PDA

View Full Version : White spots on tonsil!?

UserName20
27-08-20, 16:46
Every morning when I wake up my throat is dry. This has been happening for weeks and goes away soon after I’m up and drinking. Today it happened as always, and I am not sure why but something caused me to look in the back of my throat. My left tonsil has two white spots on it. I started panicking and called my dr. I have checked my temperature several times, no temp, and my throat really doesn’t hurt. They told me that right now to just watch it and watch for any other symptoms because then they could test me for strep. They told me that I may not even be getting sick and that it could just be tonsil stones as well. Me watching for symptoms is one of the worst things I can be told, I am already overly cautious with everything going on and my mind hangs onto any little symptom. When I got off the phone I am so nervous I am wondering if I couldn’t breathe right, I then calmed myself down and realized that was the anxiety talking.

I do work as a cashier and I actually quit a few days ago because I was having break downs at work and crying every single shift and getting screamed at my customers when I asked them to wear their masks. I had one gut say he was going to sue me because I just asked him if he could put his on because of our store policy. I have had people pull theirs down and laugh to their friends saying “she can’t even do shit” before coughing several times. I have so many people come through my line who are so obviously sick and those are the ones who decide they are going to pull theirs off or wear it around their chin.

To make matters worse, my sister who lives at the house with us is going into the hospital tomorrow to have her baby, so anyone of us getting sick right now would be VERY bad.

They said if anything changes they would go ahead and just test me for strep. I am going to urgent care and I’m sure they will test me for strep.

UserName20
27-08-20, 20:39
I went to urgent care. They tested me for strep. Other than telling me that my tonsils are big ( every doctor tells me that ) they told me that there can be many causes for the white patches. They told me that I do not worry about getting anyone sick, because as of right now they do not believe my body is fighting anything off.

AntsyVee
27-08-20, 20:42
They told me that I may not even be getting sick and that it could just be tonsil stones as well.

Most likely

UserName20
28-08-20, 00:05
I’m trying to trust the doctor, I’ve just never had my tonsils turn white before and have these white spots. I looked up tonsil stones and they look exactly like them. Since my strep test was negative I’m now convinced this is covid. But my throat doesn’t even really hurt... yet my tonsils have white patches. If I hadn’t looked in my throat today I would not have known anything! I have been spending a lot of time with my sister and she got tested for covid yesteday since she was going into the hospital tomorrow to be induced and she was negative and I have been around her a lot. Then again these aren’t really typical covid symptoms either. I don’t think covid ever crossed my doctors mind

WiseMonkey
28-08-20, 01:52
My brother and I both had these, it's bad bacterial infection, likely tonsillitis. We both ended up have our tonsils removed I was 20 and he was 22. My brother had quinsy tonsils which were abscesses.

UserName20
28-08-20, 05:14
The white coating kind of moves it’s really weird. My other tonsil now has white spots. I ate some bread and looked in the back of my throat and I saw some blood on my tonsil. I am very scared and am calling my dr right away in the morning

UserName20
28-08-20, 16:16
I am a bit frustrated. My family doctor still will not see me which is why I had to go to urgent care yesterday. They told me if I had a negative strep test then there’s nothing they can do. I know that the strep test was negative, but something is causing my tonsil to have all of these white stones like splotches. I do not have a sore throat, no fever or anything.

The doctor yesterday told me I do not need to worry about infecting anyone because without a sore throat or fever this is unlikely to be something contagious. I just want to know what this is then?? My sister who lives with us is in the hospital in labor right now and after she has the baby will be home in a day or two. I can’t risk getting anyone sick. I’m just stressed out I feel like I need help and nobody will help me.

Fishmanpa
28-08-20, 17:35
To quote the POTUS... "It is what it is" :shrug: You don't have a physical issue. As suggested, tonsil stones are the most likely explanation.

Positive thoughts

Gary A
28-08-20, 18:10
You said that for some reason you looked in your throat, implying this isn’t something that you do very often. How do you know they haven’t always been like this?

If there was an infection, your tonsils would be inflamed and very painful. Your tonsils are an extension of your lymphatic system, if they were infected you would be in considerable pain and your lymph nodes would also be swollen.

It’s almost 100% certain to be tonsil stones. Covid-19 doesn’t present with white spots. White spots caused by bacterial infection are gatherings of pus caused by the lymphatic system fighting said bacteria. Covid-19 is a virus, it infects and destroys cells microscopically, you cannot see it.

.Poppy.
28-08-20, 20:32
First off, I'm sorry you had to leave your job. People suck, hard.

Keep in mind that not every illness is COVID - you can still get sick with any number of minor things, like any other time. I agree, it's probably tonsil stones. As your throat isn't hurting I don't think there really is much to be concerned about.

UserName20
29-08-20, 01:14
Thank you guys for your responses. Still no fever or sore throat. Some of the white actually came off with a q tip. The only bad thing is that I just has a couple of bouts of diarrhea... the only other explanation I have is just the fact that my sister is delivering and is in a lot of pain and I am really worked up over that and have been pacing around the house.

Update: I was feeling around my neck and I do feel a swollen lymph node I think ☹️ Nobody is able to do a rapid test on me though and nobody is able to tear me until Monday so I wouldn’t even know my results for a week and my sister will be home hopefully Sunday with the new baby... I am so stressed

.Poppy.
31-08-20, 22:36
I'm sure the tummy troubles are due to stress. I've had so many problems with my stomach the last few months. It's not abnormal.

And the lymph node? It could very well be down to the irritation on your tonsil or any number of things. Lymph nodes go up and down all the time. It's not covid specific, try to relax, you will be fine :)