PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur and Dentist

hunny
25-10-07, 18:20
Hi

I dont post a lot these days but read when I can

I was told I had a heart murmur 2.5 years ago after I had a funny turn at work
I had an ecg,echo and 24hr monitor before being told my murmur was benign

I have been having terrible neuralgia pain on the right side of my head and eye and ear for a months now and its got severe recently so much so that Im in tears most of the time
I managed to see a dentist today as over the past two weeks my tooth has been sore at that side.She gave me xrays and said she can see a tiny bit of decay but thats all.

She noticed on my medical sheet that I had a heart murmur and said depending on the type of murmur I might need anti Bs before any treatment.She got in touch with my Dr who told her that I would need the antibiotics.Im so worried now,why do I need the antibiotics if the murmur is benign?I thought they only did this for people with valve defects etc.I know what they are for just worried I have a heart condition that I didnt know about :(
Also,they cant do any treatment until later next week and thats as an emergency!!
Can anyone help?
TIA
Hunny x

fretty freda
25-10-07, 18:42
dont panic i am not a dentist but i am the next best person you will speak to on here to do with dental problems i have worked along side a dentist for the past 6 years and i know of many patients who need antibiotic cover its common proceedure for patients with heart murmor ect best to be on the safe side the dentist knows best trust him ,
can i also say maby your pain is to do with clentching and grinding your teeth maby even when your asleep just a thought because its a common problem with stressed patients ask the dentist next time you go if it could be a possible cause of the pain they might make you a gum shield to wear at night

hope this helps:hugs:

Piglet
25-10-07, 21:09
It was picked up 21 years ago that I have a heart murmur too (when I was pregnant with my first piglet) and ever since then I have antibiotics every time I have dental treatment.

Don't worry about it hun it's general practice and although my GP said a few years ago that he can't even hear my heart murmur anymore I prefer to still have the antibiotics if I need treatment.

Love Piglet :flowers:

tt
26-10-07, 02:19
I too have a heart murmur and was told the same. I was told it is an extra precaution for infection. Just added measures. At least you know you are in safe hands. They deal with it all the time.

No worries!

MistyBlue
26-10-07, 13:08
The reason you need ABs are for preventative reasons only. When we have a heart murmur it's because the valve tends to not shut properly and leaks blood, which means blood tends to stay in the area just that little bit longer. Not dangerous though, loads of people have it. Because the blood does stay in the area, bacteria have more of a chance to cling to the valve. When we have dental treatment it releases loads of bacteria into our bloodstream, as it's the mouth. This is not a problem for most people, but those with murmurs it could potentially be, so hence the antibiotics.

neptuno
26-10-07, 19:08
Hello Hunny !
This is all sound practical advice. AB's are purely precautionary - I hope you feel really, really, really, really reassured - you can sail through the treatment now knowing you will be 100% fine.
Be kind to yourself

hunny
28-10-07, 21:34
Hi

Im still terrified but thank you all so much for replying
I really appreciate it

Hunny x