So I hope my experience will at least help some people feel less anxious.

https://youtu.be/eLUMkeyE7mU

The video is a doctor explaining her symptoms of a very mild 48hr experience of covid. If that might be a trigger, don’t click x

Carys
03-09-20, 21:23
Good work Daisy - you stayed calm and worked on your mental and physical health through it, and that must have been tough given the massively scarey tales about it that are around! I admire your attitude.

Scass
04-09-20, 07:14
So glad you’re doing better, well done for reacting so positively! There are lessons there for all of us.